Young Protectors: New Chapel (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Horsenhero

Re: Young Protectors: New Chapel (IC)

Post by Horsenhero »

Meanwhile...
OOC: Okay, from the beginning of the visit to the HQ things have gotten a touch out of hand so I'm going to take a moment to "reset" them, that way we don't have so many deleted posts. It also seems to me there's a whole lot of energy being devoted to truncating Johnny's actions going on, so if there's some sort of underlying problem with the way Johnny's character is being portrayed let's get it out in the open now.
So, I want each player to give me a post about what they're doing starting from immediately after living quarters are chosen. Just to answer some questions let me get the following out of the way.

**There are no super sensors or the like among the bases' features. The features listed in the first post will give a pretty good idea of what's available**
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

Blade of Poseidon (D'An W'ren/Dan Warren)
HP: 3
Cnd: Fine

D'An fidgeted restlessly after claiming one of the rooms. He was used to a very structured life so concepts like 'free time' usually meant 'practicing forms' to him.

"So do we get a boat to go look for the monster in the swamp? There's still time before the party tonight."

Hunting and fighting a monster was something he understood and was looking forward to. The party he knew less about but he was curious.
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"I'm in!" Johnny says, "We have a few hours still to take a boat to Beecher's Stand and the Big Guy," he raises his hands to imitate his alter-ego, Jack Club's height and girth, "can take a good whiff of tha place, (better his nose than mine), maybe catch us a scent of this 'monster', or jus' maybe we find out it was just normal swamp critters." Johnny says with a shrug. "We choose whether to track whatever it is then or not - Jack can track by smell."

"We can stash fresh clothes in lockers at school in case we need to change in between bog and party. But I know if we don't make at least some progress tonight and someone else goes missing. Imma feel mighty low, bruvs." He says seriously.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Blitz (Emily Marie Powers)
HP: 3 / Cond: Normal

Emily nods to Ronan. "It's better than nothing, and I'm not so worried about something happening at the party, but while we're at the party, y'know?"

She looks at Johnny and D'an. "You're right, there is time before the party, and I understand where you're coming from Johnny, but it's a big swamp. Even with a location of an attack, it was from the water, so there's really nothing we can trace. If I can set up a surveillance on the area, we can at least monitor it from any odd movements and cover more area that way than by aimlessly wandering in the swamp, then we can use the time before the party to gather more information, see if we can find out more about this supposed monster, other attack sites or anything. I feel we'd make a lot more progress that way. Us being in the swamp doesn't necessarily mean someone else won't get attacked."

Emily throws her hands up and shrugs. "But if you really want to go wander around in the swamp with your fingers crossed to come across something, I'd suggest finding a way to stash a shower in the lockers as well. Girl's aren't going to be impressed by clean clothes if you still smell like a swamp on your skin. I'll go try and set up the thing, and if you decide to go out there and actually do find something, you can radio me, but really, I think we're better served gathering information at this point rather than running off out there aimlessly with no information besides 'it's a swamp monster'."

With that, Emily heads off to the communications and computers to work on figuring out the controls to set up some kind of link to the satellites that would be able to survey the area, a little disheartened at the limitations of what she could do, but still feeling a sense of accomplishment stumbling her way through the process into some kind of result, even if it's not exactly what she had been hoping for.
So making use of that Technology checked rolled in the OOC thread. She'd also like to start gathering information via the computers, cross referencing local news media that she can access if possible. Investigate or Technology since she's using a computer to do it?
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Johnny scrunches his face. "Do locker rooms in America not have showers?" he asks. "Aint they always sayin 'Hit the showers!' in football movies?"

"If the guy's body was dumped at Beecher's Point you don't think there'll be a lingering smell of what dumped him? If so, then maybe at the next body site there'll be a fresher scent but we'd be able to tell if it's the same creature. Worth a trip to the swamp, no?"
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

D'An stared in awe as Emily worked with the base's to investigate the swamp. Having no real grasp of using computers, what she was doing was more impressive then magic to him.

"Um, I was gonna room at the school, I just came here because everyone else did and I thought we were gonna hunt the monster. If you wanna stash something there for either that or the party, you're more than welcome to."

He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "Actually, I should probably get that figured out before the party."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

The thought of D'an on campus surprised him; talk about a fish out of water. He still thought the Big Guy should get a scent for whatever it was killing people out there. But there was no way he'd transform with no certainty of changing back on his own. He'd counted on at least one other able to talk him back, if needed. He hated to let fear dictate his actions but he wasn't sure he could trust himself, trust Jack to relinquish control.

"Hmmm... I guess it would be good if I can store a few sets of clothes at your flat, D'an. Do you want any help getting that room set, Bruv? We could do that instead."
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

D'An nodded his head eagerly.

"I'd really appreciate the help."
Syncretik

Post by Syncretik »

Immediately post "stealing" the room:
Syncretik wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:48 pm Ronan grins mentally at Johnny's expression, then blinks back to the map. Looking it over again for use as a rough reference, he sets off to familiarising himself with the rest of the base.

This accomplished, he blinks back to "his" room (and then from room to room if the others have moved on at this point). Unaware of any decision they may have come to, he interjects "Hey, Emily, there's some kind of scanning equipment in here, why don't you set it up for an overnight run looking for this...monster, and then we all head back to the school?". He looks her in the eyes and adds mentally "And if that isn't an option could you make something up before Johnny drags us all off somewhere else? I'd like to have a life, as well as mud-stains."
Post Emily's response:

Ronan nods to Emily in return, but it is in understanding rather than agreement. Personally, he wasn't overly concerned; bad stuff was happening all the time, and they could only be in one place at a time, right?

He was half-tempted, for a moment, to offer to meet Johnny half-way and spend a couple of hours playing in the swamp; he could be out of there and into the shower in the blink of an eye, so there was no danger of him missing any of the party. Fortunately, however, with Emily now on-board with the idea of leaving the expedition until tomorrow, Johnny seemed to have accepted that he'd have to wait, so Ronan was saved the effort.

Rather more tempting, however, was querying Johnny about just how much control he had over his "dark side"; Ronan was rather leery of wandering about the place with a half-chained rage-monster. Given what had just happened, though, it seemed better to leave it until he was in a better mood; that sort of inquiry would be delicate at the best of times.

With their course of action finally decided, Ronan blinks over to the comms room and spends a few moments trying to divine the function of the more complicated pieces of equipment there. He was familiar with the basic functions, like everyone else, but the rest was Greek to him. He shrugs as Emily enters the room and moves out of the way to let her "do her thing". When it looks like she's done, he asks "All done then?
Set up for an overnight run?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Emily had more or less focused on setting the surveillance up, not paying too much attention to Ronan's presence. He may have annoyed her by helping without asking, but she knew he was just trying to be helpful, so her earlier annoyance didn't color her attitude now. After checking that Johnny and D'an were not also in the room, so as not to fuel the youthful passion Johnny exhibited wanting to pursue the swamp monster, "Something like that. I couldnt get it to scan per se without some kind of energy signature and special sensors to pick up said energy signature, so the best i could do is tap into orbiting satellites to basically google maps the area repeatedly while overhead. It's not perfect, but it will give us something maybe. Won't be much use while it's dark unless someone starts shooting and the satellite catches the muzzle flash. Really it's not likely to catch anything unless we're really lucky, and of course that there is anything really out there. Not that wandering aimlessly would be much better. Not sure what Johnny expects to smell over the swamp itself." Emily sighs and shrugs, rolling her left shoulder, the one baring the weight of her alien prototype weapon.

"Anyways, I'm going to try and look for any other local references to a swamp monster. Might find some clues of where to narrow down a search for when we inevitably get dragged out to comb the swamp. I just hope Johnny isn't up at 5am to drag everyone out there to search." She smirks. She DID get where Johnny was coming from, and she wanted to prove herself as much, if not more, than any of her fellow proteges, but boating through a swamp with no real leads seemed like a way only to prove how inept they were with planning or naive to believe every rumor they hear.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

D'an, Emily, Johnny, Ronan-

As Emily got the communications unit tapped into the satellites and that feed set up to be digitally recorded by the base computer, she took a moment to run a basic google search for local swamp monsters. Unsurprisingly there were a couple such legends, but none that the locals seemed to take seriously. The death at Beecher's Stand (which she discovered from the article was just a well constructed hunting/fishing stand made a long time ago by a guy named Hiram Beecher) didn't even make front page news. It was on the third page of the local paper and barely amounted to a short blurb on their online edition. According to the article, a body had been found in the water near Beecher's Stand. The body had been scavenged on by several animals, but local law enforcement did not suspect foul play. There was a quote from the parish Sheriff reminding people that the swamp was dangerous, especially if you've been drinking alcohol and drowning, gators and poisonous snakes were hazards to take seriously.

That was it.

Other than that the search doesn't turn up much over the last century. After the Civil War, New Chapel developed as a trade hub and city where freed slaves found a local government either liberal or apathetic enough that it was one of the few places Voodoo could be practiced without fearful persecution by local Christians. The only places that had exceptional numbers of "swamp murders" were the few islands deep in the swamp where Pre-Columbian native populations had existed. These populations had been part of what archeologists and anthropologists refer to as the Mississippian culture and had long since been extinct due to the ravages of small pox and other diseases introduced by European settlers. Mostly these murders were blamed on smugglers and other criminals who use the islands as staging grounds for their activities.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

"Hey Ronan, you had said you were more into ritual-y things right? You think you could whip together some kind of... I dunno... rewind vision ritual or something? Like, if we were able to get near the body and see what exactly killed it? Just spitballing, I don't even know if we CAN get near the body, but it might be a more definitive lead than wandering around the swamp, y'know? It was an idea she suddenly remembered from an old tv show she'd seen where a guy who was a psychic touched objects to see into their past to solve mysteries. Figuring it couldn't hurt to ask if their resident magic guy could replicate the effect.

After reading through all she figured she would find on the subject, she decided she would pass along what she learned later when they were all together again.
Syncretik

Post by Syncretik »

Ronan took a seat as Emily worked, watching images flash past on the screen the screen(s). Nothing particularly stood out to him, and Emily's summary definitely suggested a dearth of useful data "Mmm. Well, at least this way, even if it comes up with nothing, we wont have wasted much time looking".

He reverts back to silence again as Emily tries another tactic, this time paying less attention to the screens, and more trying to figure out another option they could try. Given his limited experience with the subject, clairvoyance would be unlikely to reveal anything further and would take a hell of a lot of time to boot, so that was out; going to the scene and hoping his less conventional senses picked up something was even less likely to work than Johnny's nose "Jack's nose. Weird.". No further ideas came to him, so he waited until Emily was finished, in the unlikely hope that she'd found something workable. She hadn't, but she had come up with an idea he hadn't "Postcognition? Could work. Magic like that would take quite a while to set up though, especially since we probably wont have access to the body. It'd have to be performed right before we set out, too, ritual magic isn't the most stable." He shrugs "It'll depend how much free time we have tomorrow."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

"Well, It's an idea anyways, maybe a bit more reliable than sniffing swamp gas. Besides, from what I can tell with the news articles, if you could really even call them that, stuff like this is infrequent at best. I'm not necessarily saying we drag our heels just in case there IS something going on, but I don't think we need to worry about another body turning up too soon."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

McGuffin wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:49 pm Blade of Poseidon (D'An W'ren/Dan Warren)

D'An nodded his head eagerly.

"I'd really appreciate the help."
Johnny packs a smaller bag with essentials and a few changes of clothes for if he suffers an accidental change at or near school and accompanies the Atlantean back to campus. He does give a longing look toward the swamp. He couldn't bring himself to divulge that Jack was able to track prey through the sewers of London - he was no stranger to picking up and sorting through even the most noisome of scents. But there was a chance they'd ask him about that and even his fuzzy memories of that time were... unpleasant. Alys had told Johnny they kept the specifics of the Ministry's hunting down of the infamous 'London Brute' from the media and even the other proteges (so as not to bias their opinion). But that didn't keep the memories, fragmented as they were from haunting his waking and sleeping mind. Truth be told that was another reason Johnny wasn't comfortable staying on campus. He hated to admit he was Jealous of D'an. Not that he'd ever let that be known in a million years.

"So, there's got'a be an 'Office of Student Housing' around here somewhere. Let's see if we can't get ya a single. An You wouldn't mind if I need to borrow it every once in a while, would ya? Just fer an hour or so, usually midday?" Johnny asks D'an.