Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
CaptainChaos

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting Till July 26th

Post by CaptainChaos »

Batgirl, that is a very interesting theory. Imagine having to ensure your fans were always happy.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Updated Theseus with some answers to those three questions.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting Till July 27th

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:57 pm I put a "Recruiting Till July 26th" in the title just to prevent "Am I too late?" stuff :).
Excellent. I am having to rethink what I was going to do. I originally just going to go with the brick with a brain archetype, but... ;)

I may have to let this one go anyway. I'm going to be pretty busy for the next few weeks and if I did get in, I don't want to be a drag on the game. I'll keep mulling.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting Till July 27th

Post by Jabroniville »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:31 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:57 pm I put a "Recruiting Till July 26th" in the title just to prevent "Am I too late?" stuff :).
Excellent. I am having to rethink what I was going to do. I originally just going to go with the brick with a brain archetype, but... ;)

I may have to let this one go anyway. I'm going to be pretty busy for the next few weeks and if I did get in, I don't want to be a drag on the game. I'll keep mulling.
Aw, boo. I'd like to see you around. That's okay, though- you can always join later. With any luck, another player might die or something :)!
Jabroniville

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)

Post by Jabroniville »

Yojimbo wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:23 pm I'm probably too late, but I'm submitting anyway.
THESEUS: Interesting! The "Greek Heroes" had always gone largely unexplored in my mythos, so it's unique to have one of them kicking around. The "Eternal Warrior" thing is a good angle, and PL 8 befits those old heroes (great warriors, but they had to be CLEVER as much as skilled).

The "Pankration" thing is interesting.
Ghost of Krypton

Post by Ghost of Krypton »

Inspired by Blink, my new submission, Blind Side, is a combo weapon master & teleporter.

The build is up because it's a little complicated, applying enhanced extra's (representing his ability to teleport his weapons as he throws them), to his device (Tron like plasma discs) ... I really like the concept, background is partially done, had to rework it when I read that naturally developed super powers are less common, so coming up with an accident that will expose him to strange energies that will forever change him.

Anyways, thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Also really looking forward to a baddie escaping by plane, and one of our super strength heroes fast ball specialing Blind Side, close enough for him to port onto the plane!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:56 am GALACTICA
GALACTICA: Funny Skinned Space Babes are always a necessity in the industry, so I like it. Low Mental Abilities without being Min-Maxed is good. Some unique and interesting racial abilities that are as much for flavor as anything is inventive and appreciated. The Kinetic Strike is powerful, but there's nothing overly concerning (I've been trained to raise an eyebrow every time I see "Affects Insubstantial" on a character sheet, but as its Kinetic Force, I can get behind it). The "Kinetic Throw" is possibly concerning, as it requires no attack roll, but as Moving Something doesn't necessarily do damage, it seems okay.

The Kinetic Field is interesting- more or less a "Cap-Modifying" deal?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’m wondering if I should drop “Polyglot” from my build... Maia should be able to speak several languages, due to her background, but the cost of the Languages Advantage has always kind of bothered me.

It doesn’t distinguish at all based on the usefulness of the languages being spoken. A hero who knows English, Arabic, Chinese, and Spanish is going to get a lot more use out of those points than someone who speaks English, Te Reo Māori, Tuvaluan, and Samoan...

Then there’s the Comprehend Languages Effect, which becomes dirt cheap once you add the Broad Type Flaw.

I mean, for 3 PP of the Languages Advantage you can be fluent in eight languages or for 3 PP of Comprehend Languages (Broad [Human]) you can be fluent in every form of language used by mankind!

I’m usually not one to object to spending a couple PP here and there on “flavor” options in my builds. But, yeah, the points efficiency disparity here is just too stark.

Edit to Add: A thought popped into my head as I posted this: Would an “Insight Check Required” Flaw or maybe Unreliable be pushing things too far? The idea being that she might or might not know any given language. Setting up a Wolverine-and-Beast style: “I didn’t know you spoke Japanese/Pashtu/Farsi/Russian?” “You never asked.”
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ghost of Krypton wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:50 pm Blindspot [PL 8/150PP]
BLINDSPOT: Okay, so a Weapon-Using guy now- that's solid. What's the "Internal Translocation" part? The Affliction? If it's Impairing & Disabling Toughness, wouldn't Weaken work a bit better? That power's more or less designed to do that, I think. Though I see you've put "Instant Recovery" on it, so it's more like... reducing Toughness temporarily, just for his attack? It's a bit odd, but as it's only four ranks, it's not exactly a game-breaker, lol.

And... he has multiple options for an Extra to the Discs, then? Multiattack, Alternate Resistance, or Indirect/Extra Range? And a Teleport that looks more like my "Fighting Game" builds than Team Teleporter stuff.

It all comes together in an interesting way- Lower damage, but higher accuracy and a bit inventive with the way it works.

I don't see his attack stats listed, but I'm seeing... +12 Accuracy (thought it was +8, but saw Ranged Attack- I usually combine everything together for Skills), and +4 Ranged Damage, linked to +4 Affliction? So he'd only be PL 6 with those? Wouldn't the Accurate Advantage in the one extra make him PL 9 then?
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:19 am I’m wondering if I should drop “Polyglot” from my build... Maia should be able to speak several languages, due to her background, but the cost of the Languages Advantage has always kind of bothered me.

It doesn’t distinguish at all based on the usefulness of the languages being spoken. A hero who knows English, Arabic, Chinese, and Spanish is going to get a lot more use out of those points than someone who speaks English, Te Reo Māori, Tuvaluan, and Samoan...

Then there’s the Comprehend Languages Effect, which becomes dirt cheap once you add the Broad Type Flaw.

I mean, for 3 PP of the Languages Advantage you can be fluent in eight languages or for 3 PP of Comprehend Languages (Broad [Human]) you can be fluent in every form of language used by mankind!

I’m usually not one to object to spending a couple PP here and there on “flavor” options in my builds. But, yeah, the points efficiency disparity here is just too stark.

Edit to Add: A thought popped into my head as I posted this: Would an “Insight Check Required” Flaw or maybe Unreliable be pushing things too far? The idea being that she might or might not know any given language. Setting up a Wolverine-and-Beast style: “I didn’t know you spoke Japanese/Pashtu/Farsi/Russian?” “You never asked.”
I've been telling people to take Languages for cheaper- I don't charge if it's only one language, and I usually say "A Few" for 1 Rank, and "Lots" for 2. So feel free to just take a 1-2 Rank power for it. I... honestly can't imagine overly using that Advantage in play anyways. I'm a bit curious as to so many people taking it, because I always ignore that for my own builds, lol.

I just don't have enough Foreign Villains statted out for it to be overly useful anyways :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Okay, I THINK I've responded to everything, but this topic's been rather busy (yay!), so I might have missed something. Did I skip something, or someone's build?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Given the Thundering Horde that's showed(along with the Glutt of Bricks),it pains me to have to bow out of Contention.... :cry: :cry:
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I'm not married to the Affect Insubstantial really. It was mainly so as not to add a lot of ranks of reach or max out improved critical and penetrating didn't seem appropriate on this one, so I spread the points out amongst the three things. But like you said, seeing as it's cosmic kinetic force, it kinda makes sense. Ultimately, I figured insubstantial would probably be seldomly encountered and shrugged my shoulders and added it. If I were to make any changes, Kinetic Strike would probably be one of them.

Kinetic Throw doesn't require an attack roll, BUT it does require her to be touching someone. What it does not do is automatically allow her to be touching someone. THAT still requires an attack roll, unless she is grappling, or being grappled, or out of combat simply touching someone casually already. So if she was NOT grappling and for whatever reason wanted to skip right to the throw, she would still need an attack roll to touch her target, which itself would be a standard action, meaning she can't actually skip right to the throw without surging via extra effort.

Grab-based with her already having Fast Grab was avoided since that would have been horrifically broken on the action economy (Punch, grab, throw, possible collision damage, all in a single action....yup, broken.). And it's still a standard action to use, so she CAN be safely grappled and enemies might get some hits in before her turn where she can try and use this power. It's also not omni directional, so if grappled by more than one person, she has to pick one to try and launch away from herself. And lastly, throwing someone/thing with any accuracy would require a ranged attack roll with her Throwing modifier, because obviously.

(I put a lot of thought into how this power works into the flow of combat and her own personal style not to mention how it may impact combat overall, mainly because I wanted it to be sort of iconic for her to grab someone, and throw them into someone else, or through a wall or whatever.)

And yes, the Kinetic Field is a cap swap of defense and toughness. I picture it as the kinetic energy reinforcing her physically while she concentrates on sort of "flexing" it in a sustained manner rather than the quick bursts she uses with attacks and leaping, which is why her dodge and parry suffer. It's not so much concentration she can't attack, but it does perceptibly slow her reactions some.

But yeah, overall, I'm really happy with how she turned out. Her mechanics are pretty straight forward, she's more that middle of the road type with her mainly balanced attack and defense attributes and fills the striker and single target lockdown role fairly well, which is appropriate given her one on one wrestling combat background. :)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:43 am Given the Thundering Horde that's showed(along with the Glutt of Bricks),it pains me to have to bow out of Contention.... :cry: :cry:
Aw, how come? I wanted to see Mustang around! He fit into the backstory!
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:10 am
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:43 am Given the Thundering Horde that's showed(along with the Glutt of Bricks),it pains me to have to bow out of Contention.... :cry: :cry:
Aw, how come? I wanted to see Mustang around! He fit into the backstory!
Really? Who's going to be accompanying Tachyon to honky tonk bars, getting drunk and starting massive bar fights and riots? Mako? Thermal? :x '

Tachy needs to find a new drinking buddy. :cry: