Interest Check [OVA]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
RainOnTheSun

Re: Interest Check [OVA]

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I'd suggest a thinly veiled homage of your favorite anime, rather than using a show directly. Most anime already have all the protagonists they need, and you'd never have to deal with a player saying "Hey, no, Boa Hancock would never do that!" This is, uh... Moa Shandock, she's different.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:17 am I'd suggest a thinly veiled homage of your favorite anime, rather than using a show directly. Most anime already have all the protagonists they need, and you'd never have to deal with a player saying "Hey, no, Boa Hancock would never do that!" This is, uh... Moa Shandock, she's different.
LoL, a fair point.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

If you ever wanted to try that Persona game again, I'd be down for that, too. Just sayin'.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:01 am If you ever wanted to try that Persona game again, I'd be down for that, too. Just sayin'.
I'd have to get my bro,Tatsuie040, to help me on it(he holds the record of having every single job in Persona:FES at ounce....) but i'd be down for that.
:D
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I think for Persona I am of the mind of doing something "similar yet different".

I do like the idea of high school kids tapping into some kind of power that gives them the ability to save the world as secret heroes. It's a fun trope, not too far off from magical girls and sentai.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I am very much in a shounen style anime mood right now for what to run with this game.

One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, My Hero, Hunter x Hunter, stuff like that. High action, flashy attacks with called out attack names, adventure and overcoming ever growing walls. Those kinds of tropes of friendship, rivalry and triumph in the face of defeat.

So a matter of using an existing anime as a base, or making something new entirely.
Camus

Post by Camus »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:04 am I am very much in a shounen style anime mood right now for what to run with this game.

One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, My Hero, Hunter x Hunter, stuff like that. High action, flashy attacks with called out attack names, adventure and overcoming ever growing walls. Those kinds of tropes of friendship, rivalry and triumph in the face of defeat.

So a matter of using an existing anime as a base, or making something new entirely.
Have you seen Gintama?
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Camus wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:37 pm
EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:04 am I am very much in a shounen style anime mood right now for what to run with this game.

Have you seen Gintama?
Nope
Camus

Post by Camus »

You might like it, it is from Shonen Jump magazine, basically where all these animes you name were born. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZQhMCOrjCQ here are some "best" moments of action and stuff, although the series heavily relies on parody and comedy. It could work as inspiration too.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Gintama is great. Need to finish that series one day.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

I'd be interested in a game of OVA, was actually one of the backers of the 2nd edition of the game system yet have never gotten to play a game using it.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Gintama looks okay, but it's apparently missing many of the typical "notes" i enjoy in a shounen anime, though I will say the choreography of the fights that I saw in that top 10 list were pretty outstanding.

But I like the special named attacks and signature moves and all that fun stuff in the sample list I posted. Even if it's more like Slayers, which I don't think is actually considered a shounen, but calling out the spell names hits the trope as well, especially with things like the Dragon Slave, Giga Slave and Ragnablade.

There is a certain energy that comes with it that simply doesn't exist when characters dont call out their attack names.
Psistrike wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:13 pm I'd be interested in a game of OVA, was actually one of the backers of the 2nd edition of the game system yet have never gotten to play a game using it.
That's so cool. If I'd known about it, I'd have been a backer too. I only found out about OVA well after the kickstarter was over.
Camus

Post by Camus »

So Saint Seiya would be a perfect example then (havent actually seen those others)
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Camus

Post by Camus »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:51 pm Gintama is great. Need to finish that series one day.
Dont blame you, 352 episodes and counting.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Those are rookie numbers! :lol:

Anyways, I'd say there is enough interest of everyone wants to chime in and preferably has access to a copy of the rules.

Also need to figure out something for a world to play in. I am considering a few inspirations. I think I am going to avoid any direct "takes place in this anime" and just work from inspirations from a few things.

A few themes I am really interested in playing with are; reincarnated characters, soul weapons/magic (aka special attacks using unique personal power), secret heroes, and maybe a direct rip from elsewhere...

Off hand, the above tropes are covered by Sailor Moon. That isn't to say I want to run Sailor Moon (though I have played in One, it was actually a lot of fun), but something along those lines.

Thoughts?