Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
L-Space

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting Till July 23rd

Post by L-Space »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:56 am
MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:49 am Taking a swig of his Nuke-A-Cola,Todd returned snarkily
"Why not call him Sawyer,like he asked?"
"Clearly we're going to have to get HuMayne to spring for a Monty Python DVD boxed set for the headquarters."
"Wait wait wait... DVDs? Do our headquarters not have streaming?!"
Formerly luketheduke86
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Minor tweeks to PC. Brought his skills and feats more in line with his background. Also got rid of the Slam immunity, didn't want it to be something he can spam out all the time.
Formerly luketheduke86
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:56 am Woodclaw told me the typical limit of a PBP game is about eight players, which makes sense. I was aiming for 8-10, as that would actually fit the story a bit (a guy trying to make a new, successful super-team). Real-world comics typically have 7 as the "Sweet Spot" (Teen Titans, X-Men in their prime, etc.).
Oh, Jab. Woodclaw is a mere mortal. Does he not know who you are?

The man that’s been posting 50 builds a week since 2007.

The man that statted Wicked. Twice.

These limits do not apply to MNM deities like you. Reign down your Canadian awesomeness upon them and show them 30 characters is child’s play for you. 8-)
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:32 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:56 am Woodclaw told me the typical limit of a PBP game is about eight players, which makes sense. I was aiming for 8-10, as that would actually fit the story a bit (a guy trying to make a new, successful super-team). Real-world comics typically have 7 as the "Sweet Spot" (Teen Titans, X-Men in their prime, etc.).
Oh, Jab. Woodclaw is a mere mortal. Does he not know who you are? The man that’s been posting 50 builds a week since 2007.

The man that started Wicked. Twice.

These limits do not apply to MNM deities like you. Reign down your Canadian awesomeness upon them and show them 30 characters is child’s play for you. 8-)
Even Gods bleed. 8-)
Ken

Post by Ken »

L-Space wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:56 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:56 am
MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:49 am Taking a swig of his Nuke-A-Cola,Todd returned snarkily
"Why not call him Sawyer,like he asked?"
"Clearly we're going to have to get HuMayne to spring for a Monty Python DVD boxed set for the headquarters."
"Wait wait wait... DVDs? Do our headquarters not have streaming?!"
We have to keep the communication and internet lines open for emergency calls and the like.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

“Bonus features, bro. The DVDs are chock full of ‘em, they never include that stuff in the streaming copies.”
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

And communication and streaming lines can be hacked

not that I would ever do such a thing of course.

But seriously Mako, Dolphins gone wild? tsk tsk
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Loki

Post by Loki »

Can an Invention amplify an existing power - or does it need to be a stand alone device? e.g. If you can lift 1 ton, can you get something that makes you stronger than any mortal that uses the device?

Wondering if I can get back and forth to school via Teleport, but guessing the distances are going to be an issue, unless we start in Boston.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Loki wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:00 am Can an Invention amplify an existing power - or does it need to be a stand alone device? e.g. If you can lift 1 ton, can you get something that makes you stronger than any mortal that uses the device?

Wondering if I can get back and forth to school via Teleport, but guessing the distances are going to be an issue, unless we start in Boston.
As far as I understand the rules,yes it can but not by much.You have a high Flight right?....anyone know off top of their head how long a Regular no-problem flight from Boston to Florida is?(this is ASSUMING Mega City is on the Eastern Seaboard)
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Average nonstop flight seems to be 3 hours 10 mins give or take that's time rank 10

distance of 1284 via traffic thats distance rank 18

So KOS has an exteneded teleport rank of 12 (rank 4 + 8 extended) which equals Distance 18 minus Speed rank 12 means he could port from Boston to oralando in 8 minutes (Time rank 6) basically making multiple extended jumps

least if my math is correct
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

catsi563 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:25 am Average nonstop flight seems to be 3 hours 10 mins give or take that's time rank 10

distance of 1284 via traffic thats distance rank 18

So KOS has an exteneded teleport rank of 12 (rank 4 + 8 extended) which equals Distance 18 minus Speed rank 12 means he could port from Boston to oralando in 8 minutes (Time rank 6) basically making multiple extended jumps

least if my math is correct
Would he be able to do a 'Straight Jump' if he had an....Anchor,let's call it...That would pull him here WITHOUT the multiple jumps?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The straight-line “as the crow flies” distance between New York City and Miami is 1,000 Miles, give or take.

So a character with Flight 9 or Speed 9, who isn’t especially hurrying, can make it in in one hour. (Although the guy going by ground probably cannot go in straight line easily. Following the I-95 interstate most of the way adds about 300 miles to the trip.)

Teleport 18 or Teleport 10 with Extended will get you there instantly.

Leaping is interesting since it always tops out at a 250 MPH speed at Rank 7+, so although the distance covered per jump can vary the Move Action you use to jump is negligible. If you have Leaping 7+, you’re looking at four hours and a few 6 second move actions to make the trip.

Burrowing is also quirky since the speed travelled Barrie’s based on the density of the ground you’re burrowing through. For simplicity’s sake, let’s just say it’s all the baseline dirt and not hard clay, packed earth, or dense rock. You’ll need Burrowing 14 to make it in one hour.

Swimming is the really tricky one since you obviously can’t just go in a straight line and you cannot even follow the highways. There’s also no easy way to calculate the absolutely shortest distance by water since, well, really no one travels this kind of distance by swimming. On the other hand, plenty of ships and boats make this sort of trip all the time. Searoutes.com is a handy little app that is sort of a GoogleMaps for shipping lanes. It’s handy. According to them, USNYC to USMIA is 964.13 NM (that’s 1109.5 of your landlubber miles). Round that down to an 1,000 miles and you’ll need Swimming 11 to make it in one hour.

Did I miss any Movement Effects?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:32 am Would he be able to do a 'Straight Jump' if he had an....Anchor,let's call it...That would pull him here WITHOUT the multiple jumps?
If a character has the same Effect from two different sources in their build, say Protection from a “mutant tough skin power” and a “body armor device,” by default they stack.

You could build a Device or Equipment that grants the Extended Teleport Effect, maybe with the Limit that it only brings people to its location, and have that “stack” with your “real” Teleport Effect.

Alternatively, and most simply, is to sink a few Equipment Ranks into a modest Headquarters and ask the GM for a “Base Teleporter” as a Feature. These sorts of Teleporters usually only work on a ‘from the hidden base to a specific point in the city and back’ but they’re cheap. Think the JLA’s teleporter system from Young Justice.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Loki wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:00 am Can an Invention amplify an existing power - or does it need to be a stand alone device? e.g. If you can lift 1 ton, can you get something that makes you stronger than any mortal that uses the device?

The simple answer is yes and no.

Yes mechanically it would allow you to boost your ranks in another power.

No, an invention is meant to be a single scene use before shorting out or needing a hero point to use again. Even making it again, you only skip the design phase and have to build it normally with no differentiation of repairing the invention to work again and building a new one entirely (kind of a game balance thing...it doesn't make a lot of sense logically outside of game balance, but without it, Inventor, Artificer and Ritualist would be waaaay too powerful)

An HQ with a build in device making it a static point to point transportation teleport as BG3 suggested would be your best, and cheapest, option here.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

I'm bowing out. There is simply no idea presenting itself. I hope you'll have a lot of fun with this game!