(IC) Children of the Atom (An X-Men AU game, M&M 3E)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: (IC) Children of the Atom (An X-Men AU game, M&M 3E)

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Oi, Prof Braddock, init? Whatchu on about? Here ta learn a bit o Barney? Layin' tha beat? Knockin' noggins? or maybe just how to tread aggro in a row wif your brass intact?" Wally asks, slightly amused at the prospect of a teacher in his 'class'.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

Robbie shook his head and smiled. "Professor Braddock? You're British, correct? AND a Telepath? Can you even understand what he is saying? He sounds like Brad Pitt in the movie Snatch if he had a speech impediment...
Robbie jibed at the Brit. But Wally actually kept his cool when the guns were blazing. He was also the 1st of them to spot the ruse being perpetrated by the Gunmen that had invaded their School. That coolness-under-fire was something that Robbie had lacked. Despite his loud mouth, Robbie was hoping some of that would rub off on him. Not that he'd ever let Wally know that!
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Kevin Winters / Ice
Cond: - 1 Toughness
HP: 0
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:38 pm Her hoodie felt a little weird still, kinda stiff in place from Kevin wearing it up until just recently. Hopefully it wouldn't shrink. This thing was pretty expensive for her. "Hey, Kev." The girl started, not quite looking at him as she still tried to make her outerwear fit comfortably. "Sorry we didn't get to play that game. I totally would've smoked you though, just saying."

Finally satisfied, she crossed her arms under chest and gave him a partly toothless grin. "Wanna hang out some? Seems we've got some free time."
"I really hope I didn't wreck that." He says indicating the hoodie. "Was either that or leave it behind. Let me know and I'll replace if if need be.

"And yeah, I'd love to hang sometime. Kinda looks to me like your power involves your skin being covered in water to render you invisible. Right? Between Brittney and myself, I think the three of us would be a formidable team.

"And, I'll take that as a challenge and we'll put it to the test as some point."

He couldn't let the jibe go unchallenged. He had a rep to maintain, even if he actually wasn't actively competitive like others in the school.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Sharq
HP: 1

---

"Yeah, something like that or whatever." She absently agreed, not being an expert in how her own more fantastic ability even operated. "Oh, maybe we could go out and be like... a superhero gang or something! I'm sure other mutants have tried it before, right? If not maybe we could be the first. We could call ourselves the uh... Thermal-dynamics! Wait, no... That actually somehow sounds sounds really stupid." She commented, frowning and bringing a hand to her chin. In the end she just shrugged, intent on figuring it out later.

"Catch me after class tomorrow, I'll be hanging out near the fountain."

With a wide grin, she mock punched Kevin in the shoulder as she prepared to move past him. "Would love to see you even try to top me in a game. See ya on the flip-side tough guy. Adiós y todo eso." With a dismissing wave of goodbye, she made her departure.

---

Later that night she found herself getting ready to turn in for the night when she caught a whiff of something awful. Peeking around the corner, she could see that English kid walking up the stairs, the smell of smoke and booze clinging to him in varying amounts. She heard a rumor earlier that there was something going on up on the roof tonight, so maybe she should follow behind and check it out herself.

Stealthing up the stairs silently behind him, she kept up pace enough to see him step out onto the roof and let the door close behind him. Knowing that she probably wouldn't be able to get onto the roof without drawing attention to herself she decided to instead make a big entrance, maybe even try to spook him if he was standing nearby.

Opening the door just a crack, she then proceeded to kick it the rest of the way open full force. "'Sup!" She declared confidently, taking in the crowd of students plus teacher. "Heard there was a party going on up here."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Wally frowned slightly to be in the presence of another telepath. But he supposed that even telepaths didn't diserve to get their teeth kicked in.

He sidestepped the door opening behind him to admit the studentata.

"No party." Wally answered. "What Ackey-Dackey," he gestured to Robbie, "Teach Braddock, an these others are here fer some extra-curricular instruction on what to do in a fight. Lesson 1 is likely to be 'Don't rush ahead an try to maim the first bloke you see.' Ya might consider joining us." he says sardonically.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Sharq

---

Ana narrowed her eyes at Wally, disappointed that he took everything in stride. She knew better then to try anything against him with a teacher standing right over there, but not saying or doing anything felt like it'd net him a win. It was of course known to her that she should actually try to learn some better self control though, so she also kinda wanted to stick around. Retaliate, jibe, walk off, be silent, there was no ideal outcome here.

Giving a dejecting and un-ladylike snort, she brushed psst him to join with the others. She'd find her own way to get back at him later, the jerk.
------------
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Thermic hp: 1

Brittney returned to her room and reluctantly did some homework. Eventually she became bored and wandered outside. It was a pleasant surprise when she found some mats set up. She grinned widely and, after a short running start, performed a tumbling routine across the mats. They were more cushioned than she was accustomed to so it threw her routine off a bit. Definitely not even close to a tournament winning performance but not a crash and burn either. If she had known mats were set up she would have changed into her workout clothes.

She did a few more tumbling runs before taking a short break.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Kevin Winters / Ice
Cond: - 1 Toughness
HP: 0

He hadn't given the information much thought. They had classes and training sessions for their powers. Who was Wally to make comments and offer courses on the side? Hopefully a teacher would show up and put an end to it.

But.

Wally had proven something. He had a rep for being a jerk and was a bit of an outsider. But he had proven just how much more he was when the chips were down. No one could say that Kevin or any of the others had balked, but at the same time, Kevin's rep was exactly the opposite of Wally's and perhaps just as undeserved.

The cold controlling mutant set aside his book and slipped into a school jacket and headed out to see who would join. He took a long way around. He didn't want to influence anyone into going who wasn't already planning to.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:13 pm "Oi, Prof Braddock, init? Whatchu on about? Here ta learn a bit o Barney? Layin' tha beat? Knockin' noggins? or maybe just how to tread aggro in a row wif your brass intact?" Wally asks, slightly amused at the prospect of a teacher in his 'class'.
"Not exactly mister Iverson. When Professor Xavier heard about this gathering you offered, he felt it would be best for it to have teacher supervision as least, or a proper instructor. I happen to have a background in martial arts, so I volunteered to teach this as an extracurricular activity, which means attendance will be a privilege that may be revoked as any other. That having been said, professor Xavier felt you had a point and having access to self defense instruction would be beneficial, especially for those with more destructively inclined powers so as they have a means to protect themselves, without using their powers to harm anyone." That last bit, by her tone, was in no way meant to be a jab at anyone, and if nothing else, a sympathetic nod to anyone who did feel they needed to use their powers in self defense because they didn't have training for another option.

"Now then, I think that is enough time waiting here, we do only have so many hours in the day. I've had some training mats set up down in the yard for our use." she looks to Wally. "And please do not think this is to steal your thunder. You were incredibly brave today and all the faculty and I am sure many of your fellow students will agree, as were the other students who rallied to chase off the school's attackers. It may not have gone as swimmingly as you may have envisioned it, but you were all very brave." looks at Ana and Robbie then back to Wally. "Reckless, but very brave with your hearts in the right place."

And with that, she moves the students from the roof down towards where the training mats are set up, and currently being utilized by Brittney, passing Kevin along the way, giving him an opportunity to blend in with the moving group.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Wha-what?" Wally asked but the female frofessor already left through the door with a trail of students. Wally just gave a dismayed look and frown, then he went over to the edge of the roof looking down into the yard. He spied the training mats and set up a skew from roof to mats. He was there first but left the portal open for any other students to come through. He waited for the Professor and the gaggle of students she lead to arrive.

"Professor," he says, trying hard to keep a civil tongue, "I think you misunderstand my intention."

He looks to the students gathered around. "What Professor Braddock was talking about was 'How' to fight. She's offering physical training and reflexes and all that's good. But I gotta say," he looks to the professor, but he's clearly talking to the students as well. "The 'How' is near-enough the easiest part, I mean, no disrespect to your fancy belts an all that, but the 'how' is pretty simple - you fight with everything you have, everything at your disposal - if there's a chair you throw it, it there's a bottle you hit em with it, if they've got you in a hold, and that WILL happen cuz there's always someone one bigger an stronger, then the 'how' becomes you biting, and scratching, and going for the eyes, the throat, the Frank-and-Beans, anythin. Your fancy moves are just a part of 'how' and there's merit to that, like I said. But that wasn't what I was gonna talk about when I proposed this. I was gonna talk about 'when' and 'why'. I was gonna talk about NOT fightin' when it don't make no sense, when you walk away even when it's the hardest thing to do, I was gonna talk about when you fight just so you can get away clean, and come back to blindside that motha... ahem.. come back later, wif your crew if you can manage it, and I was gonna talk about when you throw everything you have in the fight because it means your life, or those of your mates, or your security, because you know theys just gonna come back if'n you don't hit em hard enough they don't even *think* to try you again, that's the 'when', but it touches on the 'why' you fight." He looks to the students once again. "The 'why' you fight is the hardest question yet, an I can only tell you my answer, I can't choose yours for you, but I was gonna talk wif you all, maybe come up wif an answer together, or at least get you to answer it for yourself. But no," he shakes his head. "I weren't gonna show you any fancy moves, maybe just how ta fight dirty, punch kidneys and soft bits and the like. But none o tha's as importantant as 'when' to fight and 'why' you're fighting." He turns to Braddock, "Is there room in your 'curriculum' go over that? Maybe a quarter hour before your chop-sacky lessons? If not, I'll take whoever wants to have these kinds of discussions elsewhere, and you can teach what you wanna teach. Or maybe we alternate." Wally shrugs, "Dunno."

He looks to those assembled. "What do you lot wanna learn?" He asks honestly and earnestly. His words were heartfelt, without rancor. And he has to admit it's probably the most honest he's been since coming to the colonies.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Thermic hp: 1

Brittney had just finished another tumbling run when she saw Wally, Professor Braddock, and some other students there. It was then she realized the mats were for their use. Hastily leaving the mats, she apologized.

"I'm so sorry. I was out walking and saw the mats. I just couldn't resist using them."
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

Redline

Robbie waited for Wally to finish his speech. "Man you love the sound of your own voice..." he then turned to the Professor. "As much as I hate to do it. I agree with Trainspotting. It was chaotic, and..and BLOODY out there.
One thing Peaky Blinders here knows is Chaos! I don't think kung fu lessons are going to teach us to handle that."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Professor Braddock patiently listens to Wally with Robbie's follow-up support, clearly weighing their words. She looks at the other students as well, gauging their expressions and probably also their surface thoughts after hearing Wally and Robbie. Of course it was clear Wally felt strongly, even passionately about it, even without her telepathic powers.

"Battles are messy, and chaotic. Martial arts is not only about kicks and punches, but also discipline and confidence, two things that will better enable you to process the chaos and handle it. As for when and why to fight, those are philosophical questions, and ones that change with individuals through time and experience. What your experiences have instilled in you, mister Iverson, about when and why to fight, may not apply to others here, or even make a lot of sense without the context of what your have experienced."

Professor Braddock folds her arms and sighs slightly. "I see however that this was not what you were expecting with your statement on the roof earlier today. If you wish to teach, you should be speaking with Professor Xavier, though given a lack of teaching credentials, I don't see much coming of it. It may sound harsh, but it is honest. But to all of you, I am still willing to teach this self defense class in the way I was taught by my mentors. Mister Iverson, I do suggest you in particular do participate. Perhaps through the experience you will come to understand what I meant before."

She pauses, looking at the other students to see who sticks around. A few leave, newer students that any of you can tell, still rough around the edges and not used to not being in an environment that isn't all about their rep or turf and probably thinking of what Wally was suggesting as the start of a gang within the school and more interested in that than any kind of philosophy.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Sharq

---

She tried to pay attention to short discussion, she really honestly did. But Eventually she just let her eyes glaze over as she waited for whatever they were talking about to finish. The professor would easily be able to tell that she hadn't caught onto any of the deeply philosophical implications regarding the whens and whys of fighting, and was much more concerned with how to beat people up without killing them by accident.

When the talking pauses, she blinks and notices some of the other students leaving for some reason, but unaware of what was going on she merely straightened her shoulders and tried to focus back on the telepath before them. Not wanting to seem foolish and ask about what just happened, she figured it was best to just pretend she knew what was going on and thus put up a false confidence.

Jeaze, when was she going to finally teach them how to hit stuff?
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Wally purses his lips and nods slowly. Of course she'd bring up teaching credentials - like you needed some sort validation to share your experiences of the world or a piece of paper to say one person is more qualified than another. She also reminded him that this school was a dictatorship. He'd definitely be writing about that in his journal later.

Wally takes note of the ones that are leaving, those ones are more likely to approach Wally later either to hang and talk or to challenge him because they either feel weak and want to build themselves up or think he's weak and want to rub it in his face. That's what people did where Wally was from, after all. But Braddock was just saying that was the crux of it, wasn't she? She was saying that not everywhere is like where Wally was from. But then again, those men today certainly were... but he was willing to concede her point. After all, the bald toff said he'd show Wally a different world, didn't he?

"Okay, Professor Braddock, we'll try it your way. I'll keep an open mind about what you've got'ta show. But I'm sure I'll have questions as we go forward." Wally says.