Star Wars (WEG D6) - Some Damn Fool Idealistic Crusade

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Mutie Scum

Star Wars (WEG D6) - Some Damn Fool Idealistic Crusade

Post by Mutie Scum »

Last edited by Mutie Scum on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:07 am, edited 10 times in total.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
- Hunter S. Thompson
Mutie Scum

Re: Star Wars (WEG D6) - Some Damn Fool Idealistic Crusade

Post by Mutie Scum »

I'm relatively new here but I am so pleasantly surprised to discover that the fans of one of my favorite RPGs are also fans of one of my other favorite RPGs settings and systems.

I'm inspired enough to begin working on a Star Wars WEG D6 game. Thank you all...

My spare time is such that this game will likely be very slow (but hey, you waited sixteen years for The Phantom Menace, amiright?! Um, bad example...? :lol: ). Otherwise, the Force is with us, always...
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
- Hunter S. Thompson
Mutie Scum

Post by Mutie Scum »

THE ESSENTIALS

Much of the game will be shaped by the players and their characters but here are some likely constants. All of the following might be changed with compelling arguments that appeal to the majority of the party.

* The game system will be the classic Star Wars D6 System published by West End Games. The specific edition will be the fan-made Star Wars; Revised, Expanded & Updated (REUP). REUP can be found here at d6Holocron, an excellent resource for all things Star Wars D6.
* The game will be set during the Time of Rebellion, most likely somewhen around Episode V.
* The game will be centered around a starship crew, loyal to each other and their ship.
* Over time, the crew will progress from just trying to avoid the Empire to actively fighting the Empire as Rebels.
* If not included among the PCs, the NPC crew will include at least one droid, alien and Force-Sensitive.
* The first encounter in this game will be free-form, you won't need a fully statted character. You should see if the game is for you before you do the work of making a character.
- Hunter S. Thompson
Mutie Scum

Post by Mutie Scum »

If you think you would like to be a player in this game, here is what you can do while I am getting everything together.

1. So that you don't have to slavishly follow this thread while I am prepping the game, let me know (in post or by PM) if you want to be notified by PM if and when the game is ready for recruitment. I will PM you (once and only once, I don't want to be 'that guy') when it is ready.
2. As usernames rarely convey such information, let me know the personal pronoun you wish me to address you by. I am not trying to hit on anyone, I just want to address them correctly.
3. The first part of this game is freeform as a sample. You don't need an actual character sheet, just about a paragraph of description or so. Almost any character idea can work, subject to the following guidelines:

Most characters will be very talented humans but alien and droid characters are quite welcome. Just about any species or droid model from the movies is fine. Examples from the Extended Universe (EU) are negotiable. Custom races and droids are also negotiable. However, don't make your aliens much more powerful than other aliens or humans nor your droid that much more impressive than stock droids.

The Force 'can be strong' with your character but you can't start as a full-fledged Jedi Knight. Think of your general level about that of Luke before meeting Yoda or Rey in The Force Awakens. Remember that Force-users can't be neutral or just combat-averse, the Force will force them to choose between the Light Side and the Dark Side. Indecision is eventually just a slow slide to the Dark Side.

Don't be too concerned with your character's equipment. Your characters are powerful for who they are, not what they own. And you may at times be completely unequipped (imprisoned, marooned, etc.).

When I am selecting characters, here is what I am looking for in terms of character:

Your characters are loyal to each other and will fight like Ewoks to protect and save each other, although you may bicker constantly when not in danger. I love divided loyalties and ambiguous motivations in my fiction but a PbP doesn't have the 'margin' for extra drama and conflict.

Your characters will fight the good fight...eventually. Star Wars is a game of heroes, even reluctant heroes. This game depends on you doing the right thing. In fact, Force-Sensitive characters are compelled to do the right thing lest they fall to the Dark Side. Now a reluctant hero who does the right thing in the end is fine (such as Han Solo returning to the Battle of Yavin after abandoning the Rebels) but not every player knows how to make their character do something they don't want to do. If you aren't sure, think of playing a already heroic character like Leia.

Some characters are only popular because of what they are capable of (Darth Maul was all threat and no character) but I want to know; why is your character interesting enough to care about besides their capabilities? In short, if your character was the least capable of the team, why are we still charmed by them?
Last edited by Mutie Scum on Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Hunter S. Thompson
Mutie Scum

Post by Mutie Scum »

The game is centered on a ship.

The characters may own the ship completely, partially, or just have custody for another owner. The PCs themselves have the equal legal stake in the ship, whatever that might be. Ships that aren't completely owned by the character may be much improved by the other (co-)owner(s). It could be that a crime lord has invested enough to make a truly legendary vessel but will expect debts to be paid.

I don't mind what the ship is called or what class of ship it is but here are some general guidelines:

The ship must have stats and deckplans (these can be custom-made). Many possibilities are available with an Internet search.
The ship must be Starfighter-scale. For newbies, this means the ship can't be much bigger than the Millennium Falcon.
The ship inspiration will likely be from the Star Wars setting but an impressive enough ship from another franchise could work. As just one example, Firefly's Serenity could work.
The ship will be improved so as to be worth fighting for. For one thing, there will be enough guns so that everyone can take part (however ineffectually) in starship combat.

I have ideas of my own if no one comes up with anything.
- Hunter S. Thompson
Mutie Scum

Post by Mutie Scum »

The writer Joseph Campbell once studied what elements heroic stories have in common. He found enough commonalities to make a framework called the Hero's Journey, which most heroic stories follow unconsciously to some degree.

But George Lucas deliberately followed Campbell's Hero's Journey for Star Wars and deliberately worked it into his screenplay. I would go so far as to say that Luke Skywalker's story is probably the purest popular example of the Hero's Journey.

And I hope to echo that in this game. The game has a provisional arc (which character selection will modify) that I expect to follow. What point at the arc we start depends on the specific starting character makeup.

First Stage: The first ship's crew are normal folk just trying to live out a normal life (Luke, Rey). They deal with the growing Empire by avoiding it (like the crew of Firefly's Serenity, moving further and further out on the Rim).

Second Stage: The first crew is either partially replaced by, or slowly become, more gritty individuals. They aren't bad people necessarily but have been forced to make bad choices (Han, Lando). By this point, the crew might have become petty criminals and are watched for by the Empire.

Third Stage: The crew adopts a truly moral stowaway in a bad way. This forces the crew to make a truly moral decision (hopefully the right one) and begins their path towards true Rebellion. The newcomer could be any combinations of Heroic Rebel (Leia), Renegade Imperial (Bodhi from Rouge One, Sabine from Rebels) and/or Force-User (Obi-Wan and later Luke)

As the game progresses, the game ship will become more capable (it will have to be).

The Gandalf option: Part of the Hero's Journey is to have a sometimes available mentor who has the good dramatic sense to leave the scene early (but sometimes return). This is perfectly echoed in A New Hope when Obi-Wan allows himself to be 'killed', knowing he could then be a more powerful Force ghost to guide Luke. I am cool with have a soon-to-leave Jedi Master in the beginning of the game to return as a wise and hazy special effect later. But some players may not like being outclassed by an allied NPC, no matter how devoted. Let me know what you think.
- Hunter S. Thompson
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

let me be the first to sign up for this
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ill also express a tentative curiosity I haven't brushed off Ana Tathis my Jedi character in an age
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

I'm interested! Let me see if I can get a grip on the system. You can just call me Ro (technically Mrs., but whatev), and feel free to PM.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

it's a fairly simple system at its core. I'm planning a smuggler type character in terms of skills
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

I think I've got the basics. Right now I'm thinking twi'lek pilot or jawa engineer.
Mutie Scum

Post by Mutie Scum »

catsi536, Corrigon and MissRo;

Thank you all for expressing an interest in this game. I believe there is enough enthusiasm for us to continue. 8-)

I am pleased by just the glimmer of what possible characters might be revealed; a Force-Sensitive, a Twi'lek and/or Jawa. Each of these is particularly iconic. But you can always change your minds.

OK, here is what I suggest we do next.

1. First, write a short description of your character(s). No more than a paragraph or so is necessary for the freeform prologue. If you happen to have a D6 character already statted enough to just copy-and-post, you can go ahead and post that as well. Otherwise, you just need an idea for now. Once we get the brief descriptions of the characters, we can start working on how they know each other.

2. We will run a short prologue that takes place anywhere from a month to a year before the main game. This particular scene is not necessarily related to the plot at large. It is just to break the ice. Think of those Bond movie's opening sequences that don't really have anything to do with the major plot, they just show off 007.

3. By the end of the prologue, your characters will hang together as comrades. You don't have to be friends but you realize you need to work together to survive this now-dangerous Galaxy. Your characters may already know each other as the prologue starts or this may some character's first meeting.

4. Optionally, you may suggest a more precise period (before during or after Rebels, Rouge One, Episode IV, Episode V or Episode VI) for this game. For my purposes, it is simply sufficient that the game take place during the time of Empire and Rebellion but the specific time can be anywhen from the end of Episode III to the end of Episode VI.

5. Optionally, you may suggest a name and class for your game ship. The prologue may be where you 'liberate' it.

6. Optionally, you may help determine the Party NPC. I like to have a character in the party to help with the plot. With a Force-Sensitive and alien crew member as possibilities. I welcome suggestions, such as:

* a 'token' human
* a droid character
* a renegade ex-Imperial
* a committed Rebel
* a deliberate non-combatant (child, civilian, pet). This makes the crew more of a family rather than a squad.
* a relative to one of the PCs

More than one of the aspects above can be put into the right single character.

I expect the freeform prologue will start in by next weekend. I am actively seeking players until then but applications are always welcomed. Let me know what you think. I think we've got a good start here... :D
- Hunter S. Thompson
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ana Tathis is a human female approximately 21 years of age who was born on the outer rim world of Rale 3. Rale a primarly agrarian world with 2 forested mountainous continents and large oceans was home to a wide variety of flora and fauna. Most especially though it was home to a large aquatic cousin of the Krayt dragon a fearsome predator that forced the human inhabitants to be hardy and smart to survive.

Ana was born in a small village outside the planets capital city and main space port, she was an impetuous and adventurous child with a fondness and affinity for the forest surrounding her home. She also had a strange knack for gut instincts that warned the village of more then one potential disaster.

Around her 16th birthday Ana was approached by Lady Caryn the villages storyteller. LAdy Caryn lived in a remote area filled with the large predators and seemingly untouched by them some how. Some whispered she was a witch others dismissed these comments as simple superstition. What is known is that Lay Caryn was a healer and storyteller and fount of wisdom that the village relied on for many reasons.

Lady Caryn Approached Ana and told her that she sensed that Ana was strong in the old ways of the force, and set a test to Ana. Ana was to travel to her home in the forest, a dangerous journey taking at least a day by foot. She was to take nothing with her except a knife. IF she did so LAdy Caryn would teach her many things.

Ana was intrigued and the next day set out in the morning to seek her destiny. On the way she avoided many of the perils of the forest and was approaching Lady Caryns estate when she was confronted by 3 of the largest of the predators shed ever seen. Initially fearful she thought she might be eaten and made ready to fight, but on instinct she stopped herself and calmed herself down. She reached out to the predators who slowly let her pass.

Lady Caryn was waiting for her and said she had passed the first trial. Ana spent several months performing seemingly menial tasks around Lady Caryns estates and vast gardens tending them and the animals as well as cleaning the house and studying ancient texts. Lady Caryns lush gardens never looked so beautiful in Anas opinion.

After this toil Lady Caryn finally set to her the task of learning all she could about the ways of the Jedi which lady Caryn revealed herself to be one of the last, one of the few survivors of Order 66 and the imperial purge. She had hidden herself on Rale 3 which was a world balanced in the force. Over the course of three years, Ana learned the skills of controlling her body, Force healing, seeking out knowledge and farseeing among other skills. Though Ana became quite skilled, she was never able to read Caryn's mind.

Finally after a time Lady Caryn gave Ana one last task. To seek pieces of a puzzle in the forest. Ana went out and did so the creatures of the forest following in her wake as she did so. She found and gathered several small pieces of technology. As she went further and further Ana at last came to a waterfall where she found a single blue crystal. sitting down Ana opened herself to the force and meditated as she did the pieces arraigned themselves and came together in a final configuration. a sleek handle of a weapon from a bygone age.

A lightsaber.

When she returned Lady Caryn congratulated her on passing the final trial. She then said that she had no more to teach Ana and it would be the force that would guide the young Jedi from this time on. Ana thanked her for everything and returned to her village where after a brief reunion with her family she left Rale 3 for the wider galaxy to seek her destiny.

CHARACTER NAME - Ana Tathis
SPECIES - Human
GENDER - Female
AGE - 22
HEIGHT - 5' 6"
Weight 125 lbs
MOVE - 10
Force Sensitive: Yes

Dex 3d+1
Acrobatics +1d, Blaster+1, Dodge +1d, Lightsaber Combat +2d, Melee Combat, Melee Parry, Running +1

Per 3d
Bargain, Command, Hide +1, Investigation +1, Persuasion, Search, Sneak,

Know 2d+1
Alien Species +1, Cooking +2d+2, Languages (srriwook), Planetary Systems, Scholar (Jedi Lore) +1d, Survival, Tactics, Willpower +1d

Str 2d+2
Brawling (Martial Arts) +2d**, Brawling Parry +1d, Climbing/Jumping+1d, Lifting, Stamina, Swimming

Mech 2d
Astrogation, Beast Riding, Repulsorlift Op, Space Transport Op +1, Starship shields, Star Fighter Op

Tech 2d
Blaster Repair, Droid Repair, First Aid Lightsaber Repair +1d, Repulsorlift repair, Security, Space Transport Repair +1

Control 2d+, Sense 2d+, Alter 2d+ *

Absorb/Dissipate Energy, Control Pain, Enhance Attribute, Force of Will, Reduce Injury, Resist Stun

Combat Sense, Beast Languages, Danger Sense, Life sense, Magnify senses, Receptive Telepathy

Injure/Kill, Telekinesis

Lightsaber Combat
Farseeing
Projective Telepathy

Force Points 2

Darkside Points 0

Advantages/Disadvantages: +3d

Wanted: (Jedi) +2d

Committed : (Jedi ideals) +1d

*used option from Star Wars rules companion for starter abilities for force users

**Instant Stand

Equipment:

Combat JumpSuit: +1D Physical, +2pip Energy

Lightsaber: 5D

Blaster Pistol: 4D

Utility Belt (Multi tool, Knife, glowsticks, Aquata breather, ration pills (1 week worth), Fibra rope, Medaid kit,
Personal Commlink
Credit Chip
Datapad

Ana

One of the rale 3 predators

Last edited by catsi563 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Dirk Thrumbar – Freewheeling Smuggler

Dexterity 3D+2 Blasters 4D+2 (Heavy Blaster Pistol 5D+2), Dodge 4D (1D+1)
Strength 3D Brawling 3D+1 (+1)
Mechanical 4D Space Transports 6D (YT Series 7D), Astrogation 4D, Starship Gunnery 4D+1 (2D+1)
Perception 3D+1 Con 4D, Search 3D+2, Bargain 4D (1D+2),
Knowledge 2D+2 Planetary Systems 3D (+1)
Technical 2D+2 Starship Repair 3D (+1)
(7D+1) +2 specialities
Sixth Sense -2D
Debt +2D
Extremely competitive +1D
Force Sensitive Yes
Character Points 17
Force Points 2

Most people assume from his demeanour that he is Corellian, but he was born and raised on Dantoene. Part of a merchant family, he saw what little there was to see on the planet, but learned a bit about getting a bargain. His love was for flying, using swoops and speeders, occasionally getting into trouble with Imperial authorities, often for crazy bets. His father had fought in the Clone Wars and showed him how to shoot and protect himself.
A few offplanet traders recognised his talent and would show him the basics of flying a space transport, which he took to like a natural talent.
Making a delivery to an Imperial facility, he touched part of an old pillar and had a vision of the future.
Telling his father, he was urged to keep it quiet. His granduncle had been a Jedi Knight and their family had produced many Jedi in the past.
Inspired by his vision, he arranged to join a freighter crew they knew and left within a few days, learning about piloting a freighter. He left just as an Imperial shuttle was coming into land. He got a strange feeling from the shuttle that it was a good thing he was no longer on the planet. He would later learn that his family had had an uncomfortable encounter with an inquisitor.

After a couple of years, he decided he wanted his own ship, chafing being under somebody else’s command. Arranging a loan with a crimelord, he figured that he would be able to pay it back quickly. Sadly, reality and his expectations never quite met; especially as he tried to be picky about the cargoes he carried, trying to avoid anything particularly nasty.
A hasty bet with another captain ended up with both of them trying to run an Imperial blockade to deliver food. He succeeded in getting through where the other captain didn’t but ended up being shot down by the Imperial cruiser. He managed to deliver his cargo and escape from Imperial interest, but he was left without a ship, stuck on a planet and a debt he wasn’t sure how he could pay.

Added +1 to all stats except mechanical and dexterity
Last edited by Corrigon on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

so much for just a paragraph from us :lol: