Infinite New Vindicators Return (M&M 2e IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Michuru

Re: Infinite New Vindicators Return (M&M 2e IC)

Post by Michuru »

LLUVIA / Gaspar Zorrilla e Higueras
HP: 1 / Condition: -

Gaspar was on his feet and almost left the television in search of Merle or Rebecca--if Merle couldn't do it--when it hit him that he had no idea where this scene was unfolding. The instant he knew where he was going, he took off at a run, calling for Merle.

God, he hoped he found Merle. Rebecca was nice--a little aloof and a lot weird--but she came with a sidekick: David. He didn't necessarily mind David and he certainly did not want to piss off anyone who could turn into a tyrannosaurus rex. Still, Gaspar didn't want to deal with him being so over-protective of the girl.

He hadn't needed her to do anything more than open a portal for him, but when she decided to throw herself into doing more, that turned into David chastising him. He could only imagine this would turn into a similar experience.

"Merle!" he called as he continued to dart across the school grounds. "MERLE!"
NVAE Setting - VP: 5
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Anton-

"Know me?" The girl says with a wry grin. "No, not really...but you did hit me."

Her eyes flared with black fire and armor of black fire flowed over her including a helm with horns reminiscent of Maleficent. Then her eyes returned to normal and the armor flickered out like a candle flame in the wind.

"Now do you recognize me? My name is Allegra San Sebastian, though around here they call me Damnation Allie. Even with our connections it took the Network a few weeks to figure out your schedule so I could get some private time with you."

Pulling a pack of gum out of her pocket, she took a piece for herself, then offered the pack to Anton. "I promise, I'm not here to fight you or anything...just to talk. Gum?"

Francis-

Reaching out with his powers, Francis is able to determine the police broadcast is coming from the western side of the city, further inland.

While it's a bit early in the morning for the office to be bustling, Francis is pretty certain the Headmaster was a morning person. On the rare occasions he'd been up early he'd seen Headmaster Importuna up and about, already dressed in one of his crisply pressed suits. Sometimes the Headmaster was just sitting on a bench reading the paper, drinking coffee and other times he was strolling about the campus speaking with Mr. Avilles...a Mr. Avilles anyway. The schools' Cook/Custodian/Maintenance man was a Neo-Sapian with the ability to duplicate himself, so it was difficult to tell if you were ever speaking with the original or a copy.

It didn't appear that the police had identified the student they'd found yet, so no phone call had been made, so it was possible Francis could inform the administrators before the authorities did.

David-

Back in Rebecca's room, David retrieves the brooch and takes a close look at it under the desk lamp. It was a single, large blood red ruby set in a silver circle. The silver circle had intricate scrollwork and filigree. The pinning mechanism was old fashioned, using a straight pin to feed through two holes in the brooch. It was the kind of thing no modern jeweler would do because putting the pin on a hinge would insure against loss. There was also words in Latin engraved into back side of the brooch and what looked like Italian inlaid in gold lettering around the ruby. David didn't have his parents' skill but he would bet it was some sort of motto.

As to the age...David could only guess. A master jeweler could probably date it properly or a suitably knowledgeable Anthropologist or Archeologist or maybe even an Art Historian given the quality of the workmanship, but David was none of those things. Mrs Valdez was the school Art instructor, but it was questionable as to whether her education would be sufficient to cover this.

Gaspar & Merle-

Gaspar had dashed all over campus, earning him questioning looks from a great many students. Finally a kid he didn't know ... big surprise there told him that he thought he saw Merle heading for the cafeteria. It made sense. Gaspar had gotten so riled by the morning newscast, he'd neglected breakfast. Merle apparently had not.

Merle was sitting down with his heaping plate of food served to him by one of the Mr. Avilles' (there were currently three of them working in the kitchen being assisted by two of his son, Ernesto). He had to tuck into his plate with gusto, not just because he was practically hypoglycemic, but experience had to taught him that if he wanted to finish a meal, he had to dig in like a soldier. Sure enough, he'd gotten about 2/3 finished with his meal when he saw Gaspar come sliding into the cafeteria like Tom Cruise in Risky Business, with the exception that the Spaniard had pants and shoes on.

The pair locked gazes and Gaspar started straight toward him. Merle began shoveling food in his mouth double time.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Prehistoric (David Gordon)
HP:2

First thing David did was take some close-up pictures of the brooch. He might not be able to show it to other people first-hand and he'd need the pictures for study. Next, he Googled the phrase on the back to get a translation. He wracked his brain to identify the source but couldn't place it. Then he sent a picture of the inscription to his mother with the simple explanation that he'd found it while out on a day trip. Then he returned the jewel to its place and went to the library to do some research.
Just in case:
Knowledge History check: 1d20+9 12 Well that's useless
What kind of roll to make for library research? Can I take 20?
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

David-

After sending the picture of the brooch along with a text asking for input to his mother, David googles the inscription on the back of the jewelry.

Aut Cesare, aut nihil...Either a Caesar or nothing.

It definitely read like some sort of motto, but he'd be damned if he knew of what organization or family. This was going to take longer than the average google search to run this down. Then on his way to the campus library he got a text back from his mom.

David...this jewelry is a bit too modern to be in my wheelhouse. Best guess? 15th or 16th century Italian. You found this on a walk? Where? Report it to the authorities. Even from the photos I can tell it's a valuable piece.

BTW, the inscription translates as..."A pearl on this Earth". My Italian isn't great, but between me and your dad we managed to figure it out. Be careful, artifact thieves can be dangerous.

Love you.

EDIT> And just a quick FYI, both inscriptions are historically accurate to a famous family and paired together identify a particular member of hat family...though the jewelry itself is something I made up. So it's very possible you could figure this out without any dice rolling, which is cool by me if David guesses...after all, that will only lead further down the rabbit hole. :)
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Anton "Carnudo" Villiam
HP: 2
Condition: Normal

At the sight of the strange girl covering herself in black flame Ant took several steps backwards in surprise knocking over a stack of free weights, yes he now did recognise her and she was one of the last people he expected to see at the school much less the gym.
Allegra wrote: "Now do you recognize me? My name is Allegra San Sebastian, though around here they call me Damnation Allie. Even with our connections it took the Network a few weeks to figure out your schedule so I could get some private time with you."
Trying to regain his composure Ant muttered "I didn't hit you ... just pushed you out of the way."

Deciding to leave picking up the fallen weights until later Ant accepted the gum Allegra offered.

"Thanks .. what do you want to talk about?"
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

"Merle!" Gaspar exclaimed. He hurried across the room, oblivious to how he looked to everyone else. "News take alive on me and the her to need is you to Eve and I!"

"I mean, Eve is alive and on the news and I need you take to me to her!"
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Merle Tremblay
HP: 1 LP:1 Condition: Normal

Merle would have swore when he saw Gaspar.

It wasn't that he didn't like Gaspar. It was that trouble followed the Spaniard like a storm cloud. Which also often followed him.
And Merle just wanted a quiet day for a change.
Michuru wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:01 pm "Merle!" Gaspar exclaimed. He hurried across the room, oblivious to how he looked to everyone else. "News take alive on me and the her to need is you to Eve and I!"
Oh good, he thought, Gaspar has finally lost his mind.

He gave Gaspar the best annoyed stare he could hoping to startle the man into silence. The whole effect was likely ruined by his attempts to shove as much of his breakfast into his mouth as he could before he inevitably got involved in god only knew what.
Michuru wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:01 pm"I mean, Eve is alive and on the news and I need you take to me to her!"
Merle would have sighed, but was forced to swallow instead. With a big amount of reluctance of he set his plate down. He held up a finger and took a quick sip of his tea to chase down his breakfast.

Finally able to speak he asks, "Where?"
Shock

Post by Shock »

Thanks Mom David didn't elaborate on where he'd found it or what he was going to do. A lie by omission was the preferable route there. He spent some time searching for references to the translated phrases and was mystified by what he found. Cesare Borgia was a terrible man and his sister, the 'pearl' the inscription most likely referred to, was at best a pawn in many of his schemes. Like many women of her time, it was hard to tell how much of her actions were her own and how much were forced on her by her family. But regardless, it was a complete mystery how the jewel could have come into Rebecca's possession. If only she'd been able to explain the vision she'd had.

Once he was finished in the library, David would have lunch and then finish out his classes for the day and then see Mr Hertzog to find out what he might be able to share about the Borgia family.
I realize Merle is just having breakfast so I don't want to assume I can fast forward that far ahead
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Cooker
HP: 1

Francis kept looking. He wasn't sure how any of the students could be already that far out, unless they left during the night or... something else.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Anton-

The dark haired girl let Anton settle down a little, then pursed her lips for a moment as if trying to figure out how to properly phrase what she had to say. After a momentary pause, she settled her gaze back on him.

"Mostly I'm here to get to know you. This is a meet and greet of sorts because I'm impressed with you. Ideally I'd like to see if you're Network material and if you'd want to work with us."

"What do you know about us? Or perhaps I should ask, after our encounter what did the administration tell you? I can guarantee it's not accurate."

Francis-

It isn't until Francis has looked all over the academy and widened his search that he finds the Headmaster. Mr. Importuna was coming back from the American School, cutting across the futbol field when he finally found him. The campus was rousing at this point with students from both schools headed to classes or breakfast or whatever their early ritual happened to be. Horacio Importuna seemed to be in no great hurry, which made sense since the police were still...the last time Francis had caught a radio transmission...trying to identify the youth they'd found. Francis had watched enough cop shows to know they'd try to get a handle on his identity if they could, before they approached the school administration.

At the moment, Francis was the only one at the school with any inkling of what had happened...or at least it appeared that way.

David-

Freidrich Hertzog was one of the few instructors at the school who wasn't a SPB. His grandparents had fled Nazi Germany for Argentina after the second World War and had gotten involved in politics there. They managed to smuggle their children in a few years later. Shortly after Freidrich was born in the 1960's Nazi Hunters had caught up with the family and both grandparents were put on trial before the world court at the Hague. His grandfather was given the death penalty for his part in SS war crimes and his grandmother was given a twenty year prison sentence. She died there. Mr. Hertzog made no effort to hide his family's checkered history and was vocally anti-fascist.

"My grandfather would be ashamed of me and for that I am proud." He'd told the class when discussing the Third Reich. He was also equally disparaging of the 4th through 6th Reichs, even though his family had nothing to do with them.

Physically, he fit well within the stereotype one might have for a history teacher. In his mid-50's, he was somewhat overweight, with red hair that was fading in brilliance as more and more gray appeared. He wore his hair short and sported a well groomed beard and walrus mustache, waxed into a curl at the tips. He had wire framed glasses with round lenses and a penchant for sucking on his ornate pipe, even when unlit. Despite the Brazilian heat, his suits were always pressed and he was almost never seen taking off his herring bone jacket with patches on the elbows. He looked every bit the stuffy academian.

He always had time for students though and was popular because he was both patient and jovial. When David found him he was in his office reading, the remains of his lunch pushed to the side, the tray hanging precipitously over the edge of his desk.

Merle & Gaspar-
For the moment this seems like a character discussion, so I'll leave the two of you to it until I'm needed
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Anton "Carnudo" Villiam
HP: 2
Condition: Normal

Starting to realise that she may just be here to chat Ant tried to relax he wasn't exactly helping things by being prickly about something that had happen weeks ago, oh did she just say she was impressed by him.

Without even realising it Ant straighten his back as he considered how to response to Allegra's question.

"To be honest the school didn't really say much about you and the others they were more concerned about the catman. But some of the other students told me that you use to be a student here but dropped out with some other girls. You were all called the Allies and they said you were .. "

Ant couldn't quite say "trouble" as his voice trailed off and he definitely wasn't going to repeat some of the other words used to describe her and Tornado Alliue.
Shock

Post by Shock »

"Ola, Professor Hertzog. I am wondering if you can help me with something." David walked in and put his hand on the chair in front of the teacher's desk. "Rebecca's had a vision and while in... it, she mentioned the name Borgia several times. Based on the contact and some searches, I think she was referring to Lucrezia Borgia, a woman tied to Papal politics a few hundred years ago." He sighed. "I'm at a loss as to how this could possibly be related to the school. Could you offer me any suggestions or someplace else to look?"
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Cooker
HP: 1

Finally! Francis scurried over to the Headmaster. "Headmaster! I'm sorry, but there's something you should know. I just heard on the radio waves that the police have found a dead teen on the west side of the city. They haven't identified the-" Francis swallowed, "-body, but they're already thinking it might be someone from the school."
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

"Where?"

Gaspar told him where they were headed. "Can you get there? Do you need to see it? It was just on the news. We could maybe find the clip if you need to visualize it..."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Merle Tremblay
HP: 1 LP:1 Condition: Normal

Merle pulls out his phone and starts doing an internet search in regards to the news story.

"Going downtown isn't an issue," Merle notes, sneaking another bite of hashbrowns and swallowing before continuing, "But my powers only work on places I've been to personally, so going right to the nightclub is out. I can't teleport to a place I've seen in a picture. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't work."

He fiddled with his phone trying to bring up the article, "Did this happen last night?"