Team Cerberus (OOC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Camus

Re: Team Cerberus (OOC)

Post by Camus »

Edited to better reflect his lack of understanding while also being an evil thug
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

You can also have him know what it means but remembers that Wainwright says if you attack one of the others, the tattoo will activate.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I'd actually forgotten about that.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Yeah, its kind of a big deal. And since it's magical, it could actually fire before your attack goes off.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Well, like I pointed out, the gesture only took it's present meaning in the 60s, and the Japanese never had this kind of hand gesture from what I have researched. It makes perfect sense that Oni wouldn't understand it, but could at least understand the intent behind making the gesture, which is what he appears to have done. :)

Honestly never thought I would be researching the origin of "flipping the bird". It's interesting how it's actually evolved and fused a few different things together.

The middle finger being extended in such a fashion has always been a clear obscene, sexual gesture and thought to have originated in ancient Greece, thought the first recorded mention of it from my researching it, is from 420-something BC in Greek-written play.

The bird part comes from 1860's slang to "give the big bird" which was meant to greet someone hissing like a goose, later evolving to include boos and catcalls in the 1920's, and then in the 60's transferred to using the "up yours" gesture with the middle finger, bringing it to the meaning we know today.
Camus

Post by Camus »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:08 am Well, like I pointed out, the gesture only took it's present meaning in the 60s, and the Japanese never had this kind of hand gesture from what I have researched. It makes perfect sense that Oni wouldn't understand it, but could at least understand the intent behind making the gesture, which is what he appears to have done. :)

Honestly never thought I would be researching the origin of "flipping the bird". It's interesting how it's actually evolved and fused a few different things together.

The middle finger being extended in such a fashion has always been a clear obscene, sexual gesture and thought to have originated in ancient Greece, thought the first recorded mention of it from my researching it, is from 420-something BC in Greek-written play.

The bird part comes from 1860's slang to "give the big bird" which was meant to greet someone hissing like a goose, later evolving to include boos and catcalls in the 1920's, and then in the 60's transferred to using the "up yours" gesture with the middle finger, bringing it to the meaning we know today.
Awesome. Who would have known there was such a rich history behind such a lowly expression of the human condition
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Camus wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:21 am
Awesome. Who would have known there was such a rich history behind such a lowly expression of the human condition
Right? :lol:
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Honestly, alot of our modern day curse words and gestures have more innocent origins..
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:37 am Honestly, alot of our modern day curse words and gestures have more innocent origins..
This sure ain't one of them :lol:
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

You realize that Cat just said she agrees with GeoTek's action and Oni is happy about that?
Camus

Post by Camus »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:29 am
Camus wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:21 am
Right? :lol:
Curse you now I'm looking stuff up on wikipedia! Goodbye sleep!

I learnt that a very common expression in spanish "Vete al carajo" which could be roughly translated to "Go fuck yourself / get lost" (but literally "go to the carajo") stems from the middle ages, where the "carajo" was the highest part of a type of spanish ship called galleon, and sending a sailor to such high and dangerous place was a form of punishment.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I'd like to point out that Oni's grasp of English is... Debatable. He could easily have misinterpreted Cat.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Camus

Post by Camus »

kenseido wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:39 am You realize that Cat just said she agrees with GeoTek's action and Oni is happy about that?
Ah, understood it the other way around. That she was in favour of asking first.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Sorry if I wasn't more clear. She was saying she's always in favor of taking the gamble. :)
Camus

Post by Camus »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:43 am I'd like to point out that Oni's grasp of English is... Debatable. He could easily have misinterpreted Cat.
Actually I'll let it stand, sounds more funny that way.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ