Interest Thread- The Jabverse

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Jabroniville

Interest Thread- The Jabverse

Post by Jabroniville »

Hey all- I think this is how you do things: Check interest before putting up a recruiting thing.

After a bunch of people asked me (okay, maybe 1 or 2), I'm ready to start up my idea for a game set in my own personal OC-verse, naturally using the Mutants & Masterminds 3e rules.

ELEVATOR PITCH:
Kreuzritter told me to have an "Elevator Pitch" for the game. So I narrowed it down to the summed-up version: In a world with a Justice League/Avengers, you're The Defenders. A rich guy/super-enthusiast is backing you, and now you have to prove yourselves in a world that's cynical about these "lower-tier" teams.

Here's the thread of universal stuff and OCs: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=383

Basic Setting Stuff: Here's the thorough version
* General mentality is a bit more Marvel & Astro City than DC, though a few guys are more clearly DC-ish (especially Mega-Woman). Kind of a "Heroes In The Real World" thing, and heroes with complicated lives. But with people aware of the Tropes of their lives, to the point of having nicknames for them (like "Trenchcoater" for guys who eschew superhero costumes and try to act all bad-ass).
* Jobber Villains aplenty. A few "Master Villains", but naturally, a lot of Marvel Team-Up-type guys and villains who were supposed to be big but then faltered.
* Some goofy-ass villains, but heroes are more typically decent (ie. no "Kender/Malkavian/Crazies in Rifts"-type stuff, which I can't stand). That means no silly/goofy/Mort characters. Basically, the heroes should be able to fit into the X-Men, Defenders, Avengers or Teen Titans... but not the members everybody hates (Maggott, Gnnark, etc.).
* There were various "eras" of heroes, with a DC-ish Golden Age, LOSH-esque Silver Age, and more.

I can probably get away with posting at night, then maybe once in the afternoon. Nobody will be expected to do 50 posts a day or whatever.

Full Disclosure: I am AT BEST an amateur GM, but I have a story progression in my head. I'll be re-reading the Combat Rules, but I've a REALLY experienced Character Builder (check my "Jab's Builds" thread if you don't believe me :)), so I'll be hard to catch on things.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
EpicEclipse

Re: Interest Thread- The Jabverse

Post by EpicEclipse »

FIrst. Also, all in. Sounds awesome. :P
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I think I'm one of the people who tried to get you to run a game in the first place, so I can't very well not throw my hat in. Any thoughts for PL? Types of builds you like/hate?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:40 am I think I'm one of the people who tried to get you to run a game in the first place, so I can't very well not throw my hat in. Any thoughts for PL? Types of builds you like/hate?
Oh, PLENTY. I was gonna save if for the actual Recruitment Thread, though, lol. Is it better to post some of it here?

The chief thing will be Magic, which works REALLY SPECIFICALLY in my world: Here's the complicated rules on it. Short Version: You can pick two schools out of the eight, and that's it. Each school is somewhat varied (most have an equivalent for "Blast", for example), but you can't, say, pull a "Doctor Strange" and be a Telepathic, Teleporting, Blasting, Transmogrifying Whatever. The Limit here is not really limiting to people with imagination- "Blue Magic" allows you to have all of Storm's powers, for example.

As a longtime character builder, I can say that anyone with Variable, "I affect every save a character can have", Shapeshift or ANYTHING to do with Summon will be looked at very, very closely. Not saying they're not allowed (Object Animation could be fun, even, and I love Animal Morph powers in stuff), but I'll be observing them carefully. I was in the first Crinoverse game, so I saw what a team of "Green Lantern, Animal Shapeshifter, Magic Guy" can do to the enemies :). If anyone picks a Telepath, I'm going to have to constantly remind myself not to give the bad guys too much information or my plot will unravel in five seconds, lol.

The Power Level will be PL 9 (135), with a PL 8 (150) variation allowed. I was thinking maybe a PL 10 (135), but that can be unfair. Any thoughts?
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

I'm interested! I'd be the noob that needs coaching, but I'm up for learning how the system actually works.

I love the premise. I'm thinking about an Iron Fist Lite style character, so that shouldn't inconvenience you too much as a GM.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Hmm, any thoughts on super-science? For a team of relative nobodies bankrolled by a rich weirdo, I like the idea of a magician or mad scientist who desperately needs the money to keep them in strange chemicals and rare and dangerous elements.

Something like this, maybe.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:29 am Hmm, any thoughts on super-science? For a team of relative nobodies bankrolled by a rich weirdo, I like the idea of a magician or mad scientist who desperately needs the money to keep them in strange chemicals and rare and dangerous elements.

Something like this, maybe.
My setting's smartest person is probably this one, so it's a well-known source of "whatever works" for powers and such.

I do utilize a set of rules for Power Armor and the like- failing Toughness Saves makes them roll on a table to see if something's disabled or not.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I'm more a fan of biotech than powered armor, most of the time. A lot of armor just makes me feel like "couldn't you put anybody in the suit?"
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:40 am I'm more a fan of biotech than powered armor, most of the time. A lot of armor just makes me feel like "couldn't you put anybody in the suit?"
I try not to bother my friends with questions like "What if Tony sat out most missions and instead made power armor for Cap, Hawkeye, and Widow instead? Wouldn't that be a more efficient use of resources? Even if he has to participate, what kind of practical excuse does he have for not kitting out the entire team, when he has massive armories of different suits for himself?"
endwaar

Post by endwaar »

I would be interested in this sort of a game, I think.
Awaken

Injustice: Absolute (Young) Justice OOC IC
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

I would be interested.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

I'm sure I could come up with something. I'm not expert at 3E, but I'd like to give it a shot.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jab,did you even have to ask me to join-up?I'll be first threw(?) the Recruitment door brother! :D

What's the PL/PP levels?....Nevermind,i just caught sight.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Im thrilled
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Jab, you showcase your creativity and cleverness in every build you do. I would love to be in a game you run.

PL 10’s become a problem with the inclusion of area powers and/or multi use powers like telekinesis and create.
"Something pithy this way comes."