On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 1)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
StarGuard

Re: On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting Closed)

Post by StarGuard »

Flynnarrel wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:39 am Aren't we mounted on horses?
I'm going to say I assumed we were made to dismount when approached by the gate guard .... when in reality I forgot, because I don't usually play characters who use horses. :oops:
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Epic said your role was good enough to still do it from horseback.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

He's just that good.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Is Kaine normally a casual pick pocket?
Especially being Neutral Good?
and knowing how much trouble the whole party would be in if he gets caught?
Has he done this before while traveling with us (that the party knows of)?

Not trying to block your RP but this does have bigger, game-impactful, plot-derailing, implications and I'm curious what's happened in the past with this group.

It's certainly a standard trope and I know you were saying you were initially going to make a rogue or add rogue into the monk build so might still be in that mindset. Just making sure.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Kaine comes from a background of corruption. His father was a Watch Captain who was in the pocket of the local Thieves Guild. Kaine grew up with the children of the Thieve’s Guild leaders. He came to be an “Investigator” with the influence Thieves Guild. He and his “partners” got caught trying to “retrieve” a “stolen” object in a city that had no love for half-breeds or exotics. 5 years later he has fought his way to freedom and now is in a tavern that is this close to throwing us out for not being good enough either because of race or economic position.

Kaine attempting a lift because they think their better than us and likely treat their workers the same way. He wants to see the kitchen to get an eye on the workers there for similar reason. Yes he will lift the pocket of a rich entitled merchant and slip that change into the purse of the man’s servant if it strikes him the man needs to learn to share his wealth with those less fortunate. Keeping a finders fee of 20% might be a thing ;)

Yes he is going to have a very roguish personality Jackie Chan / Earl Flynn esque . :)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

That comes across as more of a CG "Robin Hood" mentality, then someone NG.
------------
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Myself I always thought of Earl Flynn Robin Hood types as NG. Chaos has a more selfish individualistic nature to it imo. Robin Hood has a code. Considering the circumstances I would think he should be considered more lawful than Prince John of Sheriff of Nottingham.

I often have found dnd alignments a more of a hindrance to role playing than a help. Too often it is used to pigeon hole behavior in ways that aren’t natural to human interaction and decision making.

I also personally need a “minute” to really slip into the skin of a character when starting a game. Especially online where we can’t interact with the aid of body language and voice inflection.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Is this something he's openly done (or told us that he's done) while travelling with this group?
Holy Cow, that seems like a lot of assumptions when you only mentioned looking for an inebriated person. Probably one of those things better conveyed if we were all in person. :)

We'll see what happens.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I could have swore I saw a post from StarGuard planning to try and steal from people. Did that get deleted? I was just about to post that the patrons were too on guard for any of them to be considered reasonable marks. :lol:
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I apologize if my comments made you act contrary to the character you'd like to play. I apologize because you shouldn't have to justify character motivations especially in respects to something as arbitrary as alignment. I was asking if this kind of thing had happened in the past (including any underlying motivations) and is known to be part of Kaine's modus operandi. It would have given Salazar a chance to say something like "Please, Kaine, no shennanigans. I don't want to get thrown out of another place, especially after Kriv's already given them a link to his family... Or at least wait till we're leaving." <sly grin>. Which would have been a better, in-character, way to handle it had it been known this was part of Kaine's proclivities. I still think the action is ill-advised, but it would have been better handled with in-character responses to further banter and role-playing. Kaine would then be free to consider or ignore the request and hilarity may ensue - the stuff of legends. Or not. In any case, I apologize for my reaction and handling of this. I'm sorry if it made you reticent to play your character as you wish.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

He would have been doing it while Salazar was changing clothes, so there wouldn't have been any interaction. With two players seemingly concerned I decided my RP decision shouldn't be a potential frustration this early in the game. While we are playing as if they've known each other for a while, fact is we are just getting into our characters. It's all cool .... but yes assume Kaine is going to behave much as if he was the team's rogue when certain situations arise. He doesn't pick locks but he talks the talk and walks the walk of a Earl Flynn's Robin Hood .... if he was a Monk :twisted:

Moving on 8-)
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I love Red Dragon Inn! :)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Red Dragon Inn? What's that?
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I've been playing a higher level warforge (envoy) brute fighter with the gladiator background. His built in tool is thieves' tools, and he uses them to break into orphanages and the like to leave the winnings of his arena bouts, then locks back up behind himself.

He does this at night while the party sleeps because... Well, he doesn't need to take long rests all that often.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

That honestly sounds like the sweetest thing.
------------