Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
MacynSnow

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

Post by MacynSnow »

Flynnarrel wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:20 am The Hillbillies, having been subjected to an attack might be weaker and more cooperative, they have more to gain by talking to us if we explain we're just trying to keep the peace. OR They may have taken a prisoner or at least their descriptions can give more clues where to look next; Maynard only has external reports. We have no clue if Ninjas were involved - so let's prioritize going to the place where people were involved.
I actually agree with you on this one Flynnarrel, as the Hillbillies,while they APPEAR to be idiots,aren't necessarily that way for real.To run any successful operation like racketeering or protection,you have to have people that are good at their 'job'.They also happen to be our only witnesses to the attack...
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Okay, I’ll have Maynard say something tomorrow (I’m just getting through the mass of posts- remember, 1-2 a day is best :)), but he’s not really the “boss” on missions- just the bankrolled. Though I guess he can hire and fire everyone :).

I didn’t miss any direct questions or points where I should interject, did I?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:07 am
Flynnarrel wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:20 am The Hillbillies, having been subjected to an attack might be weaker and more cooperative, they have more to gain by talking to us if we explain we're just trying to keep the peace. OR They may have taken a prisoner or at least their descriptions can give more clues where to look next; Maynard only has external reports. We have no clue if Ninjas were involved - so let's prioritize going to the place where people were involved.
I actually agree with you on this one Flynnarrel, as the Hillbillies,while they APPEAR to be idiots,aren't necessarily that way for real.To run any successful operation like racketeering or protection,you have to have people that are good at their 'job'.They also happen to be our only witnesses to the attack...
But, this is also comic book logic, so, less a necessity. They can remain the silly cartoonish stereotype and function just fine.

Anyways, just to clarify from my side, I'm not against investigating the Hillbillies, I just think the logic is kind of backwards. Nothing said detrimentally about investigating the Ninjas first is wrong per se, but it's also running on a lot of assumption. Maybe they're ninja with a sense of honor and would not condone being impersonated. We don't know. (Though you have to admit, an honor-bound street gang based on ninjas is very comic book-esque depending on the age)

That all being said, I seriously doubt Jab would give us a choice of options and have one of them be an utter dead end, so ultimately, I don't think it actually matters which we go to aside from it possibly playing out differently (Like a choose your own adventure book, which are, interestingly, not too unlike roleplaying)
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:29 am I didn’t miss any direct questions or points where I should interject, did I?
1) Are you okay with the Grant International Airport, named after Ulysses S. Grant (18th President of the U.S.) being the Mega-City Airport?

2) Right before I went to bed, Adrien asked if the group has access to radios. That's probably a Maynard question.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I didn't get that the Shield was relinquishing his own link. When he said 'the other link' I assumed he meant the other link besides his. And since he's been talking in French, still no clue.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:33 am I didn't get that the Shield was relinquishing his own link. When he said 'the other link' I assumed he meant the other link besides his. And since he's been talking in French, still no clue.
The way I read it, it reads out "the other link" being that of the one other than the one being handed to "the resident genius" (Or as some view her, mad scientist).

Anyways, I am good to time forward along once we get an answer to Herc's pertinent question.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:49 am Rosa frowned as people started speaking French and excluding others from their conversation. In college they'd had seminars on how this was a form of racial bullying. She guessed these people hadn't had the same seminars. She kind of just stood there looking uncomfortable.
To be fair, one of them IS an alien and happens to be asking if it is an acceptable practice on Earth. Though reading back my post, it could come off as sarcastic and scolding, but she is acting unironically with the preface of explaining where the question is coming from.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Alright, I’ll have an answer for Adrien tomorrow. That’s enough posting for tonight (unless someone who hasn’t said anything yet wants to talk)- I’ll need a bit of time to type all that out.

The computer shop says my PC should be finished by Sunday. After that, I’ll probably do a proper flyover of the role playing. I considered pausing the game while I was out of commission, but I know stuff like that too early could be a death knell for things like this. In any case, there’s enough players to carry on without me being too involved. Though I swear some of y’all must be breaking my 1-2 per day rule still :).
Ken

Post by Ken »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:04 am The alien intergalactic translator, disguised as part of the decoration K'lara wore in her long, white hair of course translated everything into a single language....so self-translation in the same sentence as the untranslated would appear to her as Hercule simply repeating his name twice,
EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:32 am She watches Hercule and Henry speaking back and forth, noting they shifted to using the language Hercule wove into his English. She knew English was called that as part of her basic primer to Earth, she didn't know what language Hercule was using, only what he was saying thanks to her translator.
So.... Her translator device can't tell that different languages are being used when there are different languages being used. But it can tell if a different language is being used when it is the only one language is being used. I love the consistency.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:00 pm
EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:04 am The alien intergalactic translator, disguised as part of the decoration K'lara wore in her long, white hair of course translated everything into a single language....so self-translation in the same sentence as the untranslated would appear to her as Hercule simply repeating his name twice,
EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:32 am She watches Hercule and Henry speaking back and forth, noting they shifted to using the language Hercule wove into his English. She knew English was called that as part of her basic primer to Earth, she didn't know what language Hercule was using, only what he was saying thanks to her translator.
So.... Her translator device can't tell that different languages are being used when there are different languages being used. But it can tell if a different language is being used when it is the only one language is being used. I love the consistency.
I like to think of it in this way: The Translator copies the dominant Language within it's area if it's different than yours,otherwise your only gonna get bits&pieces....
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:00 pm
There’s a polite way to point out a potential inconsistency, and you didn’t pick it. Passive Aggression is like my least favourite thing. Please don’t ever do this again. Part of why I’m so annoyed people spam-posted the Recruitment Thread so badly during recruitment is that I couldn’t follow whenever this started between you two. I can’t deal with nine players, the game AND the sniping, especially without my pc.

I’ll have Maynard’s post tonight. Everyone please cool it with RPing until then.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

To clarify on the translator, that's not an inconsistency so much as a misunderstanding of how it's working.

It translates all languages in real time into a language she knows (Interlac), so yes she knows when someone is speaking a different language, even parsing multiple languages when people like Hercule weave words of multiple languages in. It also allows her to communicate back in those languages. Reasonably, it's only one language at a time, unable to let her weave in words of other languages like Hercule. Trying to do so would create an odd lag in her speech pattern (Which would probably be kind of silly to hear). Even I instances ofnappropriated words in a language would translate into their regular meaning to her.

What it does not do is translate context or proper syntax. What Hercule did when introducing himself was give his name, then manually translated it to English, but to K'lara, he simply repeated his name, weaving in some French as he has consistently done.

Just remember she is an alien, cultural and language misunderstandigs are part and parcel for the concept and she is sub-average in the intelligence department which can compound things. Her thinking Hercule's name was repeating the same two words twice was meant to be a joke of her misunderstanding.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

And just for fun;

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I've always wanted to know how the Star Trek universal translator gets the lip sync to be so perfect... Yes, the alien ambassador just said "Iyna Aiba-An Odu'n!" but the translator gives us "We come in peace!" in real time and it makes their mouths match. Amazing. :D
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:11 pm I've always wanted to know how the Star Trek universal translator gets the lip sync to be so perfect... Yes, the alien ambassador just said "Iyna Aiba-An Odu'n!" but the translator gives us "We come in peace!" in real time and it makes their mouths match. Amazing. :D
My best guess is holographic overlay, not to mention some kind of ventriloquist and voice mimicry technology to make it sound like the person speaking from their mouth rather than from a device, and to mimic their voice tones correctly. Heck, not to mention masking their actual voice speaking in alien words.

That or technomancer magic.

Or it beams it right into their brains, altering their sense of perceptions accordingly.