[3E OOC] The J.V. Team

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
FuzzyBoots

Re: [3E OOC] Toys Will Be Toys - Recruiting thorugh 2018-Sep-29

Post by FuzzyBoots »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:15 pm Fairwind
>Call upon the spirits of air (Array)(26+1+2+2+1+1,
-Wind blast (Base power, Dynamic): Ranged damage 8, Accurate x2 (+4); Indirect 4; Precise, Affects insubstantial x2, +Enhanced advantage 1 (accurate attack); 16+2+4+1+2+1= 26, +1 Dynamic, 27pp total
This hits one of my less favorite build tactics, having all of the bonus in Accurate or a relevant combat skill. I guess it could make sense as a teen hero who is unable to do much other than their powers, but it is still something that's a minor red flag for me. Also, why does she have Affects Insubstantial 2? What aspect of her wind blast means she can hit any Insubstantial opponent?
pathfinderq1 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:15 pm-Wind storm (Alternate effect, Dynamic): Environment 5; Reduce movement 2, Feature 1- also reduces Acrobatics/Athletics; Reduce visibility 1, Quirk 1- reduced visibility requires loose material at hand; Custom- Reduce Hearing 1; Selective 1; 2+1+1+1=5/rank x5; 25+1-1; (2pp DAE)
An interesting build. How do you see the reducing of Acrobatics, Athletics, and Hearing working?
pathfinderq1 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:15 pm-Dancing winds (alternate effect, Dynamic): Flight +5 (6); Enhanced STR +5 (4), Limited- only to carry extra weight while flying; Enhanced traits 5 (Defenses) Protection +1, Dodge +2, Parry +2; Enhanced trait 2 (Advantages) Fascinate (Acrobatics), Skill mastery (Acrobatics), both Limited- only while flying; +Polter-gust: Move object 1, Ranged- Perception, Precise, Subtle 1. 10+5+5+1, +2+1+1+1=26; (2pp DAE)

So it's only when she has this slot active that she's at defensive caps? And, just so that we have the same understanding, how are you seeing all of these effects working within a Dynamic Effect? Do they scale proportionately? Everything requires at least one rank, meaning there's a minimum of 14 PP or so involved in invoking this slot?
pathfinderq1 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:15 pm-Flinging gust (alternate effect, static): Move object 8, Close range, Area- Cone, Damaging, Limited direction (away only), Selective, Affects insubstantial 2; 2+1-1+1-1+1=3/r x8, 24+2; 26 (1pp, AE)
As with the other power, why do you feel this affects any insubstantial opponent?
pathfinderq1 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:15 pm-Known Stunts: Dizzying spin, Air bubble (power profiles), Nullify (Air/gas); Tornado
I appreciate you listing possible stunts.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say her wind powers have a spiritual aspect to them. Hence, the whole "Spirits of air" name.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
FuzzyBoots

Re: Skolldir

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Camus wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:23 pm Sure, I'll drop them to pl6, not a problem. Hm, perhaps distracting is indeed more limiting, as you say, unreliable would be free points basically.
Regarding expertise, I was under the impression technology was used as a hands on experience with tech, what you would roll for hacking a computer. Expertise will give you formal knowledge on technology. Say you want to know how to disable the evil army of robots attacking the city? An expertise check would be needed, and to be able to carry it out youll need technology roll. My impression only, havent actually read about it in the rules
Technology is generally considered to cover both knowledge and mechanics, much like an Expertise skill, although admittedly, 3E condensed a bunch of aspects of it together so that every inventor is, by default, also an expert lockpicker and dismantler of explosives.

I'll look forward to seeing what modifications you make. I am with epiceclipse that Distracting could be a bit of an endrun, but it would just mean I'd have to find ways for people to get the drop on you so that you get value for the Flaw. :twisted:

Side note: Mental Link lets you communicate with your drones and give them orders as a free action, but it does not give you the ability to see through them. Assuming they're intelligent enough, you could ask them questions, I suppose. Also, is it a telepathic link, or via another medium?
EpicEclipse

Re: [3E] Toys Will Be Toys (Recruiting)

Post by EpicEclipse »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:23 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:55 am Name: Hope McKnight
[ 8pp] Sound Projection: Illusion 8 (Aural) (250cft area)
[ 1pp] (AE, 7pp) Expand Absorption: Enhanced Power (Attack and Area(Burst) 2 (60ft) added to Sound Absorption) and Immunity 10 (Sonic Descriptor), Limited (Half Effect)
While, as before, I'm not bean-counting costs, that's 8 PP of effects in the Illusion, and 9 in the Expand Absorption.
Oops! I knew that too! >_< I think I was still working on it, deciding what to do exactly, and then just kind of forgot to finish. I'll smooth that wrinkle out.
EpicEclipse wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:55 am[ 5pp] Reactive Psionic Armor: Protection 7, Sustained, Noticeable(Bright glow and audible tone at impact site), Quirk(Not effective against attacks Hope is not aware of)
Given Sustained Protection is already Noticeable by default, this would be extra-so. You could probably make the Quirk a full Flaw given it means you more or less lose that Toughness bonus if struck by a Stealthed opponent or against Subtle attacks. So it would come out to 3 PP total.
I must have misread something somewhere at some point. I thought a power didn't become noticeable simply by being made Sustained, but that appears not to be the case. But if you're down for that quirk being made a Flaw (I was being conservative), then I'll just do that. Easy peasy fix.
EpicEclipse wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:55 am[ 1pp] (AE, 7pp) Psionic Armor: Create 11, Continuous, Feature(Generates light), Precise, Close Range, Limited(Sheathing existing solid matter), Limited to Increased Volume 3, Proportionate
As per your later comment, making it Create 10, Proportionate 8, Close, Limited to Sheathing Existing Matter, Continuous, Feature, for 7 PP, works fine for me.
I'll update this as well. I assume you mean this one: [7pp] Create 10, Continuous, Feature (Generates Light), Precise, Close Range, Limited to sheathing existing matter, Proportionate - Proportionate has to go on all the ranks, or else I end up with ranks that are automatically size and toughness, which is I why I didn't do a partial ranks flaw in the first place on proportionate. xD
EpicEclipse wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:55 am[ 1pp] (AE: 7pp) Imprisoning Armor: Affliction 8 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage; 3rd: Paralyzed), Improved Critical 4, Limited Degree(3rd only), Resistible (Strength)
This seems alright. So only third-degree counts, the initial resistance is avoiding getting hit (attack roll versus Parry), followed by a Dodge save and a Strength save, either of which could avoid the effect entirely. Improved Critical 4 is pushing it a bit, but I'm willing to give it a go.
I can understand the wariness of a full dose of Improved Critical on a power, but consider they need to fail a DC18 by 3 degrees, which is at least 11. That's the same as saying the power's effective regular (that is to say without power attack, etc) DC is actually only 8. Which needs to be failed twice to be affected. Even with improved critical, that's a 25% chance that the DC will become 13, which still needs to be failed twice and isn't all that high. The exception, of course, is minions, who if they even fail by 1 degree take the worse result.

In short, this power will be decently effective against minions, but significantly less so against non-minions that are actively fighting back (Could be useful for restraining helpless enemies, which of course gives them a penalty on the save on top of anything else), which was largely the intention of it.

Narritively speaking, her being able to wrap up minions with relative ease, but almost never succeeding against non-minions shows a contrast between those minions and non-minions in a way that is quite satisfying to the cartoon of action playing out in my mind.

EDIT: All listed updated added and noted in the Edits section of the submission. :D
Plan b

Re: [3E] Toys Will Be Toys (Recruiting)

Post by Plan b »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:04 am
Plan b wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:17 pm Alien Mentalist: Comprehend 2:understood and understand all languages (limited to living things) • 2 points
Given non-living things already have their own slot for Comprehend, I'm not certain what you feel this flaw covers.
I was focusing it down to a mental effect, so it wouldn't work on phone calls, recordings, french speaking robots ect. which i feel would make less useful, if you feel it would be more of quirk or complication i can change it.
Plan b wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:17 pmMind Probe: Mindreading 8 (range -2 perception to close, grab based) • 2 points
This would be 3 PP in cost unless I'm missing something. 8 * (2 - 3 -> 1/3), rounded up.
More likly i made a mistake or rounded down easy fixed.
Plan b wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:17 pmBio-morph: Variable 3 (free action) • 27 points
Variable is a tricky power to adjudicate. Be aware that I may veto any particular power build you provide outside of the ones you've already cleared, which look alright.
Thats fair. I'm planning running him in a fairly straight foward manner so there shouldn't be any problems, i'll probably add some more examples as i go (morph and a bulking up come to mind).
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:12 pm Alrighty,let's get this ball running...I'll use max Shrink of 14 to drop my size so i can "ride" one of the flying Bro Horde ala the first Ant-Man movie.Then I'll help out the group by using The 8-legged Network to get the Horde to cover all the Camera's in the building,so he can't track out locations...Do i gotta roll anything for these,GM?
Insects not being the brightest creatures (and probably not knowing what a camera is), you'd just need to figure out how to phrase the command, say a DC 12 check using your Entomology skill?

If you can give me an idea of how you'd explain it to them, that would be good, but you won't be graded on it.
Camus

Re: Skolldir

Post by Camus »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:16 am
Camus wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:23 pm Sure, I'll drop them to pl6, not a problem. Hm, perhaps distracting is indeed more limiting, as you say, unreliable would be free points basically.
Regarding expertise, I was under the impression technology was used as a hands on experience with tech, what you would roll for hacking a computer. Expertise will give you formal knowledge on technology. Say you want to know how to disable the evil army of robots attacking the city? An expertise check would be needed, and to be able to carry it out youll need technology roll. My impression only, havent actually read about it in the rules
Technology is generally considered to cover both knowledge and mechanics, much like an Expertise skill, although admittedly, 3E condensed a bunch of aspects of it together so that every inventor is, by default, also an expert lockpicker and dismantler of explosives.

I'll look forward to seeing what modifications you make. I am with epiceclipse that Distracting could be a bit of an endrun, but it would just mean I'd have to find ways for people to get the drop on you so that you get value for the Flaw. :twisted:

Side note: Mental Link lets you communicate with your drones and give them orders as a free action, but it does not give you the ability to see through them. Assuming they're intelligent enough, you could ask them questions, I suppose. Also, is it a telepathic link, or via another medium?
Well as eclipse said there is not really a need for the flaw add the cost is reduced.
Hmmmm I didn't envision seeing through the robots, simply asking questions as you said.
It would be via a remote control, perhaps some chip implanted or something, out a simple remote with a big red button
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:13 am If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say her wind powers have a spiritual aspect to them. Hence, the whole "Spirits of air" name.
This is accurate- the powers are partially physical wind and air, and partially spirit. Affects insubstantial also seemed appropriate to affect or counter other air-based powers (and clouds of smoke, etc.).

I reworked the build a bit, thus:
1. Fixed the accuracy concern- raised DEX and added some Ranged Attack advantage, base powers are now +2 DEX, +2 RA and +4 Accurate powers. (I was originally going to run most of the powers as Area or Perception, but Evelyn is already doing that).
2. Split the array up, into one Utility array and one attack array, removed Dynamic.
3. As far as the Wind storm/ environment, I removed the Impair hearing (would have been gusty whistling wind- enough to make noise but not audio concealment). Impairing Acrobatics and Athletics is mentioned in the Environment power as a possibility depending on descriptors, and shifty gusty winds seemed like it would fit- trying to balance or jump or whatever in the face of strong, shifting winds can be a challenge.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:06 am
MacynSnow wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:12 pm Alrighty,let's get this ball running...I'll use max Shrink of 14 to drop my size so i can "ride" one of the flying Bro Horde ala the first Ant-Man movie.Then I'll help out the group by using The 8-legged Network to get the Horde to cover all the Camera's in the building,so he can't track out locations...Do i gotta roll anything for these,GM?
Insects not being the brightest creatures (and probably not knowing what a camera is), you'd just need to figure out how to phrase the command, say a DC 12 check using your Entomology skill?

If you can give me an idea of how you'd explain it to them, that would be good, but you won't be graded on it.
Well,how does an 18 on that check grab ya? :D

Edit: Stupid missed number... grumble,grumble...
Last edited by MacynSnow on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:52 pmWell,how does an 18 on that check grab ya? :D
Er... Coriana rolled a 5? I don't know if there's a bug in the system, but that's not The Bug's roll. :)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Just to clarify, to avoid holding things up, new additions will be added after this encounter, which is at about the halfway point of the adventure.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Skolldir is edited and hopefu evaluation.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Whatever you are using to construct your sheet (Herolab or something else), it's still adding Hide Minions, but it's clearly not charging you points.

The suggestion was using Subtle, Insidious and Check Required (Slight of Hand) which nets out to 1, so yours total power cost would be 44pp.

Summon (2), Controlled (1), Multiple 2 (4) = 7/rank x 6 = 42pp
Insidious, Subtle, Mental Link = +3pp
Check Required = -1pp

I see you reconfigured the drone array a little bit, so they have a single target shot, and two reaction, area bursts now, and I am just going to quote Doctor Malsyn, since he already asked, but I think it got missed;
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:25 am How is the explosion selective?
You have selective on both area effects with no explanation as to why it is selective. Also the costs appear to be somewhat off on your turret mode:
-Rank cost: Damage (1), Increase range (1), Multiattack (1), Secondary effect (1) = 4/rank x 6 = 24pp
-Flat cost extras: Accurate 3, Improved critical 3, Power attack, Precise attack (ranged cover), Precise attack (ranged concealment) = 9pp
24 + 9 = 33pp

With regards to the immunities... mindless drones (which controlled kind of makes them by definition of the extra) are generally built with no STA, INT or PRE and Immunity to Fort (The costs balancing out to 0.). Lacking INT and PRE makes them immune to will checks and they automatically fail interaction skill checks (See page 231 of the Handbook). So you could take out most of your immunities (as all but the immunity to crit are typically fort or will saves).

Remove INT and PRE = -20pp
Remove Immunity: Emotions, Suffocation, Sensory = -12pp
Add Immunity (Fortitude) = 30pp

30 - 32 = 2pp saved, which you need plus 1 more to correct your Turrets (or cut down the advantages added to it, either or)

I think that's it. As before, the concept is cool, so I hope i don't come off as being overly critical or anything, but my mentality is if I'm going to lose out to someone else, I want them to be the best damn them they can be and I'll help as best I can to that end! xD
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:03 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:52 pmWell,how does an 18 on that check grab ya? :D
Er... Coriana rolled a 5? I don't know if there's a bug in the system, but that's not The Bug's roll. :)
Corrected now...
Camus

Post by Camus »

EpicEclipse wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:11 pm Whatever you are using to construct your sheet (Herolab or something else), it's still adding Hide Minions, but it's clearly not charging you points.

The suggestion was using Subtle, Insidious and Check Required (Slight of Hand) which nets out to 1, so yours total power cost would be 44pp.

Summon (2), Controlled (1), Multiple 2 (4) = 7/rank x 6 = 42pp
Insidious, Subtle, Mental Link = +3pp
Check Required = -1pp

I see you reconfigured the drone array a little bit, so they have a single target shot, and two reaction, area bursts now, and I am just going to quote Doctor Malsyn, since he already asked, but I think it got missed;
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:25 am How is the explosion selective?
You have selective on both area effects with no explanation as to why it is selective. Also the costs appear to be somewhat off on your turret mode:
-Rank cost: Damage (1), Increase range (1), Multiattack (1), Secondary effect (1) = 4/rank x 6 = 24pp
-Flat cost extras: Accurate 3, Improved critical 3, Power attack, Precise attack (ranged cover), Precise attack (ranged concealment) = 9pp
24 + 9 = 33pp

With regards to the immunities... mindless drones (which controlled kind of makes them by definition of the extra) are generally built with no STA, INT or PRE and Immunity to Fort (The costs balancing out to 0.). Lacking INT and PRE makes them immune to will checks and they automatically fail interaction skill checks (See page 231 of the Handbook). So you could take out most of your immunities (as all but the immunity to crit are typically fort or will saves).

Remove INT and PRE = -20pp
Remove Immunity: Emotions, Suffocation, Sensory = -12pp
Add Immunity (Fortitude) = 30pp

30 - 32 = 2pp saved, which you need plus 1 more to correct your Turrets (or cut down the advantages added to it, either or)

I think that's it. As before, the concept is cool, so I hope i don't come off as being overly critical or anything, but my mentality is if I'm going to lose out to someone else, I want them to be the best damn them they can be and I'll help as best I can to that end! xD
Woot thanks for the cool review. I use an excel sheet I designed myself, and I pick the things from hero lab (cuz I don't have licence, using demo), which might be why some of the math is off.
Ha ha you made me laugh with your last sentence! Love the spirit there ;)
I'll get to change the things
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ