Eldritch City (3E MM)- OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Spectrum

Eldritch City (3E MM)- OOC

Post by Spectrum »

Hi folks,

I wanted to give running a game another try. I've been playing around with this idea for a while and have a lot of things worked out.

Inspirations: Dresdenverse, old WoD, SCP, Batman, HP Lovecraft, Astro City
PL: 8, 3 skills/pp, no variable, limited arrays- narrowly defined concepts!

Dark Things are out there. They lurk in the shadows. Most people pray that they aren't real. You know better. You may be one of them. Are you predator or protector?

The Prince of Crows has long been a protector, operating in the shadows, keeping the Dark Things at bay. You have caught his attention. Why? What does he see in you? Are you up to the challenge?

I'm planning on running several solo games in parallel with limited crossovers. Note that I didn't set a number of players- I'm looking for fun concepts that I can play with. I also want magic using types to be narrowly focused- are you a necromancer? play with shadows? Start with a good concept and we'll go from there.

Looking forward to responses!

Phillip Dremmond / Flynnarrel / Vampire
Lexi Harrington / Psistrike / Illusionist Mage
Darlene Lampwick / Heritage367 / Telepath
Fortinbras / Yojimbo / Frankenstein-esque Monster
Werespider / Bladewind / Werespider

Layla Bluebriar / Doctor Malsyn / Changeling
Joshua Lopex / FuzzyBoots / Spirit Medium
Johnny Janus / RainOnTheSun / Real Imaginary Friend
Darwin / BillFromAccounting / Extraterrestrial Reptile man
Yasuko (Yawarakai-Te) / EpicEclipse / Magic Sword in Human form
Last edited by Spectrum on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Flynnarrel

Re: Eldritch City (Recruiting, 3E MM)

Post by Flynnarrel »

Is there a central city you want players to be in?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Yes- Eldritch City is a working title for the name of The City. Arkham, Gotham and Arcanapolis have all come to mind.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Are we allowed to introduce NPC spellcasters for our backstories? I ask cause i have a PC Caster,but his backstory involves a Magic-using Uncle........
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I like rich backstories especially if people are willing to work on the details.

Also, to clarify, I'm okay with people that delve into the occult. I just want to have them defined in how they deal with the occult. They are rare and not publicly known (or at least easily publically dismissed)- and have areas of knowledge rather than the generic area of magic.

I'm curious to hear what you're thinking about.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Do you have a general guideline on how you'd like arrays limited? "No more than X alts." for example?
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:20 am Do you have a general guideline on how you'd like arrays limited? "No more than X alts." for example?
It seems he wants arrays that have a specific thematic focus for spellcasters(Ie: fire magic array), as oppose to "usual" magic arrays that generally have an attack, healing, create, move object, maybe an affliction or two and so on. Thats just what i am reading into it anyways.

I have an idea or two rattling around that might work here. Needing a little refinement, but I'll hafta do that after work.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Mmm, reading this over has already given me a good impression. I have an idea to play a supertnautal creature, possibly something along the lines of a Changeling or another type of fae.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

There's a part of me that wants to pull out my "Binder" character again, but honestly, he was a bit lackluster the last time. How would you feel about someone whose primary attack is a randomized Affliction? It's +2 to be able to choose each Affliction each time, but if I randomly roll for each one, what are your thoughts? The concept would be more or less a biokinetic who doesn't really know how his power works. It just sort of randomly scrambles his target's vitals.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

One of the ideas I have is a sentient magical sword that has developed enough magic for form a body to be able to live as a human. A sort of twist on the 'living weapon' trope. Fluff aside it would be basically a magic swordsman/woman. (Thinking something based on Excalibur to give it a more knightly personality, though there are plenty of swords of myth that I could base this sort of concept on)

Alternate idea is someone who has had a demonic or shadowy entity bonded to their soul. It wants to take over and is constantly trying to influence the character, but on the flip side, the character has access to dark powers. (This is a similar idea to a warforged Warlock I built years ago and would like as not have a similar build, maybe with a few tweaks)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:27 am I like rich backstories especially if people are willing to work on the details.

Also, to clarify, I'm okay with people that delve into the occult. I just want to have them defined in how they deal with the occult. They are rare and not publicly known (or at least easily publically dismissed)- and have areas of knowledge rather than the generic area of magic.

I'm curious to hear what you're thinking about.
I happen to have a character made for a different game called Cerberus.He used a Greek/Roman theme to his magic(Artemis' Shield,Prometheus' Flame,Pegasus Wings,Hippolyta's Belt,The Gates of Olympus,Hercules' Might,Hades Kennel,Argus' Sight,etc.) who was taught by his "Crazy" Uncle Omar,a major NPC Sorcerer in the magical underground of the game setting(basically a more scholarly,non-active version of Dr.Strange).I didn't want to step on your GM toes and add something you might not want added,so i thought i'd better run it by you first.........
Heritage367

Post by Heritage367 »

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about psychics, or are you just looking for magic users?

Edit: scratch that, I just remembered I have a 3e build for a police detective/ritualist/artificer lying around somewhere, who I think is a PL8. She got her doctorate in Archaeology and Social Anthropology before she joined the force, motivated by her policeman father being kidnapped by a cult. She doesn't have to be a cop, she can be a private investigator.

Morena Colby has no magical powers of her own, but she does posses three powerful fetishes she made from items that belonged to her late father: a pair of glasses that let her see mystical phenomena, a super-sharp K-Bar knife, and a protective fetish made from his old dogtags. Otherwise she either just does rituals or creates fetishes for any desired magical affects.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Interested in this, now have to figure out the kind of character I wish to play that would be a fun concept and fit in with the setting. Bouncing between stage magician/illusionist who is an amateur detective sort or someone affected by a curse that gives them powers but makes them appear to be a supernatural creature of some sort.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:54 am
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:20 am Do you have a general guideline on how you'd like arrays limited? "No more than X alts." for example?
It seems he wants arrays that have a specific thematic focus for spellcasters(Ie: fire magic array), as oppose to "usual" magic arrays that generally have an attack, healing, create, move object, maybe an affliction or two and so on. Thats just what i am reading into it anyways.
Epic- you really hit on the head with this comment. I'm trying to avoid Swiss Army Knife arrays. 4 should be a rarely hit upper limit.

Edit: And please don't try to have 'instant' artifact/ritual generation. If you have it as a between scenes things- great! (and can be a good way to replace arrays) If you're doing it as a cheap way around variable.. :(
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Flynnnarrel- Gateway is interesting and I think that with some adjustments, we could have some fun with him. But yeah, the array is way way too wide. I'm also not sure about having his background characters so far away.

Could you please copy him over here so that I can have everyone in one place?