Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
L-Space

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

Post by L-Space »

I just realized I completely misread the post where the furries left the note (I thought they were attacking), so I'll edit my post.
Formerly luketheduke86
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

It happens L-space,so don't worry to much about it...

I'm wondering if i need to roll Persuasion or not on the Exposition-heavy thing i just wrote.While it IS the truth,i don't think the Cops'll believe it....
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Can always roll it and if Jab does want it, then you've already done it, and if not, then he can just ignore it (or secretly apply it to something....else... S'what I would do :twisted: )

K'lara's just kinda keeping Fist controlled and watching over the other Weapon Masters since she doesn't want everyone to go out to the cops only for the Weapon Masters pulling a real ninja and vanishing, so nothing of significant substance to really make up a decent post.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I posted that Semilla created reatraints for Fist to free K'lara up.

Semilla's created restraints for all of them.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I missed that, but K'lara has nothing really to add to talking to the cops, and the created restraints are going to be inferior to her grapple, so even if she just releases Fist to it, if everyone filters outside before the cops come INSIDE, the Weapon Masters, the ones that are still conscious anyways, could slip away.

So it makes more sense for K'lara to keep a hold on Fist regardless of the added wooden restraints from a narrative standpoint as well as a logical one.

Sem can still add her wooden restraints and all, a little added insurance never hurt anyone, it's just not going to affect what K'lara is doing. :)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sorry for the delays- it’s our Thanksgiving, plus a weekend with the family and a friend’s father’s funeral, so I haven’t been able to do Maynard’s arrival just yet.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Don't worry about it, take your time.

By the way, I can make a Perception check for Doctor Mercury if you want me to. I just don't actually expect the Baseball Furries to attack the interview. Of course, I've been wrong before... :?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I think the ic thread glitched. At first I though Jab just missed my post, but looking at the timestamps on the posts, Jab's seems to have been posted before mine, despite showing up after mine in my feed. Not sure if it shows up that way for anyone else for that matter.

Shame. Was a good roll too.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

It shows up that way for me, too. Weird.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:19 pm I think the ic thread glitched. At first I though Jab just missed my post, but looking at the timestamps on the posts, Jab's seems to have been posted before mine, despite showing up after mine in my feed. Not sure if it shows up that way for anyone else for that matter.

I saw yours before I posted, but I was going in order of which I’d seen. I wanted to respond to the Shield yesterday, but kept falling asleep, so it was impossible. I’ll have responses for some others tonight, but the length of replies makes it more time consuming.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Did you see Hercule's from Friday morning?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:34 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:19 pm I think the ic thread glitched. At first I though Jab just missed my post, but looking at the timestamps on the posts, Jab's seems to have been posted before mine, despite showing up after mine in my feed. Not sure if it shows up that way for anyone else for that matter.

I saw yours before I posted, but I was going in order of which I’d seen. I wanted to respond to the Shield yesterday, but kept falling asleep, so it was impossible. I’ll have responses for some others tonight, but the length of replies makes it more time consuming.
Ahh, no worries. It just seemed your last post was wrapping everything up as if you hadn't seen my post, since if I'd seen your post first, I wouldn't have posted quite as I did since it seems now the issue is resolved.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:34 am I wanted to respond to the Shield yesterday, but kept falling asleep, so it was impossible.
Who needs sleeping pills when you have my posts? :lol:
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:34 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:34 am I wanted to respond to the Shield yesterday, but kept falling asleep, so it was impossible.
LOL
"Something pithy this way comes."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:34 am
Hey, it was 5 am, and you wrote a LOT. I wanted to give it the time it deserved :P. I was gonna write a "nobody add anything after this" post, but didn't want to mess anything up.

So that's the first chapter/story over with! I hope everyone had fun! It was... illuminating as to how games like this work.

Stuff I Learned:
* Martial artists are actually REALLY annoying opponents for more "balanced" PL 9 super-heroes. Most of y'all have high-damage & toughness, making you very easy to hit for these guys, but REALLY bad at hitting them in turns. I guess it makes sense- even their more average DC 20 "to-hit" scores are enough that a +9 strength guy will miss more than 50% of his punches. The fact that people tend to default to Power Attacking low-toughness opponents doesn't help.

* If these guys had been upgraded even a PL or two, you'd all be in VERY serious trouble.

* 9 vs. 13 battles are pretty fun, but a lot of work. The worst part was how hard it was to keep track of who was hurt- I forget once or twice by forgetting to transfer the damage to the front page, and it messes up the nature of the fight. It was entertaining how it was actually forcing people to not post all day long, though :).

* The team isn't really a "DETECTIVE" kind of team. Or maybe I just have no patience for that kind of stuff.

* When fights start, it's a LOT trickier to deal with all the heroes' movement. The fight started earlier than I expected/wanted it to, and the heroes awkwardly bouncing all over the place made me realize that "splitting the party" should only be done in 2 groups, maximum, from now on.

* Once the tide turned in the battle, it turned FAST. Some Weapon-Masters took some real punishment to bring down, though. But in the end, they were losing 3-4 members a round.

* I really went "Toughness Heavy" with the team and all its bricks. It made the poor Weapon-Masters have a HELL of a time actually harming anyone. Sadly, the players who DIDN'T max out their defenses got somewhat penalized for it. The game always WAS favoring of higher ST/Toughness, sadly.

* Bricks, while statistically advantageous, tend to be pretty limited in fights, at least in terms of "interesting stuff". So are weapon-fighters, I suppose. I mean, it leaves the tactics pretty simple.

* Nine players is probably enough, unless Batgirl comes back (she hasn't logged in since Aug. 10th). It would be fine, but players can be pretty demanding of attention at times, and NINE PEOPLE all creating large or recurring posts makes it unfair for both the GM and players who don't have as much free time. I probably won't replace BG.

Now It Can Be Told:

* The "Ninjas" thing was gonna be a total Red Herring, but I was expecting the team to investigate- either by splitting up, or by going to Little Osaka first. Depending on how many team members went, there was gonna be stuff there- possibly a super-villain leading the Ninjas or something. It woulda scaled up to the threat.

* The Hillbilly Territory had several "Action Points" where a character could "set off" part of the story. Anyone wandering around the streets would set it off, as would entering the bar. That's why I was irked when I didn't realize Hercule had gone off on his own, OUTSIDE the truck. It made the "Action Point" late. Nobody was ever gonna see squat by flying around in the air- the Hillbillies were always gonna be holed up in one place or another, waiting to re-take their territory.

* The Weapon-Masters were always holed up in the barn, ready to face the super-heroes. How many would be waiting by the entrance would depend on who arrived, and in what numbers. I REALLY wasn't expecting Dr. Mercury to just wander in by herself, as the arrival of ANYONE was supposed to set off the aggro of a whole group. This links to the point above, about hero movement and the trickiness of getting everyone together. I didn't want it to look dumb... but since that was the FINAL FIGHT of the session, I didn't want anyone to miss out, so I kind of had to awkwardly jam everyone in there.

* The Baseball Furries thing was a late addition- JUST IN CASE you started kicking too much ass, they were ready to invade. But then it took several rounds to put much of a dent in the Weapon-Masters, so I dropped them. And again, the Hillbillies (who WERE right behind you, remember- just lacking your Movement powers so they'd be late) would be on their tails, making that fight even MORE unwieldly. Their attacking the Hillbillies was meant to cap off the thing, and provide a wrinkle in the story- making it look to some of the public like the team was responsible, and to end things on a "down" note (the press in this universe are somewhat "Marvel"-like, being critical of heroes, though others are more noble about it).

So yeah... that's the first adventure! I've set up a handful of potential bits for the next chapter, and offered XP for people (1 is pretty standard, I think). Any advice from more experienced gamers?

Also, this is the ideal chance for anyone to bail because of reasons. I promise I won't be upset- these things can be time-consuming.