Conflux City Guardians

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Nintendogeek01

Re: Conflux City Guardians

Post by Nintendogeek01 »

In the five years since the teams inception Agent Owl had done her part; been part of the training, gotten to know the team, answered any crisis they were called for, all while juggling her off-time. No easy feat, she still had to make appearances as Mina, occasionally went patrolling of her own volition, and most of all writing her reports.

It took a while of getting used to the routine before Agent Owl felt comfortable spending time at the Nest for fear of its discovery, but she did and now she's better able to spend the time needed to send her reports to Batman; reports about the team, the council, the notable citizens, and of course of recent goings on.

Today it seems to be the start of what Agent Owl can only hope, probably in vain, that this will be a boring report to send in.
StarGuard wrote:There is a small gasp from Nightstar as Yuki Yamamoto lays out her plan before the Guardians of Conflux City.
" ... You are asking us to steal from Council-member Shamapki ? I do not understand? We are to work with the police, the defenders of Conflux, This is dishonest and unworthy of Guardians."

"Why do we not just ask the Council-member to let us guard the relic in a safe location for him, then you can study it if need be? "
Though Agent Owl shared Nightstar's distaste for this assignment she did not voice it; someone had to be the voice of pragmatism on this team, "Think about it Nightstar, if Shamapki is hiding something about these items as Yuka suspects then handing them over for study would be among the last things he wants."
MetaShaman

Post by MetaShaman »

Grit - HP: 1
Condition: Torn

The orders they'd received were definitely against what he thought the team was about, even he knew it. However? He understood the reasoning somewhat. He took a moment to ponder the orders. Two of his teammates would comment prettt quickly on it, and then Agent Owl brought up a good point as well.

He would have to speak up... "That may be the case, Agent Owl, but the fact of the matter is we don't know he's actually hiding anything unless he outright refuses, right? At the same time, we can't dawdle and let the beurocracy fumble around with technicalities and whatnot while there are unknowns out there, maybe one, maybe a dozen, all trying to get their hands on the relics."

Grit's take seemed to cycle him back to uncertainty. He may have benefitted from reading up on the laws here throughout the years, but for the most part his worn had been pretty cut-and-dry. The Guardians were a small myriad of powers and specialties, not easily outwitted. But they had their rules, and not knowing all of them made this a problem.

If they were a group that operated 'above the law if necessary' then they could ask nicely, then just do an 'emergency seizure' of the remaining relics for study. Then Yuka could take a hit to her reputation if it truly was nothing. But he didn't know if that was even in their legal capabilities as the Guardians.

He would sigh and place a hand on his head, pushing his brain to think it through. What he wouldn't give to be a supergenius... or at least some foresight.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Myra

"I agree this feels wrong." Starfish weighs in. But the scientist in her is already turning the problem over in her head. "But the planning and execution of the crime has merit. If the thieves have managed to elude normal police so clearly they have access to unique abilities - maybe phasing or teleportation. If we figure out how to get past the police and get us and the relic out again we may glean insight on how the thieves are doing it. We may even 'bump into' them. That'd be good."

"Mar'i is right that you have not shown you have authority to ask us to do this yet, Mrs. Yamamoto. If you have a warrant or a writ countersigned by the majority of the rest of the Council, that would suffice. So I'm definitely on board for getting in there, past the police, getting our eyes, even hands on the relic. But bringing it to you based on nothing but your suspicions would make it feel like we were your personal 'dirty jobs' mercenaries. You trained us better than that."
Myra says.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Camus

Post by Camus »

Yamamoto lets out a sigh of mild exasperation. "I expected no less from you, however you are forgetting I am the security chief of Conflux city, and as such I can exert certain degree of autonomy from the council. However, to ease your moral concerns, Shamapki has been informed of my plan about feigning the steal of his relic in order to capture the true thieves. I simply omitted to tell him that the relic will be subject to scanning before being returned to him. All in order to gain more insight on the perpetrators."

OOC: You can roll insight if you feel suspicious of course.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Starfish (likely) didn't sense any deception and nodded at Yamamoto's logic.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

NIGHTSTAR
Mar'i Grayson
HP: 1 ; LP: 1 Condition: Normal

Appeased but exasperated Mar'i speaks up
" ... You don't always have to hold all the cards so close to your vest do you Yuki? "
Last edited by StarGuard on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
Camus

Conflux City Guardians

Post by Camus »

OOC: Yuka seems genuine and truthful.

“Actually.” The woman raises an eyebrow “I do.” She gives a short-live smile. “It is settled then, make any preparations you see fit. Remember that you should try and sneak in tonight; there is no telling if the thieves are going to go in as well or not, but if they are we need to catch them unprepared. Agent Owl, send my progress reports to my private number as usual. We’ll arrange a drop point as soon as you have the relic, the thieves or both. Good luck Guardians, I’m counting on you.” With no other thing to say Yuka Yamamoto turns to leave. You could interrupt her if you need to ask any other question.

Shortly after Yuka departs, Nicholas opens the door and offers you one of his charming smiles, gesturing you outside. “I trust everything went well? Yamamoto instructed me to provide with any... ehm... out of the ordinary requests you might have. She said disguises, actually. Of course she didn’t explain herself, as if she ever, so perhaps you care to bring some light to the issue?” Nicholas sports a quizzical look in his face, but also the smirk of one who waits to be amused.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Starfish

"So she didn't tell you what our assignment was?" Myra asks.

"Well, we'll need information on the relic - size and shape, materials, and such. A map of the Shamapki estate where it's being held, including water mains." Her significant glance to the others told them she expected that was her entry point. Some Atlanteans could change the temperature of water - freezing it or boiling it. Others could produce electricity. She was gifted with neither of those magics, but she could change her whole body into water with full locomotion. Of course that meant she'd be naked when she reformed but she didn't have such taboos and a teammate could carry extra clothes for her.

"We'll need a list of what security protocols are in place and who is free to come in and out." She ponders.

"Am I missing anything?"
Nintendogeek01

Post by Nintendogeek01 »

The fact that Shamapki was aware of this plan actually did not come as a comfort to Agent Owl; did he not suspect at all that what he doesn't want found out wouldn't be discovered? Oh well nothing for it.
Flynnarrel wrote:"So she didn't tell you what our assignment was?" Myra asks.

"Well, we'll need information on the relic - size and shape, materials, and such. A map of the Shamapki estate where it's being held, including water mains." Her significant glance to the others told them she expected that was her entry point. Some Atlanteans could change the temperature of water - freezing it or boiling it. Others could produce electricity. She was gifted with neither of those magics, but she could change her whole body into water with full locomotion. Of course that meant she'd be naked when she reformed but she didn't have such taboos and a teammate could carry extra clothes for her.

"We'll need a list of what security protocols are in place and who is free to come in and out." She ponders.

"Am I missing anything?"
Agent Owl had to fight the urge to do a face-palm. Did it not occur to Starfish that the Chief of Security would want this covert mission to stay covert? That meant keeping as few people in the loop as possible to reduce the risk of intel leaks. Sadly it was too late to stop her, the moment she mentioned relic and the Shamapki estate Nicholas would surely be able to put two and two together.

"You don't need to trouble yourself for me Nicholas," Agent Owl said before turning to the others, "I have my own preparations to make, get in touch with me as soon as you're done here," Agent Owl said before heading to the laboratory in the Guardian base. A disguise wasn't strictly necessary, Agent Owl had taken steps to make sure that no one knew her REAL identity on the island and even taken steps to have her own base secretly installed on the island. By now most of the team had actually been to the base but only when they were in no state to recognize where they were going (being either blindfolded or too injured).

Agent Owl admittedly didn't know if any of the team who had been to the Nest had told anyone about it; she had insisted that they keep it secret but she couldn't exactly stop them from sharing that info, it was a show of trust on her part to let them know that the Nest existed, even if the team never knew the full-extent of Agent Owl's machinations she at least wanted them to know she was willing to give a little trust to them. The main rub was whether Yamamoto knew about the Nest; the woman wasn't stupid so there was a non-zero chance she knew Owl had something up her sleeve, but so far as Agent Owl knew she hadn't left clues as to where the Nest is.
MetaShaman

Post by MetaShaman »

Flynnarrel wrote:Starfish

"So she didn't tell you what our assignment was?" Myra asks.

"Am I missing anything?"
Grit - HP: 1
Condition: Stoic

Grit maintained his composure as Starfish seemingly spilled the beans, and quickly thought up a jar to catch them in. When she was finished, and Agent Owl was immediately done with the info-gathering section as she tended to be, he figured he could at least ensure a protective nature to the task.

"Anything that a thief or group of thieves would ensure they knew about before attempting to breach the security of a Councilman's Estate. If we nip their operation at the bud, we can safely reclaim and return Shamapki's recently stolen belongings, and keep those remaining targeted items safe. I hope we can do both with this operation, but one of the two is acceptable for our purposes," he said clearing things up.

Over the years as a member of the Guardians, Jonathan Lucas was always straightforward with his thoughts, only keeping secrets if he was ordered to, or at least it seemed revealing the secret would do more harm than good, in some cases. As the group's more literal muscle, Grit was never seen as the type to think more than necessary, and to some degree they were right: He never overthought anything he did, only concieved the idea, refined it quickly, and put it into action.

To him, everything was for this utopia they protected. Even a misleading half-truth non-lie used to maintain the trust of an informant and the relative covertness of an operation. After all when it came to Yuka, they usually let the team decide just how much covertness was necessary. In this case, some, but not entirely. "Also, as far as disguises go, I'll take the usual. Nobody outside the Guardians' circle has it figured out yet, thankfully," he would add, in case the disguise thing was mandatory.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Council Chambers

“Oh my… It does seem like Miss Yamamoto gave you a tough one this time. I’ll get you the schematics and… the pipe system plans… I think I can get hold of those…” Nicholas muses while stroking his beard, while absent mindedly nodding to Agent Owl. He turns to Grit “As far as what a group of thieves would want to know, I am really at loss there Grit, I have 0 experiences in thievery, as you might expect. If you give me an itemized list, I’ll be happy to comply.” He said with a smile.

Guardian's HQ

Agent Owl exits the building quickly, and makes her way to the Guardian’s HQ. When the building was constructed Agent Owl and the other Guardians were given the chance to make suggestions on some of the specific features the HQ should have. As she walks through the metallic hallways, her mind drifts to some of those moments. She is cut short as the laboratory door requests authentication.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Nintendogeek01

Post by Nintendogeek01 »

Agent Owl stopped at the door and waited for the robotic voice to ask her for authentication. "Agent Owl," she said in her clearest voice "Password nu, epsilon, tau, alpha, gamma," Agent Owl waited a few more seconds for the door make the bleeping sound indicating acceptance for the codeword. Agent Owl began considering new passwords, it's been two weeks, time to change them.
Last edited by Nintendogeek01 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camus

Guardians HQ

Post by Camus »

Or that is what the Agent thought she was doing. Actually, the door emitted an annoying beep. "Unable to grant access. Manual override in place." That could only mean one thing. There was someone inside the lab, and had the skills to electronically jam the door...
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Nintendogeek01

Post by Nintendogeek01 »

Manual override? Damn it all! Agent Owl immediately went to work to override the door. "That settles it, the passwords are now being changed daily bare minimum, plus a new system entirely," she grumbled mentally.

OOC
Routine technology for 25.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Myra

Myra invited Grit and Mar'i to one of the meeting rooms off of the training room where she originally met the other Guardians.

"Okay, we'll need to trust Night Owl to have her own, mysterious way in. She might be able to come through for others but we should come up with other ways in for all of us. I can get in through the water lines but we need to find a way in for you two that won't draw suspicion."

She looks at Nightstar. "Flying isn't really an option, the glowing trail you leave is way too obvious. And you, Grit, don't really have a way to leap or anything. You're both really strong but punching our way in isn't exactly stealthy. And we need a way out too. We should be able to find a break in the police patrol schedule so maybe you two could sneak in on foot. We might have to arrange a distraction since we haven't really trained in stealth - not much need in our roles as Conflux City Guardians. We could try to disguise you two; Agent Owl might be help with forged I.D.s and key cards if you think that'd be an easier way to go about it. Anything else you can think of?"