[OOC] MnM 3e - The First Generation, one-shot

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [OOC] MnM 3e - The First Generation, one-shot

Post by Sakuro »

You do not need to edit Maryanne's internal monologue. You may if you like. She is aware of those things, unless you as a player choose to have her overlook them.

EDIT:
Something else you could do, is have Maryanne revaluate people when she meets them face to face. Such as Mel and Russel now.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Given Maryanne is a social chameleon, Russel may need to make an Insight check versus Maryanne's Deception. Unless MelonLord is good with Russel sizing her up without a check.

As for the read on Rodney, I'll include that in my next IC post.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I tried to describe that Russel, who's used to reading people at a glance, got little to nothing from her. Like when the Cumberbatch Sherlock Holmes on the BBC series first met Irene Adler and there were only question marks around her. But I understand your concern. How would you like to play it melonlord? I had been trying to avoid PCs rolling against PCs and going off the fact that Sakuro said the PCs were very noticeable as compared to others at the party.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Noticeable unless they're making an effort to blend in. I suspected someone like Maryanne would try to mask her nature.

Don't think of these rolls as PvP. It isn't a competition. It is more of a role play aid to gauge what your character is aware of, while being fair to both characters. The rolls aren't strictly necessary either if you want to talk it out as Flynnarrel requested.
melonLord

Post by melonLord »

Flynnarrel: You know, I do actually like the idea of Russel being able to get a read on Maryanne early on despite her excellent social deception skills, could be interesting.

Here's an idea I had: Maryanne actually is a tad taken aback by Rodney's response (she had been expecting him to try and lie/dodge out of it in favor of what looked to her like pursuit of an important task), so I could say that for a fraction of a second she lost her composure and Russel (the one with the greatest eye for detail and who happened to be looking directly at her) was able to get a good read on her - even better than what you described, actually.

If you're alright with that idea I can just describe what he sees in my next IC post. If not, probably better to just handle it as Deception v Insight then, since she is actively making an effort to blend in, and would just appear normal and uninteresting without very close scrutiny. If you make another one I'll put the Deception roll and what he's able to see in my next IC.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I assumed Mel would recognize Jaime from his boy band days. If not, I can edit that bit out.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I'm fine with that. It makes sense that someone at the party would recognize him from the band.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

melonLord wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:07 am If you're alright with that idea I can just describe what he sees in my next IC post. If not, probably better to just handle it as Deception v Insight then, since she is actively making an effort to blend in, and would just appear normal and uninteresting without very close scrutiny. If you make another one I'll put the Deception roll and what he's able to see in my next IC.
Sure. Feel free to expand on what Russel saw. He can always remember and put together impressions after the fact.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I hope my reveal was in the bounds of what you said Russel picked up from Maryanne, also, I think the 'side conversation' between Mel and Jamie is happening concurrently with the conversation between Maryanne, Russel, Anika, and Rodney. Not to say Maryanne couldn't both monitor one conversation while taking part in another, just saying it's probably adjusting her DCs and what she hears.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I can do an appropriate roll if needed to keep the whisper unheard, but I am rolling with the relationship complication blocking her judgement. So, while she isn't being loud enough to be widely heard, someone close enough and trying to listen in might hear.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Thinking about it a bit, not everyone would know the details of the Dreaming and Dream Controllers. Russel was in a position where he could have. To connect the dots between someone trained in social matters and a Dream Controller is a leap. Even if MelonLord is ok with it, my instinct as a GM is to say it is too big of a leap.

Flynnarrel and I should edit our posts to account for that.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Jamie is talking quietly to Mel but not whispering. As with mrdent12, if anyone was close enough and trying to listen, they could hear the conversation.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Edited.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

I've edited my post as well. Sad that I had to drop the line about Russel calling Maryanne the mistress of his dreams.

Keep in mind, Russel may notice things about a person's aptitudes during this scene, but he should not be able to say "this is your specialized job or military unit". He may make assumptions or educated guesses, but that is it. There is a lot of knowledge and information Russel does not have access to, even if he is very observant.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Then I should ask: In your world, what kinds of jobs would a master of human behavior and sociological modelling with level of skill demonstrated by Maryanne be suited for? I assume in the Imperator's Utopia a person is put in the best role (or near enough) suited to their talents and disposition. The PCs are pretty specialized so some jumping to conclusions could be justified.

I'm trying to model Holmes's ability to identify someone as a carpenter or solicitor or security guard.