Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
RainOnTheSun

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:41 am DOCTOR MERCURY: I like the whole "Bio-Tech" thing. Very unique, and can be used for a lot of interesting things when you spend more points (Gills? Extra Limbs? Who knows?). The SKY-HIGH Awareness kinda threw me for a second, but it looks like a quick way to just give her really good Insight & Perception and stuff :).

"Mutants", as they are in Marvel, aren't really a thing, but "born with strange powers" still happens. It can provide some mystery. The backstory of being a misanthrope works.

The Inventing aspect can work, I think, without being too broken. MAYBE have some limitations as to the time certain cocktails can be made, possibly- they may need actual time to mix or settle- things that Quickness can't enhance. I can still Hero Point you and arbitrarily make it more difficult :). Actually... how about make only the first four ranks of Quickness available for Inventing? I know that Inventions are somewhat limiting, but the potential for abuse is there, since this is basically like having 20 extra points available for a "scene".

I'm not sure how "broken" it is, per se, but I could watch it carefully. You probably couldn't have more than one per "adventure" (perhaps dangerous things happen if the drugs combine?). You could also shave off some stuff (the super-high ST & AWA), and shove things into an array, allowing more regular access to some powers (the Strength could even be IN the array). I like the character overall, though.
I generally assume inventors can't have more than one gadget on them at a time. I can drop the Quickness to 4 ranks altogether if you want, especially if there's going to be a dedicated speedster in the party. I'd probably put the 2 points into more enhanced senses, or immunity to critical hits. The Awareness is mostly to make her very good at sensing things without actually being formally trained in it at all, but I'll think about an array to give her some permanent powers that are more distinctive than just "really good at everything a normal person can do." Thanks!

(I might take The Crusher as an enemy, too: looking at his bio again, Professor Utron basically had the holy grail of biotechnology and this idiot ruined it for everybody.)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:43 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:19 am I am going to be making a martial artist, scrapper/striker type. While you might think chi-use at first, I'm actually going for a kinetic energy enhancer to pop in a little energy controller. Working on the build itself now, what I am thinking of though, is there any kind of televised superhero fighting federation type deal? Superpowered equivalent of the WWE?
Yes, indeed! Here's some guys from it:
The Crusher
The Ogre

Typically, it's a place for criminals and "quasi-legal" types, but it's VERY common for superheroes to get railroaded into joining. There's even a guy whose power actually increases the likelihood of the heroes fighting.
How does that last part work exactly?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:38 am
Ken wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:43 am le Petit Hercule - PL 9
LA PETIT HERCULE: haha, an arrogant French strongman, AND he ties into the backstory of one of my least-used Golden Agers. You suck-up :).

The two Close Attacks seem superfluous to me- they can probably be combined into one.

Which arrays are springing off of one another? There's no baseline costs to help me figure out what's an Alt-Effect of what. Like, is his Fighting Strength packing an Alt-Effect that's Extra Lifting? What's his total Lifting Strength, too? Like I mentioned with Mustang, my "Baseline Strengths" fit more the Mark Gruenwald Marvel Universe than the "pick up cities" DC one.
I like legacy heroes. His being French was more of a convenience, based on where Evan died.

Here's the simplified build. Only one set of Alt-Effects (Running or Jumping). Max lifting down to 16 (1600 tons).

(trimmed to avoid confusion)

Current write-up
Last edited by Ken on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:02 am, edited 7 times in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:03 am
Camus wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:11 pm Mirror Man
MIRROR MAN: I like the origin and him being permanently odd-looking. I think Immunity to Energy Attacks should be 20 points baseline (Fire Damage ALONE is 5 points, as is any other kind of Energy Damage), making the "Polished Finish" power as a whole 40 points. "Mirror Surroundings" is a cool idea, though. PL 9 (145) doesn't fit the requirements, either. I think the math is off, as well- I cound 46 ranks of skills, for 23 points. 25 points of Advantages, too. I think he's 156 points (176 with what I think is "proper" for his Immunity/Reflection power), but I'd have to re-check all the math (I'm having trouble reading your "Defenses" section, but maybe that's because I'm more used to the way I do mine).
Glad you liked him! So for the immunities, the rules say 20 for immunity to energy (like a descriptor, so all forms of it) I was thinking only attacks and not the actual descriptor for all types of energy. I could talk half effect and mask it cheaper too.
I was talking skills as rank/2 in pp, perhaps you take them differently? I'll re check the math and make it add up correctly.
My defense format is pretty straightforward, you add ranks (1pp/rank) and then all modifiers from powers, advantages and equipment to get the bonus total
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:40 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:43 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:19 am I am going to be making a martial artist, scrapper/striker type. While you might think chi-use at first, I'm actually going for a kinetic energy enhancer to pop in a little energy controller. Working on the build itself now, what I am thinking of though, is there any kind of televised superhero fighting federation type deal? Superpowered equivalent of the WWE?
Yes, indeed! Here's some guys from it:
The Crusher
The Ogre

Typically, it's a place for criminals and "quasi-legal" types, but it's VERY common for superheroes to get railroaded into joining. There's even a guy whose power actually increases the likelihood of the heroes fighting.
How does that last part work exactly?
Like so, with this build I did ages ago, but forgot to post (mostly because I had no art for it yet) :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Camus wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:08 pm
Camus wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:11 pm Mirror Man
MIRROR MAN: I like the origin and him being permanently odd-looking. I think Immunity to Energy Attacks should be 20 points baseline (Fire Damage ALONE is 5 points, as is any other kind of Energy Damage), making the "Polished Finish" power as a whole 40 points. "Mirror Surroundings" is a cool idea, though. PL 9 (145) doesn't fit the requirements, either. I think the math is off, as well- I cound 46 ranks of skills, for 23 points. 25 points of Advantages, too. I think he's 156 points (176 with what I think is "proper" for his Immunity/Reflection power), but I'd have to re-check all the math (I'm having trouble reading your "Defenses" section, but maybe that's because I'm more used to the way I do mine).
Glad you liked him! So for the immunities, the rules say 20 for immunity to energy (like a descriptor, so all forms of it) I was thinking only attacks and not the actual descriptor for all types of energy. I could talk half effect and mask it cheaper too.
I was talking skills as rank/2 in pp, perhaps you take them differently? I'll re check the math and make it add up correctly.
My defense format is pretty straightforward, you add ranks (1pp/rank) and then all modifiers from powers, advantages and equipment to get the bonus total
Ah, I see- "Attacks Only" works. Particularly since it ONLY works against Energy Attacks, so you couldn't bounce back bullets, thrown things, etc.

For his skills, you wrote:
Acrobatics 4 (+ 8 ), Deception 0 (+ 0 ), Athletics 8 (+ 8 ), Expertise (environmental sciences) 4 (+ 8 ), Insight 6 (+ 10 ), Treatment 0 (+ 4 ), Persuacion 0 (+ 0 ), Technology 0 (+ 4 ), Vehicles 6 (+ 6 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 0 ), Perception 10 (+ 14 ), Intimidation 0 (+ 0 ), Investigation 0 (+ 4 ), Stealth 8 (+ 12 ).
I counted 46 ranks of skills, and dividing that by two means the whole thing should cost 23 points. You listed 19 above it.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:13 am
MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:40 pm Hope you like Horses folks,cause here's Mustang!
emblem on back of Jacket
MYCTAHR(MUSTANG)-Todd Beauregard-Svyenko PL/PP:9/135?
MUSTANG: haha, co-opting the old hero from that company, I see. And Complications full of my OCs! Well, if you thought that would make me biased into being more favorable to your character... you're right :).

Your Stamina is ranked at 4, but I think you mean "10". I think his abilities are only 16 points. His Skills are, too. His Defenses look to be 8 points.

A weird bit, but the Strength is too high for my universe- the strongest person on Earth is Mega-Woman, who has Strength 13 and no Power-Lifting. Mustang has five ranks fewer than her and can lift many times more. Guess I shoulda made a point of that somewhere. I'd recommend you drop that Power-Lifting and throw it into his REALLY low Will Save.

Fighting 6 + Close Combat 2 is 8, and his Strength appears to only be 8, meaning he's PL 8 unarmed.

16 + 16 + 12 + 54 + 8 = 106 points. So if you want a PL 9 (135) guy, boost his stats by a ways. There's PLENTY of room for stuff- better Saves, more Skills, better Speed, etc.
allright,i'll get right on it.I kindof wanted him to come off as a Good Hero,just hampered by his "Family Reputation"(I.E.,his Dad The Crusher)....and done! :D
Last edited by MacynSnow on Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Working on an energy controller build. I gave a few old ones that were never accepted into games that I am looking at tweaking for submission. I am leaning towards fire or heat.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

I've worked a concept out on paper for a batmanish-type crimefighter. He'll be PL 8, but heavy on investigation, other skills and advantages. He'll also have a code against killing using non-lethal crimefighting gadgets. I see him as being a little older...perhaps early 30s. He came up as a police officer, but due to his keen mind he progressed to detective, then homicide detective, and ultimately to "internal affairs" (i.e. the police that police the police. :lol: )

Anyway, I'll have some time over the next couple of days to tweak him, develop a backstory and then post. I just wanted to give you a heads up.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

quick question:what's Languages under? i can't seem to find it in The Heroes Handbook....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:13 pm quick question:what's Languages under? i can't seem to find it in The Heroes Handbook....
It’s an Advantage; each rank you take in it doubles the number of languages you know. Rank 1 is two languages (native that everyone gets for free and one other), Rank 2 is four languages, Rank 3 is eight, and so forth...

This is generally not a very efficient use of points past Rank 1 or 2; since you can purchase the ability to speak and read every Human language for a mere 3 PP (see the “Polyglot” Power I used on my character.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:58 pm
Camus wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:08 pm
Ah, I see- "Attacks Only" works. Particularly since it ONLY works against Energy Attacks, so you couldn't bounce back bullets, thrown things, etc.

For his skills, you wrote:
Acrobatics 4 (+ 8 ), Deception 0 (+ 0 ), Athletics 8 (+ 8 ), Expertise (environmental sciences) 4 (+ 8 ), Insight 6 (+ 10 ), Treatment 0 (+ 4 ), Persuacion 0 (+ 0 ), Technology 0 (+ 4 ), Vehicles 6 (+ 6 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 0 ), Perception 10 (+ 14 ), Intimidation 0 (+ 0 ), Investigation 0 (+ 4 ), Stealth 8 (+ 12 ).
I counted 46 ranks of skills, and dividing that by two means the whole thing should cost 23 points. You listed 19 above it.
Awesome! Oh I know what's happening: his stealth is bought as part of his power but I listed the ranks there instead of as bonus directly. That's exactly the 4 points that seem to be missing
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:41 am DOCTOR MERCURY: I like the whole "Bio-Tech" thing. Very unique, and can be used for a lot of interesting things when you spend more points (Gills? Extra Limbs? Who knows?). The SKY-HIGH Awareness kinda threw me for a second, but it looks like a quick way to just give her really good Insight & Perception and stuff :).

"Mutants", as they are in Marvel, aren't really a thing, but "born with strange powers" still happens. It can provide some mystery. The backstory of being a misanthrope works.

The Inventing aspect can work, I think, without being too broken. MAYBE have some limitations as to the time certain cocktails can be made, possibly- they may need actual time to mix or settle- things that Quickness can't enhance. I can still Hero Point you and arbitrarily make it more difficult :). Actually... how about make only the first four ranks of Quickness available for Inventing? I know that Inventions are somewhat limiting, but the potential for abuse is there, since this is basically like having 20 extra points available for a "scene".

I'm not sure how "broken" it is, per se, but I could watch it carefully. You probably couldn't have more than one per "adventure" (perhaps dangerous things happen if the drugs combine?). You could also shave off some stuff (the super-high ST & AWA), and shove things into an array, allowing more regular access to some powers (the Strength could even be IN the array). I like the character overall, though.
I generally assume inventors can't have more than one gadget on them at a time. I can drop the Quickness to 4 ranks altogether if you want, especially if there's going to be a dedicated speedster in the party. I'd probably put the 2 points into more enhanced senses, or immunity to critical hits. The Awareness is mostly to make her very good at sensing things without actually being formally trained in it at all, but I'll think about an array to give her some permanent powers that are more distinctive than just "really good at everything a normal person can do." Thanks!

(I might take The Crusher as an enemy, too: looking at his bio again, Professor Utron basically had the holy grail of biotechnology and this idiot ruined it for everybody.)
Well, Gadget Guides state that Quickness only applies to the design part of Invention, not the construction part. So it would still take four hours per power point of the invention to complete building unless you jury-rig it.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:48 am
Psistrike wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:20 am And here is my character submission, Silver Witch. Not magical, the source of powers and how she gained them is a mystery which she seeks to unlock.

ImageSilver Witch
• Image used is sorceress lux by kyoffie12 from deviantart.
Quote "I am the silver lining that gives others hope."
Silver Witch
PL 9

SILVER WITCH: I dig the name and the power-set. REALLY low Fighting score- she better not try fisticuffs :). GL-Lite is a good set-up, overall. "Nobody recognizes her in costume" COULD be a Feature, but my own Ice Princess doesn't have that and has the same sort of deal, so I'll let SW get away with it :) (though thinking about it, maybe both should have it, lol). I like the character overall. The high Will Save is a reminder to me that I ALWAYS low-ball that stat for comics-accuracy, because I was all like "Why does a rookie hero have such high Will?" :).
Ah, the high will Save. For her it fits the concept for two reasons which she isn't fully aware of. One is that her will is connected to the strength of her power and control over it, two is that her power makes her harder to manipulate, intimidate, or control by any means but she thinks it's just because she is really stubborn.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Psistrike wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:47 pm
RainOnTheSun wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 am

Well, Gadget Guides state that Quickness only applies to the design part of Invention, not the construction part. So it would still take four hours per power point of the invention to complete building unless you jury-rig it.
Oh, Okay! I don't think I have that book, or at least haven't seen that bit. I assume a lot of people came up with that idea, then, and were treating it like Variable Power, lol :)?