[Interest] An Alternate Marvel Universe

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: [Interest] An Alternate Marvel Universe

Post by EpicEclipse »

Uncanny wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:09 am @Epic: Wow thanks man I really appreciate all the time you put into post.

this game is deep. there are so many different ways to stat out a power
No worries. I really like M&M but haven't played for a few years. I used to do all kinds of stupid things with this system. Flyn, you've seen some of the crazy shit I've done in the past back on ATT right? (Used to be just EPIC)

Helping with mechanics helps me get back into the game. Like a warm up. :)
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@Epic: reading over the conditions affliction can impart I've decide the spin move will give opponents symptoms of vertigo. so first stage nausea, and second stage vomiting.

I narrowed down my focus so my hero attacks with poison, and afflictions which target opponents senses . So my whip will be infused with vibranium and loud enough to deafen people.

I could use some help with my tech tentacle concept. So far I have a enhanced insight bonus which works on organic lifeforms. I lifted it from a wonder woman build which stated out her lasso.

I plan on building a array around the tentacle power. Most of the powers would be utility based. For example the ability to 'steal' senses from the mind of animals & people, The data would fade rather quickly but it could prove useful for a few rounds. Also the ability to copy poisons from animals, and plants & deliver them through a bite attack.

Also the feature for the tentacle to plug into my heroes two tech device's for more options. The whip+tentacle combo would weaken electronics basically absorbing energy , and fatigue people it came into contact with.

Secondly it would plug into his organic battle armor which give him concealment

So six powers, I've heard it's not good to mix your defense with your movement in a array so I'll leave the mount component as a stand alone.

EDIT: Battle armor isn't the right word for it, It's mainly a helmet which gives him a ton of sense's, and a magnetic belt which redirects projectiles.
Most of his defense will come from keeping distance

EDIT 2: Decided on stealing senses rather then skills, and choose to mimic poisons
Last edited by Uncanny on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I'm not doing too much building until I actually see what StarGuard has in mind for house rules.

Should also point out I did mention the concept I had in mind had a poison-like effect (it's not a chemical-based poison, but a corruption of life energy. Mechanically similar but with a different coat of paint)
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@Epic: you did mention a poison effect, btw your hero reminds me of Gorr the god butcher. That is one of my favorite Thor stories

I could drop the poison aspect. My guy does have a bite attack being partly inspired by killer croc, but I could focus on a 'blindness' effect caused by his bite. It would be fitting with the senses debuffing theme I'm going for.

that drops my array to five. One main power, and four other abilities I'll try to drop one or possibly two more options before the weekend

EDIT fixed some grammar
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Let's see... My alien character isn't great with people. Like, just plain awful and awkward as well. He can barely manage to pronounce human words due to vocal limitations, so he intentionally limits and clips his speech, and he's only been independently sapient for about five years. Hmm... He knows absolutely nothing about humans, their history, or even what's going on right now. Anything mystic is right out. His to attack is actually kinda low, at +6, so that's another thing. So overall, a socially inept tech-head who can maybe kinda fight a bit, but he's not guaranteed to win it all.

Oh, and I will say, that he's almost completely useless against mind control related effects due to the nature of his species. It's far too natural a state for him to really resist.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@Doctor: Our two heroes sorta overlap being tech heads with a alien appearance

I believe star guard said he would allow to heroes of the same archetype if they had different personalities. so my green skinned smart hero will behave similar to Hank McCoy aka Beast from the X-men. A brilliant blue scientist who is a outcast due to his appearance. He will generally have a upbeat down right cheerful attitude. He will quote classic literature, and wear tiny glasses which look ridiculous on his monstrous face.

Sometimes I get a bit carried away with idea's so I'll narrow the focus back down. Limiting myself to a poison bite, a extended whip with neurological nullifying powers, and a tech based tentacle which can interface with nature. Along with devices which enhance his senses and grant conclealment

EDIT; I need to watch the avengers again to see this neural link I've heard mentioned
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:58 am As we think about our shiny new characters please give some thought to all the things our character *can't* do. Really build those in. Give them a reason to join a party and ways to grow (and even then, pick a thing (or 3) you'll never be good at).

My character is going to be a coward (He's died and really doesn't want to do it again). So he's bad at melee, (practically useless if grabbed), no energy attacks, limited in what he can do against non-living things. (At least the current plan for him).

So maybe give that some thought.
Well, assuming my concept doesn't change when we get the crunch, my asgardian won't have any special defenses against environmental hazards besides raw toughness. Lack of reliable long distance mobility and possibly not even medium ranged depending what ends up being built in. Bit of a cop-out to say "limited social skills due to cultural difference". Thor got on just fine, and while my character would be coming out of a bad situation and Thor is an exceptionally jovial type, it has little to do with adapting culturally. I think Mechanically range is is going to be the stumbling point for my character, capping out at having like 30ish feet of reach, so being pelted with projectiles will be a thing that is difficult to deal with without stunts or objects to throw.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

*looks at the crunchy rules*

So I have a few questions.
For dexterity, the large reason it's so bad is no skills really use it outside of ranged combat, sooooo... what skills are applicable there?

For presence, the single non-combat presence skill is diplomacy so there are no real options there either, unless there was something else you were intending to be included?

For characters with innate powers prior to the accords but would not have submitted to the accords, could they instead have the complication "Not on the index? (I just don't see my character submitting to wearing any kind of tracking bracelet, especially before they've even really done anything heroing. This might mean I need to change my concept, so I need to know if that is a hard rule)

I still don't have an answer regarding lethality. The Avengers and Guardians have straight up killed people in combat. The Guardians killed prison guards and the Avengers definitely killed enemy soldiers in Age of Ultron's first act among other instances.

I also never got an answer to whether we're are supposed to be making characters that support or oppose the accords? It is a very important distinction that needs to be clear now in the creation process since it may invalidate concepts that are already being thought about.

Not so much a question, but on the list of specific hero point uses, which is a nice house rule IMO, you put Heroic Fear. Pretty sure you meant Heroic Feat, right?
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I am curious if we are expected to be registered. Wearing a tracking bracelet seems like something most beginner heroes would not wish to do. It also nearly eliminates the secret identity.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Indeed, I'm curious about it too.
------------
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Dex: vehicles and sleight of hand
Pre: adjusting to allow for Intimidation and Deception also

The Index: if characters have innate powers then they are on it. Its canon and I like it so I'm making it is a Complication. So hey when it comes in play auto HP for the character. Not that characters even knows about the Index. Let alone if they are on it or not ... until it comes into play

The Accords: the characters hero-ing is just beginning. They will have to address signing the Accords or not during game play. There are pros and cons to each decision.

Sorry no sneak peeks behind the curtain. I would suggest having a mind set that allows you to "buy in" to the games premise and your character being part of a bigger story. If you can't see your character as part of a team (regardless which way they decide) then this isn't the game for you.

Lethality and other similar issues: If this were a video game I'd say keep it rated "Teen" or "R" for movies (of course that rating depends on an attentive parent) Me, I'm not a fan of casual lethality ... in the least.

Lol yes Heroic Feat

Tracking bracelets? I hadn't thought of that ... so maybe or not ;)

Generic Asgardians Kree, Skrull (calling an audible on them) etc all valid Other aliens need to be MCU canon and give me a heads up first : I'm still only on season two of SHIELD AND Guardians Two introduced some stuff I might limit
Shadowbourne

Post by Shadowbourne »

You mention Legacy...my assumption that was referring to heroic(enhanced) legacies. Being the great great grandson of Aleister Crowley...would that count as a legacy in the manner you mentioned?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

StarGuard wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:35 am The Index: if characters have innate powers then they are on it. Its canon and I like it so I'm making it is a Complication. So hey when it comes in play auto HP for the character. Not that characters even knows about the Index. Let alone if they are on it or not ... until it comes into play
So the index is something they're simply added to and not actually a part of registering to the accords? If so that's perfectly fine.
StarGuard wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:35 am The Accords: the characters hero-ing is just beginning. They will have to address signing the Accords or not during game play. There are pros and cons to each decision.
So we are not starting out signed on to the accords then? I'm just wanting to make sure.
StarGuard wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:35 am Sorry no sneak peeks behind the curtain. I would suggest having a mind set that allows you to "buy in" to the games premise and your character being part of a bigger story. If you can't see your character as part of a team (regardless which way they decide) then this isn't the game for you.
Not trying to sneak peek anything. The premise is simply vague on which side of the accords we are supposed to be on, but if we're not starting one one side or the other, in order to actually have team cohesion on that very matter, we need to decide as a group whether to be pro or anti-accords since it does affect some character concepts.
StarGuard wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:35 am Tracking bracelets? I hadn't thought of that ... so maybe or not ;)
Tracking bracelets are explicitly mentioned at the bottom of the accords for individuals with innate powers.

But all things considered, I think I have a handle on things. Might reconsider my concept a little bit to address the accords and potential tracking bracelet clause that is in the accords.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Not sure whether he would be in the Index or not, but I will say that Renegade would be willing to sign the Accords. ...If he was aware they existed. Untill he and SHEILD have a proper sit down, he's too ignorant regarding Earth's state of affairs to place his signature. But like I said, he would be completely okay with that if it gave humanity more reason to trust and acknowledge he's trying to do good.
------------
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

EDIT: Testing out how to post photos