For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Shadowmask

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting Till July 23rd

Post by Shadowmask »

Since i saw that kid in the video above, this comes to mind:

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Shadowmask wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:33 am Since i saw that kid in the video above, this comes to mind:

DDDDAAAAAWWWWHHHH,he looks adorable! :D
Mutie Scum

Post by Mutie Scum »

Jabroniville,

I've been a fan of your writeups for years. And they have saved my M&M games more than once. It would be my pleasure to try out for this game whatever happens. :)

Why you might have to be away? I am a caregiver for a parent with pain and mobility issues. Some weeks are tougher than others and I don't always know which weeks ahead of time. The game may have to be on the back-burner until then (although I don't mind anyone playing the character should they wish).

Why you might have to leave? Menagerie may finally lose her human mind and have to be contained. This grim possibility has been prepared for.

Hannah Gaia Moreau was a happy enough child who just wanted to be a unicorn when she grew up. But then her daddy starting getting the headaches and forgetting things. At the time, she was too young to know what brain cancer meant. An experimental treatment using naked mole rat genes (which don't get cancer, not sharks as is commonly believed) was tried but the treatment was in its infancy and failed to help.

At his graveside Hannah promised herself that there would be something that worked for the next kid's dad even if she had to be the one to invent it.

Almost two decades of obsessive study led to scholarships, which led to internships, leading to a very young professorship in genetics, and finally a senior research position at a major biogenetics corporation years before her time.

Hannah was trying to make a transgenic library virus that would help the body it was in to adapt to stressful situations. Years of careful research proved the theoretical promise of such a nano-menagerie was at least a generation away from practical use. About to lose funding on this 'unpromising' line of research, Hannah cooked up a nano-beastie with far less safety protocols than was advised.

The new approach was not a viable option, what it turned the mice into shouldn't have a name. The only application the Proteus build seem to have was in bioweapons. She arrived unexpectedly at the lab one night to destroy her little realized nightmare. Unfortunately, someone else had the idea to steal the research and cover up the crime with a lab fire. Hannah tried to interfere in this volatile situation. There was an explosion...

The terribly alive microscopic architect had been splashed onto the nearly dead Hannah. It went to work doing what is was supposed to do, optimizing the host with Mother Nature's recipe book. First, she flatwormed and regenerated enough to eagle out of the lab and then dolphined in the nearby river enough to put her flames out, then flatwormed again.

The next few days were a blur for Hannah. But she was told later that she was attacked by her future superteam called out to handle this dangerous shape-shifting mutant. Once subdued, a telepath kenned that this was not a murderous supervillain but a frightened human intellect with no real control over its new ever-permutating form.

Months of therapy and training later, the new Menagerie is a reluctant superhero. Her team mates are there to support her and, if needed, to reluctantly contain her. More than once, Hannah has regressed to a near-animal intellect and it has taken longer and longer to return to lucidity. The next time might be permanent...

Powers:

Before her transformation, Hannah was highly trained, though non-combatant, doctor and polymath. Afterwards, she has become a barely-controlled, animalistic shape-shifter. She can shift from her human self, to a human-animal hybrid, to a full animal. All of this second by second, inch by inch, species by species. Most days are good days, and on a good day, Hannah averages a mythically-beautiful blend of human and animal features. Her form changes slightly by the second but usually with such grace and precision it is wonderous, rather than grotesque, to behold.

But there are bad days too. On a bad day, Hannah might lose her intellect or her hands, not be able to understand human speech or read printed words. Her future may be that of a mindless beast and, having witness her father's premature dementia,, terrifies her more than almost anything else. With concentration, she can usually be assured of one desired aspect of all of her possible forms but finer details are random and unpredictable.

In short, for every animalistic advantage Hannah has at a given moment, she sacrifices a little of her genius-level human intellect and agency.

Specific Powers:
Regeneration: Hannah always has a low-level of Regeneration active. This has saved her life more than any other power.
Metamorph/Shapeshift: This is always on, and with concentration, Hannah can hold onto a desired genetic structure. Her current level of control does not allow her to be a Mystique-level infiltrator.
Genetic Detection: Hannah can extrapolate a being from a DNA sample. This makes her a mobile genetics lab.

Let me know if this concept is an absolute deal-breaker. In the meantime, I will try and whip up some stats and squeak them in before deadline... ;)
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
- Hunter S. Thompson
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Just so anyone still looking to submit something, but not sure what, (And so Jab can have a detailed list for the front post for easier jumping to submissions >_>) here's a list of all currently completed submission and what they are in single sentence summaries of their apparent overall theme (If I am off base with anyone's feel free to correct)

Mako (Batgirll III) - Aquatic warrior with the weather controlling Trident of Poseidon
Dr.Mercury (RainOnTheSun) - Self genetic modifying speedster physician (Mad scientist?)
The Silver Witch (Psistrike) - Energy construct weilding magic girl
Mirror Man (Camus) - Team-protecting, energy-reflecting wall (Like a powerhouse, without the strength)
Mustang (MacynSnow) - Genetic lottery powerhouse progeny of a villain
Tachyon (Shadowmask) - Cyborg speedster
Blindspot (Ghost of Krypton) - High tech, genetic lottery teleporting costumed hero (Not a power armor, just some high tech gear her prodcured)
Le Petite Hercule (Ken) - Powerhouse empowered by an ancient relic
Semilla (Flynnarrel) - Druidic mage
Thermal (CaptainChaos) - Genetic lottery heat generator (Heat specifically, and not a controller of such)
Nightjar (Supernaturalist) - Standard-tech costumed detective
Galactica (EpicEclipse) - Alien wrestling warrior with cosmic kinetic energy generation
Theseus (Yojimbo) - Ageless immortal warrior of Olympian descent
Helix (Hawk) - Genetic lottery powerhouse with tactile telekinetic powers
Slyce (Thorpocalypse) - Genetically enhanced clawed warrior (Basically Wolverine ;))
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:02 am Just so anyone still looking to submit something, but not sure what, (And so Jab can have a detailed list for the front post for easier jumping to submissions >_>) here's a list of all currently completed submission and what they are in single sentence summaries of their apparent overall theme (If I am off base with anyone's feel free to correct)

Mako (Batgirll III) - Aquatic warrior with the weather controlling Trident of Poseidon
Dr.Mercury (RainOnTheSun) - Self genetic modifying speedster physician (Mad scientist?)
The Silver Witch (Psistrike) - Energy construct weilding magic girl
Mirror Man (Camus) - Team-protecting, energy-reflecting wall (Like a powerhouse, without the strength)
Mustang (MacynSnow) - Genetic lottery powerhouse progeny of a villain
Tachyon (Shadowmask) - Cyborg speedster
Blindspot (Ghost of Krypton) - High tech, genetic lottery teleporting costumed hero (Not a power armor, just some high tech gear her prodcured)
Le Petite Hercule (Ken) - Powerhouse empowered by an ancient relic
Semilla (Flynnarrel) - Druidic mage
Thermal (CaptainChaos) - Genetic lottery heat generator (Heat specifically, and not a controller of such)
Nightjar (Supernaturalist) - Standard-tech costumed detective
Galactica (EpicEclipse) - Alien wrestling warrior with cosmic kinetic energy generation
Theseus (Yojimbo) - Ageless immortal warrior of Olympian descent
Helix (Hawk) - Genetic lottery powerhouse with tactile telekinetic powers
Slyce (Thorpocalypse) - Genetically enhanced clawed warrior (Basically Wolverine ;))
Oh, I was keeping a list for my own needs, but I can re-post this to the front post if anyone needs to see it :).
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

artwork by Gary Pope @ Gary Pope's Deviantart.

Josiah the Rocket Fist.

System: Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition
Power Level:E ither PL 9 (135) or PL 8 (150)- you are either solid rookies/semi-pros, or very established lower-level guys.
Campaign PLs: Typicaly world PLs are PL 11-12 for Top-Tier Heroes (only a handful of those alive), PL 10 for Experienced Heroes, PL 8-9 for Rookies, Jobbers & Pros, and PL 7 and lower for real Jobbers.
Why Are You On The Team?: You were recruited by Some Rich Guy for his team of super-heroes. So basically, you're here to save lives and do it publicly.
Do you wanna help people? Be famous? Have protection? What? Josiah is a dedicated team player and defender of the helpless. He used to be bullied and picked on, and now stands up for those who have no power for themselves.
Why Might You Have To Be Away?: Caring for a mother recovering from a stroke, and my day job which tends to 10 pm late nights.
Why Might You Have To Leave?:

Josiah, the Rocket Fist - PL 8

Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 5, Intellect 0, Awareness 3, Presence 1

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Benefit: Respected, Capable Veteran Hero (aka Cyclops or Robin), Defensive Roll 4, Evasion, Improved Initiative 2, Leadership, Power Attack, Set-up, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 8 (+10), Athletics 4 (+6), Close Combat: Flame Sheathed Fist: Strength-based Damage 6 3 (+8), Close Combat: Unarmed 5 (+10), Deception 7 (+8), Expertise: Streetwise 8 (+8), Insight 6 (+9), Intimidation 6 (+7), Investigation 6 (+6), Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion 8 (+9), Ranged Combat: Fire Hand 8 (+10)

Powers
Elemental Constitution: Immunity 12 (Critical Hits, Life Support)
Fire Elemental
Fire Retro Rocket: Movement 1 (Safe Fall; Quirk: If Left Hand restrained, unusable)
Firehand Thrust: Leaping 6 (Leap 500 feet at 120 miles/hour)
Fireproof: Immunity 5 (Damage Effect: Fire Damage)
Fire Hand
Fire Blasts: Damage 6 (DC 21; Increased Range: ranged; Quirk: Generated From Left Hand Only)
Fire Shield: Deflect 10
Fireflash: Burst Area Affliction 6 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Unaware, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 16; Limited: Limited to Visual Senses Only, Quirk: Generated from Left Hand Only)
Flame Sheathed Fist: Strength-based Damage 6 (DC 23; Quirk: Generated from Left Hand only.)
Jet Thrust: Move Object 6 (3200 lbs., DC 21; Damaging; Limited Direction: Push Only, Quirk: Generated from Left Hand Only)
Open Flame: Environment 3 (Heat (Extreme), Light (Bright), Radius: 120 feet; Quirk: Generated from Left Hand Only)
Swingline Launcher: Movement 1 (Easily Removable, Swinging)

Offense
Initiative +10
Fire Blasts: Damage 6, +10 (DC 21)
Fireflash: Burst Area Affliction 6 (DC Fort 16)
Flame Sheathed Fist: Strength-based Damage 6, +8 (DC 23)
Grab, +5 (DC Spec 12)
Jet Thrust: Move Object 6, +10 (DC 21)
Throw, +2 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 17)

Complications
Monstrous: Josiah's left hand is nearly transparent and seen as a reddish outline around dark bones. He controls the temperature so that even though it looks constantly ablaze from within, he can touch objects without igniting them (though, they're quite warm.) As a side effect, unless he covers his hand in a heavy glove, his hand is always glowing slightly, giving him a -4 to stealth.
Motivation: Doing Good
Power Loss: If Left Hand is submerged, smothered by foam or fireproof blankets, he's incapable of utilizing his powers until he can dry out or remove his restraint.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 9, Toughness 6/2, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 34 + Powers 42 + Advantages 14 + Skills 37 (73 ranks) + Defenses 23 = 150

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

Complications
Monstrous: Josiah's left hand is nearly transparent and seen as a reddish outline around dark bones. He controls the temperature so that even though it looks constantly ablaze from within, he can touch objects without igniting them (though, they're quite warm.) As a side effect, unless he covers his hand in a heavy glove, his hand is always glowing slightly, giving him a -4 to stealth.
Motivation: Doing Good
Power Loss: If Left Hand is submerged, smothered by foam or fireproof blankets, he's incapable of utilizing his powers until he can dry out or remove his restraint.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 10, Toughness 6/2, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 34 + Powers 42 + Advantages 11 + Skills 39 (78 ranks) + Defenses 24 = 150

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

Creator's notes: From the song They Call The Wind Maria
"Away out here they got a name
For rain and wind and fire
The rain is Tess, the fire Joe,
And they call the wind Maria"

Joe is short for Josiah, the king who set fire to the temples of Baal.

Josiah isn't so religiously intolerant.

Josiah's "power" comes from a strange energy source which has embedded itself into his left palm. This shard obeys most of his commands, but it cannot ever fully douse itself.

Needless to say, ol'Joe's gotten pretty resourceful with it. He can produce a heated air current capable of pushing up to a hundred tons with supreme effort, a single thrust vector to amplify his punch equivalent to a shoulder-launched rocket, or an air impulse capable of knocking even the strongest foes off of their feet.

He goes maskless because even when his hand isn't lit up in flame, there is such a fierce glow inside that his hand's skin is red and you can see the dark bones through his flesh and nothing short of heavy rubber gloves can conceal the oddity of it. When not ignited, his hand doesn't glow in the shadows enough to illuminate an area, but it does make stealth without cover difficult. Luckily, red is such a short wavelength of light that it isn't visible from a distance in darkness, though on infrared, his hand is a beacon.

Nothing less than a quarter inch of material, like isotope handling gloves, can cover up Josiah's unusual, shard-lit paw. Though it glows red and seems red hot, his skin is cool to the touch. Only infrared photography can pick up the sliver of unusual material which burns betwen his carpal bones.

Aside from his burning touch, Josiah is a detective.

Josiah's elemental shard makes his whole body immune to heat and flame, and his senses of sight and touch much more attuned to thermal stimulus. As his hand has an elemental splinter in it, he is safe from even the worst cold exposure, though ice and snow can still cause injury and truly intense cold (-100 below) can begin the threat of frostbite.

To protect from other harm, Josiah's jumpsuit is armored, and he is agile and skilled enough to lessen most impacts even further.

Essentially, he's Scott Summers, but he was Robin, not Cyclops.
Last edited by Skaramine on Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Somewhere we got in to why the players might have to leave game, not characters.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Supernaturalist

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)

Post by Supernaturalist »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:46 am
Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:19 amRosa
SEMILLA: You can take "Knows Two Languages" for free- that's how I usually do it :). I'm digging the varied powers, and how some stuff comes from a Device. I'm kind of impressed you got all those powers into a 135-point build. I can see she's low on Skills & Advantages, but as a "Powerful Rookie", that fits.
Jab, I have a question. I took English as my native language and then took Language 3 as an advantage. This would give me 4 additional languages. Are you saying that all characters get 2 languages for free ( A native language and one extra)? This would give me 6 languages instead of 5. I just want to check with you first.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Three ranks of the Language Advantage would actually give you eight languages known. Everyone starts with one native tongue and each rank in the Advantage doubles the number you know: One rank, two languages; two ranks, four languages; three ranks, eight languages; four ranks, sixteen... and so forth.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Loki

Post by Loki »

W/D
Last edited by Loki on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:23 am, edited 19 times in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I don’t understand two of your skills: Expertise: Art (1) 15 (Flaw: Limited to Drawing) and Expertise: Science (1) 15 (Flaw: Limited to Mechanical Sciences). The bonus to these should by +10 total, where’s the extra +5 coming from?

Also, your power suit comes out to be 125 PP, unless I missed something...
Last edited by Batgirl III on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Slyce

Post by Jabroniville »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:00 am Still working on tightening a few things up but I figured I would get something in and clean it up later. So...

*catchphrase coming*
SLYCE
SLYCE: Very "Iron Age". I like the backstory! I'd have to include some robots so he's not straight-up murdering all my jobbers :).
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:03 am
Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:00 am Still working on tightening a few things up but I figured I would get something in and clean it up later. So...

*catchphrase coming*
SLYCE
SLYCE: Very "Iron Age". I like the backstory! I'd have to include some robots so he's not straight-up murdering all my jobbers :).
Maybe he impales, dismembers, and slices them gently?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:06 am
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:03 am

*catchphrase coming*
SLYCE
Maybe he impales, dismembers, and slices them gently?
One does not simply slice gently. :lol:
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Mutie Scum wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:14 am MENAGERIE
MENAGERIE: I do like Animal Power characters, though I'm not sure the group would hire someone whose flaw was that they were going insane :).