Team Cerberus (OOC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: Team Cerberus (OOC)

Post by EpicEclipse »

Tattooedman wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:24 pm
kenseido wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:41 pm Well a simple solution would be Power Lifting linked to the Flight suggesting Snowblind can carry more weight on the ice platform.
This seems like the most straightforward way to handle the power idea. I might just have to go back through a couple characters & add it.
Straightforward certainly, but it lacks the element of there now being an ice bridge kicking around until it melts or gets blasted. :P

Power-lifting is definitely a solution for certain types of platform flight like the aforementioned glider and disk, as well as something like a phantom horse or motorcycle. It just doesn't really work for something that leaves a path or bridge others can utilize like the Iceman ice slide. (Though to be fair, I think comic books with Iceman tend to largely not utilize the ice bridge that way and just ignore that they exist once they have served their purpose otherwise he just uses a create power to specifically create a bridge others can walk on.)

It's actually a little odd Snowblind travels this way, but doesn't actually have a create power somewhere in her array since it seems evident she can in fact whip up some ice via moisture, enough so to support her weight at least. Maybe something else to add once PP are earned. :)
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Wed May 23, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

And try to match every tiny detail of a power to exact detail just creates an absolute mess of a power build.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

kenseido wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:56 pm And try to match every tiny detail of a power to exact detail just creates an absolute mess of a power build.
Have you seen some of the crazy mechanical acrobatics I do on the regular for exactly that purpose?

I actually asked TM specifically if he would prefer I keep to a simpler build because my original plan was going to be a bit.... intense.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Just proving my point. Keep it simple.

Descriptors do have an effect in game (ice slide vs flying surf board). People either tend to forget them or try to misuse the crap out of them.

How do you build a kryptonite laser? Do you build this death attack limited to Kryptonians or do you build a blast with kryptonite descriptor and let the Drawback work against them?
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

And please understand, I totally get where you are coming from.

I would regularly do that, and I must have tweaked and retweaked the Grapple rules in 2e dozens of times, as well as playtest fights, in a silly attempt to make them match real life.

One of my big complaints in 3e was how they made the rules too simplified and it lost some of the nuances. But then a friend showed me the simplicity in the rules made it easier to have fun in the game. I went from pages and pages of house rules to 2 rules total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

No worries man. Everyone just has their own groove. And sometimes what seems like a complex power actually has a really simple way to build it.

I do tend to over think things and build in mechanics that take into account uses that may not be readily evident. The ice slide is a really good example of this. On a surface level, platform flight seems perfect, and on it's basic use, it absolutely is.

But then you consider there is now an ice bridge kicking around. Well, if you want to utilize this fact, you need mechanics to substantiate its existance for use as cover or having other people use it to get over or around some kind of obstacle. But if you intend to never use it those ways, then you can do as the comics and just have it not be there once you've used It, maybe it's not super durable and just falls apart once your power isn't actively holding it together or something.

This power is only getting complicated because the player wants to use it in a way that the way it is built doesn't actually support but the description of the power does. (And this kind of thing is sort of my specialty in M&M and one of my primary interests in the game, playing with the mechanics. Thus the mechanic shop in my signature ;) )
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Yes, power gamers will try to take advantage of the ice bridge from the flight power in ways beyond what its meant to be. In reality, an ice bridge would take a while to melt and have significant impact on a scene.

But this isn't reality, its comics. And as you said, Iceman's ice bridges were almost never seen after he was done flying by on one, and did many, many impossible things that never should have worked.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I suppose it's a powerset that relies exclusively on coolness to operate.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It’s part of what I call the “gentleman’s agreement,” whereby we all abide by genre conventions just because they’re genre conventions.

Why can Clark Kent keep Lois Lane from recognizing him as Superman using only a pair of glasses and not have 90 ranks of Disguise? Because comics.

Why can the Hulk lift an aircraft carrier by grabbing it’s keel and not have gravity snap it in two? Because comics.

Why do people harp on the Punisher for using lethal weapons but ignore Hawkeye’s equally lethal longbow? Because comics.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

kenseido wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:27 pm Yes, power gamers will try to take advantage of the ice bridge from the flight power in ways beyond what its meant to be. In reality, an ice bridge would take a while to melt and have significant impact on a scene.

But this isn't reality, its comics. And as you said, Iceman's ice bridges were almost never seen after he was done flying by on one, and did many, many impossible things that never should have worked.
Right! Like, realistically, one would have an altitude limitation as the pillar supports to sustain a bridge so high up would have to be absolutely MASSIVE because physics involving earth rotation, weight of ice, etc. But in the comics, it's not so important. It's literally a means to and end with no consideration for potential cause and effect of said means.

And I think I have a good solution that works for using affects others; shapable area limited to remaining in the area. It nets to a +0, anyone within the close proximity of a created area can use the slide at speed (including enemies, beware!) and removes that thing with affects others where they could meander off the path making their own flight platforms to go where they want (which makes it an actual limit since the added mobility to the team is limited in its tactical use since they need to stay on the area of effect)

And just so I am clear, I am by no means harping on simple solutions that get the job done while ignoring other potential factors for utility uses of a power like the ice slide. I personally happen to like complex mechanics but I understand they aren't for everyone and can be a headache to look at and they certainly aren't the only possible way to play the game.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:35 pm I suppose it's a powerset that relies exclusively on coolness to operate.
And now my ears are bleeding.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Mission accomplished.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:35 pm I suppose it's a powerset that relies exclusively on coolness to operate.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

ice ice baby :lol:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

catsi563 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:15 pm ice ice baby :lol:
No! Too late. We already picked theme songs.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.