[Interest] An Alternate Marvel Universe

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
StarGuard

[Interest] An Alternate Marvel Universe

Post by StarGuard »

This is JUST a check for interest in a game I am thinking of running. Do NOT submit any builds in this thread. ANY
actual builds submitted in this thread will disqualify those posting from submitting builds if game goes "live" with a [OOC]
thread. If that sounds harsh, I am sorry but I am looking for players a bit more interested in building a good story together,
not dropping in a character they have on the shelf. This game needs characters built to grow as the story evolves. Let me explain.

The campaign is designed to take place in the Marvel Universe, but with a Disney Infinity flavor to lighten the mood a bit.
The story runs concurrent with the Cinema and Netflix stories, but with a subtle twist that will make the player's characters
Icons in their own right as the game proceeds from one story arc to the next. Consider basically everything we have seen on TV
and in the movies as canon realizing there are going to be distinct differences revealed as the game takes place.

I have recieved permission from Thorpacalypse to use his builds for this game. Those charcaters you see will usually be as
built but be ready for some builds to be substituted when I feel a need for the character to work differently. for instance I
could use any generic flying brick build of differing PL for Jessica Jones. Thor will know for testing purposes but the players
wouldn't have a need to know. Please look through Thor's builds current and past to compare hoe your character would fit to scale.
So speaking of how the players characters will start ....

First story arc:
- Characters are going to be PL 9 with 135 PP.
Once the arc is over you will have earned 15 PP total

Second story arc:
- Characters can graduate to PL 10 if they choose using the 15 PP as desired.

Third story arc:
- another 15 PP will have been awarded by the arc's completion again allowing characters to graduate to PL 11.

Players should aspire for their characters to be Icons. Envision yourself as part of a universe just beginning to expand with metas.
Please, NO legacy or mutants origins without prior discussion. Very likely will not approve either but I'm open to at least discuss it.
We won't be dragging your character into the story. If you want to play the reluctant hero, you need to make sure it doesn't
requires others to keep your character interested in the story arc. There will be 4 to 6 players chosen so niches shouldn't be a big
issue, I just ask if there are multiples of a type, that power set and personalities are distinct.

Of course players have to want to continue through each arc and the story coordinator needs to survive the holiday season. Sadly
that's a warning of my employment. I work retail and the holiday seasons will slow me down. On that same line of thought. I will
post in game twice a week. More if I can but players should not expect it. The game need players willing to stay connected to the game pace and generate a vision for their character's growth into an Icon.

This is my first game to GM in years online. I welcome ideas and suggestions. As I tell my associates I'm always willing to "steal" (and give credit) good ideas when they improve ... in this case our story. I would like to hear if there is any interest in a game with these parameters and (very) rough ideas of the kind of characters those interested might want to play. Basic power set, background outline and motivation for being a hero. Your characters Complications are every bit as important as you powers. They really define what makes a character unique in my opinion.
CaptainChaos

Re: [Interest] An Alternate Marvel Universe

Post by CaptainChaos »

I might be interested in this. I tend to enjoy stories that allow characters to grow and evolve both in PL and personality. Right now I can only post from my phone and a 4 year old tablet that works when it wants to. I am shopping for a new laptop to make posting and character creation easier. I am not as well versed in Marvel as I am in DC. I have seen some of the Spiderman films, the 1st Avengers film, all 3 Iron Man films, and the first 2 Captain America films. I have not seen any of the Netflix shows. Is this enough Marvel Universe knowledge?
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

An interesting idea. It's always nice to see games that show character growth. If you're looking to really show growth though you might want to start the PL a little lower. There's not much difference between 9 and 10 or even 11. The Netflix shows are mostly street level heroes, Agents of Shield are even lower. Or do you mean to have more of a hidden powers set of characters that could have helped save New York if they'd have been there?
"Something pithy this way comes."
wulfgar187

Post by wulfgar187 »

Ah a man after my own heart with a story driven super-hero game. I'm highly interested and look forward to seeing where this game goes if it goes anywhere...heck even if I'm not selected I'll be interested enough to read and see what happens.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

You have my interest, though I can't guarantee I'll formally submit.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

You currently have the same game posted on the other board. Do you have any plans on where you plan to run it?
Camus

Post by Camus »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:28 am You currently have the same game posted on the other board. Do you have any plans on where you plan to run it?
My same thought exactly, I already expressed my interest there and I do so here as well, but it would be nice to know. Not having DMed anything in years and then jumping at too much at the same time doesn't look promising from a continuity perspective. (I've done it multiple times and didn't work out as I expected)
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

You will need a passing but not deep MCU or Netflix knowledge to play along. The characters will be assumed to just have acquired powers and/or started their heroic activities recently.

As far as the "double post", both boards have seen some spotty activity in the games with a few exceptions. I'm concerned with finding players who want to help maintain game traction with active character interaction before I decide on a home.

Thoughts on the PL are appreciated but in a game Cap is going to be PL12 starting at PL9 will give characters a feeling of growth ... but I might revisit a start at PL8 before I set things in stone.
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

Interest: Check.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Oh, you have this postex here too! My interest and ideas still stand.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

I just want to clarify, you're looking more for OCs then MCU versions of existing Marvel characters, is that right?
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Yep MissRo. Absolutely looking for characters who are original and fit within the style of the Marvel cinematic universe. Characters who might someday stand beside Thor, Iron-Man, and Captain America as equals.

Thanks Doc. Settling on a home is primarily going to be up to players interested.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I'm interested in the idea of a mystic ectomancer - he sees and speaks with spirits, can empower them to manifest, can call them into himself for personal fighting prowess or skills, or even send them out to harass foes (along with good Occult skill and ritualist).
I like the idea of someone who was studying to control his (very minor) medium ability in Asia who was caught in the (cinematic movie's) time-loop fight for the sanctuary. He died over and over again as Dr. Strange bargained with Dormammu. But unlike everyone else, remembers it. The trauma opened the floodgates of his abilities. Maybe there's a cloud of thousands of unseen souls around him now, constantly chattering, just a hair's breadth from entering him.
Hmmm... I think I like the flavor text that whenever he calls upon or uses a spirit it 'moves on' (whatever that means to the spirit) so I have to be creative in my descriptions.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Right, I think I'll elaborate on what I've been thinking myself.

One idea that I have, is of an Chitauri survivor of the Battle for New York. As one of the few, perhaps only, members of his race to survive their neuralink being severed from the mothership, he fled into the sewers confused and scared. Individuality was a strange and foreign concept for a member of his species, and he missed the voices of his brothers and sisters in battle greatly. Survival was difficult at first, as the recent invasion made the humans extra cautious, but he managed to eek out a meager life for himself living off the scraps and debris of their society.
They would've had to dodge all manner of people for five whole years, from city workers and the homeless all the way to police and the occasional S.H.I.E.L.D. agent following up om rumors of a monster lurking in the shadows. At the same time, what he scavenged and stole from humanity helped to teach and guide him in his slow development into a free thinking alien of his species. It was his last encounter though, with a strange boy in red and blue who swung through the city to chase him away did he finally decided enough was enough. He was done living in the shadows and surviving on rubbish alone because of how the world saw his kind and others like him. It was time to show them that not all aliens are monsters that wished them harm.
Taking his staff in hand, he appeared in broad daylight to use his superior technology and innate ability in defense of the species his people had tried to conquer.

So, quite a few complications there to go on obviously. He'd also e a mid to close range fighter, likely more the latter then the former.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

I admit beauty is only skin deep ... but damn Doc that's just fugly? I like the track you're on though.

Time-loop is a nice draw from the movies.