Iron City Sidekicks (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
FuzzyBoots
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm

Iron City Sidekicks (IC)

Post by FuzzyBoots » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:17 am

"A quiet night in the borough of Homestead was shattered at 3:03 AM on the 6th day of June, 2014, when the building holding the 1538th chapter of the Order of Owls suddenly exploded in what investigators are currently calling a tragic failure of the safety valves of the gas ovens on site combined with an electrical short in the walls. Despite numerous minor injuries, casualties were limited due to the late hour and the explosive force primarily venting through the roof and skyward. The shockwave killed a homeless man sleeping opposite the building and one woman on 8th and Hayes street, identity unknown, was apparently struck by debris of the roof in the initial explosion, and was conveyed to an Order of Mercy hospital where she died despite heroic effort..." -excerpt from the Steel City Gazette, June 7th, 2014.

The night has been indelibly written into your memory, the night it all went wrong. Vigilantism in Steel City had had an unspoken rule, to never reveal one's identity or hints thereof. Founding Father Benjamin Franklin once opined that three men might keep a secret if two of them were dead. Now, all three men were dead, and one extraordinary woman. Omniman, ever-present, nevermore. The Squire, engines run cold. Top Hat, doing the ultimate vanishing trick... and in the shadows, Santa Muerte has melted away. You were there when it all came down. Something had happened, something too great for your mentor to confide in you, something important enough to pool resources. They'd met at the Nest of the 1538th chapter, and assigned you to stand guard. And so you stood sentinel, searching for threats without, vaguely aware of the presence of others doing the same, when the building was suddenly consumed and the safety of darkness was shattered by great light and sound.

The next few hours were a tumult of confusion, your senses scattered by the shockwave, but your training held firm. You scattered to your rendezvous point, where you waited for what seemed, to your concussed mind, to be forever, only to be greeted with a lack of presence. As the time of meeting passed, and then more minutes, an hour, and still your mentor was absent. Your mind clicked to the next step, the safehouse. When you arrived, it was consumed, seemingly by accident, but your training and your instincts scream arson. You move on to the next cache, and the next, picking up fragments, enough to contain you for a few days more, but ultimately, you're left with only a small array of your previously formidable arsenal. And that's when it starts to hit you, your vision darkening, your breath catching with accumulated foam. You were close enough to the blast that the shockwave hit you hard. Your training kept you alive, your eardrums unburst and your organs functioning, but even a training and a heroic resolve of will can't save you from internal injuries. You stumble to home, and remember little of your following days other than that it's a long road to recuperation.

----
June 13th, 2014
Whether it's the tender care of loved ones, a reliance upon the safety net of the Order of Mercy, or sheer cussedness, you've pushed through. It has been almost a week since the disaster. The Steel City Gazette has chronicled the investigative efforts of the city's police, which seem to have boiled down to a conclusion that it was an industrial accident, exacerbated by the Order's secrecy and a lack of proper regulation. Mayor Fetterman made a statement that he plans to start an immediate investigation of the inspection records of the social clubs of Steel City, but his efforts have been blocked by a number of citizens, as well as the ACLU, with a right to private assembly being cited as a reason to avoid government oversight.

All that you know is that trail is cold, and likely to grow colder. Finally able to leave your bed, you're left with the Sisyphean task of determining what happened to your mentor, and how they might be avenged.

FuzzyBoots
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm

Re: Iron City Sidekicks (IC)

Post by FuzzyBoots » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:29 am

At this point, you're free to embark upon what investigation you wish. Possible avenues include exploring the ruins of the Owls Nest site, attempting to gather info from your usual sources, or attempting to contact the others. The last is complicated by that you're not entirely certain who the others might be. The law of the land was to avoid revealing one's secrets, including one's identity, so you don't have any agreed way to contact one another.

You are all aware that the Order of Owls was a social group with some secret society trappings, but seemingly inoffensive, unusually areligious for its time of founding. Your mentors had claimed it was historically neutral ground in which to meet, although their unspoken words seemed to suggest there was something more to it on some level. A Knowledge check or Well-Informed might get you some more of the facts and rumors. Your mentors did not inform you of the true purpose of the meeting, merely that it was necessary and that they would provide further details afterwards.

The two young men in the group, and White Rabbit, are aware of the existence of the others, but not much more.
Santa Muerte and La Calavera are more elusive targets, and will require checks to be aware of for the men. La Calavera is aware of the existence of the sidekicks, but is similarly not aware of their true identities, or the proper ways to contact them.
OOC wrote:I try to be fairly open to different tactics. State what you plan to do and suggest a skill roll, but I reserve the right to choose a different skill if I feel your described efforts make more sense in a different framework.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 730
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: Iron City Sidekicks (IC)

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:54 am

The White Rabbit knew she was hardly qualified for the level of investigation her father once displayed, so she knew her options were limited from the start. A large part of her suggest she tried to get ahold of one of the boys, or maybe that other girl she heard rumors about. She knew that wasn't going to happen though.

With a sharp tug, she made sure her crisp clean gloves were in place. The compressed rolls of scarves were loaded into the launchers up her sleeves, and a fresh supply of smoke bombs were hidden in various pockets. The last tool of her trade... Her father's wand.

It was the only thing she'd managed to recover when she initially picked over the blast, something the investigators missed. It had amazingly withstood the explosion with only a light scorch, and still sparked like normal. It was supposed to have other tricks, but those functions eluded her.

His wand... Her wand, might just be the sign she needed. If she was able to find something like this, maybe there were more clues to be discovered.

With one last once over of her supplies, she preppared to swing her way toward the explosion site for further investigation.
I wish to visit the Owls Nest and see if she can find something useful to go on. Probably the investigate skill itself, which I admittedly lack. Maybe notice?
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!

User avatar
MissRo
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:18 am
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

Re: Iron City Sidekicks (IC)

Post by MissRo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 am

La Calavera
Condition: Normal
HP: 1 - LP: 0

It had been one of Santa Muerte's favourite tricks; upon arriving in a new town, the first order of business would always be ingratiating themselves with the local homeless population. Sometimes that meant knocking a few heads. Sometimes it meant providing for some need or solving some other problem. Sometimes all it took was an empathetic ear. These were people who were used to being ignored (at best), and it generally took little effort to convince them you were on their side.

In Pittsburgh the problem that needed solving had come in the form of Councilman Louis Forrester, who had been crusading against 'loiterers and panhandlers' for several years now. They'd paid him a visit and persuaded him to turn his attention elsewhere, and it didn't take long for word to spread on the streets of who had really been responsible for the Councilman's sudden change of heart. That's all it had taken.

It was to these dispossessed allies that La Calavera, injured and shaken, had gone. They had provided her shelter, food. Care for the impact injuries she'd suffered in the blast. Most importantly they'd fed her what bits of information they came across. It hadn't been much, but enough to give her good cause to doubt the official version of the story that had been printed in the paper.

Order of Mercy hospital. It seemed that's where they'd taken the collateral victims of the explosion, a homeless man and an apparently rather unfortunate woman. If any bodies or remains had been dug out of the smouldering wreckage of the Order of Owls building, it stood to reason that they'd have been taken there as well. Tonight, after a week of convalescence, La Calavera was on the streets once more.

Most larger hospitals had access to the morgue through rear loading docks, for patients who were DOA. That would be her approach.

OOC: Disable Device + Stealth to gain access to the morgue undetected? Investigate to search the place if she makes it?
"In times of crisis, it is of utmost importance not to lose one's head." - M. Antoinette

User avatar
Camus
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Jolt

Post by Camus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Damian had to give whoever was responsible of the attack some credit. This person has planned ahead big time, not only they had managed to erase the greatest heroes of the city in one swift blow, they had also blasted most safe houses to bits. Only the most secluded and small has survived, and it was there where he has spent the last week. Most of his wounds were in recovery, and he has spent his time crafting some surveillance devices to replace those lost. He managed to place one looking down to the accident site. He knew the other sidekicks were going to try and search for clues there, but he also thought the criminals would go there looking for evidence of their success. The infrared video feed was streaming directly to his phone. In the meantime he scourged the dark side of the web for clues. He knew that was no gas explosion, it was explosives for sure, so checking explosives sales in the black market was a good place to start, besides he knew a guy who knew a guy...

Ooc: I was planning a craft electronics for the hidden video camera and an investigation check to search the web.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ

T0DOSKER
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:03 am
Location: Chicago, IL (more or less)

Re: Iron City Sidekicks (IC)

Post by T0DOSKER » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:41 pm

The Squire
Condition: Normal
HP: 1 - LP: 0

So this is what I've been reduced to?

Scenery clipped by as the Squire looked disdainfully down at the old white 2004 Volkswagon Phaeton he had acquired, shaking his head at just how far he had fallen from his days driving around in the Steed. After all the changes the Cavalier had made to it, it was practically it's own make and model. It had been a muscle car once, that much the Squire had been sure of. Cavalier never did tell him. Now he'd never get the chance.

The Squire blinked hard, rubbing his eyes as he came to a stop light. As he sat there, he found himself peering into the open glove compartment. Lying there with a dull gleam was a 9mm Beretta pistol. Standard issue for cops everywhere, and nearly all that remained of the Cavalier's expansive arsenal. He always used firearms, but only rarely. The Squire used to be amazed by the way the Cavalier would fire one shot and disarm an entire group of thugs before he began tossing them over his shoulder. He had never allowed the Squire to use a gun. 'You aren't ready to bear this weight yet, kiddo' he'd say.

Yeah, well, you're not here to stop me now, old man. Not anymore.

A horn blared behind him and the Squire jumped, raising a finger in apology and glancing in the rear-view mirror as he accelerated through the green light. He was on his way to the wreckage of the Owl Club. He had heard some rumors, but wasn't really sure if they were trustworthy yet. Plus, he hadn't been to the crime scene since that night. He got back to the family scrapyard in a stolen car, ditched it and grabbed the best-working hunk of junk in the place before he high-tailed it. He'd been sleeping in the car since then, never in the same place. He had been putting off coming back, but it had been long enough. The Squire knew there were others out there, and the Owl Club was the only connection they all had. They might know more than he did, and it was about time he got up to speed.
OOC wrote: The Squire is going to stakeout the crime scene, see who comes and goes. Looking for the other sidekicks, suspicious characters, etc. I'd imagine the validity of those rumors he had heard will depend on the result of a Knowledge: Streetwise or Gather Information check? Also is it daytime/nighttime, what are we lookin' at?

FuzzyBoots
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm

Re: Iron City Sidekicks (IC)

Post by FuzzyBoots » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:00 am

June 13th, 2014, 1:31 AM - Owl's Club

After the shocking events of the week before, West Homestead is almost eerily peaceful. Off in the distance, the bright lights of the Waterfront blaze on with the usual Saturday evening crowd, a more wholesome lot on the whole than one might find in the Southside or Wilkinsburg, but 8th street is almost deserted in the area of the wreckage of the Owls Nest, Nest #1538. The site is still encircled with drooping yellow caution tape, but there's no longer a police posting — they have more important things to do than to guard the site of an unfortunate industrial accident. The Squire maintains his vigil. He's had to move several times in the day to avoid scrutiny, but no one's bothered him. One of the times that he returned, he saw what looked like it might be an electrician adjusting wires on an adjacent building, but they'd left some time ago. Now, in the wee hours of the morning, he's finding that the coffee and sandwiches are proving inadequate to keep his flagging attention going and he's finding himself fighting yawns, his view of the wreckage occasionally interrupted by long blinks as his body forced him into micronaps. During one of those blinks, a shadowy figure moves into the wreckage, unseen by him. Still, something buzzes faintly in the back of his head, an idea that there might be something up.

Within ruins, The White Rabbit is faced with what might be an excess of evidence, or might just be the mess of an exploded building. The initial explosion, and the subsequent rainfall, not uncommon in Pittsburgh, particularly by the river, has washed away much of the forensic evidence and she quickly finds that the fixtures that haven't been salvaged by the owners of the building seem to have been picked over by human scavengers. She spots the glint of a broken hack-saw blade in what was likely formerly the kitchen area, contrasting against the glint of edges of recently severed copper pipes. Copper was popular because it was easy to cut through and fetched a good price at recycling centers. Still, that was unlikely to lead her anywhere on the trail to what happened to her father. The building had not been a large one, and it doesn't take long to map things out. The bar, the kitchen, the janitor's closet... it did lead to a question. Where exactly had her father met with the others? Except for the janitor's closet, all of the rooms had at least one window or door to the outside. It just didn't seem clandestine enough.

Jolt's monitoring of his camera was done with a degree more of comfort than The Squire's surveillence albeit a much narrower and less clear world-view. Bereft of his usual supplies, he'd been forced to resort to a cheap webcam, bought at a local pawnshop that billed itself as a used electronics shop, attached to a cheap Arduino chipboard and tapping into an unsecured wi-fi connection, likely from a house nearby. The image was blurry, prone to artefacting, and updated at less than a fluid framerate, but the IR LEDs did allow him to see in low light. He alternated checking on the picture with trolling through message boards that occasionally catered to more criminal activities. He was coming up largely dry for large amounts of explosives. There were a number of people selling illegal firecrackers, and one fellow who was trying to sell some detcord, but things were otherwise quiet. He was about to close the browser and return to watching the phone more intently when a search agent he had running on some pilfered database data from EBay came up with a match, some guy who'd tried to list blasting caps under "home improvement", claiming it was for stump removal, but had had his listing removed. It would normally seem to be nothing, some schlub who hadn't read the terms of service, but the phrasing was odd, seemingly unconcerned with whether anyone would respond, and he'd actually pulled his listing a good minute before EBay had contacted him to say that they were removing his entry. It had faint earmarks of a coded message, but without the phrasebook, it was nearly impossible to determine what was being said. The IP address was not directly informative, being part of a block that the city had reserved for their downtown public wi-fi, but it did give you a general location of being somewhere in the vicinity of Market Square, and you now have a few possible leads on places to find explosives in town.
OOC wrote:Based on the rolls and the timing, I figure there's a decent chance that The Squire would have seen some tail end of the planting of the camera, but nothing definite. Similarly, The White Rabbit had a Stealth roll that beat his Notice check. The White Rabbit can search the area again if you want to try to get past your prior roll.

For Jolt, you don't see anything at the moment, but you do have a few leads on explosives. You have some potential options in terms of trying to contact them, or trying to find more details. Do let me know how open your inquiries are.
June 13th, 2014, 12:17 AM - Order of Mercy McKeesport

La Calavera easily finds via the newspapers that the victims had been transported to the McKeesport branch of the Order of Mercy. Making her way into the hospital proper isn't terribly difficult. There are always access doors that get propped open for easy ingress after a snatched smoke break, and a pilfered set of scrubs rendered her ccompletely anonymous in her approach. It doesn't take long before she's crouched by the drawers and matching up the numbers with the records. The woman who had been struck had been claimed by her relatives, Louise Feltzer, age 33. The homeless man had not been claimed, and was in one of the drawers here. Slowly drawing out the drawer reveals the scrubbed corpse of what looks to be a caucasian man in his 50s. He looks peaceful, almost sleeping.
OOC wrote:Can I get a Search roll if you're looking more intently? And what exactly are you looking for?

User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 730
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: Iron City Sidekicks (IC)

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:00 am

Bethany muttered her frustration under her breath, partly berating her own lack of investigative training and her father for never telling her anything really important. She still had time she could burn by looking around in hopes of scrounging up something, anything, though first impressions were there was nothing important left to even be found. However, she had to wonder where did they even hold their meetings. She also doesn't believe their bodies were even recovered...

Suppressing a shudder over the thought that she could be walking over Top Hat's unmarked grave, the hero-less sidekick prepared herself for a second pass. This time she kept an eye out on her wider surroundings as a whole, on the off chance she might spy anyone keeping tabs on the location. Friendly or otherwise.
Search: 19

Notice: 31
Hey look, good rolls! :)
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!

T0DOSKER
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:03 am
Location: Chicago, IL (more or less)

Re: Iron City Sidekicks (IC)

Post by T0DOSKER » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:19 am

The Squire
Condition: Normal
HP: 1 - LP: 0

The Cavalier always used to make the best coffee. Couldn't stand the store-bought stuff, so he imported the beans and brewed them himself in some expensive brewery kit. He'd do stuff like that every now and then, some eccentric purpose that reminded Gavin that the guy was rich. He wore the same shoes for such a long time that his toes started poking through the front and he squeaked when he walked, but he absolutely refused to settle on his coffee. "A man needs his coffee, Possidente," he used to say. "If you don't start the day with excellence, why start it at all?"

In a terrifying second, the feeling of falling encompassed the Squire before he caught himself from smashing his head on the steering wheel and setting off a blare of the horn. He sighed, blinking his eyes deliberately as if his frustration with himself would be enough to stay awake. Without taking his eyes off the wreckage of the Owl's Nest, he reached into the passenger side cup holder and grabbed a cup. Empty. He swore and reached for thermos on the passenger seat only to find it just as empty as his cup. He looked at it dejectedly before throwing it back on the seat and plopping back against the driver's seat. He found his eyes resting on the empty driver's side cup holder.

Maybe it was just the caffeine, or even some kind of tinnitus from the explosion, but the Squire couldn't shake this buzzing in the back of his head. SOMETHING was going on, but for the life of him he couldn't pin down just what it might be.

Was it the electrician? Na, just some dude doing his job. Gotta be something else...

"Fuck it," he declared to himself after a moment, grabbing the gun from the glove box and slipping it into the waistband of his pants. He looked around the streets as he did, scanning for prying eyes. Deciding that the coast was sufficiently clear (or IS it, GM?!), the Squire popped open the door of the car and stepped out onto the street.

As discreetly as he could, the Squire moved across the street towards the nest. He'd waited long enough for someone to show, or for something to happen, he wasn't sure with. The fact was that he had yet to go inside, had yet to see the place that had been his mentor's grave. Even if he didn't find anything inside, the Squire felt like he owed the Cavalier that much; to see the place that the man died while his partner was waiting outside in the car.

At least it'll keep me awake. I'm out of coffee, and falling asleep inside that damned car won't get me anywhere.
OOC wrote:The Squire would probably have no reason to suspect the rando dude working on a different building, so he's not really worried about our friend yet. He is, however, concerned about that damned buzzing. Impulsive as ever, he's just gonna roll up to the ruins and see what's what. For clarity's sake, he's wearing his uniform: suit with gloves, a fedora, and a domino mask.

Notice: 1D20+9 = [13]+9 = 22
Stealth: 1D20+9 = [15]+9 = 24

User avatar
MissRo
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:18 am
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

Re: Iron City Sidekicks (IC)

Post by MissRo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:57 pm

La Calavera
Condition: Normal
HP: 1 - LP: 0

La Calavera made note of the dead woman's name, and took a minuite to commit the homeless man's face to memory. It was very likely they were just what they said they were; unfortunate bystanders. Collateral damage. She wanted to make sure she was covering all her bases, though, and there was a possibility that these deaths were more connected to the explosion at the Order of Owls then it seemed on the surface.

The corpse on the table didn't disturb her. Death was the only possible outcome of life, after all, a fact that she'd learned that a long time ago. However, now face to face with it again, she found herself unable to stop thinking about Santa Muerte. 'Did they scrub you, I wonder? Was there enough of you left to scrub?' She found her heart beat rising in her ears... her fists had balled tightly. Why anger? Who am I mad at?

She slid the drawer closed, then glanced around the room. If Santa Muerte, or any part of her, had come through here, there had to be a record somewhere...

OOC: La Calavera's logic is that if any remains (Santa Muerte's, for example) were pulled from the wreckage of the Order of Owls, they'd have been brought to this hospital as well. She's looking for any records of that.

Search Check: 1D20+12 = [2]+12 = 14

But ballsed her roll.
"In times of crisis, it is of utmost importance not to lose one's head." - M. Antoinette

User avatar
Camus
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Jolt

Post by Camus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:21 am

A "hump" accompanied by a convulsion of Jolt's shoulder, what he calls his "I-got-you laugh", was what the discovery of the concealed message on eaby prompted. He had cracked his knuckles before having his hands over the keyboard tracking the sources and the addresses, thinking he was onto something big. Hours and some beers later, he only had a general IP address of a block of the city that he knew the perpetrators would have likely abandoned long since the events at the Owl's nest. Not much. Still there were a few places he could check out. Later that is, the sellers weren't going anywhere tonight.
Right click, switch tabs to the surveillance camera. Nothing, he rolled his eyes at the screen, before getting up from the array of pillows scattered in the floor that made up his bed-table-desk. A blanket fell from his shoulders as if responding to the will of a magician, crumpling at his feet. Scratching his belly, he grabbed another beer from the fridge. Omniman would look down on him drinking during a stakeout. He chuckled. "You are not here anymore, old fart, stop messing with me head already..." Jolt proclaimed to no one in particular, before uncapping the beer and taking a sip. "...and give me some clues, damn..." he added in a mutter, before returning to his computer. As he settled in front of it and pulled the blanket over his shoulders, his eyes opened wide as he spotted a feminine silhouette rummaging through the dervies. Operating the camera controls he swivelled the lens to pan the area, to see who else was there. He thought he saw someone move in the darkness, but was not sure. Perhaps it was an artifact... It was better to make sure. Leaving the beer in the floor, he sprinted into action, donning his suit and grabbing his trinkets, before climbing up the stairs of the apartment where he was living. It was a few blocks away, and a little rooftop sprinting was exactly what Jolt needed to clear his head from the booze.

Notice 24 should notice our stage magician alright, and also Squire, at least marginally so to know there is activity in the site. Computers [ur=http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.p ... id=173407l]24[/url] to control the camera silently enough.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ

FuzzyBoots
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm

Re: Iron City Sidekicks (IC)

Post by FuzzyBoots » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:27 am

Top Hat

Far off, Bethany could hear the sound of a boat's horn sounding as it traveled down the Monongahela River, probably a barge making use of the relatively empty waters to push a load of coal, or perhaps a trash barge. Either way, it was a distraction. Settling into a more organized search pattern, she illuminated the debris of the building with short bursts of light from her flashlight, using the intermittent flashes both to decrease her profile to watchers and to make her brain focus on discrete areas instead of skimming across. One burst causes her to pause and then rescan the area. Down in the debris, she sees what might be a handle set in the floor, maybe to a door in the floor? Meanwhile, a quiet scuffling sound heralds someone's approach.
OOC wrote:An attempt to open the hatch finds it not budging, although the reason is not immediately obvious. Your choice as to whether you plan to hide or not.
The Squire

As The Squire approaches the ruined building, he sees the occasional flash of light, not quite random, and unlikely to be the result of streetlights flashing on the metal within, particularly given they continue even when he stands still. Someone else has gotten to the scene ahead of him. Slowing his movements to reduce noise, he walks toward the building, his caffeinated nerves conjuring up humanoid figures before his brain catches up and parses the irregular shadows.

Jolt

The blood begins to race in you, burning away the minor buzz of the alcohol, as you climb the stairs to rooftop access. The night air is slightly chilly on your skin as you open the door, revealing the night sky. Compared to the quiet of your hidey-hole, the outside is startling loud for a moment, a far-off bellow of a foghorn from some barge on the river, a muted clink in the distance that sounds like a bag full of glass bottles, the grumble of a car starting up. It feels good to be out again, doing something. It was getting stuffy in that room, but outside, the air is full of potential life. You set out across the rooftops. Here, on Eighth Avenue, the buildings squat in a sullen row, nothing rising above a third story, and many aspiring to little more than two, but it's high enough to evade casual looks. No one ever looks up. A quick catlike scramble up the fire escape up the side of the Young Preservationists Association building with its curious moose-head wall decorations brings you up high enough to see the blast site. A quick sprint across the rooftop followed by a vertigo-inducing leap over an icy-filled alley lands you on the top of Yvette's on Eighth where you absorb the landing with a roll and continue your momentum into a run. Outside the bar, you know that it still advertises Yvette's birthday party, the sign not changed for several years after a midnight kitchen fire shuttered the bar. All too soon, you're out of buildings. with West St. separating you from a lot with an old-fashioned railcar. a memorial to steelworkers who had been caught in the Great Inversion. Past that, the next lot is the rubble of what used to be the Owl's Club.
OOC wrote:I'm going to let T0DOSKER and Dr. Malsyn advance their scene for a post or so so that you better know what you see.
La Calavera

As you riffle through the records, you find little that sheds light on what exactly happened at the Owl's Club, no records that match your mentor. Then, you encounter a small plastic bag, misfiled, labeled with a number that matches the homeless man's corpse, apparently containing the contents of one of his pockets. The creak of the door to the morgue startles you as you stuff the bag in your pouch. A cautious glance shows a security guard, scanning the room with his flashlight.
"Negative on the intruder," he says to a microphone on his shoulder, "Everything's pretty dead in there." He chuckled briefly before shivering. "They make this place so damn cold... kind of spooky this time of night too." His shoes echo along the tile as he walks toward the drawers, playing his beam over the room. "I'm just going to do a quick search of the room. Probably some janitor dropped in here for a cigarette, gone by now." Counter to his words, he walks directly to one of the desk chairs and plops himself down. He pulls a battered white packet from one of his pockets and extracts a cigarette.
"Damn right someone's smoking there..." he muttered, "I've earned this."

He's not exactly a paragon of vigilance, but his field of view does currently include the exit. He's probably more alert for the sound of someone approaching the room than attempting to hear anything within.

User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 730
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: Iron City Sidekicks (IC)

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:44 am

White Rabbit
Status: Normal
HP: 1
---

The white rabbit quickly bolts to the side as if on instinct, her flashlight slipping into one of her many hidden pockets. A homeless man looking for scrap to sell perhaps? Maybe. Or maybe someone more dangerous. She'd have to wait and see who it is first before she tried anything else.

The young magician slips further into the shadows... (15) But a lone shard of glass nullifies her silent departure.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!

User avatar
MissRo
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:18 am
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

Re: Iron City Sidekicks (IC)

Post by MissRo » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:34 pm

La Calavera
Condition: Normal
HP: 1 - LP: 0

La Calavera watched and waited for a few moments, allowing fate time to offer the unlucky schlub a way out of this before she had to deal with him. No rent-a-cop was going to impede her investigation. She didn't go out looking for conflict with civilians, but sometimes it was unavoidable. The right and/or wrong of it was of no concern to her; it was simply a fact of their crusade. Maybe just her crusade now.

She emerged from the shadows, silent as death itself. The skull pattern emblazoned on her face showed through the dim light.

"Think about how much they're paying you for this shit before you touch that radio, pendejo."

She moved towards him and, more importantly, the door.

"I wouldn't want these to become more long-term surroundings for you."

OOC: Intimidate Check: 1D20+15 = [19]+15 = 34
"In times of crisis, it is of utmost importance not to lose one's head." - M. Antoinette

User avatar
Camus
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Jolt

Post by Camus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:58 pm

Jolt walks around the perimeter of the Owls nest remains, intent in getting a good picture of what his camera caught. It is hard with the flickering lights of the street, the playful moonlight, and the shades projected be the clouds. Luckily for him he had that old infrared goggle lens, He adjusted it onto his normal goggles and takes a look at the scene.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ

Post Reply