The Merge: Omega Company (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kirinke

Re: The Merge: Omega Company (IC)

Post by kirinke »

Amy

She looked at Rand. "He's not my employer yet." she said. "And he has done harm and insult to us as a group and individually and that must be addressed before any contract can be signed." she looked at him pointedly.

"After all. Prospective employers don't usually try to kill their potential new hires." she said in amusement. "You have to admit, this entire situation is not the usual sort of interview and I'm not pretending it is."

Amy looked at Athens. "Neither of us wishes to be seen as weak. I am willing to come to an understanding with you if you if you take that into account." she told the man mentally. "I know this will be more than a simple merc contract." she said mentally. "I am angry, but I am not unreasonable. I suspect you also know it is justified." she looked thoughtful. "So to that end, what do you require of me for us both to maintain face? Within reason of course." she smiled a little.

"Forgive my bluntness, I do not mince words and have never seen the need to." she said out loud. "The people I tend to deal most with don't really appreciate it in any case." she sighed and rubbed her temples. "I have also not had a good week and it does not seem to be improving at all. If it's not Predators jacking me, it's being attacked by assassins, however inept, my oldest friend post Merge kidnapped and then having a Dagobah moment on top of that and having to be knocked out to extract myself from it." she said dryly.

"So you can understand my general disposition right now isn't the best." she did not say that other than the Predators, the rest of it could be attributed directly to Athen's or his cohort's actions. "If my disposition was happy and cooperative, everyone would be questioning my sanity." she quipped, half in irritation and half in irony.

"As for the threat to kill you, Kar-Anna is very dear to me. Since her biological family or another suitor is not here to do the honors, it falls on me as one of her close friends to give you the shovel speech." she gave him a half bow. "Consider it duly given." she smiled a little to herself.

Pokemon battles took many forms after all. Was this not also a kind of battle? Only instead of flame and ice, it was one with words, guile, luck and will. Hopefully her mix of reasonable antagonism and Rand's more polite approach might impress them.

ooc
For Amy, this isn't just a merc contract. It's rather like a pokemon battle to see if the other guy is worthy of training her. She knows they're interested in her and she's testing them as much as they are testing her. At least, that's the game she is playing and how she sees this particular bit of fiction they're weaving.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

"Yes. Appear strong. Stand up to the man claiming to be a god - a difficult claim for even me to make given all that's happened in the last months on this world."

He pours himself a drink. His demeanor and mannerisms, despite his appearance and accent, really remind you of Ba'al from the SG-1 franchise...

"Let's cut to the chase, to use the common parlance. I know who you work work for. And I am the primary reason why you're still alive right now. Well, me and the Bug Hunter here."

Noguchi's fists clench and lip curls but she makes no move towards Athens.

"Don't get me wrong. I'm happy that her unique skillset remains unused. As should we all. But that's another matter. You are here pursuing Kyber crystals. My... associates... have access to them. Well, to their location. I can assure you, that if you try to mine the cave, it will end badly. My personal interest in the crystals is the wealth they can bring. But they are extremely hot at the moment.

"So, Rand, Mandalorian but you have sensitivity to Ancient Tech, don't you? And Amy. Pokemon trainer. Not much of a trick pulling that info out - your pets make it obvious. Mr Giovanni was asking about you. I told him you were spoken for. And Kobra... you actually did fool some, but you don't know enough about the lore, do you... Mr McDonald?

"Did your superiors - excuse me, your employers - tell you how useful they are? Many call the events that created this wondrous new world the Merge. They could not be more right. In any event, I can tell you all you need to know about the crystals, far more than is needed to satisfy your 'mission.' I'll even make sure you get out alive.

"In exchange, well, let's see if you're interested first. If you like, I'll even answer your questions about the Krystals and perhaps those about my associates as well. So... ask."

He even manages to sound genuinely magnanimous.

Kar'Anna leans on a table and sharpens her sword. Noguchi watches her before adding:

"I trust him about as far as I can throw Shorty. But he's right about one thing. If he wanted us dead, he'd have made the attempt by now."

Athens looks ready to respond to that comment about 'attempt' but instead raises his glass in salute and smiles. It's entirely possible that all the info that he has on you was obtained through Kar'Anna. Likely even. But something about the way he is dropping the information suggests he knows more than he could have learned in the brief time he's had access to the Dark Elf. Rand gets a strong feeling that Kar'Anna did not divulge any secrets - at least ones that Athens did not already know.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

"So, Rand, Mandalorian but you have sensitivity to Ancient Tech, don't you? And Amy. Pokemon trainer. Not much of a trick pulling that info out - your pets make it obvious. Mr Giovanni was asking about you. I told him you were spoken for. And Kobra... you actually did fool some, but you don't know enough about the lore, do you... Mr McDonald?
AMY

"Thanks for that much at least." she said, letting the 'spoken for' thing slide for now. "I don't need Team Rocket sniffing around me. I do have some standards. Not much mind you, given how I always find myself in the company of rather dangerous people with ambiguous morals." she chuckled in outright amusement. "That's no secret." she said as if the mutual threats they made to each other didn't happen.

When dealing with bad guys, it was always a delicate balance of knowing when to back down without appearing weak and when to assert oneself without appearing too threatening. She likened it to trying to capture a particularly powerful pokemon. The inherent threat of dismemberment, being flambe'd, turned into a popsickle, eaten and otherwise messily and painfully killed was the same at any rate.

Battle Init
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Lindsey

Lindsey stayed calm. He had expected their cover to be blown eventually. Too many powerful people with unforeseeable power combinations.
" Congratulations. You managed to add two and two together. And, unlike some of your species, you didn't get 5. Colour me impressed. But, you should also be mindful that whoever sent us wouldn't have done so if we weren't capable of doing a lot of damage if threatened. "
He smirks. " Your...people...should know the damage a small and very determined outfit can do. I've seen the show."
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy that her unique skillset remains unused. As should we all. But that's another matter. You are here pursuing Kyber crystals. My... associates... have access to them. Well, to their location. I can assure you, that if you try to mine the cave, it will end badly. My personal interest in the crystals is the wealth they can bring. But they are extremely hot at the moment.
The girl leaned back and looked at the man shrewdly.

"Ending badly isn't much of a stretch. Between the environment the crystals are in, not to mention the local thieves, we'd have our work cut out for us." she said finally. "But that's not all is it? Power like that attracts, doesn't it? My guess is the entire area around the cave and in the cave itself is swarming with monsters and ghosts and gods know what else."

Battle Init
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Rand just inclines his head as if acknowledging a tough from a fencer.

To the revelation about his Ancient gene he just rolls a shoulder in a half shrug. "Seem to. Not much use in it that I can see yet."

"All right. I'll bite. What's got everyone in such a tizzy about these crystals? And what are your nefarious companions gonna use them for?"
"Something pithy this way comes."
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

"Indeed, it's precisely the reason why I had Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks and Richard Dean Anderson... dealt with."

He smiles behind his glass, he thinks he's funny at least.

"There's the real question - what will they be used for. Sure, there are some Jedi out there. But my associates are certainly not... Jedi. The crystals they would use are being produced by Stark Industries. No, there are other uses. One of which is the big hulking sphere orbiting Mars. Another is as Energon. And possibly in place of a ZPM.

"Not only did worlds Merge, but resources in one world manifest as viable options for many. Many people want them. My associates control the location, its difficult access hindering them somewhat...

"Now... I've acted in good faith. Any other questions or can I make my pitch?"
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"There's the real question - what will they be used for. Sure, there are some Jedi out there. But my associates are certainly not... Jedi. The crystals they would use are being produced by Stark Industries. No, there are other uses. One of which is the big hulking sphere orbiting Mars. Another is as Energon. And possibly in place of a ZPM.
"Mmmm. I'm more of a grey adept than anything else, at least that's what other force sensitives have told me. I hear those guys orbiting mars do not play well with others, even with other sith." she said dryly. "Especially other sith. They take the rule of two waaay to seriously." she quipped and sobered. "I understand the crystals can also be used as magical foci and some sources I read say they can be used as enhancers for energy weapons, not just jedi/sith weapons like lightsabers. So more or less they pack a huge amount of power and are rather versatile with it."
"Now... I've acted in good faith. Any other questions or can I make my pitch?"
"We'll hear it and consider it. No promises mind you."

Battle Init
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

"Of course not. As Mr MacDonald said, unlike many of my kind I see that two plus two is four..."

He indicates a folder on his desk. If none of you move to look at its contents, Kar'Anna will. It contains a sole picture.

"That`s an image on the far side of Saturn. I would imagine your employers know about it, and that the larger DXDO is being kept in the dark. For all of our resources, we have precious few spacecraft that we can risk. I want the secrets of that vessel, and a means to overcome the danger.

"I would recommend, should you accept my offer, whatever else you do in preparation, that you watch the movie."

"Wait." Noguchi says after swearing in Japanese. "You want them to go aboard the Event Horizon?!? That`s insane, even for you people. And feel free to be offended by the remark."

Athens does not take the bait.

"No, I want you - as in you included Little Knife - to go. Perhaps with a little assistance if you can obtain it. I am quite interested to know if it's possible to change the dimension that it travels through, and if the drive can be replicated."

He does not ask for your responses, but instead simply pours another drink. He raises the bottle in your general direction to offer a glass. Quite hospitable for a Go'a'uld all things considered...

"Oh, and should you accept, I'll provide this for you to return to Atlantis."

He gestures, and two more armored guards emerge, carrying a large ornate chest. Its decorated in standard Go'a'uld imagery and symbols, but it contains various crystals of various sizes. You could equip a large quantity of Jedi Knights with lightsabers with this, or, if he was telling the truth, power various devices for quite some time...
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

After a quick rundown on the mechanics of the movie and ship, the girl turned to Athens with an incredulous look on her face. "You can't be serious." she shook her head. "The entire ship is chaos cursed from the sound of it. You'll never be able to glean any data from it. The best you can do is destroy it before it infects everything else." she said flatly. "Don't insult our collective intelligence like that my friend, it's rather unbecoming." she said with a bark of laughter. "There are easier and less painful ways to die than that. I'd rather take my chances with an annoyed Stufful or Bewear." she snorted.

ooc
http://orokos.com/roll/716195 16

Battle Init
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

"Please. We have nullifiers to stave off the effects... for a time."
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

The girl isn't convinced. "According to the source materials, the ship only looks like a ship. Whatever it's become? I doubt it'll have a drive or even mechanical systems in the way we'd know it." she looked at him shrewdly. "The only thing that'll give us is a horrifying death." she shook her head. "I've been in one Genius Loci before. I fell into by accident. It nearly drove me into a gibbering wreck before I could drag myself out and it wasn't even particularly malevolent." she shook her head. "I can't imagine one that wants to torture you for all eternity would do or be like."

"You'd have to have a dozen different safe-guards. Ones that protect the mind, body and soul with redundancy protections. Even then I'd give us a 20 percent chance of surviving and that's being overly generous." she shook her head. "I've been in the adventuring business since I got powers. One of the first things you learn is what dungeons you can survive and loot and which ones you should pass by and contrary-wise, which ones you should fill with blessed napalm, set on fire, backfill with blessed concrete and walk away whistling."

If anything, adventuring gave her a finely developed sense of self-preservation. She learned early how to weigh risk vs profit. She saw no profit in this venture. Only painful death.

ooc
Doesn't that thing look like an unholy cross between a Klingon bird of prey and a Semi-truck?
Last edited by kirinke on Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Battle Init
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

"Mr Randin? Mr MacDonald? Ms Noguchi? Your thoughts?" He asks, clearly amused by Amy's comments. "And lest I forget, what would you say Ms Marenth?"
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"Oh they'll probably be for it. These are the same guys that wanted to explore a clearly evil temple, without proper gear, research or planning, while on the run from Predators." she groused, with the clear underlying statement of 'stupid adults' thrown in. "I convinced them not to." she looked at Athens. "You really need to read the evil over-lord's list. It's quite illuminating."

Alma chuckled. "It's a sad state of affairs when our trainer is the sane voice of reason in a group." she noted.

Peekaboo nodded in agreement. "This is the girl that once wanted a Gyrandos in the team."

Ren looked shocked. "Do you know how much those guys eat?!"

ooc
Considering her adventuring has mostly been one noodle incident after another, I can well see her falling into a Genius Loci by accident.

Battle Init
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Bladewind wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:09 am "Mr Randin? Mr MacDonald? Ms Noguchi? Your thoughts?" He asks, clearly amused by Amy's comments. "And lest I forget, what would you say Ms Marenth?"
kirinke wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:07 pm Amy

"Oh they'll probably be for it. These are the same guys that wanted to explore a clearly evil temple, without proper gear, research or planning, while on the run from Predators." she groused, with the clear underlying statement of 'stupid adults' thrown in. "I convinced them not to." she looked at Athens. "You really need to read the evil over-lord's list. It's quite illuminating."
"K... Amy, you can be very annoying, at times." Rand says, his voice tense.

"I'm not familiar with the ship or the source material. Somebody want to summarize it?"

[I've not seen the film.]
"Something pithy this way comes."