New Vindicators Academy of Europe #30: Allegory of Prudence (M&M 2E - IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #26 - The Persistence of Memory (M&M 2E - IC)

Post by Flynnarrel »

Martin even phases partway through the walls, floor and furniture to see if Jason had installed secret compartments before concluding the mask and dagger absent.

He'll sniff at the books to see if the sharpness of magic were about them. He'll proceed to pack up the rest of Jason's room and move the boxes down to the school's storage area*.
* Assuming It has one.
After a brief perusal of the pages, the odd books he'll turn over to Dennis. Until contacted further on this issue, Martin will leave it be and resume his life as normal.
[okay to end it for me.]
"Something pithy this way comes."
Michuru

Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #26 - The Persistence of Memory (M&M 2E - IC)

Post by Michuru »

The Next Morning…
It had been a quiet week on campus. There was no movement from Count Down. Magnitude and the Volunteers had stopped a police chase that spun out of a drug bust as well as an attempted suicide. Beyond that, it was calm—eerily calm. Most unnerving for Magnitude was the news about the International Centre bombing: hearing people attribute Neo-Sapiens for saving people, rather than blaming them for something, was going to take some getting used to. Maybe Newton had been right: the world was beginning to change…

3 had been equally quiet, forcing Otso to simply enjoy his girlfriend’s presence. The morning after his phone call with 3, they ran into Derryl in the cafeteria, only to discover it was the wrong Derryl. Soon enough, they were with the Derryl whom Otso had returned from Argus’ dimension with. He had little new to add to what Wendy had told them except that 3 wasn’t simply bald, but perfectly hairless. “He didn’t have any eyebrows,” Derryl said.

Derryl was more help to Otso than Newton had been to Martin, however: the headmaster either didn’t know or refused to say where Jason Lamperouge was. It seemed, that for the time being, there would be no contacting him.

The morning after his return, Kirstie woke up in alarm. She had meant to wake up early, to sneak out of Lex’s room before the rest of the boys in his building were up and about. Waking up in the late morning meant that escaping the boys’ dorms without being seen would be a feat. “I told you we should have stayed in the band room,” she said as she flopped back onto his bed. To make the situation worse, his father knocked immediately after, inviting Lex to breakfast. When he announced his intentions to call and invite Kirstie too, the blonde scrambled to silence her device before their rouse was discovered.

Violet showed Rose, Lena, and Kelly her tattoo at breakfast. It was a conversation someone else seemed to eavesdrop on: a tall, chesty girl Violet wasn’t familiar with invited herself to their table. “Your friend… She was the redhead who died fighting the Armada? I’m sorry I didn’t get to know her better. She was almost as beautiful as she was brave.” The girl introduced herself as Shelby DeGallow and proceeded to tell Violet that her boyfriend had lost a friend aboard the Elpis as well: “Tamati’s barely said a word about Wally—or anything else about his world. I’m worried about him keeping everything inside.” Once Violet mentioned Jakob, and how he had helped her through Eve’s death, Shelby’s eyes lit up. “We need to go out,” Shelby said. “You and your boyfriend with me and mine.”

Tamati, meanwhile, found himself facing his weekly appointment with Doctor Yavorshak, the school therapist. All of the refugees had been seeing her all summer. Tamati was one of the ones adapting well to the new environment, but he still resisted the woman’s trying to pry anything about his home world out of him.

For Jack, the day found him and Ellen nestled in a couch in the common room, looking over the course catalogue. “French?” she asked, seeing what he was taking. “I could tutor you!” A sly smile spread across her face. “I’ll help you put that tongue to good use.” As they flipped through the book, the couple opted to take a few classes together: at Jack’s suggestion, they both enrolled in Mister Knight’s Drawing class, while Ellen elected they take Civics under one of the new teachers—Mister Hammond.

They weren’t the only ones looking over the class list: as Dennis plotted his course load, a new student sat down across from him. She was a pretty girl with long, blonde hair and violet eyes—likely a trick of her contacts. Her svelte body was stuffed into what looked like a uniform from a Catholic school: a white dress shirt and tie that matched her plaid skirt. “What are you taking?” she asked. When Dennis showed her, she immediately signed up for the same classes. “I’m supposed to stay close to you,” she said. “Our mutual friend insisted on it.” The girl reached out to shake his hand. “I’m Robyn. Robyn Goodfellow.

“The Aurelius sent me.”

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

NVAE, WRECK ROOM (Dennis, Jack, Kas, Lex, Martin, Otso, Tamati, Violet; NPCs: Abe, Adam N., Adam R., Agnes, Annaliese, Anne, Armande, Ashworth, Astrid, Bacon, Barney, Beatrice, Benedikt, Benson, Bianca, Billy, Bottom, Buddy, Carmichael, Cassidy, Catargi, David, Derryl-333, Derryl-731, Doug, Ellen, Finn, Fiore, Fischer, Fitzroy, Greg, Graves, Grigorescu, Heidi, Herta, Helen, Ilena, Iosef, J.R., Jamal, Javier, Johnny, Kelly, Katz, Kira, Kirstie, Knight, Kubichek, Larrikin, Lena, Lexus, Logan, Lydia, Lucia, Manuel, Mario, Matthew, Melissa, Mickie, Mike, Mouloud, L. Murphy, R. Murphy, Napoleon, Natasha, Nate, Newton, Nicole, Patrick, Pirjo, Rebecca, Regina, Remington, Robyn, Rory, Rose, Royce, Rusty, Sarah, Shelby, E. Sonck, G. Sonck, Steven, Tatjana, Tina, Vlad, Wendy)
The entire teaching staff, senior class, junior class, and freshman class was gathered in the Wreck Room, seated in stands that overlooked a lush jungle, where the administrators stood.

“Welcome to another year at the New Vindicators Academy of Europe,” Doctor Fischer announced. “There are several new faces this year, who may not be accustomed to one of this school’s traditions…”

“Every year,” Newton said, “the sophomore class competes against each other in something called the Sophomore Blitz. In years past, this event has taken numerous forms: capture the flag, king of the hill, a race, a battle royal…”

“While the objective may change,” said Fischer, “the goal remains the same: to demonstrate what they have learned over the course of their first year here.”

“Many of the twenty-seven members of the sophomore class are new students,” Newton said, “so it may seem like the purpose is defeated. However, we’re confident in these bright young men and women.”

The two turned and the doors opened, allowing them to come into the room. Napoleon was the first through, with one of the Derryl Isaacsons behind him; then came Tamati and Shelby, along with Violet and Rose. Dennis walked alongside the other Derryl, while Kelly flew past Heidi, who pushed Jamal’s wheelchair. Doug and Nicole came out hand-in-hand, followed by Cassidy and Melissa. The others--Lena, Mickie, Regina, Astrid, Mouloud, Agnes, Finn, Herta, Mike, Sarah, and Steven—funneled out at their own pace.

“In an effort to keep the teams even,” Fischer explained, “two students have been excused.” Mouloud stepped forward and took the handles of Jamal’s wheelchair, helping him to the stands where the rest of the school watched. “That leaves us with twenty-five students—enough for five teams of five.”

“It’s customary to choose the students who have shown the most growth over the year to select a team to lead,” Newton said. “While we could not be any prouder of all of these young people, the five who have shown the most growth are…”

The administrators turned to a screen and watched as five images appeared on the screen: Violet Lear, Rose Caspian, Herta Radikovich, Beatrice Marceau, and Astrid Tiel would be the leaders.

The five girls came forward and drew straws to determine the order in which they would choose their team. Violet drew the longest straw. Looking over the rest of her class, she settled on the illusionist: “Dennis,” she said, waving for him to come join her team.

Astrid had the next choice. She hadn’t fought beside many of them. Magnitude and the Volunteers, yes, but none of them were members of the sophomore class. After some hesitation, she made her decision: “Mike.”

The next choice went to Herta: “Tamati,” she said, choosing the boy she’d fought beside aboard the Elpis. Of the remaining choices, he was the one she was most impressed with.

“Shelby,” Rose said without hesitation. She didn’t know her well, but knew what she was capable of.

Beatrice had the last pick of the round. “Doug,” she said, evoking some whispers from the crowd. The boy who could turn into an anthropomorphic quail was clearly not someone anyone suspected to be a first round pick.

When it went back to Violet, she zeroed in on the mother of the group. “Sarah,” she said.

The redhead bounded forward as Astrid called Finn. Sarah slipped her arms around Violet and hugged her. “I thought I was going to be last,” she happily confessed as Herta picked Mickie.

“Derryl,” Rose said.

The two Derryls looked at each other. “Which one?” one of them asked.

“Which ever one went to fight the Armada.”

One of the Derryls nodded and walked forward, making it Beatrice’s pick again. “Nicole,” she said, choosing Doug’s girlfriend and puzzling the crowd once more.

“I’ll take the other Derryl,” Violet said.

Astrid hesitated, looking over what was left. “Lena,” she said, picking one of the only other students she knew.

“Regina,” Herta said.

Rose made a face. “Kelly,” she decided.

Beatrice wasted no time in baffling everyone once more: “Steven.”

Violet looked over who was left: Agnes, Cassidy, Heidi, Melissa, and Napoleon. “Heidi,” she said.

As the American sprinted to join her team, a swear went up from Cassidy. “You’re shitting me! Her!?!”

Astrid called Agnes—the only other one she really knew—to her side.

“Napoleon,” Herta said.

Rose smirked at the thought of making Cassidy Hammond the last pick. “Melissa,” she announced.

Before Beatrice could call Cassidy’s name, the girl made her way over.

TEAM VIOLET (Dennis and Violet; NPCs: Derryl-731, Heidi, Sarah)
"So, anyone know how this thing works?" Heidi asked.

Sarah was the only one of them who had witnessed last year's Blitz. "Well, last year, it was just two teams, and they were pitted against each other. Jack threatened to rip my cousin's throat out and made the others stand down.

"Maybe we're all fighting Jack? I heard he can clone himself."

TEAM ASTRID (NPCs: Agnes, Astrid, Finn, Lena, Mike)
"You mind explaining what the hell you were thinking picking us?" Mike asked Astrid.

Astrid grinned at him. "I know you. All of you."

"That's what you...?" Finn was shaking his head at her. "You realize we're gonna come in last, right?"

TEAM HERTA (Tamati; NPCs: Herta, Mickie, Napoleon, Regina)
"Before this gets started," Herta said, looking to Tamati, "I'm curious about something: change into your water form and wrap around me. I wanna see how much your weight slows me down. If it's not much, I might be able to shuttle you into the action faster. Likewise, Napoleon?"

"Oui?"

"Can you run while carrying Mickie or Regina? Not when they've transformed, of course, but..."

"Quelle?"

"&$#&. Anyone speak French?"

TEAM ROSE (NPCs: Derryl-333, Kelly, Melissa, Rose, Shelby)
"Alright, Shelby... You're pretty much indestructible, right? And you make someone indestructible? When this kicks off, buddy up with Derryl. You'll protect him and you won't be hurt by his power-"

"Well, unless it's energy."

"What?"

Shelby shrugged. "I'm only impervious to physical harm."

TEAM BEATRICE (NPCs: Beatrice, Cassidy, Doug, Nicole, Steven)
"I can't believe you picked me after them!" railed Cassidy. "Hell, that kid doesn't even have any powers!"

"Blow me, speeb," Steven growled.

"What the hell were you thinking!?!" Cassidy stormed.

"I was zinking zat zey would be picked last," Beatrice explained. "I wanted zem to not feel bad."

"That's it!?! That's your master plan? What the hell do you think they're going to contribute!?!"

"Nozing."

"Nothing!?! Then what's the hell do you pick us for?"

Beatrice smirked at the American and began to limber up.
I told Shock the circumstances and already went back and forth over the list, letting him pick, then eliminating four, then letting him pick... You get the idea. Mostly, I was just trying to spare you all a series of posts of us doing this, so that we can get right into it. Before I launch into the main event, everyone can go ahead and take a second to talk and/or coordinate. Violet, Dennis, and Tamati can go ahead and give me initiative too, just to have that all out of the way.

Jack, Kas, Lex, Martin, and Otso are up in the stands with whatever NPCs from the school they want, should you all feel like talking about what's unfolding below.
NVAE Setting - VP: 5
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Magnitude
Kasimir Flaegler
HP 2

Kas scanned the students below and frowned slightly. He had missed last year's Sophmore Blitz, so he had no experience with it, never mind the fact his powers manifested somewhat late and he'd entered the Academy as a Junior. A big believer in team building, he could certainly see the point in the exercise, but he couldn't see any advantage in allowing the cadets to choose their own teams. This meant several teams were seemingly designed to lose. Neither Astrid nor Beatrice seemed to have chosen anyone in the least bit competitive in a physical contest. Herta went for pure firepower, but he couldn't see Napoleon following orders unless he'd changed dramatically since Kas met him. Herta was a genius with fine observational skills...she should know better. Napoleon would work well with Rose or Violet. Both were kind of saucy and a rogue like the young aristocrat could easily be manipulated them. Kas didn't know enough about the majority of them. The aqueous Neo-Sapien...T...Ta...the aqueous refugee handled himself well against the Armada, so he'd be a boon to any team.

Still, it seemed so...random.

"Und exactly what is the point uf this?" Kas asks of no one in particular.
Last edited by Horsenhero on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Martin does make a point to share a nod with Jack before finding his seat next to Tatjana. The events of their own Blitz so long ago not forgotten... per se... but given that he had the memories of staying up late talking with Jack on long night's in the Armada - each boy the others' refuge and link to 'home' - added perspective to the aftermath of their Blitz.

He absently wondered if Lex would even be in attendance. The speed-gifted American made his thoughts concerning this 'barbaric' practice clear numerous times.

He'll also make a point to finding Otso. "Beatrice looks confident. Good luck!" he'll say. This was before her picks, of course. Now he just wondered what his fellow French citizen had in mind.

Martin sat close to the 'arena' where he could quickly get down into the combatant's area case of serious injury. He might also have a better chance to keep track of the action through the jungle foliage.

He'll take Tatjana's hand and assure her that her cousin will do well. He'll also share a bit of tenderness with her over the way they two had met and fallen in love.

He looked forward to the event with a mix of fascination, eagerness, and trepidation. Specifically, he hadn't heard that Dennis had revealed his new abilities as a Conjurer. He was curious if they'd come in to play today. He was also curious to see how an iron chain suddenly coming into being could be of benefit. Martin could think of a few situations. We'll see.
EnigmaticOne

Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #25 - Jeopardy! (M&M 2E - IC)

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Imago
HP: 6
Michuru wrote:They weren’t the only ones looking over the class list: as Dennis plotted his course load, a new student sat down across from him. She was a pretty girl with long, blonde hair and violet eyes—likely a trick of her contacts. Her svelte body was stuffed into what looked like a uniform from a Catholic school: a white dress shirt and tie that matched her plaid skirt. “What are you taking?” she asked. When Dennis showed her, she immediately signed up for the same classes. “I’m supposed to stay close to you,” she said. “Our mutual friend insisted on it.” The girl reached out to shake his hand. “I’m Robyn. Robyn Goodfellow.

“The Aurelius sent me.”
Dennis raised an eyebrow. As someone who'd extensively devoured Shakespeare, he knew that name. "A rather puckish lady then?" Dennis inquired while shaking her hand.
Michuru wrote:TEAM VIOLET (Dennis and Violet; NPCs: Derryl-731, Heidi, Sarah)
"So, anyone know how this thing works?" Heidi asked.

Sarah was the only one of them who had witnessed last year's Blitz. "Well, last year, it was just two teams, and they were pitted against each other. Jack threatened to rip my cousin's throat out and made the others stand down.

"Maybe we're all fighting Jack? I heard he can clone himself."
"He doesn't generally do that." Imago simply said. He knew well what had happened to Jack, or the Chimera-Jack anyway, whom had pushed this too far. "Given how lopsided the teams are, I'd think the teachers have something in mind other than a straight up fight."
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Shock

Post by Shock »

Violet Lear
HP: 9

Violet shrugged. "I'm sure they had to program the Wreck Room for the Blitz well in advance and they couldn't possibly have known how the teams would be chosen." She felt confident since their team training sessions in the spring had gone well. Sure the teams were different but she though she'd chosen well and her teammates were capable and flexible. "But since last year's Blitz was a team fight, I don't think they're going to do the same thing this time."

"I do have a question. Derryl, I was hoping that your powers would be able to complement or enhance Sarah's. Have you ever done anything to combine powers with someone else before?"
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Alex "Current" Murphy
HP: 6 CND: Normal

"In theory? Supposed to show off skills and build up experience," Lex all but growled, never really taking his eyes off the stage, "But in practice it just causes conflict for no-" His eyes dart to the side where his Dad is sitting, "damn reason."

Looking like a caged tiger he mutters to himself as he watches the proceedings.

He had no intention of going but his father had overruled him on that.

"Your brother and Doug are going to be in this and you're going to support them," He had said.

He really hadn't appreciated Lex's suggestion that they just rescue them instead, and go for ice cream. So now he was stuck with no way out.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Magnitude
Kasimir Flaegler
HP 2

Kasimir jumped a little when Lex answered his question. Except for moments of crisis, he and Lex rarely spoke. It wasn't surprising really, they had few shared interests and few shared friends...even in a school this small. Still, Lex had taken part in his Sophmore Blitz, so he was more familiar with the dynamics than Kas was. From Lex's reaction Kas could only assume last years' contest had gone poorly.

Nodding thoughtfully, Kas replied; "Mein sisters just manifested their powers, und while Gitta is older than I, und is attending university, Gudrun will be 15 next year und likely will be attending school at one of the academies. I haf no experience with this school tradition, so if I am to provide any guidance, I guess I must pay attention."

Absently, he stroked the scar on his neck...a reminder (along with his blindness) of the day his powers manifested.

"I must admit, I am baffled as to what kind of challenge could be set forth that all these teams could compete in at anywhere close to equal footing. Two teams are completely devoid uf any combat firepower und any challenge uf sheer intellect favors Herta...assuming her ego does not cause issues."

Then a thought came to him and he chuckled. "Perhaps it will be an Iron Chef type competition or a Baccarat tournament. Even your broder would be on even footing then. Napoleon would certainly be a disadvantage. I'm not sure his grace knows what a kitchen even looks like."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Alex "Current" Murphy
HP: 6 CND: Normal
Horsenhero wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:31 am "I must admit, I am baffled as to what kind of challenge could be set forth that all these teams could compete in at anywhere close to equal footing. Two teams are completely devoid uf any combat firepower und any challenge uf sheer intellect favors Herta...assuming her ego does not cause issues."
"I don't think that's possible," Lex says flatly.

He sighs, "If they're smart it's going to be a PVE event, with multiple tasks and goals. One fighting, one rescue, one search, obstacle course, one battle, ya know?"

"If they're not, this is going to be a one sided slug fest that's going to end badly."

Horsenhero wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:31 am"Perhaps it will be an Iron Chef type competition or a Baccarat tournament. Even your broder would be on even footing then. Napoleon would certainly be a disadvantage. I'm not sure his grace knows what a kitchen even looks like."
"Doubt it. Nappy's the flambe king."

He makes a face, "Wait, why is Steven in this? Did his powers kick in while we were dead?"
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Magnitude
Kasimir Flaegler
HP 2

"Wait, why is Steven in this thing? Did his powers kick in while we were dead?"
Kas shook his head. "Nein. Or at least not that I am aware uf, but in all honesty given the team Beatrice chose, he is just as capable as any uf his teammates in most circumstances. Neither she, nor Astrid made choices that make much sense from a tactical perspective."

Kas wished he'd spent the last few days getting to know more of the new students, but he had classwork he missed from last year to make up for, plus this semester's assignments, plus working with the Volunteers...which was proving to be tense. Juozas wanted to take more of a leadership role and Kas wanted to step aside for him, but he hadn't been able to convince the powers that be to spring for any sort of transport for them, so he had to remain part of the team. Lexus and Juozas had reminded him no less than five times that the Vindicators were thinking of poaching him, though nobody from the Vindicators side of the equation had mentioned it even once and two of his instructors, Mr. Ashworth and Mr. Carmichael were active Vindicators. On top of that, he hadn't had a chance to speak with Jack or Otso since the tower bombing and he really wanted one...or both...on the Volunteers. Hell, he hadn't even had a chance to speak with his own mother about getting Gudrun enrolled, at the Tokyo Academy preferably or whether Gitta was handling her late-blooming powers well.

Then there was Rusty. Rusty was determined to cause problems. He wanted to be part of the team...in order to show up his older brother was Kas's guess. Unfortunately, the younger Greek had a talent for criticizing without offering different solutions. He was bad for morale and Kas was tempted more than once to just chuck him in the Danube to teach him a lesson in...not irritating the team founder.

Turning his attention back to the teams below, Kas shrugged. "It looks like Astrid chose her team based on whether she knows und likes them und Beatrice...Beatrice seems to haf chosen those nobody was apt to choose unless there was no other option."

"I suppose it makes sense given their history. Astrid lived on the streets und had few friends. To her friendship is worth far more than power. Beatrice was pretty much ignored until Jack's father und Herta tried to kill her family. She got involved with Otso und proved her worth during the hunt for the Armada's scout ships, fruitless though that was. Prior to that though, she was just the girl that everyone overlooked. She wants her team to know they matter...or that would be my guess."

Kas couldn't quite identify why, but suddenly he felt very proud of both Astrid and Beatrice. Their teams were undoubtedly doomed in the upcoming challenges but he felt proud of them regardless.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Greystone:
[Jack Rexroth]
HP: 2

For Jack, the day found him and Ellen nestled in a couch in the common room, looking over the course catalogue. “French?” she asked, seeing what he was taking. “I could tutor you!” A sly smile spread across her face. “I’ll help you put that tongue to good use.”

Jack smiled at Ellen’s offer to “tutor” him. “I don’t think Zlatkovski would care for me to use that kind of French in her class, but I’ll take you up on that offer.”

As they flipped through the book, the couple opted to take a few classes together: at Jack’s suggestion, they both enrolled in Mister Knight’s Drawing class, while Ellen elected they take Civics under one of the new teachers—Mister Hammond.
Jack was glad Ellen was taking some classes with him, it’d give him someone he knew in some of them at least. Though he’d already been thinking about taking the Civics class as it was, he figured it’d be a good idea to let Ellen think it was her idea. If his plans for after his graduation were going to come together then he needed to expand his education further than he’d done last year.

The entire teaching staff, senior class, junior class, and freshman class was gathered in the Wreck Room, seated in stands that overlooked a lush jungle, where the administrators stood.
Jack watched as the Sophomores walked in. It was hard for him to believe it’d been over a year since he first came here, he’d gone through a lot of changes personally in that time and for the most part they were all good ones. He gave Ellen’s hand a gentle squeeze with that thought, proof of his point.

He noticed when Martin came in with Tatjana, things felt odd between them now. Jack had very fresh memories of the talks he had with Mart, and in his mind it was difficult to separate the two. He felt like they were good friends now when in truth they were little more than acquaintances, and it was something he wanted to change. Jack smirked as he thought how this time last year he was more irritated with the French teen after their talk that followed the Blitz were the two strongly disagreed on how problems should be handled.

Then there was the nod, which was returned. Jack knew Martin had seen it as the pair had locked eyes for the briefest of moments. Things were different between them now than how they had been before, Jack just needed to reach out more.

Interestingly enough, it was around that point that the American saw Kas take a seat. Another person Jack wanted to talk with since there hadn’t been much of a chance in the aftermath of Count Down’s last attack. Kas had been so wiped out from supporting the building with his powers and the beginning of the school year that the two hadn’t been able to talk. Jack decided that now was likely the best chance. So with Ellen in tow, Jack made his way towards the German teen and took a seat next to him while he talked with Alex and waited for a moment to interject into their conversation.
"I suppose it makes sense given their history. Astrid lived on the streets und had few friends. To her friendship is worth far more than power. Beatrice was pretty much ignored until Jack's father und Herta tried to kill her family. She got involved with Otso und proved her worth during the hunt for the Armada's scout ships, fruitless though that was. Prior to that though, she was just the girl that everyone overlooked. She wants her team to know they matter...or that would be my guess."
“Or she’s got something in mind.” Jack added. “Way I hear it, Beatrice changed while Otso was gone. I’d say it’s a safe bet just because he’s back now doesn’t mean she’s going back to being the gal she was.”
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

Ursa
HP: 6
Cnd: Fine

Michuru wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:10 pmWendy slipped away, as did Lena and Kelly. As the Otso and Beatrice brought up the rear, the French girl hugged his arm. "Wanna try to sneak into my room," she whispered, clearly trying to take his mind off this, "or should I try to sneak into yours?"
Otso gave a wry smile. "I think I still owe you that debriefing."

Otso was beaming with pride as Beatrice was picked to lead a team. "She's come a long way." He waved happily to Martin in thanks. Like Kas he'd joined the school after the previous Sophomore Blitz so he only had what the others had told him to go on. But unlike the Austrian youth he had plans other than to watch the contest.

He kept his eyes on Beatrice as he sat down next to Jack, speaking in a low voice. "Hey Jack. I could really use your help with something. Got into a spot of trouble that can't spread around too high up." Otso thought back to the second phone he was now carrying after recovering his own. 3 had been quiet for the past week, but Otso had been on edge, wondering when he'd zero in on him. When he'd go after Beatrice.
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Tamati "Taheka" Stevens
HP: 1
Condition: Normal

Tamati, meanwhile, found himself facing his weekly appointment with Doctor Yavorshak, the school therapist. All of the refugees had been seeing her all summer. Tamati was one of the ones adapting well to the new environment, but he still resisted the woman’s trying to pry anything about his home world out of him.
Jogging round the field Tamati wasn't the fastest but he still ate up the kilometers, after a session with the Doctor he found going for a jog was the best way for him to unwind rather than wander round with a fake smile plastered on his face. While he thought the Doctor was trying to help or thought she was helping he still found it intrusive, why didn't anyone believe it when he said he was okay, no he wasn't having nightmares or strange dreams.

Although he was sure the Doctor did suspect he was avoiding the subject when he tried to claim spoilers because he came from the future or started to speak in Maori cause English wasn't his native language and he wasn't quite sure what the right words were. Well there was one advantage to being the only person from his world here, no one else could say that Maori wasn't the official language in New Zealand.
"Before this gets started," Herta said, looking to Tamati, "I'm curious about something: change into your water form and wrap around me. I wanna see how much your weight slows me down. If it's not much, I might be able to shuttle you into the action faster. Likewise, Napoleon?"

"Oui?"

"Can you run while carrying Mickie or Regina? Not when they've transformed, of course, but..."

"Quelle?"

"&$#&. Anyone speak French?"
Initially not sure to expect when he first entered the wreck room Tamati stated to smile as the Headmaster explained what was going on and he smiled even more when he was selected first by Herta. He still felt guilty that he had assumed that she had fled from the battle when Prodigy and Ogre (no more Jason or Adele) tuned on them back on the ship. After learning that Herta had kept trying to stop Prodigy's plan he didn't know what to say especially after he had given up, he now owed Herta and owed utu to Prodigy and Ogre.

"We had something similar at my school, we ended up fighting a giant robot tank and the School screened it all on pay per view." Tamati added before giving Herta a strange look, he had never considered doing what she had suggested .

"Don't know if this will work Herta but here goes.." changing into his watery form Tamati formed himself round Herta's smaller body, it was different and he could feel Herta inside him as though she was tickling him on the inside.

"Opps sorry forgot you may want to breathe" Tamati remembered at the last moment to not enclose Herta's face.

Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Martin couldn't help but hear Kas's tactical and psychological assessment of team selection.

He scowls as he explores his own thoughts regarding them. He leans in to Tatjana and speaks low. "I worry zat a reason Beatrice chose a team as she did was to showcase 'er own abilities irregardless of zose she 'as around 'er. Using zis as an opportunity to show she needs no one. To emphasize 'er personal capabilities. I 'ope I am mistaken."
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

THE STANDS (Non-Sophomores)
Sitting beside Ellen in the stands, Jack watched as Martin entered, hand-in-hand with Tatjana. Martin paused slightly, nodding to Jack. Suddenly, he was taken back to the eighteen months that never were—a year and a half where he had lived with Martin in his head—a French Jiminy Cricket. Even after that odd-dressed boy had somehow healed his fractured mind, Jack struggled at times to separate his memories. There was the Martin who had irritated him this time last year and Mart, who had become a good friend on Pandora and the Elpis. He remembered all the times they had disagreed on how problems should be handled and he remembered all the times Mart had kept him sane.

Part of Jack felt like they were good friends and yet little more than acquaintances. It was something he wanted to change.

Returning Martin’s nod, Jack watched as the youth sat in the front row. Then his attention shifted to Kas slipping in—taking the empty seat not far from him. Kas was another person Jack wanted to talk with, since there hadn’t been much of a chance in the aftermath of Count Down’s latest attack. Kas had looked so wiped out from supporting the building with his powers. There hadn’t been much time to talk in the days since Kas’ miraculous return, but now was the best chance.

Giving Ellen’s hand a squeeze, Jack nodded towards the empty seats besides Kas and Ellen nodded. The two rose up and moved. As they made their way over, Jack saw Lex and Kirstie sit down behind Kas. Had it not been for Lex’s dad sitting behind him, he might have reconsidered. More so than that, Jack watched Nate sit with Roger.

Jack’s eyes read the emotions of the Murphy clan. Lex seemed agitated. Kirstie was happy. Roger was beaming with pride. Nate’s aura showed he was sad. It wasn’t hard to determine why: his eyes were on Kubichek, sitting as far away from him as she could. Jack remembered the couple from the Elpis. He remembered the day they came aboard. Unlike most, they had not been recruited from Pandora; rather, they were from a dimension the Armada raided. Nate had been part of the army that raided the ship—the army the Armada slaughtered. Nate surrendered—begged them for mercy. He told them he had a son. That he just wanted to go home. Locus laughed in his face—told him it wouldn’t matter if he lived or not, considering what the ship would do to Nate’s world. That’s when Nate asked to join them—to spare his girlfriend and son.

It didn’t look to Jack like Kubichek had ever forgiven Nate for saving them.

Jack and Ellen sat in front of Lex and Kirstie. As he turned to talk to Kas, Otso sat down behind Kas and leaned down to talk to Jack. “Hey, I could really use your help with something.” He dropped his voice to a whisper. “Got into a spot of trouble that can’t spread around too high up.”

Jack nodded to the Finnish teen, making a mental note to meet with him later.

“Und exactly what is the point uf this?” Kas asked no one in particular.

“In theory?” Lex answered. “Supposed to show off skills and build up experience, but in practice, it just causes conflict for no…” He trailed off as he looked over his shoulder to his father. “…damn reason.”

Kas nodded thoughtfully. “Mein sisters just manifested their powers, und while Gitta is older than I, und is attending university, Gudrun will be 15 next year und likely will be attending school at one of the academies. I haf no experience with this school tradition, so if I am to provide any guidance, I guess I must pay attention.

“I must admit, I am baffled as to what kind of challenge could be set forth that all these teams could compete in at anywhere close to equal footing. Two teams are completely devoid uf any combat firepower und any challenge uf sheer intellect favors Herta… assuming her ego does not cause issues.”

“I don’t think that’s possible,” Lex said flatly.

Still, Jack realized that Kas had a point. The revelation that Herta was Eru—Tabitha’s daughter meant that she very well could possess something akin to Jason’s level of intellect.

“If they’re smart it’s going to be a PVE event, with multiple tasks and goals,” Lex theorized. “One fighting, one rescue, one search, one obstacle course, one battle… y’know?” A sigh escaped his lips. “If they’re not, this is going to be a one-sided slug fest that’s going to end badly.”

Kas chuckled. “Perhaps it will be an Iron Chef type competition or a Baccarat tournament. Even your broder would be on even footing then. Napoleon would certainly be at a disadvantage. I’m not sure his grade even knows what a kitchen even looks like.”

“Doubt it,” Lex said, “Nappy’s the flambe king.

“Wait, why is Steven in this? Did his powers kick in while we were dead?”

“Nope,” answered his father from two rows back. “There was actually a meeting. Newton and Fisher wanted Steven to understand that he wasn’t being excluded for personal reasons. Steven said he didn’t want to be excluded. Your mother tried to argue why he shouldn’t be allowed in, but Steven said this was something he had to do.

“You ask me, Steven didn’t want to look weak to the school. He’s spent nearly a year running his mouth. How would he look if he just bowed out of this because he didn’t have any powers?”

“In all honesty,” Kas said, “given the team Beatrice chose, he is just as capable as any uf his teammates in most circumstances. Neither she, nor Astrid, made choices that make much sense from a tactical perspective.” Kas shrugged. “It looks like Astrid chose her team based on whether she knows und likes them, und Beatrice… Beatrice seems to haf chosen those nobody was apt to choose unless there was no other option.

“I suppose it makes sense given their history. Astrid lived on the streets und had few friends. To her, friendship is worth far more than power. Beatrice was pretty much ignored until Jack’s father und Herta tried to kill her family. She got involved with Otso, und proved her worth during the hunt for the Armada’s scout ships—fruitless though that was. Prior to that though, she was just the girl everyone overlooked. She wants her team to know that matter… or that would be my guess.”

Jack grinned. Looking at her, he knew what she had up her sleeve. It had taken him by surprise when she entered the Wreck Room. He had been so absorbed in Ellen that he hadn’t seen her since returning to Vienna, but there it was. He wasn’t sure when or how it happened, but he imagined it was going to give her an edge that almost no one else here had.

No one but Dennis…

“Or she’s got something in mind,” Jack said, smirking. “Way I hear it, Beatrice changed while Otso was gone.” He looked back to Otso. The Finnish teen’s face gave nothing away. Did he not know? Had she not told him that she…? “I’d say it’s a safe bet just because he’s back now doesn’t mean she’s going back to being the gal she was.”

THE WRECK ROOM (All)
“Without further ado,” Fischer said, “this year’s Sophomore Blitz will be a race to see which team can bring down a single opponent first, and with the fewest casualties.”

Each team took their place and walls went up between them.

The ground shook as something in the distance stomped. Each of the slow, plodding footsteps shook the foliage in the distance. Then, the leaves parted, revealing the giant, feathered muzzle easily twelve feet over the ground.

Soon, the rest of it broke through. There was no mistaking that head or the tiny arms. Everyone here recognized the massive, lumbering legs the creature walked on, and the tail that brushed the trees behind it.

Before each of the five teams stood a roaring tyrannosaurus rex.

TEAM VIOLET (Dennis and Violet; NPCs: Derryl-731, Heidi, Sarah)
“Maybe we’re all fighting Jack? I heard he can clone himself.”

“He doesn’t generally do that,” Dennis said. “Given how lopsided the teams are, I’d think the teachers have something in mind other than a straight up fight.”

Violet shrugged. “I’m sure they had to program the Wreck Room for the Blitz well in advance and they couldn’t possible have known how the teams would be chosen, but since last year’s Blitz was a team fight, I don’t think they’re going to do the same thing this time.

“I do have a question, Derryl. I was hoping that your powers would be able to complement or enhance Sarah’s. Have you ever done anything to combine powers with someone else before?”

Derryl shook his head. “No, but I think I get the mechanics of it. The key would be knowing what she’s going to do. I mean, if she’s planning to unleash a scream to shatter everything, it won’t do for me to be in a lower octave, you know?”

“Huh?” asked a baffled Heidi.

“We need to be doing the same thing,” Derryl said.

“Without further ado,” came Doctor Fischer’s voice over the loud speakers, “this year’s Sophomore Blitz will be a race to see which team can bring down a single opponent first, and with the fewest casualties.”

Soon, a tyrannosaurus rex appeared before them and let loose a roar.
Map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/siqwif80uq1bu ... 2.jpg?dl=0
Everyone will begin behind the red line. The T-Rex is centered at E4 and occupies a 15’ x 15’ area.

The Order – Round One
  • Dennis (20)
  • Derryl (20)
  • T-Rex (14 – E4)
  • Heidi (5)
  • Sarah (1)
Holding for Violet’s Initiative.
TEAM ASTRID (NPCs: Agnes, Astrid, Finn, Lena, Mike)
Finn took one look at the dinosaur, then looked to his team. “Well, we’re boned,” he said. “So, concede? That’s a viable tactic, right?”

“I’ve got this,” Mike said as he began walking forward, humming Puff the Magic Dragon. As the dinosaur charged for him, Mike stood his ground, trusting that the song would control the beast. Once it was within reach, the dinosaur moved to chomp down on Mike. The Frenchman jumped back, grazed by the creature’s snout.
Everyone will begin behind the red line. The T-Rex is centered at E4 and occupies a 15’ x 15’ area.

The Order – Round One
  • Astrid (26)
  • Finn (18)
  • Lena (17)
  • Troubadour (17 – E13): Bruised, Stunned (R1)
  • Agnes (13)
  • T-Rex (3 – E10)
Astrid, Finn, and Lena will do nothing.

Mike will walk out to E-13 and do his thing: Troubadour - Mind Control: 1d20+8 11 Mike’s boned. T-Rex - Will - DC 11: 1d20+8 17

Agnes will do nothing.

The T-Rex will charge and bite Mike. T-Rex - Attack: 1d20+12 14 & Troubadour - Toughness - DC 25: 1d20+2 20 Mike will live to fight again.
“We had something similar at my school,” Tamati said. “We ended up fighting a giant robot tank and the school screened it all on pay-per-view.”

Mickie raised an eyebrow at that. Regina looked to Herta to explain. “Really?” she asked.

“Hell if I know,” Herta said. “One year ago, you all were back in your own dimension and I part of a $&#^ing terrorist cell.” That only drew even more odd looks from her teammates. Herta figured it was widely circulated gossip around the school. The newest additions were bound to hear about her connection to Laputa eventually.

“Before this gets started,” she said, looking to Tamati, “I’m curious about something: change into your water form and wrap around me. I wanna see how much your weight slows me down. If it’s not much, I might be able to shuttle you into the action faster. Likewise, Napoleon?”

“Oui?”

“Can you run while carrying Mickie or Regina? Not when they’ve transformed, of course, but…”

“Quelle?”

“&$#&. Anyone speak French?”

The others shook their heads, forcing Herta to resort to charades. She pointed to Napoleon, then to Regina. She mimed carrying her, then jogged in place.

Napoleon flashed a confused look to Regina.

The dark-haired girl sighed and stepped up closer to him. She slipped her arms around his neck and Napoleon leaned in to kiss her—an advance Regina quickly pushed away. “Vous devriez considérer que c'est un honneur que je considère comme un baiser, votre vache!” Napoleon snapped.

“Okay, His Royal $&@# is a lost cause.” Herta looked to Tamati. “You’re turn, Kiwi.”

“Don’t know if this will work, Herta, but here goes…” Changing into his water form, Tamati formed himself round Herta’s smaller body. It was different and he could feel Herta inside him as though she was tickling him on the inside. “Oops! Sorry, forgot you may want to breathe.” He slipped away from her face.

“No problem,” Herta said. “I’ve had worse.” She worked her arms and then her legs as if testing how it felt to move with another person encapsulating her. “It’s a bit heavier than I thought, but…” She took off at a run around the Wreck Room, stopping by her group. She was nowhere near her top speed, but still managed to break the sound barrier with Tamati coating her. “You’re slowing me down,” she said, “but it’s not bad. I can definitely move with you around me. We need to keep this in mind, Tamati. I could get you into position pretty fast… so long as Shelby doesn’t mind.”

She flashed the boy a smile. It was the first time he, or any of the others gathered here, had ever seen her do that. “If you’re okay with staying like this, I am. It’ll up our reaction time. If you’re not comfortable, though…”

Before he could decide whether or not to stay bonded to her, Doctor Fisher announced the start of the exercise. The group watched as a tyrannosaurus rex broke through the trees and roared at them.

A klaxon sounded and Herta was off like a shot; Napoleon was hot on her heels.

The Order – Round One
  • Herta (54 – D7)
  • Napoleon (40 – F7)
  • Mickie (18)
  • Tamati (9)
  • T-Rex (7 – E4)
  • Regina (5)
Herta will move an attack: Tantivy - Attack: 1d20+8 27 & T-Rex - Toughness - DC 23: 1d20+14 28

Napoleon will do the same: Napoleon IX - Attack: 1d20 10 And miss.

Mickie will hold her action to Regina’s.

Tamati is up.
TEAM ROSE (NPCs: Derryl-333, Kelly, Melissa, Rose, Shelby)
At the sight of the dinosaur, Rose immediately leapt into action. She ran out into the closest bush. There, she threw out her arms and commanded the trees and bushes littering the field to grab at the creature. They grabbed for it, but as it lumbered forward, they grabbed feebly at the air.

Shelby took off, trying to get as far from the others as she could. She unleashed a scream--a scream which appeared to win her the ire of the dinosaur. As it chomped futilely at her, Derryl took off at a run, moving to help her.
Everyone will begin behind the red line. The T-Rex is centered at E-4 and occupies a 15’ x 15’ area.

The Order – Round One
  • Rose (17 – C13)
  • Shelby (15 – J4)
  • T-Rex (7): Bruised
  • Melissa (6)
  • Derryl (6 – J7)
  • Kelly (4)
Rose will move into a bush and try to snare the dinosaur. Thorn - Attack: 1d20+6 13 That’s a miss.

Shelby will run up and scream, hitting only the dinosaur. So… hear me out here: sonic area burst, right? Reflex save to halve the damage. In my head, the way a character would do that is by covering their ears. A T-rex can’t exactly do that, so… I’m going to forgo the reflex save. T-Rex - Toughness - DC 23: 1d20+14 19 Bruised.

The t-rex will turn to attack Shelby. T-Rex - Attack: 1d20+12 14 That’s a hit. Shelby’s impervious ignores that damage.

Melissa will do nothing.

Derryl will double move and move to help Shelby’s sonic attacks.

Kelly’s doing nothing.
TEAM BEATRICE (NPCs: Beatrice, Cassidy, Doug, Nicole, Steven)
Doug nearly choked at the sight of the dinosaur. “Okay,” he said, looking to Beatrice, “what’s the plan?”

“Stand back,” she said as she swept her arms out to the sides. On both hands she crossed her middle and ring fingers, then rotated her shoulders to swing one up and the other down. “Leave everyzing to me.”

THREE MONTHS AGO…
Beatrice was puzzled. The trail was fresh. She had only just seen the woman turn the corner. Nothing else had crossed through her trail—there was no confusing it. Somehow, the woman had walked up between two buildings and vanished.

The girl studied the woman’s silhouette—how as she walked, she thrust her hand out in front of her. Her wrist seemed to rotate ever so slightly. It was as though she pushed on something unseen and had it give way for her. Beatrice stood back and practiced the motion, trying her best to figure out what the woman had done. After a few tries she realized she was pushing a door open—a door she didn’t need to unlatch…

A faint ringing brought her spinning around to see a man leaving the drug store next door. She watched him push the door and hold it back with his palm, letting his two adolescent daughters out before he released the door. Beatrice could see his every moment—even the movement of the door swinging and the bell bouncing on it.

She turned back to the seam where the two shops met—where the woman she’d been following had vanished. On faith, she put her arm out and pushed on the door that did not exist. She walked forward and suddenly found herself inside of a used book shop.

The woman she’d been following was leaning against a shelf of books. She looked up at Beatrice’s entrance and looked flabbergasted to see her. “Uh, guys?” she called towards the back of the shop. “I think we have a customer.”

Beatrice swallowed. She knew what was coming—knew what she was facing. “Excuse me,” she said, “you are a…” She waved her hands through the air comically. “Ze magic person, no?”

The others spilled out from the back room, only to fix her with the same startled look the woman in red leather had. “Please, you ‘ave to ‘elp me.”

“Who the hell are you?” one of them asked. He was an Asian man—very physically fit.

“B-Beatrice. Beatrice Marceau.”

“How did you get in here?”

Beatrice pointed to the youngest of their order. “I followed ‘er.”

“I swear to you, Chuck, I was careful!” spat the woman in red. “I didn’t see anyone following!”

“She did not,” Beatrice said. “I followed from a distance. My powers let me-”

“Powers?” asked the Asian man. “You’re from that school, aren’t you?” He swung his arm up and reached behind him.

The one the young woman had called Chuck threw an arm out—not to begin casting a spell, but to stop the transmuter from doing so. “No,” he said.

“But she saw-”

“She’s one girl. If this were an attack, she wouldn’t have come alone.” Chuck smiled fiendishly at Beatrice. “What do you want?”

Beatrice teared up. “I just want Otso to come home.”

“I’ve gone down this road twice before,” Chuck said. “First, with Tallemaja; then, with Jason. Why should I trust you?”

“Because I am desperate,” Beatrice said, drying her eyes on the backs of her hands. “I will do anyzing to bring ‘im ‘ome.”

“I say she’s crazy,” Dante grumbled. The man leaned against the wall to her left and folded his arms across his chest. “There’s no such thing as parallel worlds.”

“I am not crazy,” Beatrice said. “I ‘ave been to one.”

“It does explain the two other Earths that were in the sky last week,” offered Mikayla.

Beatrice nodded. “I do not know much about what happened. Ze ship did somezing. My friends—zey went aboard to stop it—to save ze ‘ole planet. Some of zem did not come back. Ze ‘eadmaster? ‘E says zey are still alive—just… somewhere else.” Again, she began to tear up. “One of zem is my boyfriend—Otso. I love ‘im. I cannot just do nozing.

“Can… Can magic bring ‘im back to me?”

Chuck looked over the rest of his group before meeting her hopeful gaze. “No spell that I know can… but perhaps one that we teach you will.”

Beatrice nodded. “Teach me. Please.”

“I don’t work for free,” the abjurer said. “If you want this—if you want him back—there is something you’re going to have to do for us.”

“Anyzing. Just tell me.”

“There are wards around the school. I need you to take them down.”

“Show me ‘ow.”

NOW…
Beatrice clapped her hands together, then threaded her fingers together. She stabbed her thumbs upwards and raised her hands to cover her eyes. “Slenth brulgst.”

Her shoulders spasmed. Her upper arms began to twitch. Something was squirming underneath the sleeves of her uniform. Suddenly, her arms bulked out. Muscles bulged. Her back twitched then and her legs. Suddenly, her body seemed to expand ever so slightly. Vestige was covered in rippling muscle.

In the stands above the battlefield, Kirstie looked to Otso. “What—did she just…?”

The French girl swiftly went to work on casting yet another spell, swinging her arms through the somatic components. “Ecardera buenn.” Again, her body spasmed and increased ever so slightly. Beatrice had turned into a hulking brute.

Cassidy eyed her transformation with a raised eyebrow. Doug held a trembling Nicole close. Of the group, it was Steven alone who could bring himself to articulate what he was thinking. “What the hell was that?”
The Order – Round One
  • T-Rex (16)
  • Steven (15)
  • Beatrice (10)
  • Cassidy (9)
  • Quail (6)
  • Chameleon (5)
The dinosaur will move up.

Steven will hold.

Beatrice will cast, then surge to cast a second spell. Fiat to eliminate the fatigue. Hero points to everyone.

The others will hold.
NVAE Setting - VP: 5