New Vindicators Academy of Europe (OOC - Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Shock

Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe (OOC - Full)

Post by Shock »

Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Good luck
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

Good luck! :)
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Happy Birthday, EO!
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Happy Birthday EO :mrgreen:
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

Many returns of the day EO! :D
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Felicitous Conception +8mo. day.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

A very belated happy birthday, EO! You know the drill: 3 non-expiring hero points. :)

Apologies to everyone for the absence! The semester is over and other things have calmed down. I hope to pick up my old pace with the game now. :)
NVAE Setting - VP: 5
Shock

Post by Shock »

Welcome back Mich. I miss one day and shit starts to happen.

I mentioned it elsewhere but I'm currently unable to access this site from home and I have no idea why. Every other website on the internet works fine. It's been 2 weeks now I have no idea what I can do to fix it.
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

Shock wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:11 pm Welcome back Mich. I miss one day and shit starts to happen.

I mentioned it elsewhere but I'm currently unable to access this site from home and I have no idea why. Every other website on the internet works fine. It's been 2 weeks now I have no idea what I can do to fix it.
Plot twist: your twins have gotten jealous of how much time you spend playing games instead of hanging out with them, so they got into your home's router settings and restricted access to this site and only this site, thereby baffling you and also forcing you to spend your free time with them.

Really, you should be proud... and maybe a little terrified...
Shock

Post by Shock »

If only. Then I could bribe them into fixing it and they still think 20 bucks is a lot of money ;}
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Mich: That was a Stun effect, not a Damage, so Vlad shouldn't have a Bruise. Of course the DC would have been higher if I used Damage and now I wonder what I was thinking. :P
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

EnigmaticOne wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:58 pm Mich: That was a Stun effect, not a Damage, so Vlad shouldn't have a Bruise. Of course the DC would have been higher if I used Damage and now I wonder what I was thinking. :P
Bah! I'm a bit rusty! Thank you for pointing that one out. :)
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Boy, it took me forever to find where William had told Lex that Steven was a suspect.

It was in his encrypted letter.
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

Our story begins way back in 2015, in the magical land of Virginia. It was there that a young man named John made the latest in a series of poor decisions—one that saw him sentenced to twenty years. John, not one to really learn from his mistakes, blamed the mother of his children for his situation. During their visits and phone calls, he told her frequently that it was her fault. She grew tired of the verbal abuse and told him that she was moving—she was taking their children back to their home state of Illinois.

After serving a year of his sentence, John was released for good behavior in early 2017. With his family in Illinois, his probation was moved across the time zone and John made his way here. However, his love had left him and found someone who… well, wasn’t on probation and didn’t blame her for his bad decisions. With no place to stay, he moved in with his brother’s family. With no job or money, he took his mother’s credit card. With no car, he took his mother’s car. Within a day of being in Illinois, John was pulled over for not wearing his seat belt. The officer who stopped him discovered that John’s license was suspended because of several unpaid tickets in Illinois—unpaid because, when John moved to Illinois, he figured, “Why pay them? I’m never coming back here.”

John was bailed out by someone else. John’s tickets were paid for by someone else. John got a job at the company I manage. John started dating the mail carrier and moved out of his brother’s house and into her place. John started getting a paycheck and—rather than pay child support—bought a truck and a boat. When someone “disrespected” his boat one night at the river, he allegedly decked the guy. He bragged to everyone at work about how he hit him so hard he knocked him out and hurt his wrist, then had to hightail it out of there because his buddy pointed out that he was on probation.

John bragged about a lot of things. While he was in a relationship with the mail carrier, John began to brag about the random women he was sleeping with on the side and showing his coworkers the pictures he took of them while they slept. When his girlfriend decided to get back at him by cheating with someone else, John bragged about beating her. He also bragged about beating up his ex’s new beau and running someone off the road in his truck because they tried to merge into his lane as they entered a construction zone.

Most of his coworkers complained about working with John as he seemed more keen to play on his phone than do his job. Their reports fell on deaf ears though, as the big bosses seemed not to care. After all, John was their daughter’s husband’s brother. He was practically family.

When one of the other people was let go, he reported to me that John had been selling him pot—the act that John had gone to jail in the first place for. As it was only the allegation of someone who had been fired, I wasn’t sure how much weight that carried, but I wrote a report for John’s personal file. When work of this reached John, he waited for me outside of the men’s room. “Yeah,” he said, “so what? I sold pot to him a few times, but it’s none of your &$^% business. You best watch your mouth or learn to watch your ass.”

I shrugged and wrote a report of this encounter for John’s personal file. This also upset John, who felt the appropriate response was to threaten to run into my car with a skid loader.

When John began to believe that my job description included “doing personal crap for John”, he would walk into my office to issue orders that I promptly ignored. This would warrant him threatening to slice my tires or stab me. On another occasion, John launched into a tirade directed at me. John needed a commercial license to drive the bigger trucks. An administrative assistant had gone to the DMV to pick up a study guide for John. When John said he couldn’t understand it and needed help, I arranged for a tutor… which John didn’t show up for because he had plans to “get druuuuuuuuuunk, son”. I personally don’t have any issue with some language. I cuss like a sailor. Still, I dislike pejoratives. When I say that John dropped “f-bombs”, I don’t mean he repeatedly said “fuck”. That wouldn’t bother me.

What really bothered me was that John did this in front of one of the business owners… who took no action. I attempted to bring it up to the other owner—that John was effectively creating a hostile work environment. He had repeatedly threatened me and verbally harassing me. She interrupted me. “John’s never going to change. If you have a problem with it, you can go somewhere else.”

That evening, I went home and I applied for a new job.

John went to a bowling alley, got drunk, smashed his girlfriend’s mobile phone with a bowling ball, got kicked out, smashed some doors as he left, forgot his seven-year-old son in the arcade, bounced his girlfriend’s head off the side of his truck’s door, then peeled out without her. He was pulled over and arrested and the office was tasked with trying to smooth it over with the owner of the bowling alley so that John’s probation wouldn’t get yanked because he’s clearly someone important.

I got a call for an interview. I took my first personal day this year to go in. They immediately gave me a second interview… then a tour of the complex… and a third interview… then had me shadow another employee… then had me go to a lab for drug testing and sign off on a background check.

Two days later, they called to offer me the job. It pays more than I was making at my old job… which I’d have been at for fifteen years in a month. It has better benefits. It has an onsite gym with personal trainers for me to take advantage of. It has so many perks, it’s ridiculous. Right now, the best one is that everyone is so nice and doesn’t threaten anyone.

Honestly, the only bad part I’ve found is the smell that hits you as soon as you set foot in the lab. It stinks in there. Big time.

Tomorrow, I finish orientation. Monday, my training is technically supposed to begin, but I’ve been coached by some of the other technicians in the late afternoon hours and have been secretly doing my job already. Still, I adore it. It is easily the best job I ever had, and I’m kicking myself that it took some idiot to make me get out of my comfort zone.