For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Corrigon

Re: Firefly (M&M3E)- OOC

Post by Corrigon »

well, Takeshi knows lots of people, but nobody seems to like him
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

I was just thinking that ... Poor Takashi!
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

It's a great recurring joke. Hey, I know you- I hate you! But it's such a perfect way of describing where Takeshi has left people. People have a hard time accepting the consequences of their actions, even when they know that they're doing the right thing. It's even harder for them to accept when the person that they're following apparently get away without consequence and they have to pay for it. So often, they're entirely different kinds of punishment, some a lot more obvious than others.

Also, in this time of holiday cheer, I want to thank you all for coming with me on this adventure. Let's hope for many more to come!
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Jamal and Striker are welcome to come back if they want, but for now I'm assuming that they aren't in the story.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I really do feel sorry for the guy, honest! She's just... a little bitter. A tad of a little. Perhaps a smidgen of a tad. Of a lot. Fine, yes, she's very bitter. Things had not been going well for her these last few years.

Edit: Something Rayne would note, is that Tracy used to be a lot sweeter back before everything went down.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

both our shooters have gone quiet. feel sorry for somebody.

plus it seems to be a complication for Takashi. does the exactly right thing and gets blamed and hated from a different perspective
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

His Reputation coming into play, wouldn't you say?
------------
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

One could say that.

So.. how many times have I asked you to roll dice?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Me personaly? Not once yet, but I think I've spotted you ask for rolls just a couple times.
------------
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

fairly low on dice rolls as it has mostly been role-playing
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

... I really may need to start writing a game design journal bringing together all of my mechanic interpretations from this game and others.

Very simple answer is that hero points represents a resource that flow between the game master and the players, as the characters are challenged, they are offered hero points in order to have a better chance of being heroic. Scenes in which there is very little challenge in turn should earn fewer hero points. In my past games, I find that many characters end up with huge stockpiles because they don't end up using them, which breaks the cycle.

Also, I rely heavily upon complications as a source of personalizing the storyline. You're telling me about challenges that you want your characters will face. This leads to the complications being used often, which could lead to an overabundance of hero points, which again don't have many opportunities to be spent.

I want each hero point to be a difficult choice, do I spend it here or wait until later. When will you shine as a hero? Having huge hoards of them take away that suspense.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Part of that issue, the hoarding of HP's is that each GM is different, so it becomes a matter of hang on to it until the big bad shows up, because THAT's the moment everyone wants to shine. However, once a trend begins, and players see how easy, or difficult, it is to earn HP's from their GM, they are better able to determine when to spend it.

The second issue, is that Mechanically, re-rolls are the biggest advantage a HP can give, hence using one for a single Advantage for the scene, or to Edit the Scene itself are viewed by some players as 'poor' usage. Extra Effort grants fatigue the round following usage, and Fatigue is not that big of a deal in 3E, so re-rolls are still Mechanically the most effect usage.

At least that's my thought on HP's ... though an RP heavy game where there are fewer situations relying upon dice, may open up the other, more interesting options, of Hero Point expenditures.

That being said, I just have to say, wow we are a perceptive bunch on this train!
Atreju

Post by Atreju »

ZenGypsy wrote:...I just have to say, wow we are a perceptive bunch on this train!
Ha, speak for yourselves! :lol:

Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Timing is a little off, but keep hold of those rolls. Better to have them now than wait for me between the holidays.

ZenGypsy- you bring up some good points that I'll need to think about. I'm normally loathe to introduce new game mechanics and cause unintended consquences. I might look at the old Masterbook/TORG card system for some ideas.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Have the guards responded to me in anyway, or are we just having a standoff?
------------