Interest Check [OVA]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
MacynSnow

Re: Interest Check [OVA]

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:50 am Those are rookie numbers! :lol:

Anyways, I'd say there is enough interest of everyone wants to chime in and preferably has access to a copy of the rules.

Also need to figure out something for a world to play in. I am considering a few inspirations. I think I am going to avoid any direct "takes place in this anime" and just work from inspirations from a few things.

A few themes I am really interested in playing with are; reincarnated characters, soul weapons/magic (aka special attacks using unique personal power), secret heroes, and maybe a direct rip from elsewhere...

Off hand, the above tropes are covered by Sailor Moon. That isn't to say I want to run Sailor Moon (though I have played in One, it was actually a lot of fun), but something along those lines.

Thoughts?
Aim for reincarnated characters,it's a rarely used trope that can be fun if used right...
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I don't know if I'll actually come around and try to submit someone, but I am tempted to create a "Comic relief muscle guy". Some foreigner who dosn't speak a lick of Japanese, but his and are like steel and he can punt demons amd other mystical nonsense like nobody's business. Might even have to watch JoJo just to get into the right mindset for such a ridiculous character.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Camus

Post by Camus »

Sounds good to me
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:04 pm I don't know if I'll actually come around and try to submit someone, but I am tempted to create a "Comic relief muscle guy". Some foreigner who dosn't speak a lick of Japanese, but his and are like steel and he can punt demons amd other mystical nonsense like nobody's business. Might even have to watch JoJo just to get into the right mindset for such a ridiculous character.
While characters like this can be funny in an anime, I have seen them in play for RP before and they tend to be kind of derailing. Playing a character with some intent of humor is fine, but it can't be the primary goal of the character. :/

Especially when there are likely to be so few people submitting anyways.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:59 pm
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:04 pm I don't know if I'll actually come around and try to submit someone, but I am tempted to create a "Comic relief muscle guy". Some foreigner who dosn't speak a lick of Japanese, but his and are like steel and he can punt demons amd other mystical nonsense like nobody's business. Might even have to watch JoJo just to get into the right mindset for such a ridiculous character.
While characters like this can be funny in an anime, I have seen them in play for RP before and they tend to be kind of derailing. Playing a character with some intent of humor is fine, but it can't be the primary goal of the character. :/

Especially when there are likely to be so few people submitting anyways.
You have a fair point, Epic. If I do come around to submitting something, I'll keep within the scope.
------------
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I have the idea of a Nerd the uses high technology to simulate Star Wars-like Powers to fight injustice as a 'Super Samurai'......
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:34 am I have the idea of a Nerd the uses high technology to simulate Star Wars-like Powers to fight injustice as a 'Super Samurai'......
I can't think of a setting I would run where that would actually work. o_o
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:11 am
MacynSnow wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:34 am I have the idea of a Nerd the uses high technology to simulate Star Wars-like Powers to fight injustice as a 'Super Samurai'......
I can't think of a setting I would run where that would actually work. o_o
I actually played a similar character for a Sailor Moon game i was in.The basic concept is to use tech to simulate certain physical jedi/sith powers(force push,force choke, force lightning, basic t-k, etc.).The backstory went that he was a bit of an Otaku,but instead of Anime and the 'normal' Japanese stuff,he fell for American stuff....
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Sounds more like a superhero that something out of an anime... Save maybe Tiger and Bunny. ;P

If you could make it work though, go for it I say. If I'm allowed though, I'd like to say that the idea of reincarnation sounds cool to me too.

Epic, I asked my father if he had the book for the game, all he seems to have though are a few adventures and some "how to plays" with example characters. Think that'd be enough to give me the gist?
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

If it's got some example play, you should be fine. It may not go into the less obvious mechanics like drama dice, but it'll certainly give you the jist of it, if not necessarily a full list of the abilities/weaknesses and perks/flaws and what they do. I can certainly provide at least those lists. Most of them are self explanatory anyways.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

If you want to use reincarnated characters, do you have any ideas about where they were reincarnated from? Would the PCs' earlier selves all have known each other?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:32 am If you want to use reincarnated characters, do you have any ideas about where they were reincarnated from? Would the PCs' earlier selves all have known each other?
I think learning about their reincarnated roots would be an interesting plot point, so they probably would not, not to begin with. But they absolutely would have known each other originally, again, another plot point.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

So players would make characters, and you'd decide what they did in their past lives?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Nah, the players would have some ideas to work from of course. Otherwise I imght end up with a random mess of characters with no cohesion i could work into their origins
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Reincarnationnis a good angle, but we also need a setting to play around in. Modern times? Supernatural abilities? Whats the what in this new anime series?
------------