[IC] – M&M 3e – A New Heaven and New Earth - From What You have Fallen

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Supernaturalist

Re: [IC] – M&M 3e – A New Heaven and New Earth - From What You have Fallen

Post by Supernaturalist »

Robert Murray

Kana stands silently for a moment, taking in all you’ve told her. She nods her head affirmatively. “Yes, I’ll leave first. Give me about 15 minutes to make sure we’re out of the mall.

There’s just one more thing, detective. This man…I mentioned that he’s one of these mutants. He can do strange things. I’m not sure how he does it, but he can make things appear differently than they are.

She pauses as if struggling for ways to explain more clearly. “He can brighten or dim a room, make objects that look clear seem as a blur, and even make things seemingly disappear altogether. When he first came to intimidate my husband, he did these things to frighten my husband’s hired-help. It worked. He does these things to augment his already high level of training as a killer. And just as dangerous, detective, is his ruthlessness. My husband says they call him ‘Tantan’ because of his demeanor. He is emotionless and ’bland’ if you will. You could not create a robot that kills with less feeling than him.

Please be careful, detective. May fate smile upon you.

With these words she turns, opens the dressing room door, and quietly exits.
OOC: If there’s anything else you want to say or ask, you can do so before she leaves.

Arachne

Judith pats you on the back as she releases you from her hug. Wiping a tear from her eye, she shakes her head. “’I just can’t’ believe someone would try to kill you. I just don’t understand some people.

She sits down in a chair beside your bed. “When I heard about it on the news, I just couldn’t believe it. I mean…sending death-threats is one thing but killing someone. I just can’t wrap my brain around it.

Judith spends some time asking you questions about what happened at your flat that night. She tells you not to worry about the workshop. “My husband, Billy, is retired military. He also has a carry-permit. He’s agreed to come stay with me at the workshop during business hours for safety. Of course, I need your permission as it is your business. Is that ok?

I heard that Dr. Chanus talking to a cop outside the door while I was waiting to be let inside. Are you returning to work after you recover or going to some kind of mutant ‘support-facility’ down at Emory?

She manages to crack a smile. “ I mean…if you decide to go there for a bit that’s ok, but without you designing new product, there’s not gonna be any need for my job for very long.
OOC: After Judith leaves, you’ll be questioned by Detective Morris. Following that, Dr. Chanus will return to discuss ‘immersing’ you into a small, burgeoning mutant community on the Emory Campus. All (or some) of this may be incorporated into your next post if you wish.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Rebekah Yoder

Rebekah reaches out to gently stroke over Judith's cheek. "That is precious and I hope that you never do." she sighs a bit, "My friend, I need your help and your better judgement." a moment's pause, 'But first, do you know where Ms Brown is? I thought that she was going to be here 'soon' before I needed to speak with Detective Morris. It's not like her to be running so slowly, or at least not send word back."

A slow sigh, a chitter of her mandibles, nervousness really. "I need for you to not be my friend, but me a source of wisdom. Help me think of the bigger picture. If someone wealthy and connected was harassed by bigots, perhaps a bit more intent, but an all too common hatred." she frowns, getting lost in her sentence. "I think that I need to stay and not go into protective custody. I'm afraid of what that would mean to the community." she reaches up, brushing a finger across her compound eyes, "I'm really really afraid that they won't fail next time... and who around me could get hurt."

She pats Judith's hand, "No matter what you say, thank you. I'll make sure that you and the other employees are taken care of if I need to let you go. Write the severance checks, I'll sign them. Just leave me a little to start over?"

She tears again, "I haven't even been told what happened to the swarm, or what happened to the pieces."

Her shoulders begin to convulse as she breaks down. I don't know what happened. It's all a blur. I was looking at my own death and then woke up in the ER, where they were panicking, more trying to cover for themselves than take care of me."

"I don't know what I'm going to do."
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Robert Murray
CND: Fine
HP: 1

Robert listens to the description of Tantan's powers and listens without betraying his thoughts. The woman had already put her trust in him, no use in making her concerned he couldn't deliver on his end of the deal. Still, it would be tricky as even the best drag nets had holes and the killer seemed the sort that could slip through those holes with relative ease. For the fight, he wasn't too worried. If he could survive some gun shot wounds, big falls, and burns he could survive this. "Stay safe. I will deal with him.", says Robert to affirm his confidence.

Following her out 20 minutes later, just to be safe, Robert made his way to his car thinking. If this killer could vanish, it meant any idle call could be easily overheard in public on the off chance he was being followed. It was best not to risk calling he info in until he was safe in his car. Once back at his car, the first thing he did was check to see if the devices he planted were still in place. Looking about, he replayed the recorder he left to see if anything had happened or someone had broken in. In addition, he checked around the car for any signs the invisible killer was waiting for him.
OOC
The following assumes he doesn't see a sign of Tantan or hear anything to suggest someone is in the car/any trouble to the car while he was out.
Perception 7 heres hoping no one is waiting for him.
Once confident, Robert heads first thing back to the police HQ firing off a quick text to Pak before leaving. Heading back. Big news and will need to act fast. Will fill you in when I get back., is all it said. At this point, he had to be safe with information. During the drive, he didn't put on the radio and his demeanor upon arriving back at the HQ was less relaxed. It was clear from his expression that he had urgent business and his promptness on asking to get back up to Pak and the command center location was all he really said.
Pausing here as I covered a bit of ground and don't want to get too far ahead.
Supernaturalist

Robert Murray

Your walk around the car doesn’t reveal any signs of vandalism, nor is there any evidence of anyone lurking about the vehicle.

After you text Agent Pak, you get a response within a minute or so. “<Understood. I’ll have the two Deputy Chiefs present for your briefing.>"

It’s a good 30 minute drive in traffic from the northern part of ‘The Loop’ back to downtown. The radio stations are still periodically interrupted to remark about a joint session of Congress called for by the President this afternoon. The emergency meeting has been called for tomorrow evening and will be nationally televised. Along with all the paranormal news, this seems to be the dominant narrative on virtually every media outlet.

Your return to police headquarters is met with the same heightened security as before. It’s abnormal to see city police forces this heavily armed. The thought that this could become the new “normal”’ crosses your mind. You park your car and enter the facility. After a routine nod from the desk officer, you stroll past him to the elevator doors. You ride up with a small group of people until you reach your floor. Almost everyone you meet inside the building seems to have a look of exhaustion and anxiety on their faces.

As expected, Pak is waiting along with Deputy Chiefs Gibbs and Glazier. They are all seated at one of the least cluttered tables. “There’s the man!” Pak says warmly. “I thought you might have the guy in handcuffs already.”, he adds sarcastically.

Gibbs looks up from one of the folders she’d been reading on the table. “Good afternoon, Detective. I hear you have some important information regarding this homicide.””

Arachne

Detective Morris?”, the last I saw she was out in the lobby speaking with some other police. I’ll have her come back in when I leave.” Judith pats your wrist gently as she speaks to you.

As for whether you should continue your daily routine or go to Emory…well…”, Judith pauses and you can tell she isn’t comfortable giving an answer. She starts to speak (as if to give advice) on a couple of occasions, but never quite formulates a sentence. In the end she just manages a “…I’m not sure sweetie. I just want the best for you. I’m not sure what that is. I’d at least feel better if you had some more protection until the people who attacked you are caught. Maybe the police could afford to offer that protection, or maybe that place down at Emory has that extra protection…I don’t know. I wish there was a clear choice.

The two of you banter on for a bit…perhaps for a couple of hours. Finally, Detective Morris returns to your room with your newly arrived lawyer. A clean shaven, well-dressed Caucasian man in his mid-40s, your lawyer seems to make everyone almost as uncomfortable as you do. The threat of a lawsuit will do that to you.

Judith hugs you and says good bye, telling you to call her when you make up your mind. As Detective Morris enters the room, she holds up your smartphone along with a charger. “These were procured from your flat when it was secured after your departure to the hospital. They don’t appear to be damaged. Your flat has been sealed off pending my further investigation. I thought you might need your phone in order to speak with friends and family.

Following behind Detective Morris and your lawyer is Dr. Chanus. She walks over and hands you your phone and charger.

I would like to have Dr. Chanus here during questioning in case I need to ask a technical question suited to his expertise. If you wish, the questioning can take place simply between you, your lawyer, and myself. Is that ok with you?

As you consider you response, you gaze at your phone and see that it is “blown up” with texts and calls. It could take you quite awhile to sort through them all.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Rebekah Yodher

A sweet smile as her visitors walked in, well, at least trying to do a sweet smile, having a broken mandible made things more complicated.

"Thank you for your patience Detective Morris."

"Mr Nugent, a pleasure to see you again. I hope that the family is doing well?"

And beams even more brightly to Dr Chanus. "What's up Doc?" she tenderly teases.

With a little frown she looks down at her phone, and then looks back up with a smile, "Thank you for bringing it to me." she flickers her fingers over the surface, trying to make sure that it wasn't previously broken into as part of the investigation.

She quickly glances over to Mr Nugent. After all, this was highly irregular but she had trusted his practice's judgement with a wide range of topics, from business documents to contract negotiation. After all, any good lawyer would know to send the most qualified member of the practice when it came to a potentially dangerous entanglement with the police that could result in the imprisonment of the client.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Robert Murray

Robert softened his demeanor a bit to try and cut the tension. The city was already on edge so no need to feed it with heavily armed cops probably itching for blood. "Whose to say there wasn't hand cuffs involved in the dressing room. Gotta have those safe words though. Its only safe.", replies Robert cheekily to Pak. No doubt the remark wouldn't go over well with the others, but at this point some lightening of the mood was good.

Turning to serious matters, Robert went to one of the boards. "If my source is correct, the killer is an enforcer for the Yakuza getting the families in line. Imagine a robot who can turn invisible and make things vanish that kills without remorse with superior training. Thats what Tantan is except human.", begins Robert avoiding the use of mutant intentionally. He passes the photo around to the assembled people to let what he said sink in a bit.

"We have one chance to stop him before he takes off to Boston. Given his powers, he's not going to be easy to catch especially if he turns invisible. He's going to Boston this Friday to spill more blood, but shutting down the airport or flooding it with cops will only tip our hand. Plus he can just vanish. I am also going to guess he can just walk around security.", continues Robert laying out the situation.

Looking around again he knows the next bit will be tough. "So, we need to have the exits covered discretely and be ready to trap him without endangering the other travelers. Disappearing won't do him any good if he's trapped in an area. Any suggestions or counter terrorism plans you ant to tell me about that might help? Back in my days at the bureau every place had plans.", finishes Robert waiting for a response.
Supernaturalist

Robert Murray

Gibbs raises an eyebrow at your sexually-suggestive statement, but you do manage to draw a slight smile from her.

You know that Glazier and Pak are probably laughing "inside" despite restraining their outward demeanor.

The three of them listen as you relay the information from your encounter with Boss Ichiboro's wife.

There is an uncomfortable silence after you finish. If you lightened the mood with a joke earlier, the nature of the killer suddenly brought the police leadership crashing back down to Earth.

Glazier grumbles out loud to no one in particular. "So we have a potential sociopath who just happens to have the paranormal abilities of a mutated human." He shakes his head, clearly unhappy. "This guy probably isn't going to care if innocents get hurt. We take a big risk arresting him out in public in the conventional manner."

"The guy isn't bulletproof." Pak interjects. "Ota made him bleed. We can do a lot worse if we catch this guy at the right place and the right time." The portly Asian man begins to type away on his laptop. After a few seconds, his eyes narrow as he's obviously digesting information from his screen. "There are seven flights that leave Hartsfield-Jackson for Boston on Friday. He could leave on any one of them. The first is at 8:00 a.m.; the last is at 10:45 p.m. To complicate the matter, four of them are on Delta and the other three are on competing airlines. That means that half of the flights are on a completely different wing of the airport than the others. We'll have to have two separate groups to cover both wings. The only saving grace is that he'll have to arrive early for check-in. That should give us time to get everyone to the right gate once he's identified. If he shows up really late, that could complicate things. Getting from one side of the airport to the other quickly is no easy matter due to its size."

Deputy Chief Gibbs shifts her eyes from Pak to you. "You said this guy can 'turn invisible'. Do you have any more info on how he does it? I can equip some of our S.W.A.T. personnel with a variety of portable motion sensors, if necessary. The main problem is using them in an area with too many people. We also need to have the area sealed off once we spring the arrest on him. All exits as well as hallway back to the bag-search area must be adequately blocked. If this bogey decides to make a run for it, I say we authorize lethal force for any personal who encounter him. This also implies that those sealing off the escape areas be heavily armed and be equipped with motion sensors."

Glazier finally speaks up when the other two finish contributing. "How do we use our heavy-hitter?" He points to you with a slight grin. "We could give Murray some IR goggles. Maybe this guy can only go invisible to the naked eye. I dunno it's just a suggestion. What are you thinking over there, Robert?"

Arachne

"Miss Yoder..." Nugent says, "...always a pleasure to see you!" Despite his smile and warm greeting, he does not shake your hand as he does with Detective Morris and Dr. Chanus.

Your lawyer then walks around the bed to an empty chair and nearby, small table. He begins to take some papers out of his briefcase as he speaks. "Sorry, I'm late. Traffic is a bear out there. And the parking lot is absolutely packed. Most of the vehicles out there belong to media outlets. I had to fight through a mob of reporters just to get to the police check-point on this wing of the hospital. It seems like you have a lot of people out there wanting to get pictures and quotes from you."

"They're vultures." Dr. Chanus says calmly. "They have no regard for people they report about."

Detective Morris looks over to Dr. Chanus. "They are a nuisance at times, but I tell myself that they do perform an important service for society."

The detective looks back to you and takes a deep breath punctuated by a smile. "At least you are on the road to recovery Miss Yoder. For that I'm glad. I do need to ask you a few questions though. I have your attorney here and he can interject at any time if he feels like the questioning is unnecessary or unduly incriminating in any way. After I'm finished, Dr. Chanus would like to speak with you further about mutant support-group down at Emory."

Taking out her phone, Detective Morris continues. "I'd like to record this conversation in order to transcribe it later. Since you are not being interrogated as a suspect, it's optional."

"We'd rather not." Nugent blurts out. "There are enough witnesses here to corroborate any facts gained by the questioning process. Jotting down the basic facts should suffice."

"Very well then." Detective Morris says as she puts her phone away. Turning back to you, she takes out a pen and note pad, and begins. "Miss Yoder, I'd like you to give me any pertinent details of the evening that you were attacked. In particular, I'd like you to relax and try to remember anything...any details at all...about the people that attacked you that night."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Robert Murray

Robert keeps rolling on despite the attempt at humour that misfired. If he stopped to think about the odds he might fall into the trap of getting too focused on the person and not the reason. He had successfully deflected attention off the wife. Now, he had to deflect it off the fact it was a mutant causing all the problems so as not to paint the lot of his kind as killers. Having him captured and flipped was looking a little less likely.

Robert listened to everyone speak and when it seemed opportune he jumped in. "Anyone who I worked with in the FBI would know I'm not a fan of lethal force, but this guy is serious. As far as I can tell, he can only blur vision, but it wasn't like there was a thermal vision goggles or motion sensor present when he was showing off. Couldn't hurt to have the equipment on hand though.", starts Robert addressing his biggest worry first.

"I don't think Tantan has mapped out the stores by the terminals, so couldn't we have some under cover or plain clothes agents working the shops? They see him, they can close the gates and alert us. Airports also have tons of cameras, so can't we just run some facial detection software. If he pulls up, even before getting through security if he decides to go through it, we can ping him on the cameras getting everyone on alert. If you guys worry about containment, I can deal with him as best I can. We need to protect the civilians. After all, I was top of my class in the FBI on physical tasks.", brags Robert in case anyone in the room forgot hoping to make his abilities seem like good physical fitness instead of mutant powers.

Taking a moment to look around the room, he continued speaking. "Some IR goggles would be nice just in case they do work. After he goes through check in or the security gates, I can be waiting inside ready to go wherever he is heading. It sucks we can't fill the airport with cops instead of civilians, but at this point I don't see any other way to get him.", says Robert.
I just realized he has expertise FBI agent
Rolled a 7 so yeah didn't help much.
Supernaturalist

Robert Murray

Then we’re in agreement.” Says Deputy Chief Gibbs. “Both wings of the Airport will be have police units standing by, yet concealed, to seal off escape routes at a moment’s notice. I’ll speak with the Director of Operations at the airport and make sure that they and their Security-Chief have a heads up. They are the only people who need to know initially, I don’t want this info leaking out. Otherwise, motion sensors and IR goggles will be issued to all pertinent personnel.

She looks over at you with an expression of concern. “Is there anything else you feel you’ll need detective? If not, then I expect all of us to be in place by 6:00 A.M. Friday morning. Delta is the most popular airline flying out of Atlanta. On that basis alone, you should probably be in that wing of the airport initially. You’ll have a commlink to agent Pak who’ll be in the security-center monitoring cameras along with airport security."

OOC: If there’s anything about your strategic approach that you want me to know, then do so now. My next post will be “D-Day”.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Robert Murray

Robert nods in acknowledging getting ready to leave. "Sounds good. Keep sharp guys and girls. This guy can turn invisible and is near robotic in his killing efficiency. Looks like i have an early morning ahead of me. So Ill be waiting in the airport if anyone would be so kind as to make sure a door is open for me to get in easily.", says Robert before heading out.
Supernaturalist

Robert Murray

As you gather your things to leave the room, Pak wraps up the meeting with a few final details. “Ok, you can use the parking deck across from the Delta terminals to park. You can enter through the main entrance and proceed straight though security by simply showing your badge. You will not be spoken to, nor will you be searched or hindered in any way. My conversation with the Operations Head at the airport will make sure all this happens. This status, of course, will only apply for the Friday workday.

He holds out his hand showing you a tiny, concealable commlink. “Here ya go. I’ll be in the security center updating you on the facial recognition info. Just be ready to haul butt to any gate at a moment’s notice. We don’t’ know what alias this guy is travelling under, so we’ll just have to ID him visually. If we’re lucky, he’ll be in the Delta terminal and you will not have race to the other one to get him before takeoff. I don’t want to give the go ahead for this guy's arrest unless you’re on sight.

Pak pats you on the shoulder and with a nod says, "Good luck to you out there tomorrow.
OOC: You’ll have some time during the evening prior to do whatever you wish. The only thing of note happening that Thursday evening are conversations by various media outlets of the big Joint Session of Congress occurring tomorrow. You, however, will be way too busy to watch it. You may begin your next post placing yourself anywhere you wish in the Delta Terminal of the Airport at around 6:30 am. The first flight leaves at 8:00 am. Five of the seven flights to Boston on Friday depart from gates in the the Delta Terminal.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Robert Murray

Robert looked over the passenger manifests of the pertinent flights that night in preparation. Political climate being what it was, he didn't want this incident to stir up anger anymore than it already was. He had to be clean and precise about it all. Something that didn't come naturally to him. Not being a math wizard, he could use a ruler and plotted out optimal locations to wait. He had to blend in though as someone just hanging about would be a dead give away.

When the day came, Robert walked right through security. It was nice. Despite his best efforts the day before he couldn't get a free pass forever. They had some excuse like the TSA this or that. Robert was already past it. Going to the first waiting spot, he found the nearest bar, got a drink and waited. Drinks were on the FBI as far as he was concerned. "Ready and waiting. Gonna be a long day.", he says to the bar tender still audible by those listening.
Supernaturalist

Robert Murray

Sitting in the airport bar is surprisingly relaxing given the heavy responsibility that has been placed upon you.
"Ready and waiting. Gonna be a long day."
The bartender smiles as he places your cocktail on a napkin in front of you. "Layover?...here, have an extra on the house." He pours an extra shot of spirits into your mixed drink. "That outta help ease the pain."

The flight manifest on the 8:00 am Delta flight lists no one with even a hint of an Asian name. And although that might not necessarily mean anything, you know that this particular individual is a Japanese national...probably not going to be able to hide that on a passport. When Pak contacts you over your hidden commlink, he informs you that security feeds did not flag anyone as the possible suspect. There is of course that nagging worry that this man, this mutant, might have other abilities, abilities that might allow him to obfuscate his identity beyond merely turning invisible.

The United Airlines flight leaving at 10:00 am from the other wing doesn't set off any alarms either. A middle-aged Asian couple and an elderly woman pass the facial recognition software and scrutiny of the gate-security with little cause for worry.

From time to time a bored Pak chimes in with a word or two, but generally keeps quiet so as not to alarm you with unnecessary chatter. "You know..", he does say after a few dull hours of waiting, "...this facial recognition software has had its detractors. I've hear the research shows that two demographics are the most frequently misidentified. Wanna know what those are?" He pauses for dramatic effect. "African-Americans...particularly African-American females, and...drum roll please...Asians! Yup just our luck that all Zipper Heads look the same, huh?" His ethnic slur catches you off guard, and almost makes you choke on your drink. Anyone else and it would probably have offended you, but coming from an Asian man makes it an acceptable double standard.

The next flight is scheduled to leave the Delta Wing at 12:30 pm. This just happens to be at the exact time that the televised Joint Session of Congress is about to occur. "Hey Robert, I've got two people who just passed security on their way to Gate A-26 for the flight to Boston. They should be walking through your neighborhood within 5 minutes. The first male is with a young female. He's wearing a pair of gaudy sunglasses that are interfering with the software scan. The second young man is giving me a "grey" read, meaning he looks close to the image given to us by Kana, but it doesn't appear to be an exact match. I need your eyes up close and personal for more information."
OOC: Ok, I need two perception rolls. They will not be the same difficulty. One is Tough (15), while the other is a Challenging (20). I'm not going to reveal which order the rolls are, which means the hardest one could be first. Also please describe how you are approaching these two individuals. Do you wish to remain unnoticed? If so, add a third roll, stealth.