Eldritch City (3E MM)- OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Heritage367

Re: Eldritch City (3E MM)- Closed to New Interest

Post by Heritage367 »

Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:34 am I like the idea that Darlene helped in Jodi's missing person case. We could take it a step further and say that Darlene helped Phillip get his life back after being found and declared dead. And a step further... three+ years ago (before Phillip was 'turned') he and Jodi pulled Darlene from the river where she almost drowned. This would have been a small claim to fame that Darlene would have easily come across after she awoke. Maybe she went to find and thank her rescuers only to find the situation where Phillip is fighting to keep the only job he knows and Jodi is missing.
Phillip would have to rely on attorney-client privilege and divulge why he can't make daytime court appearances.
I like this connection between them as well; certainly it helps explain why Dar is willing to go out on a limb for Philip to convince one of the firm's lawyers to help such an 'unsual' client.
Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:34 amYour time line, Heritage, is that the accident happened three years ago but she was in a three-year coma. You might want it to be longer since she was awake to regain her life, practice her powers, etc.
At the very least I think saying she woke up six months ago is probably a good idea; that's enough time for her to have some experience getting used to her powers, while still allowing her to be just scratching the surface of EC's dark and mysterious underbelly.

I think the links we've discused could look like this:

Lexi ---> Darlene <---> Philip <--- Fortinbras

Lexi and Fortinbras know each second hand from their associations with Dar and Phil. Just a thought.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

So I just got handed a huge holiday travel/RL curveball. I will be away from today (As soon as I finish frantically packing) until Tuesday evening.

Unsure if I will have time/access to post anything- it is unlikely. I will update late Tuesday/early Wednesday.

I understand if this drops me out of the selctions, but I will probably complete the character anyways as backup.

Good luck to all, happy holidays if appropriate, and safe travels.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Heritage367 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:46 am I think the links we've discused could look like this:

Lexi and Fortinbras know each second hand from their associations with Dar and Phil. Just a thought.
This looks good to me. Part of my idea for Fortinbras is that he's looking for friendship - it would not make a lot of sense for his character if he started out with a bunch.

I found a picture by Mike Mignola of his character Joe Golem, Occult Detective, and added that to Fortinbras' write-up. It approximates how I see him in my head (nothing matches perfectly). I didn't even realize there was already a golem detective before I made Fortinbras, but now I have a new comic book to track down, so all is good.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I am pondering a slight re-working of Yasuko's sword form. I won't have time to really hash it out until tomorrow though. Mostly gonna try and do her magic sword techniques a little differently
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I'm still not sure what exactly I should be trying to plush about Layla, does anyone have ideas?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:55 pm I'm still not sure what exactly I should be trying to plush about Layla, does anyone have ideas?
Well, looking at the submission, if it were me as the GM< I'd want to know more about what she's doing now, what brought her to the city and what would motivate her to work with others solving mysteries and fighting supernatural threats. Basically the same stuff Yasuko was missing xD
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Updated Phillip with expanded backstory including the ties to others discussed and a timeline.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Heritage367 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:46 am At the very least I think saying she woke up six months ago is probably a good idea; that's enough time for her to have some experience getting used to her powers, while still allowing her to be just scratching the surface of EC's dark and mysterious underbelly.

I think the links we've discused could look like this:

Take a look at the timeline and background I put in for Phillip, especially where Darlene is concerned.

How *would* she have reacted when Phillip told her that vampires are real and he's one? What about when he could prove it?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Regeneration, Limited to Fatigue conditions

Optionally;
1) Distracting(-1), Sustained(-0)
2) Standard Action(-2), Concentration(-1)
3) limit it to Fatigue specifically, rather than fatigue conditions which includes exhaustion. Debatable whether it's worth more than the -1 of the limit already on there
Curious about thoughts on this. Obvious ramifications are more extra effort availability. Regeneration does recover fatigue/exhaustion, but normally only after removing toughness penalties.

Those optional parts can be all applied, of course making it cheaper and cheaper (5 ranks per point if both applied) as well.

The point of it is this; I would like to drop the array on her sword and do her sword techniques as stunts because it sort of does make sense, the problem is the limitation on means to recover fatigue in combat meaning at most I could toss one maybe 2 techniques in battle which is... eh. I'm fine with limiting how frequently the techniques can be thrown out, but once or twice a battle just feels too limited.

If I limited down to Fatigue only (Not exhausted), it does leave a hole in there where if she is fatigued and get knocked to exhausted, she can't use this until she recovers at least from exhausted, and thematically I like that where she cam too tired to recover from fatigued.

Descriptor wise, it is meant to represent drawing in mana to reenergize herself after expending magic to use one of her bigger magic sword techniques.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:01 pm
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:55 pm I'm still not sure what exactly I should be trying to plush about Layla, does anyone have ideas?
Well, looking at the submission, if it were me as the GM< I'd want to know more about what she's doing now, what brought her to the city and what would motivate her to work with others solving mysteries and fighting supernatural threats. Basically the same stuff Yasuko was missing xD
Alright, thank you Epic! That's a good starting point for me if nothing else. I'll see about working out those details later tonight, and maybe tweak her statblocks a little.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
RainOnTheSun

Re: Eldritch City (Recruiting, 3E MM)

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:57 pm
The Burglar advantage from the Gizmo Guide is one of my favorite little tweaks. It allows you to use stealth OR sleight of hand (two versions) in place of technology when it comes to defeating security.

Right now Johnny is in that area of nifty.. but not quite right for the game. You do have a week to adjust things or to let it go. I'm sorry. Thank you for your time and interest.
Hey, no problem. Thanks for letting me know, and enjoy the spoops.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:45 pm
3) limit it to Fatigue specifically, rather than fatigue conditions which includes exhaustion. Debatable whether it's worth more than the -1 of the limit already on there
I didn't think Fatigue/Exhuastion counted as 'Damage Conditions' (the only ones Regen removes) as they can't be a result of failing a Damage check.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:08 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:45 pm
I didn't think Fatigue/Exhuastion counted as 'Damage Conditions' (the only ones Regen removes) as they can't be a result of failing a Damage check.
Oh you're right. I missed that ONE word on the power description that it was specifically damage conditions. S'what I get for reading the pdf on my phone on the bus. :roll: Well bleh.... Hmm...

Edit: Well, after a day of thought, I have no additional ideas how I may take the sword techniques out of the array without relying on a somewhat steady income of hero points to use them as stunts. I built the three techniques she has listed as somewhat simple ones, obviously use has others she can pull out as stunts, just these three are like...signature techniques she can use more efficiently without fatiguing herself.

I am open to suggestions otherwise, but unfortunately M&M doesn't have a ton of resources to limit usage without restricting the number of uses a bit too much (Unreliable's 5 uses option, while still better than relying on hero point income to fuel stunts, is more restrictive in replenishing said uses. It also tends to get side-eye for some reason when its in an array. Relying on power stunting is fine except for the need to male sure to have a means to deal with fatigue otherwise you get 3 tops before dropping which is very restrictive.)
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Heritage367 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:26 pm Lexi could be a client of the law firm where Darlene works; an attractive and popular entertainer has all sorts of legal issues to deal with, like negotiating contracts, handling copyright disputes and obtaining restraining orders. And perhaps her family has been represented by them in the past? The Harringtons and Charles Raymond could go way back.

BTW, this webpage actually does a good job of describing the nature of paralegal work, so I offer it as a resource :ugeek:
Sorry for taking so long to reply, still getting over a bout of the flu. And yes, I love this idea of Lexi being a client of the law firm where Darlene works. Plus the Harringtons having a history of being represented by them is perfect, can't believe I didn't think of legal representation for her or her family. The Harringtons have been stage magicians for over 200 years now, knowing they need legal help to prevent from being ripped off probably came from a hard lesson by the first of them being swindled by an employer.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:34 amI'm having a hard time coming up with link to Lexi other than Phillip (and his new partner Marty) are often sent out to treat victims of the crimes and attacks that Lexi gets involved in. If mages or magic triggers Phillip's ability to smell the supernatural he would look at her funny if she were part of the crowd of watchers. In any case, he'd have her 'scent' if she was at a lot of attacks.
Well, besides the links through other characters, Lexi and Phillip could know each other due to him having to show up at her place of work on more than one occasion. She does work at a nightclub and even the best of those places have their share of incidents happening and brawls breaking from time to time. Drinking and clear heads don't mix often.