M&M 3e, Young Protectors OOC (Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Horsenhero

Re: M&M 3e, Young Protectors (Open recruiting closed))

Post by Horsenhero »

I've got no intention of changing systems "mid-stream". I'll just have to figure it all out. Honestly I thought it was pretty easy until the subject of "rounding up" appeared. 20pp worth of "easily removable" device costs 12pp. Fewer pp worth of device costs less, but I thought the entire point of 3e was that you didn't have to buy the entire 5pp block like you did in 2e.

My problem is I'm operating with the very first version of the 3e rules they produced and it appears there's been a bit of errata added since then. So as much as I didn't necessarily want to do it, I'm going to have to get ahold of the newest iteration of the 3e rules so I'm not behind on basic rules.

I should be able to nab a PDF of the Heroes Handbook pretty easily and go from there.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

I think there is too much stressing the mechanics going on :)

Those build in such a manner just realize the butcher bill comes due some day and the rest of us are going to pay the cost because you lost your device, so ... it's all your fault :) lol

Seriously HH we all trust you to make a good story :)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

StarGuard is right, but I also want to help Horsenhero.

Ultimately, you hit the nail on the head though Horsenhero, the 3E version is just as you say, intended so that you don't have to buy blocks of 5pp. But the original printed version of the flaw required you to use 5pp to get any return cost from the flaw. The updated version corrected that. You still only get points back based on the total end cost of your device's powers.

So devices that only have between 1pp and 4pp in them actually get a cost discount from the flaw (Keeping in mind the minimum cost of a power is 1pp regardless of flaws) as they did not before the flaw was updated. This right here is really the biggest impact the update had on devices as a whole. Otherwise it means a difference of 1 (or 2 points) per device.

(For example, Blitz's arm has 71pp in it. In the original printed flaw, she would get 14pp back and her monocle would have no power points returned since it's power costs are less than 5pp, but the updated version returns 15pp for her arm and 2pp for her monocle.)

The updated Removable is a flaw that can be abused, certainly, but that is done by have lots of small devices with low costs, not larger devices with lots of points and powers in them. Mathematically on larger cost devices, the flaw returns less than the 1pp/rank discount of other non-flat cost flaws on average (Since it is rather rare for someone to take a power that is more than 5pp/rank)
Sorry, I like numbers and game mechanics. I'm just trying to help everyone be on the same page.

Hopefully this makes the device situation clearer
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:51 am StarGuard is right, but I also want to help Horsenhero.

Ultimately, you hit the nail on the head though Horsenhero, the 3E version is just as you say, intended so that you don't have to buy blocks of 5pp. But the original printed version of the flaw required you to use 5pp to get any return cost from the flaw. The updated version corrected that. You still only get points back based on the total end cost of your device's powers.

So devices that only have between 1pp and 4pp in them actually get a cost discount from the flaw (Keeping in mind the minimum cost of a power is 1pp regardless of flaws) as they did not before the flaw was updated. This right here is really the biggest impact the update had on devices as a whole. Otherwise it means a difference of 1 (or 2 points) per device.

(For example, Blitz's arm has 71pp in it. In the original printed flaw, she would get 14pp back and her monocle would have no power points returned since it's power costs are less than 5pp, but the updated version returns 15pp for her arm and 2pp for her monocle.)

The updated Removable is a flaw that can be abused, certainly, but that is done by have lots of small devices with low costs, not larger devices with lots of points and powers in them. Mathematically on larger cost devices, the flaw returns less than the 1pp/rank discount of other non-flat cost flaws on average (Since it is rather rare for someone to take a power that is more than 5pp/rank)
Sorry, I like numbers and game mechanics. I'm just trying to help everyone be on the same page.

Hopefully this makes the device situation clearer
Thanks, but this really doesn't address what's made me ...disturbed...at this point.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Despite the pall that all this debating over rules has cast on my attitude, I haven't walked away from this...I'm merely binge watching my favorite "hero high" animated show "X-Men: Evolution" to re-energize my enthusiasm.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I should binge through that show again. Did Young Justice and Teen Titans not too long ago, but not X-Men Evolution. I wonder if its on canadian netflix.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

I've been watching Young Justice.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

That's fine- take your time. We're totally patient...

Oh, wait- not patient. *Flails*

;)

(Player is patient. Character not so much)
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

It has been awfully quiet in here.

Any further word on this?
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Yeah...sorry for the radio silence.

Everyone who's still in, please check in and I'll get the IC posts up and running once I know how many folks are still up for it. If we have enough people for two IC threads we'll go that route and if my long silence has caused a significant number of folks to bail we'll go with one.

The only roster change will be I'm going to flip Vulcan and Blitz's teams (assuming two IC threads).

Anyway, sound off so I can finalize the opening gambits and we'll get started.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I'm still in.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

I am still in.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

I'm still in, but rather sick.

I have a slightly revised sheet for Presto! (cleaned up some of the rough edges, filed down to otherworldly aspects a bit)- I'll put it up tonight. Personality and power set mostly unchanged.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:07 pm I'm still in, but rather sick.

I have a slightly revised sheet for Presto! (cleaned up some of the rough edges, filed down to otherworldly aspects a bit)- I'll put it up tonight. Personality and power set mostly unchanged.
Cool! Get well soon. 8-)
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Horsenhero wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:24 pm
pathfinderq1 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:07 pm I'm still in, but rather sick.

Cool! Get well soon. 8-)
Ditto. 8-)