New Vindicators Academy of Europe (OOC - Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
McGuffin

Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe (OOC - Full)

Post by McGuffin »

Tattooedman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:09 amI talked to him tonight and he's still recovering, but the doctor likes how Mich is doing. So things are looking good.
Glad to hear that, thanks for the heads-up TM!
Arkrite wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:12 am Yeah, seems like a universal approach to a lot of tropical places is to avoid moving around at sunrise or sunset because that's when you get most dangerous situations.
I think they start suggesting some seriously bad ass boots at that point.

Just glad to hear your wife is okay.
Size-wise, everything between a rabbit and a moose gets moving around then, as I learned firsthand in my summer job.
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Arkrite wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:12 am Yeah, seems like a universal approach to a lot of tropical places is to avoid moving around at sunrise or sunset because that's when you get most dangerous situations.
I think they start suggesting some seriously bad ass boots at that point.

Just glad to hear your wife is okay.
Only a Canadian would call the Pennsylvania mountains "tropical" ;}
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

I had a couple of appointments this week. Cardiologist is satisfied with my heart and doesn't see a need to perform an ablation, unless I end up having another surgery. I don't plan on it, but still... He thinks that the stress surgery put on my body made my heart go haywire. The next day I saw the surgeon's APN. She's worried about my having zero appetite. Yesterday, I consumed 220 calories--120 of which was just protein water to, you know, keep me from collapsing from exhaustion. I'm apparently losing weight too fast, and she's concerned that this might throw my body into shock, which apparently can cause the gall bladder to shut down? Yanking the gall bladder's no big, but given how my heart responds to surgery...

One of the things that's kept me entertained has been a high school friend's Facebook posts. He treated himself to a trip to Stockholm and, as it was wrapping up, found that he could save a couple hundred dollars on airfare by taking a 20-hour layover in Helsinki--which has been on my bucket list for ages. Dude ate some really awesome stuff: reindeer soup, lingonberries on spinach and goat cheese crepes, blue cheese and prosciutto sammiches... I was envious. Now McGuffin's telling me that Finland has snakes? Snakes aren't supposed to be that far north. :(
NVAE Setting - VP: 5
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Glad to hear you are okay and coming right, keep looking after yourself and the food in Finland does sound very tempting not sure about the reindeer soup though :D
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Michuru wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:20 pm She's worried about my having zero appetite. Yesterday, I consumed 220 calories--120 of which was just protein water to, you know, keep me from collapsing from exhaustion. I'm apparently losing weight too fast, and she's concerned that this might throw my body into shock, which apparently can cause the gall bladder to shut down? Yanking the gall bladder's no big, but given how my heart responds to surgery...
Yikes.
Hopefully you can find something you can eat and keep down.

This does remind me of the oddest Doctor's prescription I've ever heard. My Grammy was a tiny woman and growing old had only made her smaller.
Finally her doctor told her that she had to eat porkrinds and have a beer every night.
It was the only way he could think of to make sure she kept some weight on ;~)
Gilliam wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:58 pm Glad to hear you are okay and coming right, keep looking after yourself and the food in Finland does sound very tempting not sure about the reindeer soup though :D
Funny part? That soup was the only thing I thought sounded tasty to me.
But I'm a heathen, foodies hate me ;~)

Michuru wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:20 pm Now McGuffin's telling me that Finland has snakes? Snakes aren't supposed to be that far north.
Went to Kelowna this summer with my family. Me and my wife went hiking.
First time in my entire life I've seen a snake that wasn't in captivity.
Not going to lie, I'm not afraid of snakes, but I certainly don't enjoy the idea of venomous anything living near me :~P
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

Arkrite wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:40 pmWent to Kelowna this summer with my family. Me and my wife went hiking.
First time in my entire life I've seen a snake that wasn't in captivity.
Not going to lie, I'm not afraid of snakes, but I certainly don't enjoy the idea of venomous anything living near me :~P
The common theme with your story and Shock's is hiking. Clearly, this nature's way of telling y'all to stay indoors. ;)

I am absolutely terrified of snakes and anything snake-like. I have not seen the Indiana Jones flicks as an adult because I know that there are snakes in those freaking movies, and I can't handle seeing them on TV. Pictures of them are pretty bad too.

I can handle pictures of worms, eels, lizards, iguanas, salamanders, newts, and their ilk, but can't handle seeing them in real life. They are all either 1) snake-like creatures; or 2) snakes with arms and legs.
NVAE Setting - VP: 5
Shock

Post by Shock »

Michuru wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:58 pm 2) snakes with arms and legs.
Pretty sure I work with one of those guys ;}
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

Michuru wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:20 pmOne of the things that's kept me entertained has been a high school friend's Facebook posts. He treated himself to a trip to Stockholm and, as it was wrapping up, found that he could save a couple hundred dollars on airfare by taking a 20-hour layover in Helsinki--which has been on my bucket list for ages. Dude ate some really awesome stuff: reindeer soup, lingonberries on spinach and goat cheese crepes, blue cheese and prosciutto sammiches... I was envious.
Good to hear from you Mich! :) Hope you can figure out a diet to keep you going. My girlfriend couldn't chew her food after her surgery, so she had to eat a lot of soups and other non-solids. The lack of variance in diet was challenging and didn't do much to help build her strength back up but we managed to get through it well.

She loves different kinds of cheeses but I prefer more basic choices in that regard. Reindeer is delicious, though, moose as well. Finland had a argument with Italy over prosciutto some years back. They didn't think much of our history or food when some EU political positions came up. A Finnish chef's pizza was chosen as the best in the world in 2008 and he named it the Pizza Berlusconi after the Italian prime minister who'd badmouthed Finland previously. The pizza has chanterelles, red onions and smoked reindeer on it.
Michuru wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:58 pmThe common theme with your story and Shock's is hiking. Clearly, this nature's way of telling y'all to stay indoors. ;)

I am absolutely terrified of snakes and anything snake-like. I have not seen the Indiana Jones flicks as an adult because I know that there are snakes in those freaking movies, and I can't handle seeing them on TV. Pictures of them are pretty bad too.

I can handle pictures of worms, eels, lizards, iguanas, salamanders, newts, and their ilk, but can't handle seeing them in real life. They are all either 1) snake-like creatures; or 2) snakes with arms and legs.
Finland has two species of snakes, the harmless rantakäärme or grass snake which is non-venomous and the venomous but rarely ever fatal kyykäärme or common European adder or common European viper. There's also the vaskitsa or slowworm, which is a legless lizard that can be easily mistaken for a snake. I've seen a few of any of them total over the years, but that's in the woods and never had any trouble with 'em.
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

I hope you eat well and keep taking care of yourself.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Have a good and speedy recovery!
"Something pithy this way comes."
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Eyes on the prize Michuru! Take care of your health. As for the food...since I'm a fan of venison of all sorts, I'm certain Reindeer soup would be pretty tasty. Of course after my outdoor survival course years ago, I'm pretty keen on most foods (except Bananas, because I'm allergic and anything doused in harvard sauce because...blech).

I've eaten some things that are pretty appalling over the years though. Grubs were the worst, though I'm not super fond of tongue. The next time we grill snake though, I'll eat an extra bite for you Mich.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Flyn: In answer to your question, a nat 20 on a Toughness roll means that - if the check failed - you only get Bruised, regardless of how much you fail by.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

EnigmaticOne wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:35 am Flyn: In answer to your question, a nat 20 on a Toughness roll means that - if the check failed - you only get Bruised, regardless of how much you fail by.
Thanks!
"Something pithy this way comes."
Shock

Post by Shock »

It looks like Team Rose and Team Beatrice are both in a bit of trouble. I'm kinda hoping the T-Rex pulls through and manages a TPK. Otherwise the Blitz will be looking kind of soft
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I am not going to lie, if it eats Rose I will be cheering ;~)