(IC) Children of the Atom (An X-Men AU game, M&M 3E)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
CaptainChaos

Re: (IC) Children of the Atom (An X-Men AU game, M&M 3E)

Post by CaptainChaos »

Thermic hp: 1

Brittney had been waiting for the summons with dread. Even though they had been assured yesterday that everything would be fine, in her heart she knew otherwise. She had been trying so hard to stay out of trouble. During her first few months at the school she found herself being called into the office frequently. Back then she still had little control of her powers and less restraint when she was angry.

Now she was sitting in a small conference room, a glass of water in front if her and one of the school counselors, who's name escaped her, and a thick file with her name neatly printed on it, were on the other side of the table.

"Hello Ms. Reese. May I call you Brittney?"

"I guess that'd be okay. I thought this was an interrogation."

"No, Brittney, it's not an interrogation, just an informal investigation. We just need to find out what happened yesterday. I'm going to ask you a few questions. Just answer them as best as you can."

Brittney was trying not to act nervous. She kept glancing around the room looking for hidden cameras or other surveillance. Her eyes locked onto the file and her mind raced with the though of being kicked out. She would be back on the streets again and that frightened her more than she would admit to anyone.

"Please don't kick me out. It wasn't my fault." she pleaded, tears welling up.

"Relax Brittney, we are not expelling you from the school. Now if we can get started?"

Brittney just nodded.

"Tell me what happened in your own words."

"Well, the Headmaster contacted me about some of the other students pursuing the attackers. Kevin and me caught up to them. Ana was there and that weird British kid and a few others. There was a bunch of guys and some vans. We tried to get the other students to return to the school but they wouldn't listen. So we started making a plan and we argued about killing the men. Most of us were against it. Anyway, then Ana ran off and attacked one if the guys. Things happened fast after that. There was an electrical burst and one of the vans got blown up. I was in the trees and got thrown backwards. I think I got some bruises but nothing serious."

The woman jotted down a few notes and continued.

"How did you react and do you think you reacted appropriately given the situation?"

"I didn't really react. I mean it all happened so fast. It was like I was in shock or something. The British kid and Kevin tried to get the situation under control and prevent anyone else from getting hurt."

"I...I didn't do anything and...and I should have tried to do something. I screwed up. I didn't do anything and the situation got out of control and people got hurt and now the school is in trouble with the police and it's going to have to close and we'll all be homeless and it's all our fault!" she answered with tears streaming down her face.

She buried her face in her hands and continued sobbing.

"It's okay Brittney. You're not in trouble. As I said, this is just an investigation into the events of yesterday. Its just a formality. Now, would you have done anything differently?"

"That's a stupid question!" she blurted out and instantly regretted the outburst.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean that." she said softly.

"I mean, yes I would have acted differently. I should have acted differently. I should have acted before the other kids did, before it got out of control. I could have stopped the vans from leaving and no-one would have been hurt. I could have made the men drop their guns before they anyone got shot."

"Brittney, you don't know if that would have worked."

"We'll never know because I didn't even try!"

"I think that's enough for now. Why don't you go back to your room and get some rest. You've had a couple of stressful days."

Brittney sat there for a minute in shock. She was being told to go to her room as if she was a child. She forced herself to get out of the chair and headed fir the door. She trudged slowly down the corridor, fearful she would either be kicked out or forced to go to a shrink.
Last edited by CaptainChaos on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:57 am The following day, Kevin, Brittney, Ana, Wally, Robbie and Todd (Gelignite) are brought in to be interviewed about the events of the attack in your own words. The questions you are each asked are the same; What happened? How did you react? Do you feel you reacted appropriately given the situation? Would you have done anything differently?

"Roight, like I aint got nuffin you haven't heard before. You like as not heard hows I got kids to the roof when those gas bombs went off. By the by, I think that red shocky kid, he did somthin' hold back tha gas, but it ended up fryin' my loaner computer by accident so's hows about we charge that to the buggering blokes that assaulted the school. So yeah, we was up on the roof an I asked if any one wanted to go after them guys but Prof. Caviar tole us in out heads not ta go. So I don't, them comes ta find out others did so Prof. tole me to go look after 'em. I caught onta what they was doin' - see, it weren't like no proper dust up, they just gassed and left wivout takin' nuffin - no hostages or mansion bling that we could see. The only reason you do that is ta call out the crew whose turf that is. An given that muties... oh sorry, not supposed to use that word... given that us kids have been likened ta bombs on the telly, I figures they were eager for a tussle. I tells the others but the shark-chic, an we REALLY need ta put a bell on her or sumthin, she was already gone, munching away on merc like a Romero zombie. The others were gonna stand down it looked like but the guy who hawks napalm loogies blows up one a the trucks anyway and so now their pissed and pulling out the guns an sh!^, so I gets up where I can sees everyone and every bullet they shot I sent back at their guns, though their fat noggins woulda been WAY easier! They was shoutin' anti-mutant slurs all the while and Snot Boy got gassed. Red guy did this firework thing that I think took out their electronics... you really just oughta call him 'Collateral Damage Kid', seriously. Well, I could see the gits weren't backing down so I skewed up to the rain clouds and brought 'em down to cover tha whole area. I think it was Tasty-Freeze that got everyone together. Which, by the by, let me go on record as sayin' he did, indeed, earn 'Poofter'." Wally nods. "Oh, there may a been a little thing about someone convincing the mercs that there were monsters in the mist that was treatin' em like a plate of jammie dodgers at an Ole Saint Nicks' convention."

"So, we get the wounded back here. I mean the mercs, cuz we wasn't even scratched. I figure it's a gesture of good will like shoving olive branches up their collective arses. And it gives us a bargaining chip."

Wally starts ticking off on his fingers. "What happened, My reactions, and yes, they was as appropriate as f*#< all, an we come out smellin' of roses. And would I a done anythin' diff'rent?" Wally seemed to consider.

"If I'da gone on my own inna first place I woulda seen they had no hostages, figured out what they was on about an none a this would a happened." he crosses his arms.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Kevin Winters / Ice
Cond: - Normal
HP: 0

Kevin was uncharacteristically nervous going into the interview. His hands (and arms if one could see beneath the fabric of his shirt) kept icing and deicing. Snowballs formed and evaporated in his hands. His eyes kept turning and reverting to and from ice.

"Part of me was convinced it was a test of some kind. I couldn`t understand why the Professor would allow us to react when there were much more experienced people that could have acted. At the Professor`s request, I went to try and convince the others to turn back or to minimize violence.

"It still stands out to me that we were permitted - tacitly, directly or by default - to confront the attackers. We were not qualified and we walked into the trap they were trying to lay. And in the few moments that we were there, no one else came forward. It contradicts what they teach here."

Kevin is just barely managing to keep himself from stammering or his voice from cracking. The glass of water he picks up turns to ice and he puts it down absently.

"You want to know how I reacted. I reacted. My instinct was to try and coordinate our effort, to direct us in a unified and straightforward assault. The others had other ideas - perhaps better, perhaps not - but it all went south when, when, when."

He takes a deep breath.

"When the attacker was severely injured. He pauses again.

"No. I don`t think we reacted appropriately. All we really needed to do was make sure that they had not taken prisoners. That they weren't taking our people. We should not have been there. We should not have engaged. Whether or not we handled ourselves well or not is irrelevant. We walked into a trap and no one stopped us. It almost feels like we were set up. And not by those that attacked."

Kevin is really starting to get agitated.

"And this whole nonchalant attitude after the fact. It looks like a man almost died because of our actions and we were let off with the barest of reprimand and told to take it easy and recuperate. This whole thing makes me sick.

"Considering that I can pass for what goes as a normal person, I`m almost tempted to walk out and never come back.

"I've answered your questions now you answer mine. Why. The. Hell. Were. We. Left. Alone. To. Face. Those. Attackers !?!"
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

Redline
HP: 2 Rec: 4 Cond: Unharmed

Robbie sat down at the table separating him and the counselor. His gaze shifted uncomfortably to various parts of the room, refusing to make eye contact with his interviewer.
The counselor gave Robbie some polite chit-chat. Robbie's answers were fairly monosyllabic as he shifted around in his chair. Until the line of questioning came.

What happened?

"We got attacked...

How did you react?

"I did my best to try and help...defend our school."

Do you feel you reacted appropriately given the situation? Would you have done anything differently?

"I-I...Do we really have to talk about this? There was blood and people shooting, explosions...and...and more blood! Maybe I shouldn't have gone and no one would've followed...Maybe if I hadn't gone those guys would be dead. I dunno." Robbie finally looks into the counselor's eyes. "But all those hours I don't sleep? I get to think about it...over and over! Talking about in NOW doesn't help!"
Robbie got up and stormed out of the room without another word.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

While some of you have directed questions to the interviewer, she says she will note them down and pass them to Professor Xavier as she doesn't personally have the answers for you and that she is there to hear your side of things without bias, comforting some of you when you need it, and others simply letting you talk and get it out. That is of course, part of the process after all. Going back over it, analyzing it, taking ownership of what happened and processing it, learning from it by thinking on what could have been different and so on.

As you are all interviewed the same day, while waiting for the last student, Todd, to finish, you are brought into one of the nearby studies to wait for Professor Xavier to address you. However, Todd doesn't arrive, only the professor, wheeled in by a lovely woman with long red hair. They gather you all to the desk while Professor Xavier positions himself behind with with red-haired woman remaining by the door.

"Thank you for your patience, and I apologize for asking you to remain here. I wanted to address you all regarding your questions that were not answered by the interviewer. Mister Maverick will not be joining us here today, but he will be spoken with as well."

He allows that to sink in for a moment. "Now, I am sure you all have questions as well as concerns, and I will to try and answer all the ones I am able to, starting with those already asked in your interviews. First, I believe to be the most pressing; no, none of you are to be expelled. Given the circumstances, I believe you all did the best you could, and accomplished better results in the end than anyone could expect of untrained teenagers. Mistakes were made, true, but in the end you collectively managed to compensate for them."

"Mister Winters, I believe it was you who asked why you were left to face those attacks alone, though I am sure you would all like an explanation. To put it quite bluntly, it was over before any of the teachers could reach you. They were in fact on their way once I found you were unable to convince your fellow students to turn back. It may have seemed like minutes, but the whole thing lasted no more than a minute before Mister Iverson brought you all back to the manor with the injured men."

Once again, he allows that information to sink in. You students were asked not to confront them in the first place and the Professor tried to convince you to turn back and to have fellow students convince you to turn back and failing that sent other teachers to help try and diffuse the situation, but given Wally's portals, you had a completely unmatched advantage in mobility getting there.

"As for why they attacked, I agree with Mister Iverson's assessment of their motives, even without using my gifts to extract the information. It does certainly seem akin to throwing a rock through our window, just with on a larger, more malevolent scale. They were well armed and organized, though apparently were not anticipating multiple teenagers showing up to retaliate so quickly. Had you waited a few moments more, they would have been gone. In the end, the students who had inhaled that gas were knocked out but ultimately recovered fully shortly after."

"I think the next important question is; what happens now. The men you brought back were released into police custody while the men you left at the road dispersed as Mister Iverson's cloud cover. The police will take record of their side of the story, and will be provided with transcripts of the gathered information from you, though we will of course leave out any details of the interviews not pertinent to the investigation. The police will also be inspecting what is left of the vehicles and any equipment they are able to recover to try and find who these men were and who sent them, though a thorough investigation of this nature could take some time. The men that got away however are a concern, as they will have been able to get back to whomever sent them and report. What they will do from there I have no way to knowing and will largely depend on whom exactly sent these men and what their overall motive is."

Another brief pause to let that information be mulled over. "Which leads me to what happens with you five. The simple answer is, no decisions have been made yet. For the time being, as your headmaster, I have taken responsibility for your actions for the authorities until such time as the investigation concludes. unfortunately this means you will not have the privilege of going off the grounds for the time being, and I apologize and do not wish for you to think of that as a punishment. Were that I could not stipulate this, but it was a condition of my being able to have you all remain at the school and not be taken elsewhere. Mister Maverick likewise will be under house arrest as it were with the same conditions, the reason he is not sitting here with you however is there were some concerning things said in his interview that I will not repeat to you."

"Now, if you have any questions I have not already answered, or not answered to your satisfaction, or anything to add that you did not tell the interviewer, this is the time to speak up, in confidence."
WHOOO infodump. If I missed any questions, like the man says, ask him. Note the woman by the door hasn't said anything yet, just listening quietly and observing, and she is not a member of the faculty any of you recognize.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Sharq
HP: 1

---

She was ashamed to admit that she was happy it seemed nothing was happening yet to truly punish her for her actions, but she could hardly help hold back the feeling. It'd been eating away at her since the moment Xavier led her back out of that room to the point where she completely avoided her parents who had come looking for her so they could 'talk'. I was becoming increasingly difficult and Ana knew that there was no way to avoid them forever.

With a wince, she wished that the gas actually had knocked her out before.

The headmaster left the field wide open for any questions they had regarding it all, and the girl felt one was more prudent then others to be had. After biting her lip hard enough to draw a bit of blood, she carefully managed to get her question out there. "Is... Is he alright, in the end?" It came out in a vague manner, but she had no doubt most of them would know whom she meant in this occasion. Maybe knowing that the man she attacked was going to live would help alleviate the worst of her fears regarding her future.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Kevin Winters / Ice

Kevin wasn't really happy with that answer, but he did not voice it. The reason he had gone ahead with the others in the first place, other than the Professor's urging, was that he was concerned that someone (or someones) was being kidnapped and wanted to prevent it. That had been his motivation for blocking the vans with ice walls.

When Ana spoke up, he reached over and rested a hand on her shoulder. It was going to take her awhile to process that and come to terms with it. He hoped it would make her stronger in the end, and not break her.

"At least we've got time for that Basketball game now." He said with a smile and a shrug that somehow made the absurdity of the comment not sound lame.

Kevin looks at the Professor, his eyes kind of betraying (and his thoughts definitely betraying) his lack of full belief in the explanation of why they were left alone. Despite his more or less calm demeanor, he is still seething somewhat inside.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Wally frowned at the news of 'house arrest'. His jaw set angrily at hearing that Pop Tart said nasty things (Wally presumed it was about him and the others or the old toff would'na hesitated).
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:25 am "Is... Is he alright, in the end?"
"Oi! It's not his 'end' you bit, Luv." Wally smirks.

"An why is the investigation 'going to take a while'? Can't you jus reach into their noggins wif your icy mind fingers, Prof?" he doesn't add his loud thoughts of ...or do you only reserve that honor for children? "That would clear things right up, would'nit?"

Wally also found it annoying to have the red-head by the door. Bobbies used this tactic to keep those they were interrogating off balance.

"An who's this?" he jerks his head in the ginger's direction.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Sharq

---

"At least we've got time for that Basketball game now." She heard from the iceboy as he rested a hand on her shoulder, trying to offer her some comfort. When she looked at him she couldn't see the resentment he felt towards the way the headmaster executed his plan, as Ana was instead just amazed with how forgiving he seemed of her.

She smiled, and let her head fall against his hand as she looked up to him. "Can't wait." Quickly realizing what she was doing however, her eyes went a bit wide and she drew back from him, coughing into her hand and trying to focus on something else in the room. "Gonna totally smoke you and... stuff." Ana added lamely.

"Oi! It's not his 'end' you bit, Luv." Wally spoke with a smirk, entirely breaking her out of her self-delivered embarrassment. She wanted to get upset at him again, but she relented that his jibe was actually helping to lighten her mood. It actually was pretty funny after all, with she realized with a small snort which was quickly covered up with a cough.

"Gotta be careful with what you say around me, you don't want anything to bite you back on your ass either."

When he drew attention to the red head, she also found herself curious but unwilling to ask as well.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Professor Xavier looks at the five of you, Kevin and Wally in particular with their doubts plain on their faces, the redhead however is the one to speak up. "I think you give the headmaster too little credit. He used his gifts to try and curb any reckless, misguided actions from his charges. Emphasis on "try". I certainly doubt he makes a habit of spying on the thoughts of others on a whim. Had some of you not gone off all half cocked in the first place, you wouldn't have been facing those men alone, much less at all, so you've only yourselves to blame for that and have no right to try and shoulder that onto the headmaster. As for who I am, I am a graduate of this school and you can think of me as a security professional. After this attack, Professor Xavier got in contact with me. That's all you really need to know right now, that and I am not inclined to taking lip, so before you utter something I am sure you find witty, keep your trap shut before you lose it."

She's clearly someone used to being in charge, and depending on what exactly her mutant gift is, she may well have something to back that arrogant confidence up. Something about how she said "before you lose it" sounded... literal.

Professor Xavier speaks up now. "Now miss Red, I am sure that won't be necessary. Now, were there any further questions before I turn you loose for the day? I am giving you the rest of the day free of classes unless you wish to attend them otherwise."
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Kevin Winters / Ice

Kevin turned towards Red with a "what's up your tight butt?" look before ignoring her altogether. He had no intention of violating this house arrest, so if she got in his face, he wouldn't be in the wrong. He smiled warmly before eventually taking his hand off her shoulder.

Despite his reaction to her, Kevin did see the logic in Red`s answer and decided to let the matter drop. He still found it weird. There had to be people that could fly faster, and Kevin didn`t remember any insistence on Wally opening a portal to let people come to us to assist. But he wasn`t going to get anywhere. The "adults" were sure they were right, the "children" were being children and that was going to be the end of it.

He still wondered if there was any response being organized, of if this had been some elaborate training exercise. Either way, he was not satisfied and doubted he would be.

If they were being dismissed, he got up to leave. Wanting to keep up the appearance of normalcy, he was probably going to class.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Gotta be careful with what you say around me, you don't want anything to bite you back on your ass either."
"You wish, Cyan-hide." he whispers low in response to Ana.

His expression didn't change as the ginger said her peace and the shiny-headed psychic responded.

The words planned themselves out in Wally's head...
"Miss.... Red...." Wally would give a disapproving 'tut-tut', "now let's not go throwin' it in the good Professor's chiseled and noble face how certain kids, not me, mind you, as our psychaprof can attest, but certain kids, wouldna felt the insurmountable need to go if the sanctity of this school, collectively our very home, mind you, hadna been violated so egregiously by persons still yet unknown. It is callous and cruel of you to suggest that the Professor was anythin' less than powerfully diligent in keeping us all safe and questioning the vigilance and lengths he will go to to keep us free of the threat of such in the future or doubt that he's anything less than competent at providing a healthy atmosphere for learning and growth."
But he shook away that message, it would have inflicted maximum pain on the administrators, conveying exactly what he thought of their handling of this matter but ultimately that wouldn't have helped the situation no matter how good it might've felt in the moment.

In the end Wally decided to go with a smile, hiding the Brit's acerbic musings behind unstraightened teeth. "Well, Miss Red, I'm sure we'll all be safer wif you here. And I'm certain I speak for us all when I say that should we be able to assist you in any way, do please, let us know."
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Thermic hp: 1

Brittney stood silently while the others talked. Even though she wasn't technically in trouble for the incident, by keeping silent, she reduced the risk of saying something inappropriate that would get her in trouble. After they were dismissed, she stepped outside for a minute to let off some steam. Once she was far enough from the building, she screamed loudly and let a blast of intense heat erupt. After she calmed down, which didn't take long, she calmly went back inside and returned to classes.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Sharq

---

Ana didn't really know what to think of the "Miss Red" woman, she was more relieved that she was finally getting a chance to leave the cold and deadly fingers of social awkwardness and find something sporty to do. Not even giving so much as a goodbye to the headmaster, she gathered her wits back together and started out. Her farewells were instead saved for Kevin and that one girl, Bethany. She was quiet, but she liked quiet over an insulting British kid and... whoever that other guy is.

Really, she should probably go and look for Eddie as she hadn't had a chance to meet up with him after all the chaos yesterday, but her own needs took precedence here. She knew he'd understand, and the guy was probably in class right now anyway.

Ah, right... Everyone else was in class for the day. That would rule out anything she needed a partner or a team to play with right there, so she'd need to do something on her own for awhile. Running could be fun, but as she neared the space behind the mansion a better idea came to mind. It'd been some time since she had a good swim.

Now she had to double back to her dormroom to pick up her swim suit, but with a goal now in mind she decided to take the time and sprint there instead. Racing through the halls at a speed that could once match anyone on her track team, she passed by a scant number of students and faculty wandering the halls for whatever reason. She didn't really pay them any mind even when she was called out for her running, instead focusing on putting on a good sweat.

Though now that she was half-collapsed besides her door, she realized that maybe she could've chilled just a little and have instead opt'd for a light jog. She slid in her key to unlock the room, finding it currently unoccupied. Which made sense, considering her roomie was probably off either in class or ganging up on some poor freshman. Ana didn't like the way the other girl bullied the other kids, at all really, but when they were in here they had a truce.

Ana leaves her alone and dosn't bug her about cleaning up her side of the room, and the girl in turn would keep any scalding comments to herself. Seriously though, for a girl that preppy you'd never have guessed they were secretly a complete slob. Her face scrunched up as she had to kick aside a stray piece of underwear, and tried very hard not to think about it any more then that.

The side of the room Ana occupied however, was kept far cleaner. Though it had more to do with her hardly ever being in here and wanting to distinguish her side from her roomie's. There was also the fact she just plain didn't own a lot of stuff. A couple of posters displaying a few sports teams from various parts of the country were on display, there was a football hanging out on her dresser with her school stuff. and her phone was still laying on her nightstand from when she plugged it in a few days ago. A cursory checked showed no new messages, so she left it behind.

It'd didn't take much longer after changing and covering back up to get to the pool, where she made it her personal mission to enjoy as much time enjoying the water as she could.

She could do without the chlorine though. Blech.
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Free day, no classes? Sweet!

Wally spends some time of it in his room enjoying a beer (just one because with the house arrest it'd be more of a hassle to go out and get more, and besides, American beer was, well, American beer, you couldn't stomach more'n one. Or if you did the Bud police came out and made you move to a trailer park with 20 dogs or some such.)

He also went out walking. There are entire London neighborhoods that would fit in the amount of land this minted toff had. Wally would sometimes walk through the trees just marveling at the sheer amount of them and sometimes he'd step above the tree line using a portal to stand on solid ground from over 275 meters up.

From this vantage point Wally surveyed the sea of forest dotted by random clearings or waterways, and of course the giant mansion and surrounding buildings rising like a monolith to opulence, he sat down on a patch of grass far below that his portal connected him to and opened his journal.

They're going to come by air next, it's what I'd do - drop bombs where possible, land and assault where not. Maybe remote drones. A buncha kids slapped their faces, stole their people, and made them weak and they won't have any other choice. People are gonna die. Wally wrote before closing the book again.

He skewed to the library and borrowed a computer. He'd never done much with the blasted things but he knew enough to open a search engine. "How to disable a helicopter" he typed in and hit Search. 8 freakin' pages of how to do this in video games. Geez, no help. He finally sighs and decides to see if they have any books on mechanics. He'll check one out and start reading it.

He'd make sure he was there in time for his martial workshop.