Conflux City Guardians [Council chambers -OOC]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: [Recruiting] [3e] Conflux City Guardians

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hmmm... ah, ya know what, I think I'm good for now. I really don't think I have the time to try and get into another game, so I'll withdraw my interest.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
DeusPravus

Post by DeusPravus »

Thinking of maybe submitting a Green Arrow inspired character (probably PL8/120). Question for Camus, how do you feel about having a base attack (bow and arrows), with two different arrays (one due to trick arrows, and one for training) that can modify the same attack?
Jemal

Post by Jemal »

There's actually a completely legit way of doing that, Deus Pravus.. use a Dynamic Array, with each setting of the array having two effects, and then use the dynamic part to pick and choose.

Not sure what exactly you're looking for as the powers, but as an example:
Instead of using
Base: Damage X

Array 1:
Primary: Add multiattack
AP 1: Add Extended range
AP 2: Add Penetrating

Array 2:
-Primary: Add Power X
-AP 1: Add Power Y
-AP 2: Add Power Z

You could just use
Dynamic Array:
Primary: Damage X w/Multiattack, linked Power X
-AP 1: Damage X w/Extended Range, linked Power Y
-AP 2: Damage X w/Penetrating, linked Power Z

Using the Dynamic function, you can then take "Damage X W/Multiattack" + Power X, Y, or Z, or Damage X W/Extended Range +Power X/Y/Z, etc.. as long as the point total doesn't exceed the array allotment you can mix and match any of the powers however you want.

And I'm fairly certain it would cost the same as the dual arrays anyway.
Jemal

Post by Jemal »

OK so here's a normal PL 10 version of Pulsar that I submitted to another game a little while ago that didn't get accepted, would this character be Ok if I trimmed him down to PL 9 and updated the background a bit?

Pulsar: PL 10 (150 PP)

Background:
There are many worlds, many civilizations. In some realms, fantastical dreams come true every day. Technology that defies explanation and blurs the lines of reality. One mans magic is anothers monotony.
There is a world where it all comes together, where the pulse of the universe is felt, and it's people respond. Their technology would be indistinguishable from magic, as they sculpt the cosmos itself.. but not to their own ends. These people are caretakers, and they exist as the white blood cells of the multiverse, defending it's vulnerable parts from evil.

To do this without revealing themselves though, proved a difficult task. Eventually the inhabitants discovered a way to send their consciousness through a portal and out into the universe, inhabiting seemingly mundane items until they had found worthy vessels of intelligent species, merging with them and granting them the power of the Cosmos.

WHIN:
Whinston Zhacarius Rho was the son of multi-millionaire Zack Rho, a man who gained his wealth at the cost of others, through extortion, fraud, and sometimes just tax evasion. He never knew his mother, as she died during childbirth.
Whin grew up as a spoiled rich kid with virtually no father figure, being raised by his fathers (thankfully kind-hearted) servants until he was in his mid teens and discovered the truth about his father.
Unable to stand the idea, he went to the police, and began to help them gather evidence against the old man. Unfortunately, Whin wasn't very good at deception, and his father soon discovered what his son and the police were up to, leading to a confrontation in which their manor was set aflame. During the aftermath, Zack was able to escape, draining his bank accounts and leaving Whin with nothing - no family, no money, and a criminal father bent on vengeance on the loose.

The police tried to place him in protective custody, but he ran away, living for two years on the street, apalled at the difference between his previous lifestyle of luxury and that of most people. He learned much, and one day decided to return to his old manor - the charred hulk had been boarded up and declared condemned, but the land still technically belonged to him.
While there, he fell through some floorboards into the basement, injuring his leg. Looking around, he found an old walking cane that his father had left behind, dusty from years of neglect, but unharmed by the fire. When he picked it up, there was a flash of light as the consciousness within read his heart and mind, and when it had deemed him worthy, it began the process of teaching him.

Over the next year, the two minds grew closer and fell into sync, and he used his new powers to rebuild his home, opening it to the unfortunates of the world as a halfway house, and set out into the world to protect the weak and innocent from those who would harm them, taking the 'super hero' name "Pulsar" as he began his grand quest for justice.

Complications:
Motivation: Responsibility
Criminal father - Whin's Father was a criminal, and is on the loose with vengeance on his mind.
Motivation: Doing Good - Whin has a very powerful moral compass that is only bolstered by the Staff's mission to help the weak and innocent.
Challenge - Whin loves a challenge, and will usually seek out the strongest opponent, even if that's not the best tactic.

Abilities: 60 pp
STR 4 (8p)
STA 10 (20p)
DEX 0 (0p)
AGI 0 (0p)
FGT 2 (4p)
INT 2 (4p)
AWE 10 (20p)
PRE 2 (4p)

Speed:
Init:
Move:

Offenses:

Defenses: (10 pp)
Dodge: +6 (6 base)
Parry: +6 (4 base +2 Fgt)
Toughness: +10 (10 Sta)
Fort +10 (10 Sta)
Will +10 (10 Awe)

Skills: (60 ranks = 15pp)
Acrobatics(+6/6), Athletics(+5/1), Insight(+12/2), Intimidation(+14/12), Investigation(+5/3), Perception(+15/5), Persuasion(+8/6), Technology(+6/4), Treatment(+6/4), Vehicles(+5/5)

Expertise: Business (+5/3), Philosophy(+5/3), Science(+8/6)

Advantages: 8pp
Accurate Attack, All out attack, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Interpose, Power Attack,
Presence Bonus: Attractive, Connected

Powers: 55pp
Flight 2(Aquatic, Subtle): 2/rank+2 = 6pp
Quick Change: 1pp

Phenomenal Cosmic Power: Dynamic Array (40p +5 AP +5 Dynamic = 50pp)
-Dynamic Primary: Cosmic Gifts: 12+16+12=40pp
Comprehend 6 (Languages 4, Animals 2): 12p
Environment 4 (Light 2/rank, Heat 2/rank): 4/rank = 16pp
Enhanced Flight 6: 12pp
-DAP: Cosmic Potential: 20+8+4=32pp
Enhanced Strength 10: 20p
Enhanced Fighting 4: 8p
Enhanced Dodge 4: 4p
-DAP: Cosmic Shield: 14+22=36pp
Protection 4, Impervious 14: 14p
Immunity 22 (Life Support, Radiation, Critical hits): 22p
-DAP: Cosmic Renewal: Healing 10 (Affects Objects +1/rank, Energizing +1/rank): 4/rank = 40pp
-AP: Cosmic Bombardment: Damage 8 (Ranged +1/rank, Multi-attack+1/rank, Accurate 6, Affects Incorporeal, Extended Range, Imp Crit 4, Indirect 4): 3/rank+16=40

COST: 60 Abilities +10 Defenses +15 Skills +8 Advantages +57 Powers = 143/150
DeusPravus

Post by DeusPravus »

I guess in the initial iteration of the character, I had it something like Bow: Ranged Damage X, With the Arrows Adding Alternate Resistance or Secondary to the Damage as a Removable Device Separate from the Bow, and a Training Array that added things like Area or Increased Range that modified the attack's scope (So more like your first example). So you'd Suggest something like (for instance):

Affliction X (Ranged Extra Condition, Limited Degree) [Trick Arrow)
DAP: Multiattack on Damage X
DAP: Increased Range (Perception) on Damage X
etc....
Plan b

Post by Plan b »

Bulwark

ABILITIES:
STRENGTH 0/13, STAMINA 0/13, AGILITY 0, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT 8, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS:
Intimidation 6 (+8), Perception 6 (+11), Persuasion 4, Insight 4 (+7), Stealth (-4), Technology 8 (+16) [Inventor], Treatment 4 (+12), Unarmed combat 2 (+7)

ADVANTAGES:
All-Out Attack, Inventor, Languages Fast Grab, Jack of all trades,

POWERS:
"Bulwark" Powersuit: (70, removable -1 rank) 56.

Growth 5 (+5 Str, +5 Sta, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth, +2 Intimidation, Speed +0, +4 Mass; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 11 pts
Immunity: Lifesupport 10 pt
Enhanced Strenght 8 16pts
Ehanced Stamina 8 16pts
Temorsense: Ranged tactile, Penerates concealment 5pts
Darkvision 2 pts
Infravision 1pts
Burrowing 8 8+2pts
AP Leaping 8
AP Flight 8 (distracting)

EQUIPMENT:

OFFENSE:
Initiative +0

Unarmed +7 [Damage +13]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7 [DC17] Parry +7 [DC17]
Toughness +13 , Fortitude +13, Will +7

Abilities 34 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Advantages 5 + Powers 56 + Defenses 18 = 119/ 119

Complications:

Massive: There someplaces a 1 and 1/2 ton suit of armour just can't go.

Background: Coming soon
Last edited by Plan b on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Many things to reply to!

Ok lets begin:

Flynnarrel's Starfish: Love it, the character fits the setting perfectly and I like the liaison idea.

MetaShaman's Grit: Nice powerhouse, good background links. I have the same comment about flick away Jemal has, and also think profiles are no good; so either consider revising the build in regards of that power or keep it as is (which would be a waste of points IMO)

DeusPravus' Green arrow concept: It could work very well. Dynamic arrays might do the trick, otherwise you can have two arrays linked but I don't think it would be very point effective, nor get the same level of combinations you'd want. Otherwise just make a huge array with all the possible combinations.

Jemal's Pulsar: The build seems solid, I would drop heal. I don't like Man orchestra characters. Additionally, his backgrounds it not linked at all with the current setting, so please modify/change it. Keep in mind what I told out itinerant demon clown.

Plan B's Bulwark: I cant see the image and don't really have much of an idea of what is he. An armored mole? :D
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Plan b

Post by Plan b »

Camus wrote: Plan B's Bulwark: I cant see the image and don't really have much of an idea of what is he. An armored mole? :D
Got a hopefully better picture.

Flying is old news, digging is where it's at.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Plan b wrote:
Camus wrote: Plan B's Bulwark: I cant see the image and don't really have much of an idea of what is he. An armored mole? :D
Got a hopefully better picture.

Flying is old news, digging is where it's at.
Well said my friend, well said.
|
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Jemal

Post by Jemal »

Camus wrote:Jemal's Pulsar: The build seems solid, I would drop heal. I don't like Man orchestra characters.

Not sure if those statements are separate or together. Will drop heal but not sure what you mean by Man orchestra.. is that another way of saying one man band? If so, what part of the character makes you think he's trying to do everything? He's essentially a standard paragon who exchanges super breath & Super senses for comprehend/environment/healing and a mild "wonder boy" feel, not being able to access all of his powers at once. (though not quite as restrictive)
If not, then what does it mean?
Additionally, his backgrounds it not linked at all with the current setting, so please modify/change it. Keep in mind what I told out itinerant demon clown.
I Did already say I was going to modify the background, however on that note I'm not sure how the clown is a relevant comparison? What in the background is too dark for the setting?
Camus

Post by Camus »

Jemal wrote:
Camus wrote:Jemal's Pulsar: The build seems solid, I would drop heal. I don't like Man orchestra characters.

Not sure if those statements are separate or together. Will drop heal but not sure what you mean by Man orchestra.. is that another way of saying one man band? If so, what part of the character makes you think he's trying to do everything? He's essentially a standard paragon who exchanges super breath & Super senses for comprehend/environment/healing and a mild "wonder boy" feel, not being able to access all of his powers at once. (though not quite as restrictive)
If not, then what does it mean?
Additionally, his backgrounds it not linked at all with the current setting, so please modify/change it. Keep in mind what I told out itinerant demon clown.
I Did already say I was going to modify the background, however on that note I'm not sure how the clown is a relevant comparison? What in the background is too dark for the setting?
Indeed it was meant as that. He is not doing everything but a disjointed variety of things, most of which I don't mind, but healing I do.

Didn't see that. Relevant on which I didn't see a connection with the setting, but it was a mistake on my part since you said the background was going to be modified.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Camus wrote:Additionally, his backgrounds it not linked at all with the current setting, so please modify/change it. Keep in mind what I told out itinerant demon clown.
^_^ Speaking of said demon clown, does the change in background work for you? I could even explicitly tie him into the Greek pantheon as established in the Wonder Woman comics, or what empowered him could have just as readily been a cosmic imp from the Mite or 5th dimension.
Camus

Post by Camus »

FuzzyBoots wrote:
Camus wrote:Additionally, his backgrounds it not linked at all with the current setting, so please modify/change it. Keep in mind what I told out itinerant demon clown.
^_^ Speaking of said demon clown, does the change in background work for you? I could even explicitly tie him into the Greek pantheon as established in the Wonder Woman comics, or what empowered him could have just as readily been a cosmic imp from the Mite or 5th dimension.
Yes, much more, good job. Perhaps some way to explain how did he get to be one of Conflux Guardians wouldn't hurt.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Jemal

Post by Jemal »

OK so I just had a random thought while on the can (Don't look at me like that, you've all been there!)

Since I'm going the Paragon route anyway, and this is the DC setting, I once had a character named Legacy who was essentially Supermans daughter raised by Lex Luthor. would you be OK if I tried something similar for this game?

I'll post the original character here for your perusal and if you like it better than Pulsar I'll modify it a bit to fit this game better.

-NOTE: This was built with several house rules and will need to be changed, and the background was for a different world so will also need to be altered, this is just the original build and background to see if you like the concept-

Base PL 9/150pp, may trade 1pl for 15pp.
House Rules: Presence adds to Will
Impervious = 1/2 +2.

Leonna Luther (AKA Legacy): PL 9 (150 PP)

Can't decide which picture to go with..
http://www.allthatsepic.com/wp-content/ ... play-2.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 71be38.jpg

Six months after the death of Superman, Lois Lane gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.
Suspecting the child's true nature, Lex Luthor had the child's DNA tested, and once his suspicions were confirmed, convinced Lois that her child had died, after which he took the girl in as his own, keeping her hidden as he began to experiment on her, exposing her to small doses of kryptonite.
After a few years, he forged an adoption and began to raised the girl as his own, keeping her close and using her to make himself appear more of a 'family man' in his bid for the presidency. All the while, he continued her kryptonite treatments, and the process worked, suppressing the girls powers and leaving her convinced that she was an ordinary girl.
Unfortunately, around the time she entered puberty the side effects began showing - her aging began to slow, so greatly that a decade later she was still a teenager, and the Kryptonite experiments also had an effect on her mind, resulting in a general impulsiveness and lack of inhibitions. Becoming concerned with this young child whom he had inexplicably come to care so much about, Lex began to throttle back her kryptonite exposure even as the world fell apart around him and he moved out to sea. As Leonna grew more, her powers began to shine through, until last year when everything came out in the open on Utopia.

Leonna finally broke fully free of the (metaphorical) kryptonite shackles that had held her in check for nearly three decades, and when confronted with the reality, Lex told her everything. He explained who her true father was, and that after Superman's death, he had faked her death so he could take her in and keep her safe, using the low doses of kryptonite to keep her powers hidden. He confessed that it had started as a pragmatic pursuit - learn more about her and keep her out of the hands of htose who may use Supermans Daughter against the world - but that he had grown to love her as his own child.

The young woman was understandably distraught at this revelation, and though she had grown to love her 'father', she could not stay with him after that. Saying that she needed space, the young woman left Utopia for the mainland, to try and find her mother..

Abilities: 52 pp
STR 12 (24p) *16 lifting w/Dark Power*
STA 8 (16p)
DEX 0
AGI 0
FGT 0
INT 0
AWE 0
PRE 6 (12p) *10 in Sunlight*

Speed:
Move: 900' run or jump (60 mph)
250' fly or Burrow (16mph) *Flight is Subtle, Burrow must leave tunnel*

Offenses:
Unarmed: +6 close, Toughness DC 27 (Crit 19-20)
Eye Lasers: +10 Ranged, Toughness DC 23 (Multi-attack, 5 uses, Distracting, Crit 16-20)

Defenses: (4 pp)
Dodge: +5 (2 base +3 Bracer)
Parry: +5 (2 base +3 Bracer)
Toughness: +13 (8 Sta +2 protection +3 suit) *Impervious 11 Ignores damage 8 and below*
Fort +8/12 (8 Sta) *12 with Dark Power*
Will +6/10 (6 Pre) *10 with Solar Power*

Skills: (34 ranks = 17pp)
Acrobatics (+5/5), Athletics (+12), Close Combat: Unarmed (+6/6), Deception (+12/6), Intimidation (+12*/2), Perception (+10/10), Persuasion (+10*)
Expertise: Politics (+5/5)

*Counting Superman's Cape
W/Radiant: Deception/Intimidation +16, Persuasion +14
W/Enhanced Senses: Perception +14

Advantages: 10pp
Attractive, Benefit: Status(Supermans Daughter), Equipment 2, Extraordinary Effort, Favoured Environment (Urban), Improved Aim, Imp Crit: Unarmed, Improved Trip, Luck (4 with pendant)

Powers: 66pp
Feature: Quick Change (Kryptonian Suit): 1pp
Mook Bowling: Enhanced advantage 2 (Takedown 2, Limited: Move in straight line): 1pp
Solar Powered: Regeneration 2 (Source: Direct Sunlight -1/rank): 1pp

Darkness Vs Light: 4p+2ap = 6pp
-Primary: Radiant: Enhanced Presence 4 (Source: Sunlight -1/rank): 4p
-AP: Solar Healing 8 (Restorative +1/rank, Source: Sunlight -1/rank, Unreliable 5 uses -1/rank, Self Only -1/rank, Move Activation, Persistant): 1/2 ranks = 4p
-AP: Dark Power: 2+2=4p
Powerlifting (Enhanced Strength 4, Limited: Lifting -1/rank, Darkness -1/rank): 1/2 ranks = 2p
Enhanced Fort 4 (Limited: Darkness -1/rank): 2p

Kryptonian Senses: 17p+1ap = 18pp
-Primary: Enhanced Senses 15+2=17p
Senses 15: Vision (Extended 3, Microscopic 4, Penetrates Concealment *Except lead* 3, Rapid), Hearing (Extended 2, Rapid, Ultra-hearing): 15p
Enhanced Perception 4: 2p
-AP: Eye Lasers: Damage 8 (Ranged +1/rank, Multi-attack +1/rank, Unreliable 5 uses -1/rank, Distracting -1/rank, Accurate 5, Imp Crit 4): 1/rank+9 = 17p

Kyrptonian Resilience: 14+5=19pp
-Protection 3 (Impervious 11): 14p
-Immunity 10 (All Environmental Conditions 5, Suffocation 2, Aging, disease, poison; half effect -1/rank): 5p

Kryptonian speed: 7+3ap = 10pp
-Primary: speeding bullet: Speed 5, Quickness 2: 7p
-AP: Single Bound: Leaping 7: 7p
-AP: Flight: Flight 3, Subtle: 7p
-AP: Plow Through: Burrow 8 (Quirk: Must leave tunnel): 7p

Luthor Family Pendant: 10-4 easily removable = 6pp
-Luck Control 2 (Share Luck, Force Reroll, Luck 3): 3/rank +3 = 9p
-Feature: Lead lined with Green Kryptonite inisde: 1p

Superman's Cape: 5p - 1removable = 4pp
Enhanced Intimidation & Persuasion 4: 4p
Feature: Special Effect: 1p

Equipment: 10ep
Bracers (Dodge/parry 3, Subtle): 7ep
Kryptonian Suit: Protection 2: 2ep
1ep

COST: 52 Abilities +4 Defenses +17 Skills +10 Advantages +66 Powers = 149/150

Complications:
Motivation: Proving Herself
Relationships: Her adopted Father is Lex Luthor, and she's trying to find her missing Mother, Lois Lane, who may not even be alive, and if she IS Alive, doesn't know she has a daughter.
Older than she looks: Due to the kryptonite stunting her growth, Leonna looks much younger than her true age of 30 years, and gets quite annoyed when she is 'treated like a kid'.
Mental Issues: Leonna has some mental problems due to her long and repeated exposure to various forms of kryptonite. Though she is starting to level off now that she's been away from it for a year, she is still very tempermental and Impulsive, lacks self control, and can sometimes come off as Bipolar or Paranoid.
Weakness: Magic: Kryptonians are as susceptible to Magical attack as humans. Leonna's toughness is not Impervious against magic, and she cannot use Luck to reroll saves against magic.
Weakness: Mental attacks: Due to her mental instability, Leonna takes twice as long to recover from any mental attacks.
Weakness: Kryptonite: As a half-Kryptonian, Leonna is affected negatively by Kryptonite. Due to her long exposure, she is resistant to physical impairment, but very susceptible to mental impairment from the various types of kryptonite. (AKA Green kryptonite hurts her less than it should, but red etc affects her more)
Fast Metabolism: Leonna's body burns through it's fuel much faster than a normal human, but her kryptonian cells allow her to somewhat compensate with Sunlight. She must eat twice as much as a normal human OR eat regular plus 4 hours of sunlight exposure each day. She must make Starvation checks each DAY she goes without food/Sunlight.
Camus

Post by Camus »

I like her, the background should be changed (Just kidding :lol: ). My only concern are the abundance of powerhouses (Grit, Bulwark and now Legacy), but that should not deter you from posting the character that you want to play. I think that is also quite relevant. As far as the character concept goes I like it very much. Which is not to say Pulsar didn't like me.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ