Interest Check [OVA]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
MacynSnow

Re: Interest Check [OVA]

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:37 am I would prefer to keep everyone in the same age group, so I'm afraid teacher wouldn't work, the other two ideas would be fine. Stereotyped tropes works great in a game like this. And the studded club is neat, but it's possible you may change your mind too. Again, the Diviner doesn't need to be a "weapon" and is meant to be an icon of the character. Something meaningful of their past life and full of memories.

Another thing I would like anyone interest to consider is an element. I don't really care what it is exactly, and it doesn't HAVE to be one of the "classics", so if you wanted "music" for example, that would be fine. Just an element for the theme of your character's special resonance attacks. All I ask is it be a single word, simple element, and that everyone pick something different

(Again, I point to Sailor Moon which was an inspiration for this, you've got light, water, ice, fire, earth, lightning, love, death and time as represented elements for example)
In that case,i'm toying with two ideas.One who's element is Light based and is your stereotypical trope Otaku nerd....

Or,an American transfer student that becomes imbroiled in the situation when the original Diviner was dying and somehow transfered his Earth-based powers to him...
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

The transfer student is a good trope, but he'd still be the reincarnated soul of one of the original Tuners, not a replacement for a dying one. A Diviner can't logically transfer the way you're thinking since they are comprised of the memories of the Tuner that brought it forth. The Diviner's form and powers would be useless to someone else. Make sense?

In any case, an otaku or a transfer student (or an otaku transfer student?) work as basic concepts.

What I am thinking I may do for this game is have you guys make just your base characters, no powers (outside of the possible minor spiritual stuff I mentioned previously), then do a more assisted build for the transformed part..
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:11 am The transfer student is a good trope, but he'd still be the reincarnated soul of one of the original Tuners, not a replacement for a dying one. A Diviner can't logically transfer the way you're thinking since they are comprised of the memories of the Tuner that brought it forth. The Diviner's form and powers would be useless to someone else. Make sense?
Makes perfect sense,so just ignore the "dying Diviner" part.He'd still be ignorant originally as to what's going on(thinking that he was going insane at first),at least 'till someone explained it.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

well, that kind of goes for everyone.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I also had the idea of a Water element using Japanese "Punk Pirate" that has a bad rep,but he got it by fighting the villians...
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

"the villains"?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 am "the villains"?
I meant the Noise(for some reason,my mind just......Blanked on the name and i just auto-wrote something).... :oops:
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I think you missed a pretty integral part of the plot points here....

He can't have gained his reputation fighting the Noise for a few reasons.
1) The Noise have only recently begun resurfacing
2) Before the start of the game he would not have the ability to fight them yet
3) Even if he had the ability to see them before his powers as a Tuner awoke, no-one else would see them and he can't interact with them at all without tuning out of reality to fight them where definitely no-one would see him fighting them.

It's fine to have a character who is a punk that has a pirate theme for whatever reason (because anime), but the reason for his bad rep cannot be what you suggest.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Kasai Akihide "Aki". Lone and introverted, he holds the practice of kendo as his only worthy achievement. The diviner would be the practice sword passed on through generations. It belonged to his grand father. He excels at the do, but has a rival that matches him in skill. He despises modern life with all the technological excesses, and refuses to have a phone, which makes his the target of bullies, however they know he had a short string, and if they pull too much they might end with a broken nose

心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:33 am I think you missed a pretty integral part of the plot points here....

He can't have gained his reputation fighting the Noise for a few reasons.
1) The Noise have only recently begun resurfacing
2) Before the start of the game he would not have the ability to fight them yet
3) Even if he had the ability to see them before his powers as a Tuner awoke, no-one else would see them and he can't interact with them at all without tuning out of reality to fight them where definitely no-one would see him fighting them.

It's fine to have a character who is a punk that has a pirate theme for whatever reason (because anime), but the reason for his bad rep cannot be what you suggest.
Ok,just a floating idea that wouldn't leave me alone 'till i put something down(because pirate).I'll probably go for the transfer student Jock with the Earth powers.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

@Camus: I think you are also missing a point on what a Diviner is. It is a soul weapon, an icon. It's not an actual object from reality, merely shaped like one. And again, reincarnated soul. Instances like this, the soul is almost never passed along the same bloodline, and often remains dormant over many lifetimes, passing through different families. So your description of a diviner would not work.

I do wonder how a modern teenager comes to despise modern technological times in japan.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Trying really, really hard to rebel against society?

(What's Japanese for "sheeple?")
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Thinking a pretty average kid, just wanting to get good grades so he can get into the school he wants. Not very concerned with the friends and tends just slip into the background. The art I posted ealrier would be what I hope his tranformed state could look like, and as a Tunner I'm Thinking his element would be... Obscurity.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:58 am Trying really, really hard to rebel against society?

(What's Japanese for "sheeple?")
Well...boke can mean unaware or stupid or clueless, which is are traits normally attributed to "sheeple".

Considering sheeple isn't an actual word but a mashing of people and sheep meant to convey people who are herded, you might go for something literal.. hitsuji hito. Literally "sheep person".
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

For some of these posted ideas floating around, I am wondering why exactly? They might seem like interesting characters from an anime perspective where one person control the actions of everyone to make it work, but in the context of a cooperative game, the loner/introvert trope doesn't work so great.

I really don't want to see a group of awkward loners trying to be a team. The characters should all be capable of being friends.