Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Ysariel

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Ysariel »

Gelert
Outer Space
OOC
Yes. Since Kaak-Shar is not a willing receipent, you do have to make an attack check against him and he does get a resistance check. I will say that since this was very unexpected he counts as Vulnerable, as if you made a surprise attack.

You get a 6 on the d20 for an attack check of +55, and that easily hits his halved defense. Unfortunately he ]passes with a natural 20 on the die.

Your healing beam is not an attack in the traditional sense. Regardless of whatever effect it would have on him if successful, Kaak-Shar's power level continues to decrease, and his penalty intensifies to -5!

Kaak-Shar's power level: X-2 (-5)
As you fire, you have an unbidden vision, an image in your mind. You see aliens you have never seen before embrace horribly wounded kin in an operating room stained blue with ichor. You see the citizens of some impossibly faraway world march in protest as soldiers fire into the crowd. You see, on a distant world, the tendrils of alien plants creep out from under radioactive ruins to lap up the first rays of sunlight to shine through nuclear winter. While war is eternal, in its own way it is also a passing, fleeting thing, and when it is over there is still hope for healing and forgiveness.

Your vision gives you conviction. Your conviction shines pure and blue through the void. The powers of war and carnage have no authority over you. You are anathema to them and they fear you.

"NOOOOOOOOOOO," groans the Incarnate of War as your blue light washes over him. It sounds more like a moan of despair than of pain, and the countless faces inscribed on his armor groan with him. With a godlike effort he shakes off the blue light and flies at you.

But his movements are sluggish, his terrifying presence diminished somehow. You sense that you have seized the advantage. If your borrowed power can last a little longer - just a little longer...

"YOU. WILL. NOT. PREVAIL." The Incarnate of War raises his skyscraper-sized sword, and it erupts into cruel flame before it swings down upon you.
OOC
Kaak-Shar uses Ultima Ratio. This attack is Incurable. He also uses PA +5/-5.
1d20+50-5: 60 [1d20=15]
Hits. Make a DC 70 Toughness check vs damage.

Recall that your powers and traits have a +40 bonus, so your toughness score (with force field) is actually 53, and you roll 1d20+53.
Turn Order
-- Gelert *
-- Kaak-Shar, War Incarnate, Conquerer of Conquerers

You are up
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight

Aranel knew their current mission could aid in taking down Mayor Cooper and his master, but she also didn't know who or what might be listening to their conversation right now. Cooper could have spies working within the halls of every government building in the state, to say nothing of his 'employer' and her agents. She had heard tell of bugs which could spy on people and kept an eye out for any insects in the area, who knew people of this world could use them in such a way.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:27 pm Gelert
Outer Space
OOC
Yes. Since Kaak-Shar is not a willing receipent, you do have to make an attack check against him and he does get a resistance check. I will say that since this was very unexpected he counts as Vulnerable, as if you made a surprise attack.

You get a 6 on the d20 for an attack check of +55, and that easily hits his halved defense. Unfortunately he ]passes with a natural 20 on the die.

Your healing beam is not an attack in the traditional sense. Regardless of whatever effect it would have on him if successful, Kaak-Shar's power level continues to decrease, and his penalty intensifies to -5!

Kaak-Shar's power level: X-2 (-5)
As you fire, you have an unbidden vision, an image in your mind. You see aliens you have never seen before embrace horribly wounded kin in an operating room stained blue with ichor. You see the citizens of some impossibly faraway world march in protest as soldiers fire into the crowd. You see, on a distant world, the tendrils of alien plants creep out from under radioactive ruins to lap up the first rays of sunlight to shine through nuclear winter. While war is eternal, in its own way it is also a passing, fleeting thing, and when it is over there is still hope for healing and forgiveness.

Your vision gives you conviction. Your conviction shines pure and blue through the void. The powers of war and carnage have no authority over you. You are anathema to them and they fear you.

"NOOOOOOOOOOO," groans the Incarnate of War as your blue light washes over him. It sounds more like a moan of despair than of pain, and the countless faces inscribed on his armor groan with him. With a godlike effort he shakes off the blue light and flies at you.

But his movements are sluggish, his terrifying presence diminished somehow. You sense that you have seized the advantage. If your borrowed power can last a little longer - just a little longer...

"YOU. WILL. NOT. PREVAIL." The Incarnate of War raises his skyscraper-sized sword, and it erupts into cruel flame before it swings down upon you.
OOC
Kaak-Shar uses Ultima Ratio. This attack is Incurable. He also uses PA +5/-5.
1d20+50-5: 60 [1d20=15]
Hits. Make a DC 70 Toughness check vs damage.

Recall that your powers and traits have a +40 bonus, so your toughness score (with force field) is actually 53, and you roll 1d20+53.
Turn Order
-- Gelert *
-- Kaak-Shar, War Incarnate, Conquerer of Conquerers

You are up
It hurts.

Gelert can feel the painful searing flames through his shields as the blade cuts through them. It hurts. It hurts incredibly much.
But he can't stop now. Not now that he finally has something that can actually stop this abomination.

Gelert draws up all the power he can summon and hurls the healing energy at Kaak-Shar like a weapon. "JUST. YOU. TRY. AND. STOP. ME!"

OOC: Toughness Save vs DC 70 1d20+53: 59 so fail by 11
And a Healing beam at him in response 1d20+49: 62
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird & Moonlight
Sacramento, California - State Capitol Building

"You assure me of this? You do?" the Governor says, looking at Nightbird, then Moonlight. "And you know of Lucienne and her Men in Black? Then perhaps the time has come to cast off our shackles."

He sits down heavily in his chair.

"Over a century ago," he begins, "Phoenix Bay was nearly destroyed by a devastating earthquake. "Funds and aid arrived from the East to rebuild it, but with money came the tendrils of power, of some ancient conspiracy that predates the founding of our nation. Lucienne Lightbringer and her Men in Black. I do not think her power is absolute. If it is, she is a very hands-off tyrant. We are left to our devices, for years at a time, until she wants something, that is, and the gears swing into motion..."

He shakes his head. "I never intended to become part of her grand conspiracy. I never planned to be her accomplice, willing or unwilling. But we politicians are unlike heroes. A little compromise here, a little concession there, all in the name of pragmatism and realpolitik, and before we realize it, we have sold out all our principles in the name of power."

He looks up at you seriously.

"If you can truly destroy Lucienne, I will help you in whatever little way I can. If you want to move against Cooper, you have my full support."
OOC

You can ask questions of the governor and speak with him further. Otherwise, your scene will end here, and I will move you forward to Shambhala. :D
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 4
Condition: Normal

"Thank you Governor, knowing that we have your support makes a big difference and yes like Lord Steel, Lucienne will be defeated and will no longer be a threat to anyone." Imogen replied reassuring the Governor, there was even a hint of compassion in her tone of voice something very unexpected considering her reputation.

"I am curious that for some inexplicable reason Cooper seems to consider himself more important in Lucienne's organisation and with what I know of him it just doesn't make sense. Do you have any idea why that is the case?"
OOC wrote: There is no need to answer the question if you would prefer to move straight to the next scene as I am just adding a bit of filler to keep my hand in :)
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird & Moonlight
Sacramento, California - State Capitol Building

The governor's nose wrinkles in disgust at the mention of Cooper. Resentment, perhaps? Resentment at being designated the inferior of such a man?

"Cooper is a fool and a pawn. He is a villain out of a saturday morning cartoon that Lucienne has loosed upon the world to provoke the rise of heroes who oppose him."

"Seventy years ago, the world defeated a terrible evil at the conclusion of World War II. And perhaps it was then that Lucienne came to a realization... she saw the power and potential of heroes and resolved to use them for her ends instead of destroy them. She founded S.P.E.C.T.R.U.M. to enslave countless American superhumans."

"I have heard from Cooper that the Justice Foundation's adventures in outer space provoked the Armada's arrival on Earth. In turn, the Armada turned Michelle Hong's from a maker of overpriced gadgets to a hero. It gave Philip Saito the dragon he now controls and made a corgi into a symbol of hope for all the world. Perhaps, by giving rise to the Champions, it indirectly brought you, miss, to Earth." He nods at Moonlight.

You realize that it made you the hero you are today as well, by killing Killpatrick.

"Do you see now? Lucienne wants heroes to appear and to oppose her. They end up tangled in her plots within plots, machinations decades and centuries old. She believes that Amethyst's world-changing technologies and the presence of Ozirian royalty on Earth will serve her purposes. She believe you will all bend the knee before her in the end. I implore you: do not let her be right."

An aide whispers in the governor's ear. "You must leave," he says curtly. "It is not safe for you to stay too long."

There is a note of real fear as the governor says: "For better or worse, I cast my lot with you. Please, I beg of you: end Lucienne and her shadowy conspiracy."

The governor's men usher you towards the door. But when it opens, there is no corridor beyond. Instead, the icy wind of a blizzard blasts through the door, sending papers and stationery flying and throwing back the guards, and you are swallowed up by frost and utter darkness.

OOC
This ends your scene. You will join the others in Shambhala soon; please hold. :)
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Gelert
Outer Space
OOC
You hit by a generous margin. Kaak-Shar's penalty to power level intensifies beyond -5, which ends this scene.
Kaak-Shar's titanic fiery sword bears down on you. By all rights, one would expect him to crush you like an insect.

But in the darkness of space, pure blue light flares and the insignia of the Guardians of Hope explodes into being before you like a shield. The gentle blue glow blows out his flames as easily as snuffing out a candle and with a final moan of despair, the Incarnate of War's titanic bulk goes floating past you, inert and drained of power. You have refused to add fuel to the fire of War, and now it is sputtering out! Is that a look of peace upon the thousands of faces inscribed upon Kaak-Shar's armor? Is it over?

But just as suddenly as it came to you, you feel the power of Hope fade. You have exhausted the final hope of all those slain Guardians. The blue glow dims, then winks out, leaving both of you floating in the blackness of the void.

You go tumbling through space, and then somehow, you feel cold winds envelop you, and a raging blizzard surround you. You are no longer in the weightless vacuum of space, and are falling, falling, falling through a snowstorm. From what seems like high above and far away, you hear Kaak-Shar's distant voice.

"NO POWER CAN SAVE YOU AND YOUR WORLD FROM ME FOREVER, LITTLE CANINE," booms the Incarnate in your mind. "IN YOUR FUTURE, THERE IS ONLY WAR."

The roar of the blizzard surrounds you as, somehow, you land softly in the snow and find yourself once more upon the slopes of the Himalayas in icy darkness.
OOC
Your power levels and abilities return to normal. Remember well the lessons you learned, for the time will come to take up arms against War once more.

This concludes your scene, and with all heroes ready to move on, I will advance us to Shambhala ASAP. :D
stavaros_the_arcane

Ysariel wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:58 pm Gelert

"NO POWER CAN SAVE YOU AND YOUR WORLD FROM ME FOREVER, LITTLE CANINE," booms the Incarnate in your mind. "IN YOUR FUTURE, THERE IS ONLY WAR."

The roar of the blizzard surrounds you as, somehow, you land softly in the snow and find yourself once more upon the slopes of the Himalayas in icy darkness.
OOC
Your power levels and abilities return to normal. Remember well the lessons you learned, for the time will come to take up arms against War once more.

This concludes your scene, and with all heroes ready to move on, I will advance us to Shambhala ASAP. :D
As Gelert finds himself up to his neck in snow, he lets out a tired sigh and just lets the snow support him for a while. The last words of the Incarnate send shivers up his spine that have nothing to do with the icy wind.

But he... no he'd had a lot of help... They'd done it. They'd stopped the unstoppable, beaten the unbeatable. Even if it wasn't forever...Gelert wasn't entirely sure what he'd just seen or done was real and not a dreamy-visiony-thing ... but it meant that it could be done. War itself could be defeated. There was still Hope.

"Forever is a long time, Mr.K. I'll take it one day at a time."

With that Gelert starts making his way through the snow. Like this.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All
Shambhala, the Golden City

Raging snow and utter darkness surround you. Knee-deep in ice, or perhaps engulfed in the blizzard, you walk or fly on through endless, pitiless cold.

Then the winds fade. The blizzard loses strength, and weakens to a gentle shower of snowflakes. The clouds part.

Blinding, beautiful golden light cuts through the dark, blasts aside the last dregs of the storm. As a group, you are miraculously reunited and emerged together into the afternoon sun on the slopes of the Himalayas. Before you rise titanic walls of mountain stone, vast quadrangular buildings, and roofs of bright ceramic tiles that reflect the sunlight in a dazzling golden display. You stand before Shambhala, the Golden City, the last refuge of wisdom and spirituality.
Nightbird: Perception

Looking upon the city, you realize that while the city's magical defenses may be formidable, physically it is very much a 16th-century era fortress and not immune to infiltration. After a few moments, you discern two possible means of entering the city secretly without notice.

You may scale the city walls directly. There is little cover and it would be a daunting climb, however the city being not under direct threat, the walls are not patrolled. This is the fastest entrance into the city, the primary challenge being the difficulty of scaling the fortress.

Alternately, you may attempt to enter through the city's water supply. You suspect that the city gets its water from mountain springs which enter through a guarded porticullis beside a watchtower. This would involve a slower and less direct route, the main difficulty being evading the sentries that would undoubtedly be stationed at the tower.

You may also chose not to infiltrate the city, and instead enter with the rest of the party. If you (and anyone else) infiltrate the city, you don't participate in the scene in my next post.
Before you, emerging from the rock and ice, is a flight of meandering stone steps leading up to the mountain. Zhang Chong-ren, the Lemurian boy, stands upon the stairs, waving to you.

"You did it! You were judged worthy, I knew you would!" he hisses in delight, jumping up and down on the stone, smoothed and rounded by thousands of years of footfalls. He turns and points to the city gates, gesturing at you with his other hand. "Look. Father is coming to meet us!"

There is a vast grinding sound of metal on stone, and the bronze city gates crawl open. A small party emerges from within.

They are a motley group of characters - here a woman in a wide-brimmed hat with a veil and dark gown, there a severe man in the robes of an eastern Taoist; there is a dark-skinned sorceress veiled in gauzy red robes, and a fierce shaman whose tribal tattoos and ritual scars

At their head is a Lemurian. One of the Serpent People who, like Zhang, is presumably a descendant of those who waged war against the hominid empire of Atlantis in ages past.

Zhang does introductions. "Great heroes, please meet my father, the High Master of Shambhala."

The High Master pays his own son no attention. Instead he looks at each of you through serpentine eyes, tasting the air with a flick of his tongue now and then.

After a moment he speaks: "The deeds of Phoenix Bay's heroes are well-known to us, and in decades past we fought side by side with heroes of the Justice Foundation against such foes as the Cult of the Endbringer. It pleases us, stewards of The Golden City, to once again welcome such mighty protectors to Shambhala."

"I prophesized your arrival in Kathamadu, and alerted my son, under the human alias Chong-ren, that you would seek him out. You have come at a most timely moment; the election of the new Master Mage is to be held, and it is fitting that it is held here, where mighty wards bar the unworthy and the wise stand guard over the Akashic library. I would ask of you help to guard the proceedings against sabotage and deceit."

He turns, and beckons you to enter the city with him.
OOC

You can accept or refuse the High Master's invitation. You can also question him or do anything else you consider reasonable.
Moonlight, Qora & Gelert: (Insight)

You sense that something is wrong. It is strange that the High Master made no attempt to contact you beforehand if he really desired your help to guard the election against fraud. This suggests that you are not truly welcome here and he is just making the best of your unexpected arrival. Zhang, on the other hand, is completely oblivious to any intrigue that might be going on.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 4 LP: 1
Condition: Normal

As soon as she entered the blizzard Imogen lost all track of Moonlight, her shouts drowned out by the raging wind, without any means of going back or locating Moonlight Imogen moved forwards into the blizzard. The wind and cold cut Imogen to the bone, every step was an effort for her even the trick shown to her by Kilpatrick that would mitigate the extremes of heat or cold had no effort (not that she had ever mastered it in the past she was more interested in learning the most effective way to hit and disable her opponents). Only the image of soaking in a full length hot bath and her own innate stubbornness kept her moving.

The sudden arrival on the slopes of the Himalayas below the Golden City nearly made her stumble, a quick glance confirmed that all her teammates were now standing beside her and had overcame their own challenges.
Ysariel wrote:
Nightbird: Perception

Looking upon the city, you realize that while the city's magical defenses may be formidable, physically it is very much a 16th-century era fortress and not immune to infiltration. After a few moments, you discern two possible means of entering the city secretly without notice.

You may scale the city walls directly. There is little cover and it would be a daunting climb, however the city being not under direct threat, the walls are not patrolled. This is the fastest entrance into the city, the primary challenge being the difficulty of scaling the fortress.

Alternately, you may attempt to enter through the city's water supply. You suspect that the city gets its water from mountain springs which enter through a guarded porticullis beside a watchtower. This would involve a slower and less direct route, the main difficulty being evading the sentries that would undoubtedly be stationed at the tower.

You may also chose not to infiltrate the city, and instead enter with the rest of the party. If you (and anyone else) infiltrate the city, you don't participate in the scene in my next post.
Sizing up the situation in front of her and still feeling slightly uncomfortable from their previous encounters with White Rose, what was and also wasn't mentioned in Kilpatrick's journals Imogen made a snap decision to do what she was good at.

"I am going to sneak into the city, something doesn't feel right and there is more chance I may find something out .." as she quickly explained her reasoning to her friends " ... I will catch up with you on the inside and if i get into trouble" Imogen tapped her ear with the commlink in it.

Checking that no one was observing them Imogen moved quickly becoming one with the shadows as she searched for the entrance for the water supply.
OOC wrote: Imogen will use Stealth Mastery (+24) as she searches for the entrance for the water supply.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai

"Be careful, Nightbird. They know you were with us in Kathamandu; it is doubtful they will believe you failed the test." Kisai nods to the heroine as she sneaks off to enter the city surreptitiously.

As they approach and the High Master gives his greeting, Kisai looks puzzled for a second. He had originally assumed the High Master had assumed another form during his test to avoid the appearance of impropriety. But this was all wrong. The bearing, the gait, the phrasing, everything was wrong. Whoever was there during his test was not the High Master standing before them. Perhaps a previous High Master?

As Kisai begins to consider the ramifications, the rot that has taken hold here, is this High Master part of it. Then he remembers the words.
Proud, stubborn and foolish perhaps, like so many in the Golden City, but not evil. The burden of guarding this world against horrors from beyond hangs heavily on so many of us, and our ideals warp and bend under its tremendous weight.
He wonders if this is to be his fate as well. Worn down from battle that it's hard to tell him from an enemy. He has never really trusted authority; not in school, definitely not his father, not even Agent Barrett who has been vouched for by all the team. Heck, even the demon says he's okay. Why does he see shadow in so many. It is truly exhausting.

But now is not the time for inner reflection. He was here to do a job. To find the Lightbringer's agent and protect the Akashic Records. And he had a part to play.

"Thank you for such a warm greeting, High Master. But the Champions are not here as guards."

He flips out his cape with a flourish.

"They are my entourage. They are here to witness my crowning as the next Master Mage."

Duh-duh-DUH! Let the games begin, he thinks to himself comically.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Qoraa immediately takes a flanking position, ready to take any attack upon him as Kisai's bodyguard, and her body language crystal clear that any unkindness upon him will be returned threefold.
stavaros_the_arcane

Ysariel wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:13 pm All

After a moment he speaks: "The deeds of Phoenix Bay's heroes are well-known to us, and in decades past we fought side by side with heroes of the Justice Foundation against such foes as the Cult of the Endbringer. It pleases us, stewards of The Golden City, to once again welcome such mighty protectors to Shambhala."

"I prophesized your arrival in Kathamadu, and alerted my son, under the human alias Chong-ren, that you would seek him out. You have come at a most timely moment; the election of the new Master Mage is to be held, and it is fitting that it is held here, where mighty wards bar the unworthy and the wise stand guard over the Akashic library. I would ask of you help to guard the proceedings against sabotage and deceit."

He turns, and beckons you to enter the city with him.
OOC

You can accept or refuse the High Master's invitation. You can also question him or do anything else you consider reasonable.
Moonlight, Qora & Gelert: (Insight)

You sense that something is wrong. It is strange that the High Master made no attempt to contact you beforehand if he really desired your help to guard the election against fraud. This suggests that you are not truly welcome here and he is just making the best of your unexpected arrival. Zhang, on the other hand, is completely oblivious to any intrigue that might be going on.
Something about this smelled metaphorically fishy to Gelert, but there was no sense being rude to their host. Let the team's sneaky ninja lady do the sneaking, in the mean time Gelert follows the fancy dressed people into the city.

"So how's this election work exactly?"
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Aranel immediately flanks Kisai on the opposite side from Qora, keeping an eye on the High master. His words just now and actions do not match up and she doesn't trust him, despite what Zhang said about his father.

[OOC: Sorry, forgot this was updated until just now. Will check in more often from now on. Please PM me on here or message me on Skype if I need to make a post or such and it has been more than 2-3 days without me responding. Holidays always mess up my sense of time.]
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All
Gelert wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:45 am "So how's this election work exactly?"
The eastern Taoist priest strokes his beard and answers. "By ancient compact between mortal and spirit, in times of terrible need, human mages have elected one of their own to receive the blessing of Earth's mightiest guardian spirits and lead the united forces of mortal wizards into battle against evil."

He clears his throat. "Those who think themselves fit for the mantle of Master Mage will assemble with their retinues, and pit their might and wits against the other contenders. The victors will then be presented before the four mightiest guardian spirits of our world. He or she who receives the unanimous blessing of all four spirits is Earth's Master Mage."
Moonlight

You recall from your conversation with Shrinking Violet that it is highly likely that Lucienne has subuded three of the four guardian spirits. This means that the entire election is already a sham, and there is no way the victor of the contest can be appointed Master Mage. No doubt, this is why Lucienne wanted Kisai's dragon. She would be able to appoint her own puppet, or perhaps even herself, as Master Mage, and gain access to the Akashic Library.

Feel free to tell them - or keep secret - your guess than Lucienne already has control of the three spirits, or reveal it at the most dramatic moment of your choosing!
"Only once have the spirits acted of their own accord," wheezes the woman in the elegant dark gown. "In the 1940's, against the terrible evil of the Third Reich, the spirits roused from slumber without human intervention, and raised up Adrian Eldritch as Earth's Master Mage."

"Eldritch was an abberration, an exception," scoffs the bronze-skinned woman veiled in gauzy red. "He was a desperate choice made at a desperate time, when the magical worlds of China, Europe, India, the Middle East, the New World and Japan had variously been destroyed, routed into hiding, or taken control of by evil regimes. The spirits chose him only because there were none left to be elected."

The shaman covered in ritual scars and tribal tattoos makes a gesture of disgust. "Eldritch refused to relinquish the seat of Master Mage after the war, and we have never accepted his claim as legitimate," he says. "He should have surrendered his power when the last armistice was signed. His refusal to do so reveals him for what he is - corrupt and power-hungry. Now he even seeks to subvert the process by appointing that girl, Seven, as his own successor, like some wretched sorceror-king of eld!"