For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: [IC] Screaming Metal Vagabonds: Chapter 1 -- The Cool Green Hills of Earth

Post by Flynnarrel »

The Praxis
HP:1|CND: Fine
Scanners: Detect Radio Waves, analytical, subtle 2,
Advanced Warning System {danger sense}

It's about this time that Captain Trent's effigy comes hover gliding down the deployment ramp. "Did I miss anything?" he asks in his native tongue, a near-enough English equivalent.

"Ah, I see you've met Yenova and Wissen." he says, noting the clustered trio. "Since names would make this all so much easier, may I further introduce Pok, Mistress Edeth," he points to each in turn, "and I am Captain Jonathan Trent of the Praxis, a starship commissioned by the United Coalition of Planets. An organization that doesn't exist in your Macro-Dimension, but is a collective for peace and unity where I'm from."

"As the weather seems out of the standard comfort zone for some of my fellow Vagabond crewmates would you like to come aboard our vessel? I can restart the heating elements." he offers to the elderly human. Trent's career distinctions include presiding over 3 interplanetary peace treaties. He knew that it paid to be physically comfortable in otherwise uncomfortable talks. "Alls we can really offer is water and ration cubes, I'm afraid, but you're welcome to partake." he offers with a genuine sincerity.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Davies

Post by Davies »

Wissen wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:02 am "Yes, of course Director. As Yenova said, we are here to study the Phenomenon that is your Super Heroes and prehaps learn some thing's from them as well..."
"I see," he says, nodding slowly. "Well, given some of the achievements of 'superheroes' formerly based on Earth, out among the stars, I can see why you might want to do that. I wonder, though, will studying this phenomenon, while engaged in their activities, really inform you about them as well as a certain distance might? Perhaps you might be better served to work with Argus and thereby gain a clearer understanding of the challenges of that particular phenomenon."
Hoffman's Innuendo Check 1d20+11 = 22

DC 20 Insight to understand the message.
Spoiler
"The heroes are hiding things from you."
Captain Trent wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:34 am "Ah, I see you've met Yenova and Wissen." he says, noting the clustered trio. "Since names would make this all so much easier, may I further introduce Pok, Mistress Edeth," he points to each in turn, "and I am Captain Jonathan Trent of the Praxis, a starship commissioned by the United Coalition of Planets. An organization that doesn't exist in your Macro-Dimension, but is a collective for peace and unity where I'm from."
He looks at your hologram, looks at the Praxis. "Of course you are," he says.
Captain Trent wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:34 am "As the weather seems out of the standard comfort zone for some of my fellow Vagabond crewmates would you like to come aboard our vessel? I can restart the heating elements."
"That's very kind, but I don't think this should take much longer," the old man says.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

The Praxis

insight: 1d20+8 23
Captain Trent got a soft *ping* from Social Sciences Division.

Captain Trent smiles. "An incredible story to be sure. I wouldn't fault you for any skepticism."

Captain Trent was intrigued at the comment that this wouldn't take much longer.

"Oh? Then how may we assist?"
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:47 am
Wissen wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:02 am "Yes, of course Director. As Yenova said, we are here to study the Phenomenon that is your Super Heroes and prehaps learn some thing's from them as well..."
"I see," he says, nodding slowly. "Well, given some of the achievements of 'superheroes' formerly based on Earth, out among the stars, I can see why you might want to do that. I wonder, though, will studying this phenomenon, while engaged in their activities, really inform you about them as well as a certain distance might? Perhaps you might be better served to work with Argus and thereby gain a clearer understanding of the challenges of that particular phenomenon."
Hoffman's Innuendo Check 1d20+11 = 22

DC 20 Insight to understand the message.
Spoiler
"The heroes are hiding things from you."
Wissen(Taxaud?)
HP-0 CND-Fine

Squinting his eye's for a second, the young science officer looks as though he's contemplating Director Hoffman's offer. In actuality, his computerized brain is running over everything Hoffman's said and he almost missed some of the word definition('English' has way to many word's with multiple meanings in his opinion)...
Alright here we go with trying at Spying ....
Innuendo check 1:5+4=9 NOPE, hero point to re-roll!
Innuendo check 2: 16+4=20(30 if adds 10) gpt it if it adds 10
Will add more depending on your call...
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Yenova
HP: 1
CND: Unburdened by knowledge

Yenova steps on the snow, slowly and deliberately. It makes an oddly satisfying crunching sound. She does it again. She's paying enough attention to the ongoing conversation to make sure she isn't about to get shot, but she isn't very invested in it. Paragon has already said he's taking them to the Argo, his headquarters, Yenova gathers, and in her experience the people who can pick up spaceships win the arguments.

Insight: 1d20+9 10
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Pok'

While she nodded once when Captain Trent introduced her, Pok' chose to keep silent otherwise. She did make a show of poking once at the translator that she wore as a neckpiece, but that was it for now. She did not really intend to go along with the old man and his retinue, not when Paragon had made a much better offer.

>OOC: Can't access a dice roller at work, so I'll assume Pok' simply takes Hoffman's offer at face value. She may also subscribe to the amended maxim: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, administrate." She would rather learn from an actual Hero.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Captain Trent wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:10 am "Oh? Then how may we assist?"
"To the point then. Argus has been hired, by the airport, to remove your ship from this runway, since the airport lacks the ability to do so. We would prefer to do that with your permission, but as the ship entered Canadian airspace illegally ..." He trails off with a shrug. "If you wished to accompany your vessel to make sure that our operatives don't damage it -- further than it already is -- we would be happy to accommodate you, and pack you into some of the very warm cars you see behind me. We'd also take the opportunity to continue our discussions, back at our Toronto offices. I would be most interested to learn anything you could tell me about the activities of an organization known as the Sondarwe -- 'Last Known Survivors' would be the words in English -- and their enemies. We would be helping each other ... and isn't that what it's all about?" That thin smile of his gets a bit wider.
Paragon seems deaf to any subtext in this conversation. "If these young people choose to accompany you, Director, then I suppose that they can do so. If not ... then I'll be taking them into my protection."

"Of course you will," Hoffman says calmly.

And then Edeth, who's been silent all this while, speaks up. She's not using the archaic style she's employed, speaking contemporary English, instead. "I believe the best course of action would be for me, as the senior representative present, to accompany this person and keep an eye on ... the Vagabond, while the rest of you follow your original plans. Would this be acceptable?"

"Are you indeed?" asks Hoffman.

"I am over one thousand years old," she answers calmly. "I was born on Cherab, before space travel changed our world forever. I have passed between the Pillars of Eternity twice, died, and passed between them a third time. I believe we have much to discuss ... and that it is time to end my travels with these people."

"... I see," says the Director, suddenly fascinated.

Expertise: Galactic DC 30 Check
Spoiler
The Pillars of Eternity, the only reliable method of time travel known to the Technate, are an ancient structure on a world on its furthest coreward border that can be used to travel in time and space to any location in the galaxy. Needless to say, their existence is kept most secret, following their discovery, some thirty years ago, by the TSV Adventure under the command of Commander Arlan Hayez.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:20 pm
Captain Trent wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:10 am "Oh? Then how may we assist?"
"To the point then. Argus has been hired, by the airport, to remove your ship from this runway, since the airport lacks the ability to do so. We would prefer to do that with your permission, but as the ship entered Canadian airspace illegally ..." He trails off with a shrug. "If you wished to accompany your vessel to make sure that our operatives don't damage it -- further than it already is -- we would be happy to accommodate you, and pack you into some of the very warm cars you see behind me. We'd also take the opportunity to continue our discussions, back at our Toronto offices. I would be most interested to learn anything you could tell me about the activities of an organization known as the Sondarwe -- 'Last Known Survivors' would be the words in English -- and their enemies. We would be helping each other ... and isn't that what it's all about?" That thin smile of his gets a bit wider.
Paragon seems deaf to any subtext in this conversation. "If these young people choose to accompany you, Director, then I suppose that they can do so. If not ... then I'll be taking them into my protection."

"Of course you will," Hoffman says calmly.

And then Edeth, who's been silent all this while, speaks up. She's not using the archaic style she's employed, speaking contemporary English, instead. "I believe the best course of action would be for me, as the senior representative present, to accompany this person and keep an eye on ... the Vagabond, while the rest of you follow your original plans. Would this be acceptable?"

"Are you indeed?" asks Hoffman.

"I am over one thousand years old," she answers calmly. "I was born on Cherab, before space travel changed our world forever. I have passed between the Pillars of Eternity twice, died, and passed between them a third time. I believe we have much to discuss ... and that it is time to end my travels with these people."

"... I see," says the Director, suddenly fascinated.

Expertise: Galactic DC 30 Check
Spoiler
The Pillars of Eternity, the only reliable method of time travel known to the Technate, are an ancient structure on a world on its furthest coreward border that can be used to travel in time and space to any location in the galaxy. Needless to say, their existence is kept most secret, following their discovery, some thirty years ago, by the TSV Adventure under the command of Commander Arlan Hayez.
Wissen (Taxaud?)
HP-0 CND- Fine

Wissen think's it just might be a Cultural reference he's not getting...
OCC: I failed it.Not to badly, but a Fail by any other Name is still a Fail...Failed Galactic roll
"i Belief Edeth has the right idea.As we will be parting Company, i would...again...wish to apologize for our easier squabble and would wish for us to part on at least Neutral terms..."
During his entire speech, the Living Computer attempts to get hold of The Director's cellular number...
i'm basically doing a High Speed "Drunk Dialing" method on all the Cell phones in the Airport Rapid fire.Since i can watch him & do other stuff, i'll be able to tell if i hit his phone...
"Drunk Dialing" Attempt: 20+14=34
JACKPOT BABY! :D if it still wasn't enough Davies, PM me and i'll get rid of this next bit...
Setting up a private channel between himself, Director Hoffman's phone and the Praxis, the Young Adventurer get's right to the point
"I'm going to get right to the point Director Hoffman: You mentioned that the Heroes were hiding something from us earlier. While you might be accurate, our Mission parameters haven't. We still need to perform our assignment, but we would like to keep you as a "Potentiol Bolt-hole" (if i'm using the Term correctly) if those Secrets prove Deadly..."
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Pok'

Pok' continued to mostly watch the various conversational exchanges that were going on- she seemed to understand most of it. Enough of it, anyway.

After Edith made her decision, Pok' nodded as if to herself.

Still without saying a word, she took one long step so that she was standing beside Paragon- not standing behind him, but shoulder-to-shoulder. It was a simple gesture, but it made her intention clear.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Wissen wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:07 pm "i Belief Edeth has the right idea.As we will be parting Company, i would...again...wish to apolo--"
"Shove it," she says again, this time without even looking at you.

Meanwhile, Director Hoffman's phone is on a very, very quiet vibrating ringtone, and he's the only one who notices that he's just received a phone call. He does not, of course, take it out to consult it at this time. "All right then," he says aloud. "If that's the way that you'd do things, then ..." He trails off, then gestures to one of the cars, as one of the Functionaries in Black steps back to open the rear door of the car.

Edeth nods once, then turns to offer a polite bow of farewell to the Captain, to Yevena, to Pok', and a particularly deep one to Paragon. (Nothing to Wissen.) Then, in total silence, she walks to where the Director is standing, then accompanies him towards the door. You hear him ask her name, and her give it, just before the door closes and the car backs up and turns to drive down the runway away from you.

The rest of the Functionaries break their circle and start to approach the ship, examining it and not paying the rest of you any attention.

"Well, that's not really how I would have preferred this to happen," says Paragon. "All right. About two miles away from here, thataway --" He points towards the part of the sky that the sun is currently directly over. "-- there's a hidden teleportal station which can take us all to the Argo, the headquarters of the Powerhouse, where we can meet some other people who'll take an interest in your education. Captain Trent, is your vessel equipped with a tractor beam, and would it be able to hold the rest of your associates? Because unless the rest of you can fly, I think that might be our best option to get there."

Wissen, Praxis: You receive a very brief text message from the third number Wissen just contacted. It consists of two words. "Acceptable."

And "Stardust."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

The Praxis

Try as he might, the beleaguered Ensign Murdock could find no mention of the phenomena talked about by Edith. He was composing such to the Captain when the scanning systems lit up that Wissen had become a beacon of radio signals, sending constantly and rapidly. Analysis was able to parse each separate signal but it was still a thing devoid of meaning. Certainly that was going to result in multiple telephones nearby (including many of the agents on scene) getting ghost calls. [And who even knew if the one he was trying to reach had his mobile device active right now.]

The Captain's pad lit up as multiple stations detected this new occurrence. Security recommended debilitating shots against the Uplift just to be certain and Trent's hand hesitated just a fraction before hitting the 'Denied' button for that request.
Wissen's subsequent message was recorded. And if other Agent's received calls it did not cause a scene.

"Well, if the Director here ensures that Argus will be on its best behavior, and I'd hate to see the aftermath if they are not, then your idea, Mistress Edith, is a sound one." The projection states before they all parted ways.

At Paragon's suggestion, the Captain's datapad pings with incoming from Engineering.

"Yes, If our companions gather together the tractor Beam should be able to carry them all but diverting such power from the engines would normally mean minimal Impulse power. If Paragon took hold of the ship as he flew we could reinforce the beam to keep a stable relative distance despite the greater velocity." The Captain says though its clear the message is read rather than put into Trent's own words.
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:55 am The Praxis

Try as he might, the beleaguered Ensign Murdock could find no mention of the phenomena talked about by Edith. He was composing such to the Captain when the scanning systems lit up that Wissen had become a beacon of radio signals, sending constantly and rapidly. Analysis was able to parse each separate signal but it was still a thing devoid of meaning. Certainly that was going to result in multiple telephones nearby (including many of the agents on scene) getting ghost calls. [And who even knew if the one he was trying to reach had his mobile device active right now.]

The Captain's pad lit up as multiple stations detected this new occurrence. Security recommended debilitating shots against the Uplift just to be certain and Trent's hand hesitated just a fraction before hitting the 'Denied' button for that request.
Wissen's subsequent message was recorded. And if other Agent's received calls it did not cause a scene.

"Well, if the Director here ensures that Argus will be on its best behavior, and I'd hate to see the aftermath if they are not, then your idea, Mistress Edith, is a sound one." The projection states before they all parted ways.

At Paragon's suggestion, the Captain's datapad pings with incoming from Engineering.

"Yes, If our companions gather together the tractor Beam should be able to carry them all but diverting such power from the engines would normally mean minimal Impulse power. If Paragon took hold of the ship as he flew we could reinforce the beam to keep a stable relative distance despite the greater velocity." The Captain says though its clear the message is read rather than put into Trent's own words.
WISSEN(TAXAUD?)
HP-0 CND-Fine

Wissen makes a note of the name 'Stardust'(for later checking) but say's to the Praxis
"Feasible, but depending on his Flight Speed going we could be adversly effected by Atmo conditions and Drag....Eh, it's only a 23.782% chance we'll all burn to a crisp.Perfectly normal chances, i'm all for it..."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Yenova
HP: 1
CND: Gone

Yenova winces inwardly again as Edeth leaves. She hopes that doesn't come back to bite them. As Paragon, Wissen, and the Praxis discuss how to proceed among themselves, she looks off in the direction their new host indicated. Two miles thataway... a hidden teleportal station? That sounds interesting... she wonders what the teleportal technology on this planet looks like...

And then she isn't there anymore.
OOC: Teleport!
Davies

Post by Davies »

Wissen wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:50 am "Feasible, but depending on his Flight Speed going we could be adversly effected by Atmo conditions and Drag....Eh, it's only a 23.782% chance we'll all burn to a crisp.Perfectly normal chances, i'm all for it..."
"Thank you for that vote of confidence, Wissen," Paragon says in a very dry tone. "All right, we'll do it that way, Captain. Pok', Yenova, if the two of you could stand right there and -- Yenova?" He looks around. "Where did she go?"

While none of you were looking at her, Yenova appears to have vanished.

Yenova: Wow! So this is what a hidden teleportal station looks like! It's this big glass box with a door that seems to be locked, with a little keypad that you might be able to figure out when everything stops spinning. Well, no, probably not even then. Anyway, the box itself is contained in a little room with an exit that you haven't yet explored, since, you know, spinning and all that. There's light fixtures on the ceiling that lit up as soon as you appeared. Isn't that nice of them!
Yenova is temporarily Fatigued and Vulnerable.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:27 am
Wissen wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:50 am "Feasible, but depending on his Flight Speed going we could be adversly effected by Atmo conditions and Drag....Eh, it's only a 23.782% chance we'll all burn to a crisp.Perfectly normal chances, i'm all for it..."
"Thank you for that vote of confidence, Wissen," Paragon says in a very dry tone. "All right, we'll do it that way, Captain. Pok', Yenova, if the two of you could stand right there and -- Yenova?" He looks around. "Where did she go?"

While none of you were looking at her, Yenova appears to have vanished.

Yenova: Wow! So this is what a hidden teleportal station looks like! It's this big glass box with a door that seems to be locked, with a little keypad that you might be able to figure out when everything stops spinning. Well, no, probably not even then. Anyway, the box itself is contained in a little room with an exit that you haven't yet explored, since, you know, spinning and all that. There's light fixtures on the ceiling that lit up as soon as you appeared. Isn't that nice of them!
Yenova is temporarily Fatigued and Vulnerable.
WISSEN(TAXAUD?)
HP-0 CND-Fine

Heaving an irritated sigh, Wissen explains Yenova's "Uniqueness" to Paragon
"Yenova's gifts include an ability i've dubed Causality Manipluation. One of her 'Intresting' abilities from it is (so far) Singular Teleportation. She's probably there already trying to poke at things just to make my brain itch,which i wouldn't put past her.Unless you want said location to look like it was ransacked by an Angry Bovine in a small room, we should get there post haste.."
When they take off, Wissen will start playing Paul & John Being Morning People...