Interest Check [OVA]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Interest Check [OVA]

Post by EpicEclipse »

I'm largely curious if anyone on this forum is familiar with OVA, a Kickstarter pen and paper game published by Wise Turtle.

For a brief description, it's a rules-lite system that is geared towards anime genre settings. It's pretty flexible using Abilities and Weaknesses to form dice pools and Perks and Flaws for special attacks. It's a simple enough system to run on a forum as well, without having the need for a battle map really, and most online dice rollers I have seen can handle the dice rolls.

Rolls are determined by rolling a number of d6 equal to 2 plus your levels in relevant Abilities minus levels of relevant Weaknesses (all relative to the action being taken. sometimes Weaknesses can be beneficial while Abilities can be a hindrance).

Anyways, I've started watching One Piece from the very beginning, and it's gotten me into a very anime kind of mood where I was considering running a game with this system. I don't have any particular setting or anime in mind yet, mostly gauging interest in the concept or if anyone has even heard of this system before coming up with specific details.
RainOnTheSun

Re: Interest Check [OVA]

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I've never played it myself, but I hear pretty good things about it.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:18 am I've never played it myself, but I hear pretty good things about it.
I've played in a few games that were short-lived, more for player reasons than anything. I've found it to be pretty fun, and easy to play and learn.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

alright Epic,color me intrested.I like Rules-Lite Systems that use Dice Pools(I tend to call them "Points",but that's just my wierdness... :D ),so i'm curious how similar/different this one is.
Camus

Post by Camus »

I can give it a shot. Definitely interested in anime
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:42 pm alright Epic,color me intrested.I like Rules-Lite Systems that use Dice Pools(I tend to call them "Points",but that's just my wierdness... :D ),so i'm curious how similar/different this one is.
It's pretty simple. You roll your dice pool as mentioned above and you add together any similar results, then take the highest total value. So if you roll 4d6, and get 2, 2, 3, 6. You would add the 2s for a 4. The 6 is still higher though, so you have 6 as your end result. Anything 12 or higher is considered an exceptional success with potential additional RP flair added to the outcome.

Of course, flaws can reduce your dice pool into the negative, where you roll everything and take the lowest without adding any individual die results together and a result of 1 is extra bad.

Attacks have a to hit roll and a damage multiplier. The end damage you deal is equal to the difference in your attack roll versus the defense roll of the target, multiplied by the attack damage multiplier. (It sounds like a lot, but It's not usually THAT high. The base HP value is 40, with energy adding an extra 40, both of which can be extended by abilities, though they can also be reduced by weaknesses to a maximum of 90 each and a minimum of 20.

The HP and energy system is kind of neat. It's like a candle burned from both ends. You use energy for a few different things, but mostly attacks with more perks than flaws. (Perks increase energy cost, flaws reduce it). If you run out of HP, you can still take damage, but it comes out of your energy. If you are out of energy, you can still use energy, but it comes out of your health. If either HP or energy is empty, you have a lingering -1 on all rolls until the condition is remedied.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:20 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:42 pm alright Epic,color me intrested.I like Rules-Lite Systems that use Dice Pools(I tend to call them "Points",but that's just my wierdness... :D ),so i'm curious how similar/different this one is.
It's pretty simple. You roll your dice pool as mentioned above and you add together any similar results, then take the highest total value. So if you roll 4d6, and get 2, 2, 3, 6. You would add the 2s for a 4. The 6 is still higher though, so you have 6 as your end result. Anything 12 or higher is considered an exceptional success with potential additional RP flair added to the outcome.

Of course, flaws can reduce your dice pool into the negative, where you roll everything and take the lowest without adding any individual die results together and a result of 1 is extra bad.

Attacks have a to hit roll and a damage multiplier. The end damage you deal is equal to the difference in your attack roll versus the defense roll of the target, multiplied by the attack damage multiplier. (It sounds like a lot, but It's not usually THAT high. The base HP value is 40, with energy adding an extra 40, both of which can be extended by abilities, though they can also be reduced by weaknesses to a maximum of 90 each and a minimum of 20.

The HP and energy system is kind of neat. It's like a candle burned from both ends. You use energy for a few different things, but mostly attacks with more perks than flaws. (Perks increase energy cost, flaws reduce it). If you run out of HP, you can still take damage, but it comes out of your energy. If you are out of energy, you can still use energy, but it comes out of your health. If either HP or energy is empty, you have a lingering -1 on all rolls until the condition is remedied.
Ok,i'll give it a try.What Dice are we using for rolls&where's it to be held at,here or elsewhere?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

My plan was to run it here. It's just d6 which coyotecode can run. Instead of inputting say 4d6, you would do 4 rolls of 1d6 so you get the individual results.

Edit: well, we could do 4d6 and the rest will show the individual die results, we just wouldn't be needing the added up result and could ignore that.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Is it something you can play without a copy of the rules?
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Could this be used for the aborted RWBY game you wanted to start?
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:23 pm Is it something you can play without a copy of the rules?
The rules are simple enough, but I would recommend a copy of the rules. The pdf is $15 on DriveThruRPG and it supports game creators.
Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:32 pm Could this be used for the aborted RWBY game you wanted to start?
It is possible. I haven't desided on an anime to run a game in, but RWBY is certainly doable.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Just learned of a new game I am going to pick up when I have a chance to pick it up and read it, but I may be interested in running that. Will update when that happens.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I am going to stick with OVA. The new game is just a thinly veiled Fate mod. OVA is much more flexible and fun (in my humble opinion. Fate is still good though)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Though that brings the question, since there have been a few voices of interest, what anime to run amok in.

Flynn had mentioned perhaps me rekindling my RWBY ideas using OVA instead of the homebrew I had slapped together. I've been watching One Piece from the beginning (my absolute favorite anime ever), Boku No Hero would be appropriate for the board because superheroes, Bleach has a lot of potential, and then there are the basic tropes that a game could be built around; magical girls, sentai, etc etc.

I am open to discussion on the matter.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:12 am Though that brings the question, since there have been a few voices of interest, what anime to run amok in.

Flynn had mentioned perhaps me rekindling my RWBY ideas using OVA instead of the homebrew I had slapped together. I've been watching One Piece from the beginning (my absolute favorite anime ever), Boku No Hero would be appropriate for the board because superheroes, and then there are the basic tropes that a game could be built around; magical girls, sentai, etc etc.

I am open to discussion on the matter.
That's an intresting Question,as their's a lot of decent Anime you could set it in or steal...i mean Creativly Borrow from for your own.....

RWBY: Could work as you have more than enough intel on it...
GATCHAMAN(Battle Of The Planets): If you want to go for a classic "Superhero Anime" experience,you'll never go wrong with this one....
CAPTAIN HARLOCK(Galaxy Express): Space Opera at it's finest,and the technical Grandfather of the entire "Space Anime" sub-genre.....
GUNSMITH CATS: If you want more grim and gritty stuffed with superpowers,this'll really Rev your engines....
PROJECT A-KO: taking the whole Superhero stuff and holing it upside-down would be fun to try.They already did Superman/Wonder Woman in it,so what would Batman/Catwoman's kid be....? :D