Falling Rocks, 3E, recruiting

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Spectrum

Falling Rocks, 3E, recruiting

Post by Spectrum »

Across the world, every television, every radio, every phone, every receiver turns to static.

It returns with the face of a man the entire world knows all too well. The Jade Emperor, ruthless leader of a small rogue Southeast Asian nation. Heroes have struggled against him since the New Age of Heroes began. At best it has been a stalemate, neither side overcoming the other, only to return to the ongoing war once more. Yet he is also known as an honorable man, willing to stand by his word and deed.

"People of the Earth, greetings to you all. I come to you not as a foe, but instead offer the hand of friendship. My network of sensors has detected an extrasolar object hurtling towards our common planet and will be arriving within the next 180 days. This deathbringer is larger than the one that ended the long forgotten age of the saurians. I, we, cannot allow that to happen again. I am the only one capable of dealing with this. I am the only one with a plan. Stand with me and be saved. If you do not prepared to be lost to the ages. Your countries have twenty four hours to surrender to me. Urge them to show wisdom." His confidence shows no question to this. He alone knows the path to salvation.

The screens return to normal.

Howdy!

I'm looking for a handful of players to tell the story with me, probably multiple parallel stories. I'm not going to be particularly picky about PLs or pps. I am looking for inspiring stories that we can tell together. I'm hoping for some cooperative world building in that direction too. No one character will have all the answers.

A few ideas to start from:

A high power hero that can't solve the problem alone but can be a huge part of the greater plan.

A street level hero that is working to stabilize their part of the world.

A villain that is trying to take advantage of the situation for their own nihilistic desires.

A villain that is trying to work towards the common good- after all, they live here too.

Questions? Comments? I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Spectrum wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:35 pm I've been more looking for a more cooperative story. Since there will be several parallel stories, I'm not really concerned about power levels. That said, I'd like to see the characters between PLs 8 and 12. PL 8 being more street level characters. PL 12 being more of the Justice League level characters. But that just describes the depth of the character. Characters could be more wider, having more pp per PL than normal. That also means that I don't need to have a lot of house rules on costs. This also puts extra responsibility on you guys to create a character that is narratively interesting without going too OP.

A rough guess is that:
The crew of the Solera is probably PL 9 and 10.
Otter- You concentrated on character rather than power (thank you!) but I'm guessing anywhere from 8- 11?
Silverfang-8-11 depending on how much power is in the character rather than the organization. Is he a relatively normal person that holds great power over a secret organization or is he an individual threat against superheroes?
Shock- lower or equal to Silverfang? As presented, she's very much a rookie with potential to become much greater.
Prodigy- 10? 11?

Setting- again, what settings make the most sense for your characters? Anywhere in the world is to your pick. There might be parallel worlds? Atlantis probably exists. Gorilla City? Subterannea? I was thinking of having the crew of the Solera start out in South America or Africa (yes, I know there is a variable number of continents depending on who you talk to..) protecting a small tribe from the future. Is the story for your character make more sense on a neighborhood? city? state? national? world wide? area? This is also tied into the PL thoughts above.

Hopefully this makes sense. Questions are our friends. :)
Last edited by Spectrum on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Camus

Re: Falling Rocks, 3E, recruiting

Post by Camus »

I like it. I would be up for playing some repented villain.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

A curious idea, I could give this a shot.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Thanks guys!

Camus- any thoughts yet as to a theme? What kind of scope of your previous threat (neighborhood, city, country, world?)? Do you have an associated super hero or as Jab would put it, were you a journeyman villain?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

You know, I've had an idea for an invulnerable hero in the vein of Achiles for awhile, and a story about stopping a meteor rather then a supervillian could be the type of story for him. Being night invulnerable doesn't exactly help when you still need a planet to stand on after all. What do you think Spectrum?
------------
Camus

Post by Camus »

Allow me to shoot you this, then you tel me if you like it. I can always come up with something different if this doesn't suit your fancy.
The character is the leader of a secret evil society, but has a change of heart when his ach nemesis decides to sacrifice his life to save him. After that the secret society turns against him thinking he has gone soft and betrayed them. Now he has no where to run, the heroes think he killed his arch nemesis and the villains think he betrayed them.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Thokk_Smash

Post by Thokk_Smash »

I'd like to post interest! Here's my pitch:

My character is a "villain" in that the governments of the world don't much care for him. He doesn't care about international borders, he doesn't care about treaties or stuff like that. What he does like is ADVENTURING. He fancies himself a modern-day pirate and has collected a small crew of similarly-minded folks with goals of their own. I'm imagining him and his crew as being fairly powerful, but obviously not nearly capable of stopping a meteor by themselves. But they can cause a ton of trouble for the Jade Emperor to keep him preoccupied while the world tries to gather its wits and decide what to do about it.

((I will readily admit that this idea is shamelessly based on One Piece and Luffy, just throwing that out there XD ))
Shock

Post by Shock »

I am tentatively interested. I had a villain idea first but it looks like there's a lot of those already. So here's my second idea.
Camus wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:05 pm Allow me to shoot you this, then you tel me if you like it. I can always come up with something different if this doesn't suit your fancy.
The character is the leader of a secret evil society, but has a change of heart when his ach nemesis decides to sacrifice his life to save him. After that the secret society turns against him thinking he has gone soft and betrayed them. Now he has no where to run, the heroes think he killed his arch nemesis and the villains think he betrayed them.
Camus, suppose this hero that sacrificed his life had a sidekick...
Camus

Post by Camus »

Shock wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:47 am I am tentatively interested. I had a villain idea first but it looks like there's a lot of those already. So here's my second idea.
Camus wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:05 pm Allow me to shoot you this, then you tel me if you like it. I can always come up with something different if this doesn't suit your fancy.
Camus, suppose this hero that sacrificed his life had a sidekick...
Thats very intriguing!
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Lots of cool ideas so far!

Camus/Shock- I like this interplay. Tell me about your hero? Camus- what kind of 'secret society' did you belong to? COBRA? Hellfire Club? The idea of the superhero being around at the start of the series is kinda interesting too.

Malsyn- So indestructible and.. what? :) What about this character inspires cool stories? What would you like to do with them? Who is their supporting cast?

Thokk- On one hand, Airship Pirates (whether Abney Park, Tailspin or Jim Butcher) are awesome! On the other hand, how would you spin them into a modern setting? Tell me about your ship and crew?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Eh.
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------
Thokk_Smash

Post by Thokk_Smash »

These are the ideas I've been throwing around in my head since you posted:

The Jade Emperor must be powerful on his own, to rule a nation of his own power. However, men like that tend to seek ever more power as well. The core crew members of my character's crew, then, are all men and women who were experimented on in the Jade Emperor's empire. They were early experiments, when the results weren't as predictable or controllable. My character was able to bring together around a half-dozen or so victims and inspire/encourage them to work together to break out.

Of course, they'd have been remiss to not steal some advanced technology. One, of course, is anti-gravity technology to allow for flying pirate ships. One could also be technology to allow for an "Atlantis under the sea" type thing that allows for a mobile city under the sea. Because even in the New Age of Heroes, with people looking to the stars--the sea is truly the last undiscovered frontier on the planet. So what better place to have adventures than in the deep sea?

So the crew would disappear under the ocean for months on end, and then their ship would reappear somewhere nowhere near where they'd last been spotted. Through the years they gather allies, both personal friends and political, and eventually they create a community of misfits and lost folks who had no other place to call home. I think it'd be awesome if, like I mentioned above, some sort of mobile underwater community that the combined technologically-inclined crew members worked together to create. It being pulled along by some sea monster that the crew befriended would be icing on the top, too, haha.

In brief, because it's late and I'll expand on these later:

The flagship is the Solara, a sleek masterpiece of wood and metal that is somehow leagues more durable than any ironside ship around. Its framework is the original ship they'd built, but has been improved upon tremendously since then. It is fully capable of flight, though due to its size and bulk it is not very graceful; and if the need or desire arises, it is able to project a psychic bubble around it that traps in air to allow for deep sea exploration. The crew consider it to be a crew member in its own right.

The captain, tentative name Rekin, is a lanky guy with a perpetual smile. The experiments left him with a body turned into a rubbery substance. His defining characteristic is his indomitable spirit and magnetic personality (that's two characteristics, but being good at math isn't one of them, so it's fine). He's the one who gathered the victims of the experiments to break out and rise above--because his room/prison cell had a window to outside, and it made him want to see more.

The mechanic/navigator of the crew is tentatively named Mila, and her experimentation left her with a mind and body that experience time at a much different rate than others. To her, the world is just so slow because of how fast she processes information and how fast her body can react to that information. She can get a day's work done in an hour, assuming that work isn't dependent on time going by for one reason or another. She follows Rekin because he was the first person in her life to try to connect with her at all, even through her irritability and frustration at the world being too slow for her. She wants to make a detailed map of the Earth's seas, considering it both worthwhile and something that even her sped-up mind will take awhile to do.

The de facto First Mate is Zabim (again, tentative name), and he is just a beast of a man. Strong as an ox and a body like steel even before the experiments, he is probably one of the strongest men alive, and by far the most durable. The crew's doctor says he lost over half of his body's blood supply in a fight once--he was back on deck the next day, singing and dancing their victory. He was a volunteer for the experiments, actually, but lost faith in the Emperor after being seemingly abandoned with no regard. He wallowed in despair until Rekin gave him the hope of escape and the promise of freedom. Since their escape he's been mostly passive, not really proclaiming specific goals outside of following the crew; he has his foibles, but for the most part he keeps the crew steady despite Rekin's chaotic nature. But with the meteor and the Jade Emperor's ultimatum, he probably wouldn't mind some old-fashioned revenge against the man who betrayed his trust.

It's really late, so I'll have to leave it there for now. Having written it out, I should probably flesh out Rekin more since he's the PC I want to play. But that's for a later date.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Well, that's certainly for more in depth and interesting then the little blubs I came up with. I can see them in the own series easily, and not just because they already were. ;)
by far the most durable
I have a feeling that Mark would be willing to challenge him on that statement... :D
------------
Camus

Post by Camus »

Well as far as my character is concerned my idea was a martial artist with some mystical spin. The secret society he was a leader of deal mainly with espionage information control and behind the scene manipulation. I picture his nemesis as another martial artist which will give the interactions between them some Ninja battles sort of air, like fighting on rooftops, moving incredibly fast, that sort of thing.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Thokk_Smash

Post by Thokk_Smash »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:19 am Well, that's certainly for more in depth and interesting then the little blubs I came up with. I can see them in the own series easily, and not just because they already were. ;)
by far the most durable
I have a feeling that Mark would be willing to challenge him on that statement... :D
Hey, now, there's no way you could guess who they're based o--looks back at my first post er, I mean, well... :D

Heheh, I'm sure there'll be ample opportunities for them to test their durability against each other. (Though to be fair, I shouldn't have said he has a body like steel. His durability is more along the lines of "I keep stabbing this guy and he won't die even when he's literally lost all his blood", rather than Achilles' Nigh Invulnerability, so it's a different kinda thing)