[Interest] RWBY

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: [Interest] RWBY

Post by EpicEclipse »

Just rambling a bit about combat for my system before i have it posted later on from home.

So, many combat systems is "roll to hit" style, each roll is one attack and you have some kind of movement action amd the turn is broken into chunks.

What I am aiming for is something more dynamic. When you roll the dice, it represents a flurry of actions, a full "exchange" where the dice only display the end result.

Combat can also be one vs one, one vs group or group vs group. One vs one is straight forward. One vs group is where multiple attackers are targetting the same person and involves having a lead attacker who gains a bonus while all secondary attackers take a penalty. Group vs group is actually more a cluster of one vs group but who is targeting who is important as an unanswered attack has a larger window to hit hard.

Mainly, "facing" is the important element to consider. The first phase of a round determines who is facing who. If multiple attackers are facing one person, they are acting as a group and choose a primary attacker whom all the secondary attackers are supporting the primary.

Mechanically what this means differs for players depending whether the player is solo or part of the group. If solo, you must face the primary attacker of a group facing you (the advantage of numbers at work) and you roll with a disadvantage. If you are the primary attacker of a Group, you roll with advantage. If you are a secondary attacker, you roll with disadvantage as you cannot attack as effectively. If you are not being faced by a Group, you may target any member of the group and attack with advantage and without contest as they are not facing you to contest you.

And that is some of the fundamental mechanics of combat.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:16 pm One thing I do admit I am stuck on is Dust. Not so much in how to use it, but the elements of it. It is pretty widely agreed there are 10 colors, but variance on what colors are what element with some seeming to have changed as the volumes continue.

The unofficial RWBY tabletop has it's own list (which is missing gravity which I think was mentioned as a type somewhere) so i could use that or i could use the ones that are known for sure and sort of fill in the blanks for the rest. (Which I presume is exactly what the writer of the Unofficial RWBY rpg did)
Use the one's you know for certain,then just fill in the blanks as needed if i were you.....
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Dust is hard to factor in with this system if you want it to be anything more than flavor text.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:09 pm Dust is hard to factor in with this system if you want it to be anything more than flavor text.
Not entirely true. Dust is activated by interaction with Aura, and one needs to train in order to use Dust in a controlled manner. Ergo Dust use is a trait under Soul which covers social traits and aura related stuff. For weapons it can be an added trait as well for weapons that utilize dust. For a semblance that can utilize Dust, I would just use the semblance and a dust use trait under Soul.

The difference would be once you are out of plot points from your dust traits, you are effectively out of dust. Mainly narrative since it doesn't affect much. A trait that has no plot points doesn't really contribute meaningfully in a mechanical fashion.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I thought Semblances weren't associated to an attribute being a 'psuedo-attribute' themselves.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:28 pm I thought Semblances weren't associated to an attribute being a 'psuedo-attribute' themselves.
They aren't. For all intents and purposes, they are a separate attribute. But because Dust is used by interacting one's aura with it, dust use would be a soul trait that can be used when using Semblance. Think of it like a cross-attribute trait, except you can only improve it with Soul AXP
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:00 am
Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:28 pm I thought Semblances weren't associated to an attribute being a 'psuedo-attribute' themselves.
They aren't. For all intents and purposes, they are a separate attribute. But because Dust is used by interacting one's aura with it, dust use would be a soul trait that can be used when using Semblance. Think of it like a cross-attribute trait, except you can only improve it with Soul AXP
That seems to make sence to me,so far as your system goes.So what would the various colors do?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Still debating. Been a bit busy to work on it today. probably tomorrow (or later today, given that it's after midnight for me)
Bill from Accounting

Post by Bill from Accounting »

WIP

STEPHANIE MARIGOLD
<Stephanie is the female version of Stephen, which is derived from the Greek name Stephanos, meaning “crown.” Marigold was the name of King Midas’s daughter.>

RACE: Faunus (Donkey)
<As punishment for judging Pan the better musician than Apollo, King Midas's ears became those of a donkey. He attempted to hide his misfortune.>

BIOGRAPHY: The Marauders were a group of bandits that operated in the western end of Sanus. It consisted of murderers and thieves, prioritizing the accumulation of wealth and was responsible for multiple raids on villages. One day, the raid of a small settlement left everyone living their dead, save for a baby girl with donkey ears. The leader of the Marauders, Chryseos, took pity on the child and decided to keep her as one of their own. He gave her the name Stephanie Marigold.

The Marauders never told Stephanie the truth of her origins, teaching her instead how to be the perfect thief. Chryseos often beat her up to teach her how to fight. According to Stephanie, they kept her around because she was a skinny little kid who could squeeze into places that adults couldn't. When she proved herself a capable fighter, the bandits sent Stephanie to enroll in the combat school Shade Academy to learn how to counter the Huntsmen, the only major threat toward the group other than Grimm.

Following her graduation, Stephanie strayed from the plan to return to the Marauders. She had acquired the skills necessary to operate alone, so she could work as a freelance Huntress without splitting her earnings. Once away from Vacuo, Stephanie found that the rest of the world was not as accepting as Faunus, so she began to cover her donkey ears.

PERSONALITY: Stephanie was driven by money like the rest of the Marauders, and that trait remains with her; she desires wealth and splendor above all else. Raised by a gang of outlaws in the harsh lands of Vacuo has made her bitingly sarcastic and cynical. She prides herself on her abilities and professionalism. Though she displays a somewhat heroic personality since graduating from Shade Academy, Stephanie still has a distorted view of the logical and ethical boundaries of the law.

SEMBLANCE: Heavy Touch
<King Midas is popularly remembered in Greek mythology for his ability to turn everything he touched into gold.>

By touching something with her bare hand, Stephanie can alter the density of an object, making it much heavier and rigid. She can affect the entirety of inanimate objects, regardless of their size, although large objects drain more of her Aura. Her Semblance has a less extensive effect on living beings, only able to affect the body part that was touched. There is an upper limit to how dense she can make an object (19.32 g/cm^3, to be exact); objects that are already denser than that are unaffected.

WEAPON: Gilded Silencer
<Gilded means “covered thinly with gold paint.” Silencer is based on the saying “silence is golden.”>

The Gilded Silencer is an over-sized metal gauntlet that Stephanie wears on her right arm. She keeps her left hand free, as she needs skin contact to use her Semblance. Besides increasing the power of her punches, the thick plating on the top stores ammunition and can rotate 360 degrees. In the forward position, the gauntlet fires high-caliber shots. In the backward position, the gauntlet instead rapid fires, using the recoil to strike like a jackhammer.

All artwork by dishwasher1910.

BODY (3) 6 XP
Active 2
Reactive 2
Brilliant Fighting (Powerful) 2
Brilliant Fighting (Swift) 1
Sneak Around (Swift) 1
Donkey Faunus (Powerful) 1

MIND (2) 2 XP
Active 1
Reactive 1
Thievery (Technical) 1
Thievery (Swift) 1
Value Assessment (Technical) 1
Streetwise (Powerful) 1

SOUL (3) 6 XP
Active 2
Reactive 2
Deceit (Technical) 1
Deceit (Swift) 2
Being An Ass (Powerful) 1
The Art of Haggling (Technical) 1

SEMBLANCE (1) 2 XP
Metal Touch (Powerful) 1
Metal Touch (Swift) 1
Metal Touch (Technical) 1

WEAPON (2) 4 XP
Golden Fist (Powerful) 2
Recoil Movement (Swift) 1
Shining Shots (Powerful) 2
HUD (Technical) 1

Physical Wounds: 5
Mental Wounds: 3
Aura: 50
Last edited by Bill from Accounting on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Sorry it took a bit longer than anticipated. Monster Hunter: World came out on Friday and consumed much of my life >.>

Anyways, I updated the other thread with the system, it also has a sample build there. The main thing I want to point out is the game is more leaning towards a narritive. Ranks in attributes and traits are not the be all end all. Ranks in traits just give plot points which allow the trait to contribute more strongly in a particular check. Not spending a plot point doesn't mean the trait can't be used.

At the end of the day, this system is more about telling astory and having some rules in place for combat an other uncertainties, rather than being an engine for building super powered characters mechanically.

In any case, that should give enough of an idea to make an informed decision between using the homebrew or the Unofficial systems. I won't be insulted of people want to use the other one. I just wanna run some RWBY fun.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Character Sheet added to Nesh.

Please take a look.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:40 am Character Sheet added to Nesh.

Please take a look.
You'll need to redo your math on his primary attributes. You costed them 2xp / rank like Semblance and weapon, but it's actually 2 per previous rank, already starting at 1, so rank 2 costs 2, rank 3 costs 4 (total 6), rank 4 costs 6 (total 12) and so on.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:23 am
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:40 am Character Sheet added to Nesh.

Please take a look.
You'll need to redo your math on his primary attributes. You costed them 2xp / rank like Semblance and weapon, but it's actually 2 per previous rank, already starting at 1, so rank 2 costs 2, rank 3 costs 4 (total 6), rank 4 costs 6 (total 12) and so on.
Adjusted.
Bill from Accounting

Post by Bill from Accounting »

I'm interested in using your system; I've been a leaning a lot towards more narrative-based games. I have just a couple questions.

1. PeterPan said earlier that Approaches are used in a rock-paper-scissors manner, with Power over Technical, Technical over Swift, and Swift over Powerful. Since you didn't correct this, I'll assume it's right, but it doesn't seem to be stated in the rules.
2. I think I could benefit from a quick demonstration of combat. For example, how is Severity determined? Is it just the result of you roll, plus any bonuses from your Weapon?
3. How might you do Marigold's "Golden Touch" Semblance if you were building her? The two most common ways I see her using it is to immobilize opponents and making objects harder to move or break. Would those be two separate traits, or could they be combined into one (possibly with different approaches).
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

1) Powerful -> Technical -> Swift -> Powerful is the order in which you get an advantage, so if you use a technical trait in an opposed check against a swift trait, you get an advantage. If you use the same trait in an opposed check against a powerful trait, you have a disadvantage.

2) Severity is mentioned as the result in excess of your check. Since you need a 4 or better to succeed, Severity is your total die roll -3. I'll see what I can do about a combat sample later. Still want to see where everyone weighs in on using my system or the one from Reddit.

3) I didn't actually mention this, but Wounds are contextual. Originally I called them Conditions for this reason, but for this I think I will need to add in a new element for Conditions, things that don't necessarily cause damage, but hamper someone in some way, like Stephanie's semblance.

Normally how less direct stuff like that would work is you you roll and the result becomes essentially a challenge severity. Nesh's barriers for example would essentially get it's own wound count equal to the severity he rolls when he puts up a barrier. Merigold's would in essence create a flaw on someone with a severity to it that would represent the difficulty to overcome it. I know none of this is actually written in the rules, but the way I envisions the system was using the traits and mechanics to apply effects on the fly since players tend to be a creative bunch, so it's hard to make a mechanic for everything, so I made a mechanic for anything. It keeps things simple, and players get to have really unique abilities.

So the short answer would be, if she can make something ahrder, but not heavier and vice versa, then separate traits. Otherwise, just make the one per approach as normal.