[M&M 3E] Sword and sorcery idea

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: [M&M 3E] Sword and sorcery idea

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I can easily work that into the lore of her people, perhaps one of the rare few societies that have created a form of dual-gate magic from their celestial and elemental heritage. I'm not planning on whipping out many more magical tricks other then things related to sand and how it interacts with her swordfighting.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

People with multiple gate magic are exceedingly rare, so having a whole tribe of them is pretty much out of the question.

That having been said, there is also magical items. Magical items can have magic from multiple magic users with different gate affinities putting magic into it to create hybrid effects. THAT is quite common. Still runs the idea of magic items being more pricy, but again, doable, and it could just be a particular magic item crystal the people are known for producing. (I forgot to add that part in earlier because I was at work and rushing my posts)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Eh, I'll come up with something somehow if you ever open up submissions.
------------
Camus

Post by Camus »

I could see them being adept at sand bending in particular for their history and culture, without creating it. But your character could have that rare ability because of something. It will keep dual gates rare and the feel of the tribe the same
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Camus wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:12 am I could see them being adept at sand bending in particular for their history and culture, without creating it. But your character could have that rare ability because of something. It will keep dual gates rare and the feel of the tribe the same
Again, "sand bending" is just using kinetic energy to move sand. A tribe of people wouldn't be renowned or famous for it because anyone who uses elemental gate magic can do it. You're not manipulating the sand, only the energy moving it. The same energy used to move anything else.

It's like...saying a tribe is known for only growing tomatoes. They aren't the only group that grows tomatoes. And others grow more things than just tomatoes. From a lore standpoint, a tribe that focuses entirely on using elemental gate magic to only move sand makes no real sense. Granted, any individual's potential with magic is different, but kinetic energy is kinetic energy.

Like I said, this kind of constricted magic system may just not really work well here
Camus

Post by Camus »

I see your point but you don't see mine. They would not be just moving sand, they would be doing all sorry if crazy stuff with it, that other kinetic controllers can't, because of the nature of the element they are moving. They could operate it to build things, for transportation, add shelter, I don't know. I think there is a lot of potential in it.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Quick Q;How would you classify(?) humans then? I'm thinking of subbing a Human Swashbuckler-type character.....
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Camus wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:58 am I see your point but you don't see mine. They would not be just moving sand, they would be doing all sorry if crazy stuff with it, that other kinetic controllers can't, because of the nature of the element they are moving. They could operate it to build things, for transportation, add shelter, I don't know. I think there is a lot of potential in it.
I'm really just not seeing this working out. The point you are trying to make is in essence trying to get me to change how I established the magical system I laid out. You cannot make sand act in a way that sand does not act in reaction to energy of any kind. The magic of the elemental gate allows one to generate and manipulate energy. That is all. Anything done with that energy reacts in a way one would expect it to. I'm not entertaining the idea of mutation of magic that change that fundamental rule because it's floodgates into all kinds of mutations which utterly defeats the concept I had established.
MacynSnow wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:15 am Quick Q;How would you classify(?) humans then? I'm thinking of subbing a Human Swashbuckler-type character.....
For the record just because the question was asked, purebred celestial would be the "humanest" of the races. Having celestial as a dominant genus is grounds enough to have a character who looks human with no crazy physical features or anything.
Camus

Post by Camus »

EpicEclipse wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:11 pm
Camus wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:58 am I see your point but you don't see mine. They would not be just moving sand, they would be doing all sorry if crazy stuff with it, that other kinetic controllers can't, because of the nature of the element they are moving. They could operate it to build things, for transportation, add shelter, I don't know. I think there is a lot of potential in it.
I'm really just not seeing this working out. The point you are trying to make is in essence trying to get me to change how I established the magical system I laid out. You cannot make sand act in a way that sand does not act in reaction to energy of any kind. The magic of the elemental gate allows one to generate and manipulate energy. That is all. Anything done with that energy reacts in a way one would expect it to. I'm not entertaining the idea of mutation of magic that change that fundamental rule because it's floodgates into all kinds of mutations which utterly defeats the concept I had established.
MacynSnow wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:15 am Quick Q;How would you classify(?) humans then? I'm thinking of subbing a Human Swashbuckler-type character.....
For the record just because the question was asked, purebred celestial would be the "humanest" of the races. Having celestial as a dominant genus is grounds enough to have a character who looks human with no crazy physical features or anything.
Still not understanding my point. I-m trying to use your system, not change it. I can use knietic energy to move sand in a way, and then use heat energy to crystallize it in a glass structure. As you yourself said, science it out. I guess that would make that tribe, or any other specializing in a different environment unique, as their use of elemental magic shapes the world around them in far more complex ways than just heating up steel in their weapons.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Yes, but anyone with sufficient knowledge could do it. It would not be a trait unique to any particular tribe really. You also said transportation using sand, which if superfluous.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Anyone? But they needed to know about how to blend that particular element using the energy they can manipulate. If someone didnt know about the particular properties of sand and tried to heat it up would end with hot sand or melted glass, just using the correct ammount of heat and grouping the sand together in the precise density would get them the result they are after. And I could see that with water as well, I dont think it is far fetched. What would be far fetched is that any elementalist could be capable of managing all those variables in their minds. Attuning their elemental power to certain "thing" would seem more logical to me, at least for those that live in Nexus, dont know about those within the gates.
Transportation is superfluous yes, perhaps any knietic user could d it I guess, but they would have to manage to make sand dense enough to not fall through, or find other creative way to use it in that regard, its not like a rock, that would be easier because its solid
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I get that the specific magic needed is just easily enough replicated by any adept capable of using the Elemental gate. What I was having in minf however was more their expertise and the teqniques they've spent years of their live developing to seamlessly blend their magic with swordplay. It's much more their cultural style rather then racialy unique magic.

Warriors of their tribe would use special crystal gems created by their shamans, the members of their tribe who display Celestial magic. These gemstones allow them to summon sand with which they can use their pressure magic to finely manipulate. I also had a thought that once every say, hundred years, there's a member of their tribe with dual-gate affinity who can blend those two magic together in a new and powerful way.

My character would not be one of those, more a common warrior of her tribe who employs a gem, but it was a thought I had nonetheless.
------------