Interest Check [OVA]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: Interest Check [OVA]

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:35 am Translator's note: Nakama means friend ;)

I completely get what you mean by now though, Epic. You want a group of kids that while maybe not buddy buddy, have the chance to form a real strong friendship with one another. I'll go fishing around a bit more and come back at you with someone fitting.
While you have a literal translation, nakama can mean much, MUCH more than that.

My favorite anime of all time is One Piece, it's central theme is Nakama. And while other groups use the word nakama, when it is used by the straw hat crew, it conveys more than just friends. It's crew, family, trusted allies and companions. To be nakama goes beyond simply being friends.

But yes, you have the exact right idea. You can be nakama and be rivals. In fact, true rivals make some the best nakama as they push each other to strive for new heights. The key is being capable of forming those tight-knit bonds.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hah, I know. I tried watching a One Piece fan dub back when I was in high school, and I swear they put in that exact same ttanslator's note every other episode.hearing you say it so much was just bringing up the memories and memes.

Amari Ryoichi is a sweet if rather shy kid with a good head on his shoulders, and has always tried his best to keep his grades up to par so he could get into a good school like his parents want. His passion though, has always been writing, something his family beleives is a dead end career and are always trying to to take encourage him to take on other more productive activities. It's gotten to the point where he's been forced to hide away his passion, taking up coding instead as a means to please them.

He knows now that his parents were right to be cautious, that being an author is a very uncertain line of work, but he hasn't given up his dream just yet. So while developing his newfound talent relating to computers, he continues to scrawl and write notes regarding the future worlds he hopes to forge on paper.

As before, I'm still thinking of going with "Obscurity" or something similar as an element, aomething that might play into him being something of a caster in a group of martials. He's linguistically inclined, though also has a good amount of computer smarts thanks to his parent's encouragement.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

"Obscurity" is a little odd. Can you define it a little for what you envision for it? How would he use this element in special attacks?

The rest sounds great though.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I suppose in my mind it could be either stealth and shadow based, or more like the"obscure arts" of magic. literative or figurative meanings. Also a bit of me trying to avoid refering it directly as "shadow".
------------
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ok,i have a good background and personality,let's see if the pic'll hold.If it does,i'll have background up tommorrow...
Edit:Well,that didn't work! I'll keep working on it i guess...:(
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:02 am I suppose in my mind it could be either stealth and shadow based, or more like the"obscure arts" of magic. literative or figurative meanings. Also a bit of me trying to avoid refering it directly as "shadow".
Remember, the element is more about special attacks, not just a general combat style.

Using an rp I was in before for Sailor Moon where our characters with reincarnated from the anime's characters, my character was, of all things, a half japanese who was seen as a punk due to his loneristic nature and habit of beating up bullies, 'causing people to think he's just a violent punk and steer clear of him. He was reincarnated from Minako (Sailor Venus), so his element was ironically love. His signature attack was actually not his first (The GM insisted our first special attacks were the same as the characters they reincarnated from, but gave us more free reign after than), but was called Venus Heart Breaking, which happened as a golden heart of light that he punched into a shotgun blast of beams. He also eventually got the Venus Love-Me Chain which he focused the same love power through to use it as a sword that extended (Like Ivy Valentine's chain sword/whip thing). For my character, his element was love, even though it came out really as a bunch of lasers visually. He also had a heightened sense of empathy due to his connection with the original Sailor Venus. He could feel the emotions of people around, which was great for picking out people who were up to no good, but also ironic since he tended to come off as a loner due to his ineptitude at personal expression. (Which led to some really funny scenes since the GM had each character paired up with girlfriend/boyfriend NPC, and his was super outgoing, very popular girl and probably the only character who could put him on his ass without any particular effort)

This is the kind of theme exploration I am hoping to see. I could literally transplant that character into the setting I am envisioning, replacing Sailor Venus with the original tuner he is reincarnated from. His Diviner would be the chain whip belt that he can use to channel energy through like a whip or a sword (Or combination of the two), or just wield the light of love directly into energy attacks like the Heart Breaking, or Crescent Beam attacks. He has a minor power in reality linked to his element as a tuner in the form of his heightened empathy. It's also a good example of what I see as a good "punk" character. There's a lot more to him than "he's a punk". He hates bullies and fights them because he's strong enough to do so and protect others, though others just see him as a punk.

(The game I played him in was using FATE, his high concept aspect was "Punk with a heart of gold", the heart of gold representing both his connection to Sailor Venus and his overall disposition of caring about people, even if he's not the greatest at expressing it like a normal person)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Though..... now that I am thinking about FATE..... I could be convinced to runt his as a FATE game if everyone would prefer/could more readily get their hands on the rules.

Thinking it over, I know how I would place the GM dials to run this game in FATE, simulating special attacks and such. I just find players who are not familiar with FATE have a hard time with the concept of Aspects.

Up to you guys. Only thing that really changes it how the characters are built mechanically.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:33 am Though..... now that I am thinking about FATE..... I could be convinced to runt his as a FATE game if everyone would prefer/could more readily get their hands on the rules.

Thinking it over, I know how I would place the GM dials to run this game in FATE, simulating special attacks and such. I just find players who are not familiar with FATE have a hard time with the concept of Aspects.

Up to you guys. Only thing that really changes it how the characters are built mechanically.
I can aford FATE more than i can OVA and i can get the free pdf Quickstart guide,but i'm just the minority and so have to follow the majority....:)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:40 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:33 am Though..... now that I am thinking about FATE..... I could be convinced to runt his as a FATE game if everyone would prefer/could more readily get their hands on the rules.

I can aford FATE more than i can OVA and i can get the free pdf Quickstart guide,but i'm just the minority and so have to follow the majority....:)
Well, FATE Core is p.w.y.w on DriveThruGames, so definitely easier to grab. (OVA is $15, which doesn't seem like much, but can be enough to tip a scale for some)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hmm... I almoat certainly have that game, and I think I may've played a game based on the system. It's up to you, I'm kinda looking forward to diversifying my gaming repertoire .

As for the element, how about it works like this;

Obscurity focuses on the ability to percerive and understand what's true and untrue in the world. At it's highest level, his abilities could cause Noise to fade, vanish, becoming complete my obscured by reality itself. In short, it could just downright erase someone from reality. This might be a double edged sword when it comes to the Noise, as by being erased instead of destroyed would cause the memories they took to go with them. A last resort technique perhaps, it's detriments lessened only by the fact that Ryoichi would be able to remember for them,

Lesser abilities could related to obscuring his very presence from the Noise, making him seemingly vanish from their senses and allowing him to attack while they were vulnerable. He might also have a knack for uncovering falsehoods, having an innate sense for picking up when someone is trying to obscure the truth. Might even just make him a good liar himself in turn.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I think you are still thinking of it too much like a superpower in all the different ways to utilize it, and less like a source of power for special attacks.

Named special attacks are one of my favorite anime tropes that are very strong in shounen anime, based on the concept of a name increases the power of an attack by the association of envisionment.

Perfect example of this trope in play: In Bleach, Ichigo fires of an energy wave when training with Kisuke. Kisuke explains that it was good, but weak because Ichigo didn't know the attack's name, but when he learned it, the attack would be a force to be reckoned with. True to form, Ichigo learns the attack's name, Getsuga Tenshou, and the attack becomes significantly stronger when he uses it against a foe later on.

In reality, it is a really kind of dull attack. It's a simple, straightforward energy wave he creates by swinging his sword. Basic as can be really. But when he pulls back his sword with a low "Getsuga...." viewers still manage to get hit with anticipation for what happens next, despite the attack being so basic. The kamehameha is very similar. It's such a basic attack, a straight ki beam, but when Goku cups his hands and starts the "Ka....me.... ha....me..." people get goosebumps.

So try to consider the element in those terms, envision the attacks your character would create, what they would be called. Picture how it would look on screen in an anime. This will give you a better view of how the "element" ties into the character, shapes their style and form. It may even give you a stellar, unique idea for their Diviner.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Suppose it's just something I need to put more thought into then, bah... |P
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:16 am Suppose it's just something I need to put more thought into then, bah... |P
Yeah, named special attacks aren't something common in western comic books and cartoons, so unless you watch a ton of anime, it's a different way of thinking, especially since if you try to think realistically, shouting your attack name just gives the opponent a warning to what you are doing. There are plenty of cartoons, both western and anime that have poked fun at that in parody. We won't be doing that. ^^;

Also note, I do not at all expect japanese attack names. Please go ahead and use english.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I'm not an expert at FATE, but I think I understand it pretty well. It also has a handy SRD, so I can look up whatever I need to.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:32 am I'm not an expert at FATE, but I think I understand it pretty well. It also has a handy SRD, so I can look up whatever I need to.
I'm a hardcopy man,myself.Too many things can go wrong with an Internet connection or software,it just makes me feel better to have either paper copy or the actual book in my hand....