[3E OOC] The J.V. Team

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Camus

Re: [3E OOC] Toys Will Be Toys - Recruiting thorugh 2018-Sep-29

Post by Camus »

Hide minions, its a 1 pp feature that allows the minions to start hidden. Completely accessory so I can remove it without any problem.

Ok so I could use unreliable, or manage points to not have the flaw, or change to another flaw like distracting.

Yes that could work, but inexplicably? It freaking shocks them with electricity!

Colateral damage? These come with selective. Also, it already has a non lethal, electric shocking variant to the bomb. Havent you read my explanation?

Granted, your way of emulating the summon are interesting, but I'm not really needing the points. Personally if theres a power that can do a thing I see little merit in going around looking for ways to emulate that, if I can pay it. I could have all the drones go last in initiative if that is a concern. Also multiple attacks in one round, that is what I looked most at when designing the character.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

How is the explosion selective?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Yes that could work, but inexplicably? It freaking shocks them with electricity!
-Target lock (Affliction 8): Hindered, immobile, Paralyzed. Fort. Accurate 5, Increased range, Reaction (Enemy spots the mine))
Nothing about the name of the power explains that the enemy gets shocked with electricity by spotting the mine. That's all I meant.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

That is interesting, the Hide Minions thing. It's not in the Power Profiles or in Gadget Guides, and it shows up when I turn all of the various sources off. I am agreed that 10 uses for a -1 Flaw seems to conflict a bit with the -1 Flaw of Unreliable that gives 5 uses. And honestly, being able to summon 5 PL 8 minions for a PL 8 campaign does seem a bit much.

How does he fit it within the student body?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I agree the Hide Minion thing is an interesting sounding extra. Just never heard of it before. Having a minion arrive hidden is really cool for something like ninjas, or shadow creatures, or ghosts, things of a sneaky nature. :D It's something I will need to keep in mind for potential future builds It was probably built as a Feature extra, but shorthanded to just "Hide Minion" if it costs a flat +1.

Also, in case it maybe got missed being at the very bottom of the last page, Miraculous has been updated.

I am always down for feedback.

EDIT: made a slight change to remedy a huge oversight. How does a mute girl not learn ASL, even if her powers allow her to project sound to compensate for lack of physical speech?
Camus

Post by Camus »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:59 am That is interesting, the Hide Minions thing. It's not in the Power Profiles or in Gadget Guides, and it shows up when I turn all of the various sources off. I am agreed that 10 uses for a -1 Flaw seems to conflict a bit with the -1 Flaw of Unreliable that gives 5 uses. And honestly, being able to summon 5 PL 8 minions for a PL 8 campaign does seem a bit much.

How does he fit it within the student body?
Yeah it's weird I was checking the same. Oh do keep in mind that he cannot have more than 4 out at the same time, and needs a standard action to deploy one. That said, if you think it's better I could go with the distracting flaw and remove the hidden Minion thing.

Well I was thinking he was also a student, and the workshop thing was his extra curricular activity. The whole incident made him lose a few school years while he was recovering. Olev would be very interested in medicine and bio tech for obvious reasons.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Camus

Post by Camus »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:41 am
-Target lock (Affliction 8): Hindered, immobile, Paralyzed. Fort. Accurate 5, Increased range, Reaction (Enemy spots the mine))
Nothing about the name of the power explains that the enemy gets shocked with electricity by spotting the mine. That's all I meant.
Ah good catch, I always forget to put descriptors in my powers. They all make sense in my head, I just keep forgetting other people don't read minds.

Did I say that last thing or loud?
;)
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
FuzzyBoots

Re: Skolldir

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Camus wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:54 pm Submitting a new character! Or if you dont like him, Technoninja is still there.
Technoninja wasn't a bad concept, but I'll look over Skolldir, of course.
Camus wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:54 pm
- Fantastiske turbomber (Amazing walking bombs) ( Summon 8 : Controlled, Hide minions, Multiple minions 2, Mental link. Power loss, can only pack 10 mines per day ) · 49 point/s
Honestly, even as minions, I'm a bit iffy on allowing you to have four of them at the campaign PL. Would you be OK with reducing their PL? Even PL 6 would be less unbalancing.

As regards the "Power Loss", given Unreliable only gives you five usages, I think ten might be a bit much for the same cost. :) Although, dismissed Minions would have to recover before they could be re-summoned, so I'm not certain how often you'd be encountering the limit as it is.
Camus wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:54 pmDefenses : Dodge 13 (9 ranks+4 shrinking), Parry (9 ranks+4 shrinking), Fort -, Toughness 5, Will -· 18 point/s
You currently have them at PL 9 on defense...
Camus wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:54 pm Acrobatics 0 (+ 0 ), Deception 0 (+ 0 ), Athletics 0 (+ 0 ), Expertise (Technology) 4 (+ 10 ), Insight 0 (+ 4 ), Treatment 0 (+ 6 ), Persuacion 0 (+ 0 ), Technology 10 (+ 16 ), Vehicles 0 (+ 0 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 0 ), Perception 4 (+ 8 ), Intimidation 0 (+ 0 ), Investigation 0 (+ 6 ), Stealth 0 (+ 0 )
What do you see Expertise (Technology) as offering you in addition to his Technology skill?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Any comment on Hope's changes? I know they weren't terribly extensive, but I would like to know if they seem more streamlined to others as well.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:43 am Any comment on Hope's changes? I know they weren't terribly extensive, but I would like to know if they seem more streamlined to others as well.
Can you remind me how you planned the "Create 11, Limited to Size 3, Proportionate" combo to work? Right now, it reads as only being able to create something at 8 cubic feet with 8 Toughness at a -2 Flaw discount.

I'm also a bit hazy on the Burst Attack boosting her Concealment power.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Well, the idea was that the cap of a Create construct should be the PL of the game, or matching the toughness cap of the character. There is an argument to be made that since created constructs have no defense value, it should be twice the PL, but that could be potentially very unbalancing, so I err on the side of not entertaining that argument in practice.

So if I went Create 8 with Proportionate, the largest construct she could manage volume wise is rank 0 at full toughness. What I was trying to do was increase that baseline of the largest object she could do without reducing the toughness due to Proportionate.

That being said, I did make an error. As it is, Proportionate is giving a discount on 3 ranks where it's not even applicable due to those ranks have no toughness, making the flaw non-functioning there. An oversight on my part, since I didn't really even gloss over it when I was streamlining other things on the sheet since I had thought it was fine.

I am open to suggestions on how to deal with that. I am of the opinion that an "Increased Volume" extra (which doesn't exist in the book but let's call it a Feature extra) isn't really a consistently appropriate approach, because while the cost would be equal to "Create, Limited to Volume", it wouldn't factor in the cost of any other extras or flaws. (it would cost more in my case, but less in the case of someone making a stronger create power that costs more per rank)

The other thought is doing the base Create 8 normally, then have an Enhanced Power for the ranks limited to volume, just to make the power construct easier to follow.
[6pp] Create 8, Continuous, Feature (Generates Light), Precise, Close Range, Limited to sheathing existing matter, Proportionate
[1pp] Enhanced Power (Create +2, Continuous, Close Range, Limited to sheathing existing matter, Limited to volume)

This nets a loss of 1 rank of volume (while fitting the array budget of 7pp) which I am fine with. Proportionate only applies to the 8 rank that has toughness at all, and she can create a rank 2 volume construct before proportionate starts lowering the construct's toughness. Sound better?

EDIT: Another idea I thought of while at work all night here, just directly raise the ranks of Create, take out the "Limited to volume" part entirely, knowing that Create's toughness cap is 8. So for example, if I have Create 10, only 8 ranks can ever be dedicated to toughness. This may be the most simplified solution and would result in a net rank in Create of 10, as the example above would be for the same 7pp total cost and would look like;

[7pp] Create 10, Continuous, Feature (Generates Light), Precise, Close Range, Limited to sheathing existing matter, Proportionate

Seems streamlined and simplified just functioning under the understanding that the max Toughness is 8 (Hope's max Toughness)

Her Concealment power is neat. It has two parts, the Permanent base effect which affects her only, preventing her from being heard by any auditory sense. It's not that she doesn't make noise, her power just conceals it by absorbing the sound. Hope can technically still speak, she just cannot be HEARD by anyone other than herself.

The second part is expanding the concealment into a burst area centered on herself. The principal is the same as creating a zone of impenetrable darkness, just instead of blocking visual senses, she is blocking auditory ones. No sound made inside the zone can be heard by anyone (except Hope due to the Feature on the base power), inside or outside the affected area.

People inside the area can leave the area and hear normally with no lasting effects on themselves. Since I applied no range, the area centers on Hope herself.

Mechanically; The concealment itself is permanent. But making it a zone of silence is a sustained effect. The Feature is basically Immunity 1 (Own concealment power). She can hear everything just fine at all times.

A bit long winded, but hopefully that clears thing up. :oops: (I tend to have an inordinate amount of thought process going into basically every build I make....so I don't typically have "simple answers")
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I asked after "Hide Minions" on the Lone Wolf forums. It's a cosmetic thing that doesn't actually cost points, but suppresses the display of the Minion character sheets. So it's not really a Power Extra that does anything in-game. :-D
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:19 pm I asked after "Hide Minions" on the Lone Wolf forums. It's a cosmetic thing that doesn't actually cost points, but suppresses the display of the Minion character sheets. So it's not really a Power Extra that does anything in-game. :-D
:lol: Still, an extra that allows for minions to be summoned already hidden is cool and not overly powerful.

On another topic, did my explanation clear things up? And what do you think about my suggestion to clean up her Create power?
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Between Replica, Titaness, and Tough Stuff, this team seems pretty well-stocked with bricks already, but if you decide you want even more muscle, I'd be happy to throw Fortress in. I'm only in one game, so I have time to participate in another. Thanks for sending me the PM! :)
Camus

Re: Skolldir

Post by Camus »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:15 am
Camus wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:54 pm Submitting a new character! Or if you dont like him, Technoninja is still there.
Technoninja wasn't a bad concept, but I'll look over Skolldir, of course.
Camus wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:54 pm
- Fantastiske turbomber (Amazing walking bombs) ( Summon 8 : Controlled, Hide minions, Multiple minions 2, Mental link. Power loss, can only pack 10 mines per day ) · 49 point/s
Honestly, even as minions, I'm a bit iffy on allowing you to have four of them at the campaign PL. Would you be OK with reducing their PL? Even PL 6 would be less unbalancing.

As regards the "Power Loss", given Unreliable only gives you five usages, I think ten might be a bit much for the same cost. :) Although, dismissed Minions would have to recover before they could be re-summoned, so I'm not certain how often you'd be encountering the limit as it is.
Camus wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:54 pmDefenses : Dodge 13 (9 ranks+4 shrinking), Parry (9 ranks+4 shrinking), Fort -, Toughness 5, Will -· 18 point/s
You currently have them at PL 9 on defense...
Camus wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:54 pm Acrobatics 0 (+ 0 ), Deception 0 (+ 0 ), Athletics 0 (+ 0 ), Expertise (Technology) 4 (+ 10 ), Insight 0 (+ 4 ), Treatment 0 (+ 6 ), Persuacion 0 (+ 0 ), Technology 10 (+ 16 ), Vehicles 0 (+ 0 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 0 ), Perception 4 (+ 8 ), Intimidation 0 (+ 0 ), Investigation 0 (+ 6 ), Stealth 0 (+ 0 )
What do you see Expertise (Technology) as offering you in addition to his Technology skill?
Sure, I'll drop them to pl6, not a problem. Hm, perhaps distracting is indeed more limiting, as you say, unreliable would be free points basically.
Regarding expertise, I was under the impression technology was used as a hands on experience with tech, what you would roll for hacking a computer. Expertise will give you formal knowledge on technology. Say you want to know how to disable the evil army of robots attacking the city? An expertise check would be needed, and to be able to carry it out youll need technology roll. My impression only, havent actually read about it in the rules
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ