[IC] MnM 3e - Hunter the Reckoning

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - Hunter the Reckoning

Post by Flynnarrel »

Brother Blane looks at the tracks leading to and from the broken fence.
Perception: 1d20+5 15
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Wed May 20, 2020 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Alan
When Alan looks around the cafeteria he does not see anyone he would recognise from the attack on the gas station. Certainly no one with grievious wounds such as Hugo and Donald. Guiding Alan along a bank of windows nurse Martha Teagarden, that's what her name tag read, shorted her stride so as to slow the pace at which she moved. Perhaps due to the conversation Alan struck up or perhaps to give him a chance to look outside and see something other than the inside of a hospital. Out the windows was nothing special. Some bushes with blossoming pick flowers, and beyond them a trees skirting a sparsely populated parking lot at the back of the building that seemed to be reserved for staff.

"A boy and two men, yes. I know about them. I can't give you details. Patient privacy must be maintained. They're alive, but not doing well from what I've heard."

Without giving Alan a chance to dig into the subject anymore nurse Teagarden hopped to a new subject.

"Would you like to get something to eat? No solids for you, but perhaps we can find something other than J-ello. Maybe some soup or cream of wheat."

Angela and Blane
"Some punks busted it down."

Across the fenced in field, away from the road, there is a small single story house and a barn. Both buildings have their backs facing a patch of trees that extend around to the right side of the field when you face the building. On that same side of fencing, facing the trees to the right, there is another gap. The wire fencing broken down and pushed inward toward the field.

While Angela looks into the distance to get a bigger picture of the property and it's layout Blane takes in the immediate area around the twelve feet or so of broken wire fencing. It would have taken a lot of effort to bust down. It was meant to hold cattle in check, so it was reasonable sturdy. The area around the hole has a lot of shoe prints, and even a few prints that look like hooves or paw prints. But what draws Blane's eye is a scrap of torn and dirt caked yellow cloth half hidden amongst clods of dirt and grass near the edge of the break on the fence.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Blane heads over and picks up the scrap of yellow fabric [Presumably] a match to a yellow sundress Blane recalls on one of the zombies the day before.

"Yeah. I recognize this from the gang that attacked us yesterday at the minimart. And I can see they tore through the other side too." he shows it to both Angela and the farmer and gesturing to the opposite torn side. He addresses the farmer. "And had you heard of the other things in the area? Strange symbols? Animal mutilations? People gone missing?" He said, naming the classic tropes from movies, shotgun style to see if anything stuck or registered with the local.
Edit:
Insight: 1d20+7 14
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Angela and Blane
As BLane talks about the gang attack and the fabric the other man looks between the priest, the woman with him, the fabric, and the two holes in his fencing. He listens wordlessly until Blane starts acting about weirdness in the area. At this his brow furrows.

"Yeah … strange lights in the sky and weird noises at night."

The baseball cap wearing man's tone had turned sarcastic when he mentioned light sin the sky and strange noises.

"You some kind of UFO nut?"

He didn't seem to actually want an answer to the question, because he didn't give Blane or Angela a chance to respond. Instead he gestured toward the truck the had drove up in.

"Get out of here. I'm working."

While he man seemed genuinely irritated that Blane was intruding on his word with strange questions, he also got the feeling he was holding something back. His eyes having lingered on the distance portion of fencing near the trees for a bit longer than felt normal when Blane indicated it earlier.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Sir, we don't want to take any more of your time, but we would like to track these people back and maybe find their headquarters. I'm very concerned about the havoc they've caused and what me might find at their place of origin. Will you let us through this field and tell us anything you know of the land beyond?" Blane asks.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Alan T. Darwin
HP: 3
-{o}-'

Insight; understand the reasoning behind her question dodging: 21

Alan considers her for a moment, while paying the food options available to him the right amount of attention in turn. "I don't suppose you have a 'soup of the day', do you?"
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Alan
Alan isn't a mind reader. He can't intuit the woman's thoughts from a couple seconds of conversation. She did, however, mention patient privacy very clearly and did nothing to hide that as her reason for withholding information. A patient's medical affairs are confidential, and as a medical professional Martha would be remiss in her duty were she to tell Alan the details of someone else' affairs.

"Chicken noodle."

… came a voice like sandpaper grinding on concrete. The voice of someone who'd probably been smoking as long as Alan had been alive. Across from him and Maratha, behind the counter was the wrinkled gray haired woman he'd seen seeing to everyone's purchases when he and nurse Teagarden first entered. Looking at her, and hearing her talk, there was an instinctive expectation that she would cough into her hand then use that same hand to deliver food to Alan. Or maybe cough directly into his food. But she didn't so much as wheeze. Instead she used a ladle to scooped up some brothy soup into a plastic bowel. Without any fan fair or pleasantries she set the bowel down in front of him. It didn't look the most appetizing. The noodles were bloated and mooshy and soggy looking. There were small fragments of something else mixed in with the yellow broth. It might have been chicken meat.

Blane and Angela

The man's brow furrowed and he turned to face Blane full on now, his work put aside. A brief cursory look was given to the mismatched pair before he spoke again.

"You the police? Got a badge? No? Then yeah, I mind. Don't you go snooping around my property either. Let the authorities do their job."

With a jerk of his chin he uses the gesture to send them off. Almost like a silent 'get lost'.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Reverend, I think we should leave this good man to get his work done," Angela says, emphasizing the word 'reverend'. "Good day."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

The priest acknowledges Angela with a nod but addresses the farmer. "Police? No. But we're citizens with an interest in making this world a better place before whatever happened... " he gestures to the far end to the other break in the fence, "... there and elsewhere around your area - you know, those things that are trying to pretend aren't there but are still keeping you awake in the silent, cold hours of the night - before those things come for you and yours. And people like us, the people who care, are in short supply these days." Blane wedges his business card in a crack in the wood of the fencing. "Good day and the Blessings of the Lord be upon you." he says before turning to leave.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Alan T. Darwin
-{o}-

It was interesting that hearing the old woman speak merely reminded him of his unfulfilled need, but he still lacked his things to make it happen. His fingers had been tapping the arm of his transport for awhile now, the absent fidgeting having gone unnoticed until he'd forced his hands to still. "The soup will be fine."

Alan likely finds himself at a table not long after that, taking his time eating what was possibly only moderately considered to be healthy. Why a hospital of all places would serve such awful food never sat right with him, but who was he to argue with them now? No, those thoughts were shunted away into the strict category of 'irrelevant' while the man observed the other patients and staff currently occupying the cafeteria. Searching, perhaps, for some hint or sign that something might've been remiss. A tension among some of the orderlies perhaps, people that looked unusually tired or overworked, or maybe even something more... overt. Things that the typical observer might find to be no-note, but for someone in the know such as he, the picture becoming just a little bit clearer.

Not sure if Perception or Insight would best apply, but I have the same bonuses for both.
------------
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Alan
OOC wrote:We'll use that roll for a Perception check. If you want to make an Insight check later, you may do so.
After receiving his soup Alan was wheeled over to a table by a window. Once he was in place at the edge of the table nurse Teagarden stepped away to give Alan some space and moved to a table consisting of other nurses where she began conversing with them. Alan was in a hospital cafeteria. Almost every member of the staff present looked tired and overworked. None of the patients looked well. All of the people he estimated were guests looked down, sober, or distracted.

As his gaze pans over the room, his focus and scrutiny of details in the cafeteria intensifies. Alan's vision, even with glasses, has some imperfections. But not now. Not when he was focused on the search for the supernatural. Everything was clear. One person stood out in the crowd though. A brown haired man in a nurse's uniform who was reading a thick novel and eating what looked like a potpie. Alan looked at him and immediate and felt he was wrong. He had slightly tanned skin, suggesting he spent regular time in the sun, but it was paling. As though some of the life had been drained out of him. His veins were a dark grey and budged outwards disgustingly. There was also a faint impression on the skin of his left forearm. It looked like teeth marks. When Alan looked to the nurse's name tag he read it: Ryan Dirkwood, Head Nurse.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Alan T. Darwin
-{o}-

He sees, and he acknowledges. What he can't let it control him, not like it had this morning when that young man- whatever he might have been- visited his room. This was an opportunity that he wasn't willing to let pass up because of this strange primal fear he felt as a human, this sheer awareness that Dirkwood wasn't human. Not anymore at least.

Taking the bowl with one hand, he carefully started to navigate his wheelchair with the other while his accompanying nurse was distracted. The book being read was something familiar to Alan, a fascinating look cellular biology and the possibilities therein. Though some of the later parts were far more abstract for his tastes, seemingly uprooted from reality. Well. The reality as he had previously understood it at least.

"I should've expected to see fans of Greg Bear's work around here, yet I still find myself surprised even then." He starts amicably. "Alan Darwin. Mind if I join you for a span?"
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Assuming no last minute coming to his senses, Brother Blane will leave the recalcitrant farmer. Assuming Angela gets in the truck as well he'll drive them to visit the generous donor that could use a visit. Blane will check in with the parishioner and collect the food for Hope's Light.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Angela gets in the truck with Blane as he drives off she looks back and says, "Think he was hiding something? He was uneasy. But I don't it was normal for him to feel uneasy."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Alan
Alan begins to push on the wheel of his chair and in that strain before actual movement and momentum is built up he feels a pang of pain in his ribs. The image of a bloated fowl smelling corpse tackling him to the ground flashed through his mind's eye. For an instant he could feel that dead body on top of him. See it. Smell it. The moment passed and Alan was wheeling his way over to Ryan's table.

The male nurse lowered his book, blue eyes looking to find the source of the voice that called to him. Finding Alan in his wheel chair he seemed to take in the image rather than respond initially. Eventually, by the time Alan had already reached the table, Ryan motions to the space across from him. While speaking he slips a piece of paper between the pages of his book and closes it before setting the book down on the table.

"How are you enjoying your stay Alan?"