[3E OOC] The J.V. Team

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Batgirl III

Re: [3E] Toys Will Be Toys (Recruiting through June 6)

Post by Batgirl III »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:52 am Hahah, good point. What Cindy would really benefit from would be a style that benefits from her small size, or at least allows her to use it well. Baseball bats work for now, though I can't imagine she'll stick with one for her entire career. ....Right?
Wing Chun, the particular school of kung fu practiced by Yp Man, Bruce Lee, Michelle Yeoh, and many others, was according to legend, created by a woman. It’s seen as a “soft form” because of its emphasis on defense, blocking, and precision timing... But, just watch someone like Donnie Yen in action. “Soft form” doesn’t mean “gentle.” If you want to be flashy, but put an emphasis on defense, Wing Chun is your best place to start.

Jeet Kun Do, the form developed by Bruce Lee, owes a lot to Wing Chun. But Lee moved away from the very structured and rigid techniques of Wing Chun into a more “anything goes” approach tailored to every individual student. So a guy with great upper body strength would learn to use his punches the best, the petite nimble girl would learn to use her footwork best, and so forth. If you want flashy-but-practical, it’s hard to beat JKD.

Brazilian Jujitsu, especially as taught by the Gracie family, is a grappling art that relies a lot on having the endurance to outlast your opponents’ flashy initial offense and then launch into a grapple. Like Jeet Kun Do, BJJ is also heavily tailored for the body type and personality of the individual practitioner. Rhonda Rousey mixed a lot of BJJ with more traditional Japanese Jujitsu and Judo. If you want to give Cindy a less flashy, more gritty style of combat, jujitsu is a good basis.

Since we’re dealing with a comic book game and comic book logic, you can justify things that in the real world fall under the “Awesome But Impractical” trope. Namely, professional wrestling! Cindy might take really well to the acrobatic and intense style of lightning bruiser luchadors like Rey Mysterio Jr. Sure, in a real-world situation, the flying, off-the-top-rope hurricanranas and headscissor throws might be kinda stupid... But this is COMICS!
Last edited by Batgirl III on Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Toast Burglar

Post by Toast Burglar »

Non-weapon striking styles are best suited to larger, heavier individuals in most cases. If you want to take advantage of small size, you want to play with grappling or throwing styles like Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, etc.

Alternatively, you could go a bit hybridized, and work with Taekkyeon, which is a kick-heavy style with very little groundfighting, but involves a great deal of whole-body techniques with fully integrated armwork, as well as many takedowns, throws, and grapples to compliment its strike-focus.

RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:52 am Hahah, good point. What Cindy would really benefit from would be a style that benefits from her small size, or at least allows her to use it well. Baseball bats work for now, though I can't imagine she'll stick with one for her entire career. ....Right?
All you need to do is branch out into other athletic equipment. Go full Sportsmaster.

Genevieve puts a lot of work into her combat style, but I couldn't tell you what real world martial art it was closest to. It's about 50% feinting and misdirection and 50% sudden brutality.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hahah, I have a feeling she might just go down the sportsmaster route over time. Less silly though, Jujitsu, Taekwondo, maybe even a mix of each could probably be her future down the line. I do imagine she'll get stronger as she get's older as her abilities grow more pronounced, but she'l always be a small fry.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

For what it’s worth, in real life, I’m 5’3” and 150-ish.

I practice highland broadsword and smallsword (McBane), cavalry sabre (Le Marchants), and am starting to dabble with the arming sword and buckler (I.33). In high school and college I was an amateur competitive Olympic fencer in saber. I’ve mucked about with zweihanders, claymores, longswords, and polearms too. Enough not to be a complete idiot with them, but by no means am I winning any competitions!

When I was in the USCG, I earned the Coast Guard Pistol Marksmanship Ribbon as a “sharpshooter,” but was never able to reach “expert” level (because I loathed the M9 Beretta we had to use). There was no official recognition of it in the service, but in training on my own time, I trained like mad with various shotguns and would have been considered an “expert” if such an award had existed.

I haven’t ever really studied any dedicated hand to hand form, although various rudimentary grappling techniques were part of USCG training and are part of most swordsmanship manuals too. Also, my husband was a first fan black belt in judo (a shoulder injury and subsequent surgery caused him to stop practicing the sport) and we used to wrestle and grapple as... um... recreation. So I’m reasonably certain I can tussle with a belligerent drunk or an aggressive meth-head well enough not to get serious injured and get them into handcuffs.

I’m not a martial arts expert, by any means, but I have a fair amount of hands-on, practical experience. So it’s not all arm chair theorizing.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

For what it’s worth, in real life, I’m 5’3” and 150-ish.

I practice highland broadsword and smallsword (McBane), cavalry sabre (Le Marchants), and am starting to dabble with the arming sword and buckler (I.33). In high school and college I was an amateur competitive Olympic fencer in saber. I’ve mucked about with zweihanders, claymores, longswords, and polearms too. Enough not to be a complete idiot with them, but by no means am I winning any competitions!

When I was in the USCG, I earned the Coast Guard Pistol Marksmanship Ribbon as a “sharpshooter,” but was never able to reach “expert” level (because I loathed the M9 Beretta we had to use). There was no official recognition of it in the service, but in training on my own time, I trained like mad with various shotguns and would have been considered an “expert” if such an award had existed.

I haven’t ever really studied any dedicated hand to hand form, although various rudimentary grappling techniques were part of USCG training and are part of most swordsmanship manuals too. Also, my husband was a first fan black belt in judo (a shoulder injury and subsequent surgery caused him to stop practicing the sport) and we used to wrestle and grapple as... um... recreation. So I’m reasonably certain I can tussle with a belligerent drunk or an aggressive meth-head well enough not to get serious injured and get them into handcuffs.

I’m not a martial arts expert, by any means, but I have a fair amount of hands-on, practical experience. So it’s not all arm chair theorizing.

(And yes, if my family had been able to afford a horse, I would have competed in modern pentathlon.)
Corrigon

Re: [3E] Toys Will Be Toys (Recruiting)

Post by Corrigon »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:17 pm
Corrigon wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:46 pm Burst
Honestly, I don't really have anything to comment on other than to note that you should label his Fire Punch as Strength-Based Damage. Seems solid.

Least I haven't forgotten how to create a character
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

If your talking unarmed,i'd look at these two here....
Slugger Boxing and Sambo
Slugger Boxing=Due to Cindy's small size,i honestly Wouldn't recommend boxing at all....but,due to her powers,if you DID pick up boxing,i'd go with Slugger Style....

Sambo=the thing about this style,it doesn't care about your size so long as you can grapple your opponent successfully.You might want to increase your Strength later,though...
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

My goddess Cindy with Brazilian Juijustu would be insane setting aside that at str 3 shes matching most Female MMA athletes at least, the fact that she cant be hurt by anyone would turn her into a barnacle, itd be like trying to scrape one off a ship with a butter knife once she locked on to you.

Irene I see as running a good mix of Krav Maga, Muay Thai, a little Juijustsu and some Boxing and JKD, a lot of straight hard impacts, mixed with anything goes fighting. and ground work.

Not much weapons work mainly a little escrimina for the occasion when she uproots a couple of telephone poles for convenience and to defend against any weapons used against her.

And for reference ive been a practicing martial artist for a good 3 decades in a few styles, and was a sharpshooter in the US army

For Hope d say a mix of Escrimina Aikido, and some JKD and Krav Maga. those styles use a lot of Stick work, solid self defense fundamentals, and some hard brutal shots while aikido flows like sound around the opponent moving with them and defending effectively allowing the enemy to beat themselves up with only minor assistance from you
Last edited by catsi563 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:41 pm For Gen id say a mix of Escrimina Aikido, and some JKD and Krav Maga. those styles use a lot of Stick work, solid self defense fundamentals, and some hard brutal shots while aikido flows like sound around the opponent moving with them and defending effectively allowing the enemy to beat themselves up with only minor assistance from you
You SAY for Gen, but it sounds like you're describing Hope, since as Hope already uses sticks are her primary offence option.

Genevieve is a brick, not in much needs of martial arts, though she would be pretty devastating with whatever style she ultimately opted to use.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Eep that's correct I meant hope sorry, how I got those two confused is beyond me :P
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I can't figure out if Ernie should even go for a combat Style...
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ernie strikes me as a disciple of the anything goes school of martial arts mixed in with the three stooges and the scooby gang.

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Good old fashioned fisticuffs, switching on and off between Maycn’s swarmer and out-boxer styles, might work really well for the Bug. Especially if he mixes in a few size-changing shenanigans, like the classic “grow to full size under your chin uppercut” or the “dodge your punch by suddenly shrinking” maneuver.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:29 am Good old fashioned fisticuffs, switching on and off between Maycn’s swarmer and out-boxer styles, might work really well for the Bug. Especially if he mixes in a few size-changing shenanigans, like the classic “grow to full size under your chin uppercut” or the “dodge your punch by suddenly shrinking” maneuver.
Especially given a decent amount of his combat bonus only works when he's shrunk.