[Interest] RWBY

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: [Interest] RWBY

Post by EpicEclipse »

kenmadragon wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:42 pm I'd definitely be interested. I really like RWBY, even if the writing hasn't been the best in the last couple seasons.

Still, gotta wonder about the system being used. I mean, there is a tabletop RPG floating around on Reddit, that might work. But I think I'd need more details on the style of game and what to expect from the the projected plot.
I hadn't seen any RWBY tabletop games, though admittedly I did a minor google search more out of curiosity. I was more interested in constructing my own anyways, which I am working some kinks out of before posting, but I can give more details than I had previously, but first I'll address the projected plot premise; The four characters chosen would be fully fledged hunters/huntresses, possibly from different kingdoms, who have formed a sort of freelance team. More free to take jobs from wherever they happen to be adventuring without having to strictly answer to anyone in particular. (They still have to follow laws and such, but they don't have a "superior"). The idea would be through their adventuring and taking of missions they may come across deeper plots that they may act on. Maybe save a kingdom or two in the process. And fight plenty of grimm. I had mentioned this would be set prior to the plot of the animated series, so wouldn't be dealing with those antagonists, though certain NPCs would certainly be around, namely the academy headmasters, Qrow, and so on, though there's no guarantee you'd necessarily run into them. Hope that gives you enough of a taste without getting into particulars.

As for the system, I am keeping it relatively simple, yet deep enough to allow for dynamic combats and unique characters.

It runs on the basic trifecta of Attributes (Body, Mind and Soul), character selected Traits which are unique to the character and entail everything from combat style, to their semblance powers to special skills or training, an Approach system which flavors character Traits as well which can impact how their Traits execute and can give advantages or disadvantages appropriately, and Flaws which can crop up in situations to hinder a character.

The idea is each attribute and trait has a die value. Traits can be taken up to three times, once for each approach, which grants the benefit of also accessing the Masterful approach which has its own benefits. Gear and equipment is also constructed by Traits as well.

That's the basic rundown, I'll have a more complete ruleset posted sometime in the enxt week or so.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

PeterPan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:24 pm I swear, I didn't want for this to be so complicated that I needed to rehash it 6 times. T-T

Phantom Thief: Steals attributes from people and monsters, and allows him to give them to others for a limited time. One attribute at a time, split up between any number of targets. More stolen = more cost. Benefits are lost when victim is defeated or aura is depleted.

Done. No fancy tricks or mechanics. No superfluous numbers. Just a narrative ability that does narrative things.
I like that it requires the person stolen from to be conscious. It's like a small exploitable flaw in his power where an enemy side, if they learn of it, can decide if it's worth fighting a man short to deprive you of that man's power and knock their own guy out to shut off your semblance, at least until you can grab someone else.

Just a few clarification questions; it says one attribute at a time but also more stolen = more cost. Does that mean he can steal multiple attributes one at a time, or that the larger the single attribute Tue more it takes out of him? And second question, it says he can distribute the single attribute to many people, does it have some kind of dilution effect where the more people it is spread out over the weaker the actual effect they receive?
PeterPan

Post by PeterPan »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:48 pm
I like that it requires the person stolen from to be conscious. It's like a small exploitable flaw in his power where an enemy side, if they learn of it, can decide if it's worth fighting a man short to deprive you of that man's power and knock their own guy out to shut off your semblance, at least until you can grab someone else.

Just a few clarification questions; it says one attribute at a time but also more stolen = more cost. Does that mean he can steal multiple attributes one at a time, or that the larger the single attribute Tue more it takes out of him? And second question, it says he can distribute the single attribute to many people, does it have some kind of dilution effect where the more people it is spread out over the weaker the actual effect they receive?
The larger the single attribute, the more it takes out of him. So he can steal a LOT of Strength from a Goliath, but that costs a proportionate sum.

And yeah. It's split up amongst all his targets. If he steals '4' he can give two people '2' or four people '1' or eight people '.5'
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

One slight change I would like to suggest is a range limit. If the person stolen from or your allies leave a certain radius the effect drops. Sound fair?
PeterPan

Post by PeterPan »

EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:33 am One slight change I would like to suggest is a range limit. If the person stolen from or your allies leave a certain radius the effect drops. Sound fair?
Sure. Lets say like, 50 meters radius? (Football field range)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Sounds fair
PeterPan

Post by PeterPan »

Alright, I've edited his character sheet. Hope I get in after all that. XD
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

kenmadragon wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:42 pm I'd definitely be interested. I really like RWBY, even if the writing hasn't been the best in the last couple seasons.

Still, gotta wonder about the system being used. I mean, there is a tabletop RPG floating around on Reddit, that might work. But I think I'd need more details on the style of game and what to expect from the the projected plot.
Revisiting this post and the link therein. The system on the reddit post there is pretty cool. I'd be willing to run this using that if people want, or you can wait for my amateur system to be posted to decide. I think this unofficial RWBYRPG is a bit more complex than my system is, but it's not bad by any stretch and definitely more polished than what I have which makes expense given it was started in 2017 and what I have is using some mechanics I came up with as late as early 2017 while putting together some new stuff as well. So definitely not polished overall.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:16 pm
So his semblance is a sort of weapon sense and manipulation? Not entirely sure how I feel about that given how common weaponry is and the fact it seems to have no real limitation if he can touch the weapon to permanently disable it by having it just fall apart. What knowledge of schematics he knows is widely in the air, so not much of a limitation and easy to circumvent besides, though I would imagine on top of knowing the schematics, he would also have to have the correct parts to construct such a weapon.

All in all, I don't necessarily like the semblance, but I think it can work with some changes.

His weapon on the other hand, the swordcane/elephant rifle is an interesting combination, makes me think of the Reiterpallasch from Bloodborne, but more powerful in the gun shot department. What does concern me about it though is the statement that is can slay any grimm without armor plating, with no further context given. Theoretically any weapon is capable of this, but you don't explain whether you mean in a single hit, and if ALWAYS a single hit or what exactly.

We do see Ruby cut multiple beowolves in half in single sweeps from her scythe, but we also see her have to strike beowolves multiple times to slay them as well, just to explain my point. One shot slayings happen, but we see the same character against the same type of foe have to take multiple attacks to slay them, so consistency is the question.

As for the robotic battle maid, gonna veto that, for two reasons. The simpler of the two is it would be essentially a second character to control which I don't really want. The more relevant reason though is the characters would be going on frequent missions, so he wouldn't have the means by which to be constantly be tinkering with it. Worth also noting, a robotic battle maid is essentially a "weapon", just in humanoid form, which circles back to one of the concerns i have about the suggested semblance.
Your exactly right about the semblance issue(him having to need correct&additional parts to make the changes).If you want,we could make it where it's for a limited time only,say 10 minutes tops.As for the weapon sense,let's say he has to concentrate to use it that way. I apologize for not being more clearer (i thought you knew how an Elephant Gun,or the American Punt Gun,as their really the same calibur)about it.The Gun mode on his weapon needs to be braced first BEFORE he can fire it,otherwise anyone that isn't strong enough (including himself)will break their shoulder on the first shot. as for the power,let me clairify:as long as the Grimm in question is not bobbing and weaving(as in,moving in a straight line or standing still ),he can kill it in 1 shot every time,2 if it moved.But remember that he only has 2 shots in it before he has to re-load more dust cartridges into it. As much as i hate to lose Ms.Peabody,i understand you reasons.....sniff,sniff....
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:17 am Revisiting this post and the link therein. The system on the reddit post there is pretty cool. I'd be willing to run this using that if people want, or you can wait for my amateur system to be posted to decide. I think this unofficial RWBYRPG is a bit more complex than my system is, but it's not bad by any stretch and definitely more polished than what I have which makes expense given it was started in 2017 and what I have is using some mechanics I came up with as late as early 2017 while putting together some new stuff as well. So definitely not polished overall.
I'm in favor of seeing yours first,as i'm more intrested in it than the other.....as an aside:i made my own Resident Evil RPG system using nothing but a pair of D6's and the first issue of the RE magazine that had just come out.After i'm done w/my Ultraverse builds,i'll put it up for review......
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Just an update on my system and to give you a taste, I've polished up some of the mechanics and wording and posted it here.
PeterPan

Post by PeterPan »

Well it certainly looks interesting. Would definitely need examples to work with, since it mentions things like Traits and Approaches, but doesn't define them much beyond 'training and skills'. Are these like Fantaji Traits, where they are like fanciful cliches and phrases keyed to our characters which we play to for bonuses, with Approach sharpening their definition? Or are they more like Fate Aspects, requiring we have a certain Trait to try anything? Just a skill system? Something else?

I've also tried my hand at a RWBY system before (albeit I'm far too shy to share my designs) and I found that the keys are weapon customizability, and semblance customizability, with a focus on stylish-feeling gameplay without punishment for going overboard. Most characters in RWBY asides like... Jaune (at the beginning) are badasses capable of taking care of ridiculous numbers of Grimm on their own, and only get better when they unite forces.

Quick Overlook

From the looks of it, you have a Rock Paper Scissors style battle and skill system, Powerful Beats Technical Beats Swift Beats Powerful, with Cautious being a 'Safe and Even' option, and Masterful being the 'Middle Finger' but requiring a lot of focus on the given trait to be good.

Traits are associated with Body, Mind, and Soul, and you get a number of points to spend on traits (and Plot Points for those Traits) by investing in stats. Weapons and Semblances also have Traits (presumably with their own Plot Points). Those traits have Approaches which determines how they play into the Rock-Paper-Scissors Mechanic. A single Trait can suit multiple Approaches, which speaks to me a degree of customizability or even outright uniqueness that can't be appropriately systemized in the common sense.

So basically, I'm not foreseeing a huge list of Traits with proper Approaches alongside them, but instead a degree of narrative customizability. Am I correct?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Just to clarify Traits, they are not like FATE Aspects. They are much more simplified than that. You can name them what you want, but ultimately, Combat, Combat Training, Fighting Style, etc are all the same thing at the end of the day. I certainly could write up a list of common traits, it would look like a skill list from D&D.

So you are more or less on the ball with the general concept of the system. I don't quite get what you mean in your last line though. No-one should have a "huge" list of traits, no. Considering an attribute (semblance or equipment) can only be ranked up to 10, that gives a maximum of 30AXP, so you could reasonably max out 10 traits, or have, for whatever insane reason, 1 point in 30 traits (10 traits three times over to have a point in every approach for each trait?). That being said, getting to rank 10 should be a loooong process, and considering you need to balance your XP spending between attributes, gear and equipment upgrades, you have quite a lot to spend XP on to generate AXP
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Also worth note, I hadn't posted a description of what active and reactive states or shining moments are despite mentioning them. I had added them to my own file since yesterday but I'll have to post them during a break at work.

Shining Moments are sort of a super resource that account for those times when characters are absolute badasses defying any logic or reason. They are earned similar to how hero points are earned in mutants and masterminds, but are more potent in the context of this game.

Combat is the main thing I am working on cleaning up the written for, but each turn is not a 'I swing my weapon at the Grimm. Okay next turn, I swing it again.'. Each round you make a type of action; offensive, defensive and what have you (there is a list) and that entails an entire exchange, a flurry of movements and attacks.

One on one and group (anything more than one) also have rules to explain how they work.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

One thing I do admit I am stuck on is Dust. Not so much in how to use it, but the elements of it. It is pretty widely agreed there are 10 colors, but variance on what colors are what element with some seeming to have changed as the volumes continue.

The unofficial RWBY tabletop has it's own list (which is missing gravity which I think was mentioned as a type somewhere) so i could use that or i could use the ones that are known for sure and sort of fill in the blanks for the rest. (Which I presume is exactly what the writer of the Unofficial RWBY rpg did)