Monster Mash-Up (MM3e Recruitment Closed)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Toast Burglar

Monster Mash-Up (MM3e Recruitment Closed)

Post by Toast Burglar »

Hello. Greetings. Salutations. Um... hi.

I'm a relatively new member here. As it stands, there is very little in the way of recruiting Mutants and Masterminds games for a fellow such as myself to attempt to join.

I am currently involved with one such game, and am grateful for it, however, that one-shot supposedly will not turn into anything particularly long-standing, which is fine. That said, if I am to maintain a presence here, I would need a more lengthy campaign.

Trick is, this Burglar of twice-cooked wheat products, also happens to be a moderately experienced GM. At a table among friends, that is to clarify. Still, just because I haven't done something yet doesn't mean I shouldn't try, and so I offer a concept. A simple one, not terribly clever or complex, but hear me out:

~~~~~~

I offer to you, the members of this paper and dice gaming forum, a game, nay, a campaign. A campaign using the free adventure module released last Halloween, Monster Mash-Up, as a base and initial adventure, including an extension from the back of the book so to speak.

This would, of course be a Monster Mash stylized, All Hallows Eve-themed campaign. Modernization of and Thematic Heroes based on Classical Monsters are the aesthetic I'd be shooting for, your leather jacketed Dullahans atop hot rod motorbikes toting jack o'lanterns full of hellfire in lieu of severed heads and whatnot.

It will most likely be 3E, PL10 150 Points, 3-5 Players. Likely shifted to Emerald City, since that's a setting I've read up on.

So what do you lot think? Is anyone up for some mid-summer Hallow's Eve?
Toast Burglar wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:47 pm
For thematic clarity, I'm attempting to make a campaign less focused on the struggles of people who are monsters and more about a cool team of monster people that fend off otherworldly threats within the same themes.

All of the typical downsides of being a monster are either ignored entirely (zombies with cannibalism just isn't going to come up), played for laughs (Medusa's stone gaze would be reversable so that she just makes reasonably poor impressions should she forget to wear sunglasses), or are strictly obligatory (vampires and sunlight, with suitably easy work-arounds)

Thusly, anticipate characters and villains that conceptually parody the monsters rather than ride the angst train, so to speak. Lightning Blaster-Brick Frankenstein's Daughter, Biker Punk Headless Horseman, A Cloth-Manipulating Mummy With Self Esteem Issues, to name a few concepts within my aesthetic.
The Wall Submissions List(more to be added):
Scylla
Doctor October
Adam II
Goo
Dr.Archimedes Imperious
Caladenia
Bogeyman
Reba Selene
Last edited by Toast Burglar on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Hero4hire

Re: Monster Mash-Up (Interest Check)

Post by Hero4hire »

Sounds interesting.
Ghost of Krypton

Post by Ghost of Krypton »

Submission withdrawn.
Last edited by Ghost of Krypton on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Oh,i'm more than intrested Toast! But i got a question for you...
What type of "Classical Monsters" are we talking 'bout here? There's technically 3 types:
Universal Movie Horror:i'm talking Lugosi's Dracula,Chaney's Phantom Of The Opera, his son's Wolfman the guy who was the creature in Creature from the Black Lagoon, Vincent Price in The Invisible Man Returns(the original is just too short a movie to count), and Boris Karloff in Frankenstein....

Mythological Monsters: these are things like The Gorgon,The lymerian Hydra, The Kraken, The Minotaur, the Chimera and Typhon(Father of Monsters)&His half human/Half Snake Wife Echidna(Mother of Monsters).I'm only using Greek/Roman Monsters cause they're all i know right off my head,but there's just Scores of others that fit this...

Psychological Monsters:Technically,these are either the idiots what made the above or become a monster during the story due to hubris(Dr.Victor Frankenstein and Dr.Jekyll/Mr.Hyde being the best examples)....
Camus

Post by Camus »

Greek monster allowed? =)
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Toast Burglar

Post by Toast Burglar »

Ghost of Krypton wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:22 pm

Immortus
Looks edgy, is the theme here a Zombie? I skimmed and saw Necrophagic, which either means Zombie or like... those critters from the witcher. Will go over it in more detail when/if sufficiently high interest crops up, or once I'm done addressing questions at least.

From what I gathered he's a tad darker than I was aiming theme-wise, even though I said modernized (which, in retrospect, does imply Iron Age). It's closer to Witcher/DCMetal than my intended cartoonsy Teen Titans anime feel. Of course I may have skimmed him entirely wrong.
MacynSnow wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:45 pm Oh,i'm more than intrested Toast! But i got a question for you...
What type of "Classical Monsters" are we talking 'bout here?

Universal Movie Horror
Universal Movie Horror is the base category, only reaching into other categories as you might see in a typical monster mash-up party scenario. So you can still have your Jekyll/Hydes and Medusas, and whatnot...

Idk if they make an appearance in the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy or would fit snugly in a Halloweentown setting they're probably a perfectly suitable subject to run with.
Camus wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:42 pm Greek monster allowed? =)
Some. See just above.

~~~~~

For thematic clarity, I'm attempting to make a campaign less focused on the struggles of people who are monsters and more about a cool team of monster people that fend off otherworldly threats within the same themes.

All of the typical downsides of being a monster are either ignored entirely (zombies with cannibalism just isn't going to come up), played for laughs (Medusa's stone gaze would be reversable so that she just makes reasonably poor impressions should she forget to wear sunglasses), or are strictly obligatory (vampires and sunlight, with suitably easy work-arounds)

Thusly, anticipate characters and villains that conceptually parody the monsters rather than ride the angst train, so to speak. Lightning Blaster-Brick Frankenstein's Daughter, Biker Punk Headless Horseman, A Cloth-Manipulating Mummy With Self Esteem Issues, to name a few concepts within my aesthetic.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Well here is what I have in mind, it is a character I submitted for another game but she fits in with the werewolf trope and also sexy lady turned monster trope.

Ares' plan to send the ancient world to chaos had just hit the climax. All mighty Zeus authority was undermined by Ares' machinations. Rebellions sprouted in many factions. Titans were unleashed and challenged the gods. Ancient monsters that were kept prisoner, released. The Ancient world shook with the tremors of war. Just. As. He. Planned. Ares was delighted with the chaos unleashed. But lets look back in time, to those days that were as cruel but simpler. In those days lived an innocent nereid, whose beauty threatened that of the gods. He was pursued by several suitors, and that made the resentful Aphrodite jealous. She sent the evil sorceress Circe to take away her beauty. And the sorceress did so by brewing a dreadful potion with one of Aphrodite's hair. She mixed the potion in Syclla's pool, and when the nereid swam in it, she was transformed in a hideous monster! Her head morphed to that of a terrible reptile, her neck elongated and turned she grew two extra heads full of teeth! Her body turned into a mass of tentacles. In despair and sorrow, she fled from her pond to the deeps of the sea. There she grew large and resentful of the gods. However, Father Poseidon took pity on her and gave her a purpose. She would flood the islands of the humans, and steal land from Zeus for him alongside another monster, Charybdis. Charybdis was a beautiful and powerful Atlantean witch. Scylla was happy to be respected by her father and be of use to the inhabitants of the seas. However Zeus wasn't going to stand idle and let her and Charybdis turn his people into water. He singlehandedly defeated them and turned Charybdis into an even more hideous monster, and chained both in the strait of Sicily.
Scylla waited and waited for Father Poseidon to come to rescue them, but he never came. But Scylla never forgot. She was supposed to devour humans from ships, but instead stole cattle and the occasional sailor. She would pretend to devour them, but instead kidnapped them so they could tell her about the world, both of the surface and of Atlantis, as some of her victims were atlanteans, and after that she released them.
Ages passed in a blink, and more than once Scylla was at the edge of loosing her sanity, as her companion did centuries ago. Had she not kept up her tradition of snatching sailors instead of eating them, she would have succumbed to that same senseless state. Every time the water sink towards Charybdis, she couldn't help to sigh sadly.
Now lets zoom in back to our current time. Ares has led the realm of the gods to utter chaos, and gods and titans do war against each other in an apocalyptic free for all. It was in this battle that Poseido remembered his children trapped by Zeus. Having his elder brother lost face after the battle with Superman, Poseidon thought he could use Scylla and Charybdis for his own machinations once more. When he came to Scylla and freed her from her bound, she lashed out at him and escaped. Charybdis on the other hand was already little more than a beast, and Poseidon tamed her with ease. Little attention did he pay to Scylla, as she swam away into the world of the humans. As she drew away from the realm of the gods, the effect of Circe-s potion grew weaker, and soon Scylla found herself almost in her old self! She was quite delighted by this of course, and promptly forgot about vengeance, justice and the problems that also plagued the world of men. There were enough oddities around by that time that a blue skinned rather attractive nereid didn't really seem all that weird. A couple of years in her newfound life went really fast, and she began to see in full effect the threats that loomed over the world of men. Threats from another reality perhaps, from another world, much like her own. And much like in her world, there were heroes and villains on the human world. Perhaps, perhaps she could do something about this, something to help the people of this world, the innocents like she was, like Charybdis was. No, something needed to be done, something that was both entertaining and good for the people, if such thing exists. The ruthless violence was going to be stopped, and she would look good doing it, even if it meant turning back into the creature that terrorized the hearts of sailors once more, she would do it and still look stunning. She still had to figure out how to get clothing though... Transforming was an issue!

Name: Scylla the Nereid Height 1,65 mts / 35 mts
Weight 50 kg / roughly 21 tons
Hair: Wateryblue Feature Nereid
Eyes: Green Age: Thousands

Complications
Justice... Sorta: Scylla has a very narrow vision of justice, more appropriate of another age, another time. That vision might make her clash with more modern visions of justice.
Charybdis : Charybdis is dear to Scylla, although she is not sane anymore, Scylla hopes to be able to return her to who she was.
Poseidon: Scylla is resentful t her father for betraying her and left her and Charybdis forgotten.
Zeus: Zeus might have lost face but he is still incredibly powerful among the gods. The heresy of escaping from her punishment would not pass inadvertently to him.

Abilities ( 48 pp)
Strength 4 , Stamina 4 , Agility 2 , Dexterity 0 , Fighting 8 , Intellect 0 , Awareness 2 , Precence 4 .

Powers ( 55 pp)
- Scylla the Monster ( Alternate form : Activation: One standard action. -2pp ) · 46 point/s
- Terrorizing roar ( Affliction 10 : Vulnerable & Impaired, Defenseless & Stunned. Extra condition, limited degree. Perception area (hearing). Resisted by Will ) · 20 point/s
- Charybdis´ Legacy ( AP: Transform 5 : Organic into water (3/r). Increased mass 5. Affects 800 lb ) · 1 point/s
- Lashing out ( Elongation 4 : 360 feet in +2 size rank from growth. +4 grab attacks ) · 4 point/s
- Three heads and five Tentacles ( Extra Limbs 5 : Fast grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold ) · 7 point/s
- Monstrous size ( Growth 8 : +8STR, +8STA, +4 Intimidate, -8 Stealth, -4 active defenses, size rank 0 (30 ft tall). Permanent. ) · 16 point/s

-Nereid biology ( Immunity 2: Age and Drowning ) · 2 point/s
-Eyes of the deep ( Senses 2 Darkvision ) · 2 point/s
-Child of the Sea ( Swimming 5) · 5 point/s

Advantages ( 16 pp)
Attractive 2 , Diehard 1 , Evasion 2 , Favoured environment (Water) 1 , Improved aim 1 , Inspire 4 , Luck 4 , Power attack 1.

Skills ( 11 pp)

Acrobatics 0 (+ 2 ), Deception 4 (+ 8 ), Athletics 0 (+ 4 ), Expertise () 0 (+ 0 ), Insight 4 (+ 6 ), Treatment 0 (+ 0 ), Persuasion 6 (+ 10 ), Technology 0 (+ 0 ), Close 0 (+ 8 ), Ranged 0 (+ 0 ), Vehicles 0 (+ 2 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 0 ), Perception 4 (+ 6 ), Intimidation 0 (+ 4 ), Investigation 0 (+ 0 ), Stealth 4 (+ 6 ).

Offence
Initiative: 2
Dreadful bite (unnarmed) + 8 Attack for DC: 27
Tentacle entanglement (Grab) + 10 Attack for DC: 20
Terrorizing Roar (Affliction) + Burst area Attack for DC: 20
Charybdis´ Legacy (transform) + 8 Attack for DC: 15
Last edited by Camus on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

So we're talking more adult versions of Monster High than Van Helsing? I want to get the atmosphere right so i don't foul-up my concept....
Toast Burglar

Post by Toast Burglar »

Camus wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:02 pm Well here is what I have in mind, it is a character I submitted for another game but she fits in with the werewolf trope and also sexy lady turned monster trope.

Name: Scylla the Nereid
Quick glance over the build, and drawing on what I recall from the application when you submitted it elsewhere (the DC Absolute Justice campaign), she also fits the Kaijuu and Stock Ness Monster tropes. Not a bad handful of tropes to be filling at one time, not bad at all.
Toast Burglar

Post by Toast Burglar »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:06 pm So we're talking more adult versions of Monster High than Van Helsing? I want to get the atmosphere right so i don't foul-up my concept....
Yeah. Heck, even teenagers are acceptable. It all starts at a Cheesey Halloween Film Roast, so that can be your atmosphere right there.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Doctor October
The creature called Doctor October is an otherdimensional wizard. He hails from a place known as the Hallows, filled with odd, horrible creatures. Driven by wanderlust and endless curiosity, Doctor October used his eldritch knowledge to breach the dimension barriers and explore several different parallel Earths. On one, he played a bit at being a hero before betraying his teammates and siding with a powerful foe who sought to destroy the planet through a magical ritual. For his actions, Doctor October was imprisoned, but he would escape time and again and attempt to gain revenge on his former allies, although he never really succeeded.

Growing bored and more than a little embarrassed by all the troubles, Doctor October has shifted to yet another world to try his hand once more at the whole hero business. He is sure that somehow it will all work out for the best this time. And if it doesn’t, he can always just start killing people again.
PL: 10
Abilities: STR: 0 STA: 0 AGI: 4 DEX: 3 FTG: 4 INT: 6 AWA: 6 PRE: 3
Skills: Expertise: Arcane Lore 8 (+14)
Insight 6 (+12)
Perception 4 (+10)
Sleight of Hand 8 (+12)
Feats: Fearless
Ranged Attack 5
Ritualist
Trance
Powers: “Eldritch Apparition” Remote Sensing 10 [Visual, Auditory, Mental; physical body is defenseless, Subtle 2]
  • “Levitation” Flight 4 [30 mph]
    “Eldritch Shield” Protection 12 [Impervious, Sustained]
“Hallowed Sorcery” Array 24 points
“Eldritch Flame” Ranged Damage 12
  • “Eldritch Binding” Snare 8 [Ranged Cumulative Affliction, Extra Condition, Resisted by Dodge (Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized), Limited Degree]
  • “Eldritch Passage” Teleport 12
  • “Dimensional Travel” Movement 3 [Dimensional 3]
  • “Hand of the Pumpkin King” Move Object 12
  • “Visions of the Pumpkin King” Illusion 6 [Hearing, Scent, Sight, Touch]
“Sorcerously Attuned” Senses 2 [Magical Awareness (Radius)]

Offense: Unarmed +4 [Close DC 15], Eldritch Flame +8 [Ranged, DC 27], Eldritch Binding +8 [Ranged, DC 18], Init +4
Defense: Dodge: +8, Parry +6, Fortitude +6, Toughness +12, Will +13
Complications: Motivation [Curiosity], Complications [Prejudice], Drawbacks [Power Loss (Hallowed Sorcery, when hands are bound]
Description: Doctor October is a grotesquely thin and gangly being who wears an orange tunic, gloves and boots over a black bodystocking. A long orange cloak with a high-arching collar completes the ensemble, but his most striking feature is his jack-o'-lantern head. Doctor October has a fat pumpkin on his shoulders, lit from within by eldritch greenish-yellow light. His triangular eyes and nose and jaggedly toothed mouth are just as expressive as a human face, and while he can make himself appear sinister indeed, he is currently affecting something akin to a friendly face. His is the power of eldritch sorcery, and he knows a number of spells and incantations to produce a variety of effects. He can unleash a burst of greenish yellow fire, or surround a foe in winding pumpkin vines, conjure up a huge glowing orange hand to lift great weights, or trick a target with compelling illusions. He gets around via teleportation, disappearing in a burst of black smoke and greenish yellow light, only to reappear miles away. Or else he simply opens a gateway to another dimension and slides off in search of new experiences and adventures elsewhere.

Doctor October’s senses are mystically attuned, allowing him to almost sniff out other sources of sorcerous or magical energy. He can also enter into a deep trance, during which he can eject his consciousness from his body and have it flutter about, an all but invisible and undetectable spirit form. As well, he can float at speed, his orange cape fluttering about him, while he protects himself with a flickering orange and black shield of force which orbits his body, intercepting attacks.

Under the Hood
So I replaced the Frankenstein detective with the pumpkin-headed wizard I mentioned previously. The images are just suggestions of what he really looks like, although that first one does a fair job of showing off the cape.
Last edited by Yojimbo on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TacticalMammoth

Post by TacticalMammoth »

Great interest. Will probably do a ghosty thing. May also go Zombie.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

know what? just for the fun of it

Adam II AKA the Creature, the Construct

PL: 10/150pp

Abilities (34pp)

Str 8/12 Agi 2 Fight 6 Awe 1

Sta - Dex 0 Int 4 Pre 0

Skills (10pp)

Athletics 4 (+12/+16 ), Intimidate 8 (+8 ), Perception 4 (+5 ), Persuasion 4 (+4 )

Advantages (2pp)

Improved Critical [Unarmed], Power Attack

Powers
(102pp)

Juggernaut (18pp)
*Enhanced Strength 4
*Enhanced advantage 2 (Close Attack 2)
*Immortality 2
*Leaping 2
*Power Lifting 2

Damage Resistance (Protection 8 (Impervious 7 ) 15pp

Unliving (Immunity 38 (Aging, Critical Hits, Fortitude Effects, Sensory Affliction effects) 38pp

Unnatural Toughness (21pp)
*Enhanced Defenses 6 (Dodge 5, Parry 1)
*Protection 5 (Impervious 5)
*Regeneration 5

Almost human (10pp)
*Enhanced Defenses 5 (Will 5)
*Immunity 5 (Emotion Effects)

Combat (2pp)

Unarmed +8 (Unarmed +12 damage)

Initiative: +2

Toughness: 13 (Impervious 12)

Dodge: +7

Parry: +7

Fortitude: +0 (Immune)

Will: +8

Complications

Motivation - Acceptance: Adam seeks acceptance beyond his monstrous existence, he simply wants to be left alone while at the same time only desiring basic friendship.

Predjudice - Inhuman: Adams body is a combination of various corpses mixed with nanotech and genetic tampering. He is clearly not human despite the origins of the parts that make him up.

Motivation - Doing good: Adam strives to be a good person, some spark of humanity within him drives him to do the right thing even if he sometimes cannot figure out why.

========================================================
Abilities 34 + Skills 10 + Advantages 2 + Powers 102 + Combat 2 = Total 150pp
========================================================
Background

Adam a name to live in both fame and infamy. The first man, and the name taken by Professor Frankenstein's monster. while the monster has been lost to history the technology and science was not and has only advanced.

That is how Adam 2 came to be, whichever organization or deranged individual decided to try Professor Frankenstein's insane experiments again they succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. Made up of corpses and enhanced with genetic tinkering and some form of self repairing alien nanotech Adam 2 was the result.

Adam didn't know what, or how, or why he came to be only that he walked out of an inferno carrying a young woman in his arms before escaping the police and vanishing into the local homeless community.

Soon word spread of a patchwork protector of the downtrodden who made short work of anyone who preyed on the poor.

Adam has spent time trying to find out who he is and where he or at least his parts came from but hasn't had any luck to date, hes somewhat concerned that someone might come after him one day but has decided to deal with that when or id it comes

used this gent in a prior one shot liked the way he handled.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I think this matches the tone of what you're going for.

Goo doesn't know where it came from, whether alien or a terrestrial biomass recently thawed from the depths of an ancient glacier, was it a god or a lab experiment dumped down the drain? Goo only knows 'waking up' on a beach with the other scum of the tide's leavings. Goo, knowing only hunger in it's disorientation made it's way up the beach to where it smelled the delicious popcorn, and possibly a poodle but we don't talk about that. The appearance of Goo obviously caused panic and concern but Goo didn't know why the peoples would scream and run from Goo.

Eventually Goo met up with a bunch of like-minded misfits.

Together, they fight crime.

Complications:

Unknown Origins - Goo is intensely curious about where it came from.

Hunger - Goo is hungry a LOT. Read this as wanting to molecularly breakdown things at regular intervals.

Prejudice - being a shapeless amalgam of mostly biomass does not endear onesself into the hearts of the populace. It makes it difficult to get a decent burger.

Goo

STR 5
AGI 6
DEX 0
STA 12
FGT 0
AWE 4
INT -1
PER -4
[44pp]

Defenses:
Toughness 12
Dodge 6+2pp = 8
Parry 8pp = 8

Fort 12
Will 4+4pp = 8

Skills [14pp]: Perception 8(+12), Insight 6(+10), Investigation 4(+3), CC: Natural Weapons 10(+10)

Advantages[8pp]: Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Pin, Chokehold, Prone Fighting, Instant Up, Interpose, Fearless

Powers:

Elongation 3 (30ft) [3pp]

Senses: Smell gains Accurate, Acute, Extended 2, Tracking, Vision gains radius, infravision [8pp]

Immunity: Critical Hits, Suffocation, All Environmental, Poison, Disease, [11pp]
Immunity (half effect): Aging, Sleep, Psychic/Mental descriptor [6pp]

Movement: Wall Crawling 1, speed 4 [6pp+ 3AEs]
AE: Insubstantial 1, innate
AE: Healing 10, Self Only, Persistent
AE: Morphic weapons: Striking Strength 5, (for a total of damage 10), Variable descriptor, (bludge/pierce/slash)

Molecular Breakdown; Weaken Toughness pr10, Also affects Objects, linked Damage 10 [30pp +3AEs]
AE: Spew sticky mass; Affliction pr 10, Area-Cone, Extra condition 2, Limited Degree (Resist bt Dodge, Overcome by Strength/Escape, Hindered&Impaired&Vulnerable, Immobilized&Disabled&Defenseless),
AE: Tentacles burst everywhere; Damage, Area-Burst, Selective, pr 10
AE: Nuero-slime coating; Affliction, Reaction/Aura (+3/r), Limited Degree, pr 10 (Resist by Will, Dazed, Stunned).

Abilities 44 + Defenses 14 +Skills 14 + Adv 8 + Powers 70 = 150
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Toast Burglar

Post by Toast Burglar »

Skimming:

Two Zombie Bricks
One Zombie Striker
One Sea Monster Brick
One Goopy Slime Brick

The things that go bump in the night sure are durable, haha!