Heroes Unlimited: OOC thread

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
MacynSnow

Re: Heroes Unlimited: OOC thread

Post by MacynSnow »

catsi563 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:18 am im adjusting up to 11-170 to insure the vets retain the experience they earned through play but giving new players a chance to keep up.
So if i read you right catsi,after my handicap fight,i'll need to place about 20pp somewhere on Vigilante....
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

I have a concept for a super hero whose powers all stem from Molecular Control. How do you feel about Dynamics Arrays? I realize this could potentially be quite powerful, but conceptually it makes sense due to the fact that all his powers come from this source.

I was thinking about having him become the host of some cosmic entity, who is using him to study the Earth (for what purpose is mystery...could be good or bad). Regardless, one of the major complication is that this entity could leave him at any moment (perhaps even permanently). This particular complication could be a convenient way of limiting him via GM-fiat.

Does this sound too far out? Perhaps incompatible with what you want in a hero for your game?

I'm working on more details, but I just wanted to throw something out there before you get a bunch of submissions and then suddenly "close the door".
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Supernaturalist wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:58 pm I have a concept for a super hero whose powers all stem from Molecular Control. How do you feel about Dynamics Arrays? I realize this could potentially be quite powerful, but conceptually it makes sense due to the fact that all his powers come from this source.

I was thinking about having him become the host of some cosmic entity, who is using him to study the Earth (for what purpose is mystery...could be good or bad). Regardless, one of the major complication is that this entity could leave him at any moment (perhaps even permanently). This particular complication could be a convenient way of limiting him via GM-fiat.

Does this sound too far out? Perhaps incompatible with what you want in a hero for your game?

I'm working on more details, but I just wanted to throw something out there before you get a bunch of submissions and then suddenly "close the door".
Instead of Phoenix,have you thought 'bout trying Firestorm instead? Conceptually,they both do the same thing(they even hinted at it in JLAvengers) but The Nuclear Man had the limit that he couldn't affect living matter....
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Im not specifically against Dynamic arrays persay I use them on some of my paragon builds so its no big deal, but I am careful about transmuters, they like mages run into I can do anything issues. So theyre the type of character I keep an eye on.

the group currently has a Tech genius power armor hero, A mage with some science background, a solid street vigilante, and a dragon scrapper mini powerhouse.

it could use a Paragon or true powerhouse, an energy projector or ranged dps type, some investigative skills wouldn't hurt it, those are all I can think of off the top of my head its got room for a few concepts.
While I'm currently on vacation and likely wouldn't be able to have a build up until the end of July, my concept would be much simpler than my Blindspot submission. As it appears this campaign is set in the Freedom-verse, I'd like to propose a growth based powerhouse. Basically a Utopian, with an ancestry tied to the Titans themselves, a combination Wonder Woman and Stature.

Likely two power settings, a zero trade off scrapper type, and a giant +5/-5 trade off max height form. If something like that might fit let me know and I'll figure out a background in downtime.
its set in my own homebrew but has some FC elements certainly so a utopian is not out of the question.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Supernaturalist

Ok, I have a question about a power that I'm constructing within the dynamic array. I'm trying to build a Move Object effect that captures the idea of instantly disassembling something at the molecular level and them reassembling it somewhere else in range. I believe I could buy the power at "instant duration, but I'm not sure how to deal with the fact that physical barriers can still get in the way of "reassembling" it. Is there a way to increase the cost of the power in order to avoid this problem.

I even thought about it from a different angle...almost like a teleport effect that only affects other things, but that did not seem right.
Nunya B

Post by Nunya B »

Supernaturalist wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:30 pm Ok, I have a question about a power that I'm constructing within the dynamic array. I'm trying to build a Move Object effect that captures the idea of instantly disassembling something at the molecular level and them reassembling it somewhere else in range. I believe I could buy the power at "instant duration, but I'm not sure how to deal with the fact that physical barriers can still get in the way of "reassembling" it. Is there a way to increase the cost of the power in order to avoid this problem.

I even thought about it from a different angle...almost like a teleport effect that only affects other things, but that did not seem right.
Maybe build it as Teleport Attack?
Supernaturalist

I posted this on the Roninarmy board, so I'll post it here too.
I guess it just seemed a little more confusing at first. Let me try my hand at it:

Teleport 10 [Ranged, Standard Action, Affects Only Others, Increased Mass 10 (25 tons)]

Assuming this is the correct syntax, I'm curious about the cost.

Does taking the RANGE from "rank" down to "ranged" give me a point discount?

Also, increasing it from a Move Action to a Standard Action should give me a point discount too.

What would be a reasonable cost given these extras and Flaws?
Ghost of Krypton

Post by Ghost of Krypton »

Teleport Attack can be *very* abusive, as it is an example of a Save or Die type attack. A single failed Resist can effectively remove a low movement character from combat. Now building a Teleport with Affects Others and Only Affects Ibjects would be neat.

I usually ask my table top crew to model it with an affliction; dazed, stunned, transformed (to a distant location) would work too.

Just my opinion, but you could AE one from the other.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

An affliction would work for a quick shake up of someones molecules,

For the moving objects by breaking down and reconstructing could just do Move object with perception and a quirk that the matter can be reconstructed where you can see and a flaw only on objects.

Im also generally wary of teleport attacks. especially if the effect can be modeled with damage or affliction.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Supernaturalist

Ok, before I do all the work of constructing the rest of the character. I wanted to confirm that the power-concept is acceptable. If not, then I have no problem altering it OR even submitting a whole new concept.

Powers (86pp)
Molecular control: Dynamic Array (74pp available) ; (86pp total)
. . "Bonding" Create 18 (Continuous, Movable, Precise, Dynamic) (74pp)
. . . . "Disintegration" Damage 14 (Ranged, Alternate Dynamic Effect) (28pp)
. . . . "Matter-Barrier" Protection 14 (Impervious, Alternate Dynamic Effect) (28pp)
. . . . "Transmutation" Transform 8 (200lbs) (Anything into Anything Else, Continuous, Expertise Check (DC 14), Ranged, Limited to Inanimate Objects, Alternate Dynamic Effect) (40pp)
. . . . "Reassemble" Teleport 10 [Attack (res. by Dodge), Ranged, Change Velocity, Change Direction, Increased Mass 10 (25 tons), Alternate Dynamic Effect]. (42pp)
. . . . "Self-Reassemble" Teleport 10 [Extended, Easy, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Alternate Dynamic Effect] (42pp)
. . . . "Alteration" Affliction 14 [Res. by Fortitude, Ranged, (Dazed, Stunned, Transformed), Alternate Dynamic Effect] (28pp)

So as it stands, he could never keep his "force field" up and use his Create Power (this makes using it quite risky). He could just barely keep his force field up and use the Teleport abilities (moving objects and teleporting himself). He can easily use the force field and use his ranged Damage, or Transform, or his ranged Affliction.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Gladius
or: maybe this, but withouth the lightning bolt

Gladius
PL11

Abilities
Strength 12,
Stamina 5,
Agility 2,
Dexterity 2,
Fighting 4,
Intellect 1,
Awareness 2,
Presence 2

Powers
Flight Array: (31 points)
Flight 13 [Dynamic]
Dyn: Speed 13 [Dynamic]
Dyn: Gravikinesis: Move Object 12 [Precise, Subtle, Dynamic]
Invulnerability: (14 points)
Protection 7, Immunity 5 [Cold, Heat, Pressure, Radiation, Vacuum], Gravitic Immunity: Immunity 2 [Gravity Effects]
Gravitic Array: (31 points)
Tactile-Telekinesis: Feature 1 [Exert Strength without moving],
Gravitic Strength: Enhanced Strength 11
Alt: Singularity: Move Object 11 [Cone Area 2, Damaging; Limited to pulling objects towards him. 1 rank for every ten foot increment. Full Round Action ]
Alt: Shield Others: Create 10 [Movable; Proportional; Subtle 1, Precise]
Alt: Shockwave: Affliction 11 [(Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed and Vulnerable, Stunned and Defenseless); Burst Area, Extra Condition; Limited - Gladius and targets must be touching the ground]
Alt: Gravitic Blast: Damage 11 [Ranged]
Alt: Gravitic Wave: Damage 11 [Cone Area]
Alt: Gravity Field: Move Object 10 [Burst Area; Limited to Pulling Towards a surface; Precise]
Gravitic Power Stunts: (0 points)
Directional Pull: Movement 3 [Alter pull of gravity enabling anyone in the range to alter the direction of "down" - Wall Crawling 3; Burst Area, Selective; Linked to Artificial Gravity (Environment 5 - negate impeded movement due to Gravity)],
Gravitic Containment: Nullify 11 [Nullify Explosions]

Equipment

Advantages
All-Out Attack,
Extraordinary Effort,
Move-by Action,
Second Chance 1 [Re-roll against Mind Control],
Well-Informed,
Inspire 1,
Improved Initiative 2,
Startle

Skills
Athletics (+12),
Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+10),
Deception 4 (+6),
Expertise: Current Events 4 (+5),
Expertise: History 1 (+2),
Insight 4 (+6),
Intimidation 4 (+6),
Investigation 2 (+3),
Perception 5 (+7),
Persuasion 2 (+4),
Ranged Combat: Gravity Powers 9 (+11),
Stealth (+2),
Treatment 4 (+5), Vehicles 3 (+5)

Offense
Initiative +10
Unarmed +10, Damage 12
Shockwave +4, Damage 11, Burst Area
Gravitic Blast +11, Damage 11

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 8
Toughness 12 (Def Roll 0), Fortitude 10, Will 12

Power Points
Abilities 38 + Powers 76 + Advantages 9 + Skills 19 + Defenses 27 = Total 169

Complications
Motivation: Responsibility. Gladius truly believes that his power and origin are a gift that he must use to help others.
Stepping Up: Gladius is a clone of the Centurion. He's not as powerful, but he wears the colors and works to be worthy of the mantle one day. He will step up despite the risk.
Relationship: Gladius and Bankshot have a relationship (they're married) that has not become common knowledge.
Rival - Gravity Master. The guy's not all bad so it's not an "enemy complication" but Gravity Master envies that Gladius got the girl (Bank Shot) and has powers naturally that he worked to build.

Design Notes
* This was originally an excuse to play the 90s style Superboy's powerset if not the personality. As such, I tweaked the DCA build. His powers are telekinetic at their base, but developed into gravitic in nature.
* Being a legacy of Centurion and not Superman, I was quite at ease to remove heat vision and the super-sensory array.
* His Enhanced Strength is the focus of his Gravity Powers - it's a personal gravitational field allowing him to lift 100 tons. Arguably having the full fledged gravikinesis (telekinesis) is a moot point and a waste of a point. However, I see him mostly using his powers to appear to be a paragon more than telekinetic.
* There may be too much in the array. Personally, I see it mostly as descriptors on variant damage applications, but leave to your examination.
* Power Stunt section is to have some stunts on standby. Some things that he can do, but that require extra effort.

Background
Gaius Aurelius, Ryan Connors, Orion, Gladius... All the same person, and yet none of them should exist in our world. Just ask Dr. Mayhem.

Desperate to restore his timeline and his identity, the villain known as Dr Mayhem hatched a plot to find the Gladius of his world. His latest device sought out parallel worlds that most resembled the one that he remembered, the one where he belonged. In the process, about a dozen young heroes appeared with uniforms strikingly similar to that of the long deceased hero Centurion. Each was puzzled by the world that they had arrived on, but none more so than Gaius Aurelius. Of all the duplicates, he was the only to not use the familiar gold white and blue of his alleged father.

Freedom City rolled its eyes at all these newcomers – after all the presence of the Alpha Centurion had dashed their hopes of ever seeing their beloved hero again and made them suspicious of all who might wear his colors.

So it was that when the crisis of duplicates was resolved, Gaius faded into the background and managed to remain on Earth Prime. Taking the name Ryan Connors he enrolled at Claremont Academy, having a referral from Lady Liberty certainly helped his case.

Quiet and reserved, he remained in his black and gold uniform, his slightly different powerset drawing absolutely no attention to his potential origin. A few of the girls noted that he looked like a young Centurion, but he dismissed it. He even went so far as to dye his hair black.

He dedicated his free time to playing the guitar – something that he truly excelled at, perhaps due to his powers – and to reading and watching all things about Centurion.

The truth is, he wishes that Centurion was his father. Although this is closer to truth than outright falsehood, the fact of the matter is that the Centurion of Gaius’ world was anything but the benevolent hero of Earth Prime. Still, he was no villain, perhaps more akin to the Superman of the JLA animated episodes “A Better World.” He was Marcus Aurelius, and he called himself the Alpha Centurion*. And this was another reason why Ryan cringed at revealing his origins. Gaius was supposed to be next in line to take his father’s place as leader of the Myrmidons (his world’s equivalent to the Freedom League). He had been "grown" as one of the receptacles that could take on the mind and mantle of the Alpha Centurion in case of his death. A guarantee of immortality. A crown prince who would never assume the throne.

On this Earth, Gaius liked the new name - Ryan Connors - that Lady Liberty had given him, and Gaius Aurelius and all that he was began to fade into a distant memory and he treated it as a nightmare best forgotten. He even assumed the codename of Orion to distance himself a little more from his legacy.

Dr. Mayhem discovered the youth, and determined to prove exactly what Ryan wanted so desperately to believe – that he was no scion of Centurion and that was not worthy of the name. They clashed repeatedly, leaving Ryan shaken to the core on several occasions and losing his sense of self. It was one such encounter that actually finally determined once and for all who the young man was, is, and will be.

Ryan had developed friends outside of Claremont, and Mayhem discovered them. In a ruthless plan he attempted to destroy them one at a time in order to weed out the “False Gladius.” Orion appealed to the Alterni-Teens for help and his friends were rescued. In the ensuing confrontation with Mayhem, Orion’s uniform was shredded and the hero was very near total defeat at the hands of the madman. As Dauntless moved to help, Lady Liberty appeared and gently held him back. She told the team that this was Orion’s fight and there was far more than a loss at the hands of Mayhem at stake for the young man.

Mayhem’s final trap proved the end of Orion. But not in the way that he had intended. Thrown into a burning building, his friends could no longer stand by and watch. Despite Liberty’s plea, they subdued Mayhem, Dauntless and Magni Thorson attempted to destroy his Battlesuit. The others turned to help Orion, but in that second a rebirth happened. Mayhem held his own against the team, apparently having been toying with Orion until this point. Behind the battle, the building collapsed just as Orion exploded from the roof, holding the hands of the two people that the Alterni-Teens had had not been able to find. His protective powers extended over them he touched down next to Relentless, his costume barely hanging on to his battered body.

His face, strangely bereft of emotion, he turned to face Mayhem. As if sensing him behind them, the Teens moved aside. Orion’s hand clamped down on the armour, and the battlesuit flew apart in pieces. In shock, Mayhem was defeated while Orion returned to the Academy to recover from the battle. He was quiet for days, the only sounds coming from his room the riffs he would play on the guitar. He refused to talk to anyone, he refused to acknowledge or respond when addressed by name. He also refused to accept a replacement uniform.

Lady Liberty paid a visit to the Academy about a week later, a box under her arm. She nodded and smiled to all that greeted her, but proceeded to Ryan’s door. She opened it, not bothering to knock and the teen didn’t bother to look up. Putting the box down, she asked a simple question. “Who are you?” Startled, he acknowledged her by looking up. Answering her own question before he could say anything, she told him what she thought. “You are Ryan Connors. Who you were or what you think you were before arriving in Freedom City is irrelevant. A week ago, you showed us courage, strength, wisdom and compassion. You showed us that we can count on our friends and to ask for help when it is needed. You showed us what it means to be a hero. You may have been created to be something or someone in another reality. On this world, you are very much more than that. When you’re ready, open the box.”

Liberty left, not waiting for a reply, pausing to talk to the Alterni-Teens. As she prepared to return to Freedom Hall, the assembled students stopped talking one at a time and their gazes fell on the figure of Orion. The uniform he now wore was gold and blue with white highlights. The resemblance to Centurion’s costume was there, but it was not a copy. Liberty smiled and asked, “And, what is your answer?”

“I am Ryan Connors. I am Gladius.”
Last edited by Bladewind on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Prof Weird

Post by Prof Weird »

Powerhouse, you say ?
PW tosses coin into the Cesspit of Fetid Failures, and Lo ! What burbles to the surface but :

Lithos, PL 11, 170 pp. 3 skill points/PP, (except for combat skills)
Hair : Long, black
Eyes : iridescent emerald green on black
Height : 6' 0" human form, 9' 0" living stone form
Weight : 120 lbs (human form), 1600 lbs (Stone form)
Known family : mother (Maria, high school English teacher), father (Carlos, general contractor), older brother (Marcus, lawyer), younger brother (William, industrial chemist)
Alternate form : looks like a giant woman carved out of volcanic glass, with three glowing yellow eyes (the third one grants Subterranean Senses when open).
Concept : crystalline Powerhouse
Abilities : STR 3/14 STA 3/13 AGL 2 DEX 2 FGT 5 INT 2 AWE 2 PRE 1 (40 pp)

Advantages : Ultimate Effort (Toughness), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Accurate Attack, Interpose, Multilingual, Improvised Tools, Connected, Teamwork, Close Atk 1, Second Chance : Treatment [ 11 pp]

Skills [ 19 pp] : Acrobatics 3 (+5), Persuasion 4 (+5), Intimidation 4 (+5/+6*), Investigation 3 (+5), Insight 4 (+6), Perception 5 (+7), Expertise : Sculpture 9 (+11), Expertise : Science 3 (+5), Expertise : History 4 (+6), Expertise : EMT 3 (+5), Treatment 3 (+5)

Combat skills : Close Combat (unarmed) 2 (+8), Ranged Atk (Throwing) 6 (+8)
Totals : 8/2 (4 pp) in Combat skills, 45/3 (15 pp) in other is 19
* value when Alternate form active

Defenses : Dodge +7, Parry +3, Fort +0, Will +7 [ 17 pp]
(final scores : Toughness +13*/+3, Dodge +9, Parry +9, Fort +13*/+3, Will +9. Impervious Tou 8)
Offenses :
Unarmed :
+14 damage, +8 to hit
Melee otherwise : +14 damage, +6 to hit
Trips, Grabs : +14 to maintain (victim also at -5 due to Improved Hold), +6 to hit
Ranged (throwing) : +14 damage, +8 to hit
Shockwave : DC26/DC20 vs Tou damage, Burst Area
Ear clap : DC24 vs Will
Thunderclap : DC17/DC13 vs Fort Affliction
Quicksand : DC21/DC15 vs Dodge Affliction
Initiative : +3
Powers :
Power Lifting 2 [ 2pp] (lift mass rank 5 [1600 lbs] base; rank 16 [1600 tons] in Alternate form)
Immunity 12 (Critical hits, Life Support) [ 12 pp]
Reconstitution : Regeneration 6 (Flaw : source - earth) [ 3 pp]
Siliceous Insinuation : Movement : Permeate 1 (Limit : earthen materials only) [ 1 pp]

Alternate Form (Living Stone); Activation : Move (-1) for 65 pp
Growth 2 (Permanent, +0), linked to Density 2 (Permanent, +0) [ 8 pp] - grants +4 STR, +4 STA, -1 active defenses, +1 Intimidation, -2 Stealth, etc
Graceful Giantess : Enhanced Traits 2 : Dodge +1, Parry +1 [ 2 pp]
Feature : Hands like tools (mostly to carve metal and stone with just fingertips) [ 1 pp]
Enhanced STR 7, Enhanced STA 6, Impervious 8 on Toughness (Noticeable) [ 33 pp]
Leaping 10 [ 10 + 2 pp] - 1 mile/move action (as far as she could throw her weight = rank 8 )
  • AP : Cutting Loose (Penetrating 10 on unarmed damage)
    AP : Subterranean movement : Burrowing 9, Subtle
(Burrowing speed rank of 4 in loose soil, 3 in packed earth/clay, 1 through rock)
Subterranean Senses : Darkvision, Vision Penetrates Concealment (earthen materials only), Distance Sense, Direction Sense [ 6 pp]
STR damage array (14 pp base) : [0 + 4 pp]
  • AP : Shockwave (Burst Area Damage 11 (Area +1, Limit : ground contact -1))
    AP : Quicksand (Burst Area Affliction 11 (Resist with Dodge, Overcome by Damage; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile, Extra Condition +1, Limited Degree -1, Targets must be on the ground -1, Burst Area +1)
    AP : Ear Clap - Affliction 14 (Resist and Overcome with Will : Dazed and Impaired/Disabled and Stunned; Extra Condition +1, Limited Degree -1)
    AP : Thunderclap : Affliction 7 (Cone Area Affliction, resist/recover with Fort; Dazed and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Stunned; Extra Condition +1, Limited Degree -1)
Abilities 40 + Advantages 11 + Skills + 19 + Defenses 17 + Powers 83 = 170/170

Complications :
Motivation :
Responsibility. There are a LOT of over-powered idiots out there, and she is currently one of the few strong enough to effectively deal with them. And rescue folk endangered by said idiots.
“O, it is excellent To have a giant's strength, but it is tyrannous to use it like a giant.” ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure
Thrills and Adventure ! : Best way to see foreign works of art is TO GO THERE, since some nations refuse to let their artwork leave the country (and due to sheer number of thieves and weirdos trying to steal mystical artifacts, such an opinion is quite understandable). Travels quite a bit; essentially, as often as she can.

Quirk : distrusts vigilantes and tomb raiders/graverobbers.
Relationship (family) : Even though they live on the opposite side of the country (natively from Osceola, FL), she keeps in contact as much as she can.
Responsibilities : between making replicas for museums, commissioned for sculptures or stonework, and being a first responder, Petra has more than a few demands of her time.
Weakness : vibratory attacks. Since her alternate form is crystalline, vibrations harm her a bit more than usual (considered Hindered vs all sonic/vibratory attacks).

Background :
Petra grew up in Osceola, Florida. A few miles away from Winter Park - home of the Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden, and the Crealde School of Art. She was always fascinated by sculpture, so took as many courses about it as she could.
About ten years ago, she was in the Yucatan studying local sculpture within what geologists know as the Chixulub crater, and found some interesting stone to sculpt.

While carving it, her chisel slipped and she injured herself, getting some of the meteoric dust into her bloodstream (this stone had cryptic variations in hardness). Later found out that some of the dust were quasi-life crystals : complex chains of minerals that can perform limited organic catalysis. They became part of a symbiotic relationship with her cells - they could utilize background radiation to generate ATP without the need for oxygen or other electron acceptors. Meaning she didn't need to breathe anymore, and her metabolism worked differently - she got hungry, but much slower than she'd expect.

Months later she found out the quasi-life crystals granted other, more 'interesting' abilities - her physical strength increased, and she could sort of slip through earth and stone without disturbing it. Within a year, the last of the effects occurred - she could convert her own flesh into living stone. With a massive increase in weight, strength and toughness.

She was not the sort to fall into the 'starving artist' cliche - she knew that becoming famous and rich as an artist was a longshot, and so kept herself busy.

The best use of her free time (which she had some control over) was to become a First Responder. Once she got her powers, she started to specialize a bit more as an Extrication Specialist.

Once she heard that Bay City was being built, she figured there would be more job opportunities out there than back home, so she left to find her way out there.

But it seemed her super abilities were called upon more often than she'd like - apparently, super strength and incredible toughness are a VERY common powers for people to get. And for some peculiar reason, the only thing people think to do with them - is hit stuff.
Although she could fix and repair the damage done from super brawls and temper tantrums, she thought it would be better to stop the idiots BEFORE they make too big a mess.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I'll do corrections to Vigilante after my Fight's done,as it wouldn't be fair to Catsi otherwise....:)
Ghost of Krypton

Post by Ghost of Krypton »

Phoenix Flame
Education: Last Student of the Revered Shaoqing; Resplendent Phoenix
Date of Birth: September 17, 1993 [24 yrs.]
Base of Operations: Bay City, CA; USA
Height: 1.71m [5'7"]
Weight: 71.2kg [157lbs.]
Eyes: Black; styled, short.
Hair: Blue-Grey
Race: East Asian; Chinese-Korean descent
Identity: Public
Legal Status: Temporary Resident of the United States with no Criminal Record.
Relationships:
  • Tsu Yang Zhìyuan [Father; b. 1969; d. 1999]
  • Tsu Yang Kwai [Mother; b. 1971; d. 1999]
  • Tsu Yang Song [Twin Sister; b. 1993, Age: 24 yrs.]
  • Shaoqing, the Resplendent Phoenix [Master & Mentor; b. ???; d. 2015]
Attributes: 8 + 12 + 14 + 0 + 24 + 0 + 6 + 4 = 68PP
Strength: 4
Stamina: 6
Agility: 7
Dexterity: 0
Fighting: 12
Intelligence: 0
Awareness: 3
Presence: 2

Defenses: 5 + 0 + 3 + 10 = 18PP
Dodge: 12/16 [7 AGI, 5PP; Enhanced Trait]
Parry: 12/16 [12 FGT; Enhanced Trait]
Fortitude: 9 [6 STA, 3PP]
Toughness: 6/10 [6 STA; Protection]
Will: 13 [3 AWE, 10PP]

Advantages: 23PP
Agile Feint
Close Attack 4
Defensive Attack
Evasion 2
Extraordinary Effort
Improved Defense
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Trip
Language 2
Luck 2
Power Attack
Set Up 1
Skill Mastery [Acrobatics]
Takedown 2
Ultimate Effort [Will Check]
Uncanny Dodge

Skills: 78R = 26PP
Acrobatics 9 (+16)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Expertise: Chi Healing 8 (+8)
Expertise: Philosophy & Theology 8 (+8)
Insight 9 (+12)
Perception 9 (+12)
Persuasion 6 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 12 (+12)
Stealth 5 (+12)
Treatment 8 (+8)

Powers: 18 + 9 + 3 + 2 + 3 = 35PP
Damage 2 (Fiery Phoenix Fist; STR-based DC 21; Extras: Penetrating 6, Secondary Effect; Advantages: Improved Critical 2; 2 AE's) [18PP] (Chi, Fire)
  • AE: Affliction 8 (Chi Disrupting Strike; DC 18; 1st: Dazed; Vulnerable, 2nd: Stunned, Defenseless, 3rd: Paralyzed, Will Resists; Extras: Extra Condition, Precise; Flaws: Inaccurate 1) [16/16] (Chi, Spirit)
    AE: Healing 8 (Cleansing Chi; Extras: Restorative; Flaws: Tiring) [16/16] (Chi, Spirit)
Enhanced Trait 8 (Dancing Phoenix Stance: Dodge 4 [16], Parry 4 [16]; 1 AE) [9PP] (Chi, Training)
  • AE: Multiple Effects: Protection 4, Impervious TOU 8 (Furious Resolve Form; Extras on Impervious TOU: Limited (Only vs Melee Damage) [4+4/8] (Chi, Spirit)
Senses 2 (Blind Fighting; Accurate (Normal Hearing) [2PP] (Training)
Movement 3 (Floating Phoenix; Safe Fall, Wall Crawling 2; Flaws: Limited (Safe Fall: Drops of 30' or less), Limited (Wall Crawling: Begin or End movement on level surface)) [3PP] (Training)
Speed 2 (Training & Conditioning;8mph, 120 ft/rnd; 1 AE) [3PP] (Training)
  • AE: Leaping 2 (Training & Conditioning; Leap 30ft) [2/2] (Training)
Abilities [68PP] + Defenses [18PP] + Advantages [23PP] + Skills [26PP] + Powers [35PP] = 170PP

Combat:
Initiative: +11 [7 AGI, Improved Initiative 1]
Unarmed: +16, DC 19 TOU [Melee; Crit 20]
Fiery Phoenix Fist: +16, DC 21 TOU [Melee; Penetrating 6, Secondary Effect; Crit 18-20]
Chi Disrupting Strike: +14, DC 18 WILL [Melee Affliction; Precise; Dazed, Vulnerable; Stunned, Defenseless; Paralyzed; Crit 20]
Complications:
Honor: Path of the Phoenix: A follower and practitioner of Shaoqing's teachings, Zhou has made vows to uphold those traditions by his own actions and deeds. He may not abuse his own authority, nor serve those who have been corrupted by their own. As a martial artist he leads an austere life and will not strive to accumulate wealth, power or prestige; the only thing he has sworn to gather is information, no matter how rare so it can be preserved and protected, to be shared with his fellow man.
Weakness: Song's Serpentine Style: Zhou's twin sister, Tsu Yang Song, has learned the Phoenix style alongside her brother for a great many years before abandoning it's teachings in her single minded pursuit of vengeance. As such she has an intricate knowledge of it's techniques and maneuvers, Zhou suffers a -2 Circumstance Penalty to his Attack Checks & any Active Defense, such as Dodge & Parry, while confronting his sister, also she is immune to any Feint attempts made by Zhou.
Power Loss: Insatiable Fires of the Phoenix: The Phoenix style is highly internalized, and as such requires intense focus and dedication to master. Zhou must meditate for at least two hours a day to balance and replenish his Chi or else he gains the Fatigued condition when he activates either his Offensive or Defensive Chi arrays, if he activates both Arrays the conditions stack, and he becomes Exhausted. The Fatigue, or Exhaustion, will not recover until such time as he has had a chance to meditate, thereby re-balancing his depleted chi reserves.
Responsibility: Wisdom of the Phoenix Masters: Zhou is burdened with the knowledge of his forebears, and as the last living student of Shaoqing, the Resplendent Phoenix, has a responsibility to pass along the style to those who would learn it, otherwise it will be forgotten and lost to time. As he has received the knowledge, however tenuous, of his master, he has been conferred the title of Master by the Shamballa Vale, and they will, on occassion, call for the return of all their masters should a crisis of import threaten the Vale itself.
Rivalry: Enmity of Sister Song: Zhou & his siter, Song, have a complicated relationship. She does not hate her brother, however, she sees his devotion to the pacifistic teachings of the Phoenix as idealistic and not practical, whereas she simply wishes to avenge the death of their parents, and use her skills and training to make the way in the world. Whereas Zhou feels that Song has been corrupted by the teachings of Sho-ming, and her devotion to the treacherous Snake style, and seeks to guide her towards a path of redemption. Whether this is possible is a mystery in and of itself, however Zhou feels he must at least try.
Background: Zhou and his sister, Song, were born to the Tsu Yang family in southern China. Their family, a mixture of Chinese and Korean descent led an agrarian life on the Yalu River delta. However massive flooding in 1999 devastated the region, sweeping the twins away from their family.

Zhou and his sister were discovered half drowned and near death by a woman who identified herself as Shaoqing. A skilled healer, she was able to apply poultice to rise bones and torn ligaments, while teaching the twins breathing exercises to allow them to balance their chi. She travelled overland with the youths evading North Korean Patrols, Chinese Republic Military, and marauding bands of looters. In time Shaoqing and her charges discovered that the Tsu Yang elder, searching for the missing twins, had refused to vacate the flooded ruins of their farmland. The refusal caused the looters, who had banded together under the authority of a local Chinese Republic official. An example was made of the Tsu Yang family, and it was this gruesome scene which greeted the twins return to their family's home.

A junior officer in the People's Republic of China Armed Forces, Weisheng Jung, had been the one to order the Tsu Yang's execution, and when Song discovered this she pleaded with Shaoqing to avenge her parents. The benevolent master, sympathetic for their loss, tried to explain the ultimate futility of vengeance and violence through the peaceful movements and meditations taught by the masters of the Shamballa Vale.

Shaoqing continued introducing the twins to the fundamental techniques of the Resplendent Phoenix, an internal style which harnessed the practitioner’s spiritual energy, or chi. Slowly the trio returned to their mentors residence within the fabled Shamballa Vale.

The twins spent the next decade under the tutelage of Shaoqing, the Resplendent Phoenix, learning both classic techniques, and those hidden techniques passed on only to a master's favored students. Even during their training, Song never forgot their master's refusal to avenge their family and slay the man responsible, Weisheng Jung.

In time Song's desire for retribution drove a rift between herself and her brother, Zhou, when she spurned Shaoqing's teachings and began to study under her rival, Master Sho-ming Xio founder of the secretive Nine Serpent Style.

The rift between the twins further developed when Zhou discovered that Song was planning to flee the valley to pursue vengeance against Weisheng Jung. His sister, intimately familiar with the Phoenix style was able to paralyze her brother with a series of Snake style nerve strikes. The Shamballa Masters, who Zhou had alerted to his sister's deception intervened, as it would be unseemly for two students to kill one another in a duel. As such their respective masters, Shaoqing and Sho-ming Xio dueled in their students place.

The battle was fierce, Sho-ming feinting with the same nerve strikes that had paralyzed Zhou. However, the Phoenix master was well acquainted with the deceptive movements of the Snake style developed by her rival. She countered with her fiery Phoenix technique, Sho-ming countered with an aggressive block, striking a nerve cluster in Shaoqing’s shoulder numbing her arm. Pressing the advantage, he approached her stance from the injured side, when she revealed the deception, she had lured her opponent into range of her most secret of techniques. Sho-ming was awed by the flawless maneuver, Flames of Phoenix Ascend the Heavens. A massive chi strike focused on the center of her rival's chakras, Sho-ming collapsed his chi ignited, consuming his flesh.

The duel won, Shaoqing, unable to sacrifice the code she had instilled in her student, would not allow death to take her rival. Expending the last of her chi, to extinguish the flames which threatened to consume Sho-ming, saving his life, an example of the mercy which characterized Shaoqing's teachings.

The Masters of the Vale decreed that Song would attend her master, Sho-ming, while he recovered from the duel with the Phoenix master. However, once her master recovered Song would be banished from the Vale. During this time the two plotted to destroy the Phoenix, stealing her secrets while she was still weakened from her massive expenditure of chi.

Song, armed with her knowledge of the Phoenix style, the corrupting chi techniques of her Mentor, and the enervating extract of the lotus blossom Song crept into Shaoqing's chambers and poisoned her brother, the toxin placing him into a state of wakeful paralysis. He watched, helpless, as she crept towards his master who was deep in meditation, drained of her chi, and unaware of Song's approach.

As the blade struck home, Zhou heard his master’s voice urging him to witness the final secret of the Phoenix Style. Even as his master died to his sister's blade his senses were flooded with the memories of the Phoenix masters from Shaoqing to those who developed the style upon discovering the Vale millennia ago.

After his recovery Zhou, too, left the Vale, with the blessing of the Shamballa Masters, in an attempt to locate his sister, Song. There has been some debate among the Masters as to whether Zhou seeks song for revenge or redemption, either choice, they decided, would be acceptable.
Last edited by Ghost of Krypton on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:42 am, edited 8 times in total.
Supernaturalist

The Shaper

Name: Antonio Golozzo
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 180 lbs
Hair: Black
Skin: Olive / White
Native Language: Italian

PL 11 (170)

Abilities (28)
STR 1 AGI 1 FIT 3 AWA 2
STA 0 DEX 0 INT 2 PRE 5

Powers (88pp)
Molecular control: Dynamic Array (74pp) ; (88pp)
. . "Bonding" Create 18 (Continuous, Movable, Precise, Limited: Must have Pre-Existing Matter, Dynamic) (74pp)
. . . . "Disintegration" Damage 14 (Ranged, Dynamic) (28pp)
. . . . "Matter-Barrier" Protection 14 (Impervious 13, Dynamic) (27pp)
. . . . "Transmutation" Transform 8 (200lbs) (Anything into Anything Else, Continuous, Expertise Check (DC 14), Ranged, Limited to Inanimate Objects, Dynamic) (40pp)
. . . . "Reassemble" Teleport 10 [Attack (res. by Dodge), Ranged, Change Velocity, Change Direction, Increased Mass 10 (25 tons), Dynamic]. (42pp)
. . . . "Self-Reassemble" Teleport 10 [Extended, Easy, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Dynamic] (42pp)
. . . . "Alteration" Affliction 14 [Res. by Fortitude, Ranged, (Dazed, Stunned, Transformed (Any Like-Creature of Equal Mass)), Dynamic] (28pp)
. . . . "Molecular Senses" Senses 7 [Microscopic Vision 4(Atomic-Sized), All Visual (Analytical) 2, Normal Touch (Acute, Analytical) 2, Dynamic] (8pp)

Advantages (5)
All-Out Attack, Attractive, Benefit 2(Independently Wealthy), Power Attack

Skills (18/54)
Deception: 5 + 5 = 10
Expertise: Business 8 + 2 = 10
Expertise: Science 3 + 2 = 5
Expertise :Art 8 + 2 = 10
Insight: 3 + 2 = 5
Intimidation: 1 + 9 = 10
Languages 2 (Spanish, French, English)
Perception 5 + 2 = 7
Persuasion 5 + 7 + (2) = 12 (14)
Ranged combat: molecular control 8 + 0 = 8

Defenses (31)
TOU 14/0
DODGE: 1 + 7 = 8
FORT: 1 + 10 = 11
PARRY: 3 + 5 = 8
WILL: 2 + 9 = 11

Total
Abilities 28 + Powers 88 + Advantages 5 + Skills 18/54 + Defenses 31 = 170

Complications
Motivation: Fame
Antonio is not a bad man, but he is somewhat self-absorbed. He loves fame, beauty and wealth. His unmerited powers have given him the chance to reach even greater heights in all three areas.

Jumped-Up Somebody - Although Antonio was hardly a nobody before his powers manifested, he did nothing to deserve his powers nor are they an innate part of who he is. Unfortunately, he doesn't realize this. Losing his powers could have profound psychological effects on him.

Host to a higher power - Antonio also doesn't realize that his power-source is entity far greater in might than himself. Whether the entity is beneficent, benign, or baleful is yet to be determined. Furthermore, it's quite possible that Antonio (a pawn?) has a larger part to play in this entities designs.

Feedback - Antonio wields a power that he doesn't fundamentally understand. If he attempts to Create from (or Transform objects from/into) substances which are not common, he risks damaging himself should he fail a roll. The feedback can be mitigated by his "force field" if he has it activated. GM can allow an Expertise: Science roll for substances in the "grey area" between common and uncommon.

Background:
A creator and dealer of art-work. Antonio operates a handful of galleries in North American and Europe. A self-styled "Bon Vivant" and playboy, he was plagued by a series of debilitating headaches and hallucinations following an overseas flight from Rome to Washington, D.C.

Upon recovery, he found himself "awoken" to his new powers. At first, he hardly believed his fortune, that he had indeed entered the world of the meta-humans. Discretion would have been wise, but Antonio's impulsive nature lead him to experiment wildly with his powers. Only two months later, he was hospitalized after going into cardiac arrest from a failed attempt to turn a stone into a block of pure platinum. Undeterred, he began to read books on chemistry, physics, and engineering, which explains his new found passion to understand his powers. Still, he is a newcomer to the sciences and is far from mastery of the knowledge necessary to wield his powers to their fullest.

He is confident of himself though, perhaps unduly so. He longs for the day that he'll be able to put his powers to the test against the villains of the world. So enthralled has he been with this powers that he has not seriously questioned their nature and origin. His friends and family, as well as the authorities are unnerved by this recent transformation. He is being watched cautiously.
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.