Interest Check [OVA]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: Interest Check [OVA]

Post by EpicEclipse »

Modern most likely. I am still thinking of particular ideas. I may revisit an old concept I ran before that died out early due to early drop outs resulting in lost interest. Granted, that game was a little strict on how characters were put together, this version will be lighter on it methinks.

The old game was called Soul Frequency if anyone was involved with that. The characters were to battle the forces of the Noise, enemies of a mysterious nature that couldn't normally be seen by people, leaving the heroes, who obtain thier own mysterious powers, to fight the Noise and protect the city. The characters had the ability to conjur a Diviner, a special soul weapon they could use to fight the Noise. The characters had a transformation sequence and everything as they tuned thier frequency to match the Noise in order to fight them. (it's how it was explained that the Noise couldn't normally be seen much less harmed. The ability to "Tune" was what gave the heroes access to their Diviners and ultimately the ability to fight the Noise)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

That actually sounds pretty cool, I could see myself watching or reading that. When they transform, do they were special costumes based around their Diviners?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:48 am That actually sounds pretty cool, I could see myself watching or reading that. When they transform, do they were special costumes based around their Diviners?
Havent desides yet if it'll be a uniform or something more individualistic, or somewhere in between.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Thrilling. Sounds very anime.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I am working on a write up for a sort of proof of concept, giving some background on the world as i envision it.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Tough draft: Thoughts?
In antiquity, heroes called Tuners given powers by a mysterious Goddess protected the world from an invisible and implacible foe called the Noise. With their special weapons, called Diviners, Tuners entered a Frequency beyond reality to fight the Noise and protect the world. Time after time the Noise are driven back, but only ever temporarily, even when it seems one of their leaders is defeated. For this reason, the Goddess granted the Tuners reincarnation of soul, so the spirit and power in the Tuners' souls will transmigrate through time and awaken when the Noise come once again.

Setting: Modern day Japan.
Genre: Transforming, secret heroes with powers born from their reincarnated souls.
Named Special Attack: Heck yeah.

Tuner: One who has the ability to tune their reality to match that of the Noise. Only Tuners have the ability to see and fight the Noise with their Diviners, unique weapons they call forth with the power of their souls. The original Tuners appeared when the Earth first came under threat from the Noise when a goddess appeared and granted them the ability to Tune and to call forth their Diviners. No-one knows the true nature of the goddess who originally bestowed these powers on the original Tuners, but she also granted them eternal reincarnation, so that when they were needed again, as the Noise could never truly be destroyed, their spirits would reside within mortal forms, waiting to be awakened.

Noise: The name of the enemy. Entities that exist within a slightly different frequency of reality where they can interact with our own, like a one-way mirror. The common foot soldiers of the Noise look like hazy, white shadows, almost like television snow given solid form, but they are known to have higher level soldiers within their ranks with more solid forms. It is theorised the base soldiers evolve into this state after consuming potent memories which help shape this new form. There is also a higher rank of Noise which is even more rare and the result of a Noise continuing to consume more memories. The leader of the Noise at this time is not known, but this higher level of Noise seems to take orders from someone in more absolute power.

Diviner: A unique weapon called forth from a Tuner's soul. While the term weapon is used, a Diviner does not necessarily have the form of a conventional weapon. Diviners are icons of the Tuner that calls them forth and they do not change form with each reincarnation. They are in fact a link between each incarnation. Additionally, Diviners are powered by the memories and emotion of the wielder. Too much emotion though and the Diviner can lose control or become very weak, depending on the abundant emotion. So Tuners must learn to control their emotions somewhat.

Tuning: Realty functions on numerous frequencies. The closest frequency to normal reality is akin to the astral plane, where one would be invisible to normal reality, but is able to interact with it, while reality itself cannot interact with the one who is tuned. The act of interacting with normal reality in the tuned state is a matter of understanding certain rules of reality which are not easily suspended, but may be in order to perform wondrous feats. Noise are thought to come from an even deeper frequency than Tuners are able to access, but they never come fully into the frequency of our reality.

Resonance: The true power of the Tuner, Resonance is the ability to fully cleanse the Noise and recover the memories stolen by it. Without Resonance, Noise can still be destroyed, but the memories they consumed are lost forever with them.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

It sounds like there might be an amnesia epidemic going around. Would all the PCs be students at the same school, or live in the same neighborhood, or anything like that?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:45 am It sounds like there might be an amnesia epidemic going around. Would all the PCs be students at the same school, or live in the same neighborhood, or anything like that?
you know how destiny works with this kind of stuff. It'll bring you all together in one way or another. Being spread out a little works just fine, don't need to be best friends before learning of each other.

And yes, in a manner of speaking. Memories is kind of a theme I am running with for the enemies. People without their memories basically lose all passion and will as they don't remember anything they ever had passion or will for. They become listless and basically dead inside.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Reminds me of Persona 3. I like it. Do characters have any special powers without using the Diviner?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:10 am Reminds me of Persona 3. I like it. Do characters have any special powers without using the Diviner?
In reality, it's possible they have some form of minor spiritual power. Maybe a certain kind of sixth sense or fortune telling. It's not exactly the same as resonance, but could be a sign of it, but it's not necessary to have one.

Persona and Sailor Moon were inspirations for Soul Frequency when I first wrote it up. So for an example of an acceptable power outside of the tuned reality, Sailor Mars, Rei, is a temple maiden and is able to utilize some spiritual power to certain effects. Nothing grand, but it's been useful.

So any powers outside the tuned reality should be very low key and subtle.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

What do you think about this, epic? I'm thinking he might be a "Mage" character, his Diviner taking the form of a magical wand, and would give him more "blasty" abilities rather then an up front and personal big dang sword. Alternatively, it could be a dagger or clawed gauntlet and he'd act more akin to a ninja.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

It's a neat picture, but since I haven't determined how the transforming looks just yet, probably best to focus more on their normal appearance.

Keep in mind the characters will basically have the physical skills expected of someone their age. So advanced stuff like "ninja" is a bit of a stretch. When they transform, they don't exactly get full access to the memories and skills of their past lives, especially not all at once. I'm saying this so you don't get the idea to be super stealth right out of the gate.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Got it. I'm sure I can find a cool concept to use regardless. Havn't had a chance to look into the material I have yet, but I'll be sure to when the chance comes up.
------------
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I never did anything with my ideas for that Persona game you thought about running, so I might try to use one of them again: An ambitious high school councilman trying to get into a good college, or a very traditional girl with a wild side she hides from her parents and friends. I usually like the adult side characters in Persona games, too, so something like a schoolteacher could be fun to try.

For a Diviner, I'd probably go with something like this. I love the look of them.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I would prefer to keep everyone in the same age group, so I'm afraid teacher wouldn't work, the other two ideas would be fine. Stereotyped tropes works great in a game like this. And the studded club is neat, but it's possible you may change your mind too. Again, the Diviner doesn't need to be a "weapon" and is meant to be an icon of the character. Something meaningful of their past life and full of memories.

Another thing I would like anyone interest to consider is an element. I don't really care what it is exactly, and it doesn't HAVE to be one of the "classics", so if you wanted "music" for example, that would be fine. Just an element for the theme of your character's special resonance attacks. All I ask is it be a single word, simple element, and that everyone pick something different

(Again, I point to Sailor Moon which was an inspiration for this, you've got light, water, ice, fire, earth, lightning, love, death and time as represented elements for example)