[3E OOC] The J.V. Team

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: [3E OOC] Toys Will Be Toys

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I presume its a "Shrink anything I'm wearing and holding too" sorta deal, that's likely what he's going for here with the inanimate question.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:25 pm I presume its a "Shrink anything I'm wearing and holding too" sorta deal, that's likely what he's going for here with the inanimate question.
Ah. Yes, that's partly why I clarified that they're treated as Constructs. Much like how Titaness couldn't crush them as unresisting inanimate objects, they can't be shrunk casually without a check.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:28 pm
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:25 pm I presume its a "Shrink anything I'm wearing and holding too" sorta deal, that's likely what he's going for here with the inanimate question.
Ah. Yes, that's partly why I clarified that they're treated as Constructs. Much like how Titaness couldn't crush them as unresisting inanimate objects, they can't be shrunk casually without a check.
In that case,i'll have to go with Power Stunting Affliction Shrinking....
"Now you see it..." Affliction Shrinking 14 (Dazed/Stunned/Unconcious Dodge save Flaws: Objects/Constructs only)

Edit:Just corrected...
Last edited by MacynSnow on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:57 pmIn that case,i'll have to go with Power Stunting Affliction Shrinking....
"Now you see it..." Affliction Shrinking 14 (Dazed/Stunned/Unconcious Fort save Flaws: Objects/Constructs only)
If you have it affecting Toughness or Dodge, I'd be OK with that. The Attack Extra suggests something like Dodge or Will, and Stunting it with Affect Objects Only / Fort save against a target with absent Stamina seems like it's targeting things a bit far. :-P Not that it matters awfully much with PL 5 mooks, but you know how it is.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Having affect the Fortitude Defense against Constructs is a really bad idea...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

it would have to be a toughness check or dodge since as constructs by default theyre immune to fort save effects.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:23 pm it would have to be a toughness check or dodge since as constructs by default theyre immune to fort save effects.
I think MacynSnow was arguing for the Affects Objects Extra.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

If you put Affects Objects on an effect, but that effect is resisted by something the target has Immunity to, it doesn’t matter if you have Affects Objects.

If the Human Torch has an Affects Only Objects flame-bolt, it’ll melt normal car just fine, but it won’t affect the Fire-Proof Asbestosmobile with its Immunity (Fire).
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:32 pm If you put Affects Objects on an effect, but that effect is resisted by something the target has Immunity to, it doesn’t matter if you have Affects Objects.

If the Human Torch has an Affects Only Objects flame-bolt, it’ll melt normal car just fine, but it won’t affect the Fire-Proof Asbestosmobile with its Immunity (Fire).
Affects Objects specifically targets Fort Immunity tied to lack of Stamina.
This modifier allows effects normally resisted by Fortitude to work on non-living objects (those with no Stamina). Generally, this extra applies to effects like Heal or Weaken, allowing them to work on objects in the same way as they do living creatures. If the effect Affects Only Objects, working on objects but not on living creatures, it has a net modifier of +0.

Objects do not get resistance checks; the effect works on the targeted object at its maximum degree of success. At the GM’s discretion, someone holding, carrying, or wearing an object can make a Dodge resistance check against the effect, representing pulling the object out of the way at the last moment.
Useful for when you want to pour acid on a brick wall, but against Constructs it can verge on game-breaking. In this case, the simple solution is that choosing Fort for a save, and then adding the Affects Objects Only, is not valid without a good argument. :)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Incidentally, while it's not covered in the rules, it makes sense to me that you could use the same pattern on Will saves versus constructs without free will, although alternately, you choose a target save like "Creator's Technology rank".
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Constructs are not Objects.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Just got done correcting it.I chose Dodge for the save because,logically speaking,i have to touch ssid Construct's to make them shrink,so them getting out of the way would be a bad thing...:)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Allowing Interpose for an ally within movement range is weird, since it basically adds in a free Movement, but winds up with them moving back. Also, general judgment call, does Impaired apply to passive checks like Toughness or only for more skilled things like attacking or using a skill?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Unless the Effect specifically only targets one trait (“Toughness Impaired”) then an impaired character is at a –2 circumstance penalty on all checks.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

{nods} As it turns out, it won't apply, because the Fatigue didn't hit her until her turn, while the damage was before that, but I was getting input from the next time we have someone Exhausted, and therefore Impaired.