Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
stavaros_the_arcane

Re: Adventures Assemble: If This Be Doomsday!

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:44 pm "But of course that is what you would say, my dear Gelert? Your species, the domestic dog, has grow alongside Homo Sapiens for some ten thousand years. Humankind has exploited you for free labour and unquestioning companionship, inflicted on you inbreeding and mutilation to fit its idea of what an ideal housepet should be like. Your entire species has been subverted by humankind to its own advantage and yet you blindly defend your unwitting tyrants. BWAHAHAHAHA!"
Although his body is not designed to be able to actually do so, Gelert gives the impression of shrugging.
And like an animal appliance from the Flintstones says "Its a living."

And blasts her again.

OOC: Blast: Damage 12 1d20+10: 20
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Qora & Gelert
The Akashic Library

With precision that would make a surgeon jealous, Lucienne shifts exactly the distance required to dodge Qora's charge by an inch and Gelert's beam of light burns at her luminous form but fails to seriously damage her. She laughs as her halo of light glows and and rains down bolts of destruction in return.

"Enough of your half-hearted attacks. Witness my ascension!"

Lucienne raises her hands, and the cavern trembles. The charms and talismans left by a thousand generations of magi tinkle as the entire cavern floor rips itself free of the earth. You, the gate to the Akashic Library, Lucienne herself -- all begin to float upward at a rapidly-accelerating pace.

You soar through the tunnel cut by Lucienne's devastating attack, soar above the fiery ruins of destroyed Shambhala and into the sky. Above you, through smoke and the sun's dimming light, you see a dull red glow in the sky. Kaak-Shar, deprived of Battlefleet Prime and his countless trophies, as arrived at Earth for his final conquest, and his wrath is immeasurable.

And then --

"Do not listen to her, Gelert!"

There is the snap of a teleportation spell, and suddenly a dozen Lemurians stand by you on the battlefield. It is the High Master of Shambhala and the Lemurian conspirators you fought earlier. With them are Simon and Zhang Chong-Ren, the High Master's son.

"Gelert, remember!" Simon cries. "Remember all the children you made laugh. Remember all the lives you touched and all the smiles you brought to people! There's selfish cruelty aplenty in the world, Gelert. But there's also something else, something far, far stronger that makes this world worth it!"

"Sins of the fathers shall be absolved by the sons," Zhang intones. "Together we will make right the wrongs of old. Together!"

The High Master slams his staff into the ground. "Lemurians and hominids shall stand together in Earth's defense today. Hazzvarash! This is your moment!"

Nightbird sees one of the Lemurians fling herself bodily at Lucienne with a shriek, and remembers. It is the Lemurian sorceress who held Zhang hostage atop the keep - the one surrounded by unbelievably powerful counterspells!

Lucienne seizes Hazzvarash by the throat and effortlessly snaps it, killing the Lemurian. But even as Lucienne does, her divine light falters and dims. The Lemurian counterspells cannot fully nullify a Star God's power - even a weakened one - but they take their toll.

"Too... late..." hisses Hazzvarash at Lucienne, grinning toothily in final defiance, before she dies, redemption complete.
OOC
Lucienne then uses Light of Judgment on Qora and Gelert as a reaction.
AA Lucienne attack vs Qora, Gelert:
1D20+10 = [17]+10 = 27
1D20+10 = [11]+10 = 21

Hits both; both of you must make a DC 30 Toughness check.

On her turn Lucienne uses Stairway to Heaven. She rips the gate of the Akashic Library and the entire base of the cavern from the ground, and begins to levitate it upwards towards space. This power is Concentration duration, so Lucienne does not attack this round.

Immediately after, the High Master and the Lemurian traitors teleport in and fight as a single unit. As a plot device, one of the Lemurians uses her power-nullifying aura on Lucienne, reducing all her Effect ranks by 10 for 1 round.

Round 2
42 Lucienne Lightbringer (-2, Effect ranks -10 until R3i42, Vulnerable until R2i19)
-- Lemurians
21 Moonlight *
19 Nightbird (higher bonus)
19 Kisai
15 Qora
09 Gelert

Moonlight is up!
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
HP: 3.2 LP: 0
Condition: -1 Toughness [heals in 3 rounds]

"We won't let their sacrifice be in vain. We need to hit her hard and fast!" A look of pure fury like a volcano about to erupt on her face, her eyes blazing white like the flames she wields. At first, the power around Lucienne seems to make Aranel's flames begin to sputter before they suddenly flare into a blaring white fire tornado around the would-be goddess.

OOC: Elemental Blast [fire descriptor], +5 DC, -5 Atk: Attack roll: 1d20+7 15 HP to reroll: Attack roll: 1d20+7 22 DC 30
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Moonlight
Above Shambhala

The firestorm swirls about Lucienne and the surface of the Akashic gate itself glows bright with its reflected light. For a moment, Lucienne's beautiful form is visible through the inferno only as a misshapen, vaguely-humanoid figure, screaming in rage. She shudders, and the flames about her momentarily take the form of great feathered wings before extinguishing entirely. Kisai recognizes the shape: it is Suzaku of the South, Simurgh, Phoenix, the firebird of legend.

"The spirits. The spirits are trying to break free!" the High Master exclaims. "Somewhere inside her are the remaining three guardian spirits. Free them, now that she has been so kind as to bring them to our doorstep!"
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 10
Kisai senses that elemental powers with more degrees of success might have an effect.
OOC
AA Lucienne Toughness DC 30: 1D20+20-12 = [17]+20-12 = 25
With a 17 on the die, Lucienne still only takes 1 degree of failure, bringing her to -3.

Lucienne then uses Light of Judgment on Moonlight as a reaction.
AA Lucienne attack vs Moonlight: 1D20+10 = [3]+10 = 13

Misses, no effect

Round 2
42 Lucienne Lightbringer (-3, Effect ranks -10 until R3i42)
-- Lemurians
21 Moonlight
19 Nightbird (higher bonus) *
19 Kisai
15 Qora
09 Gelert

Nightbird is up!
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 5 LP: 1
Condition: Normal

Seeing the ease with which Lucienne was shrugging of their attacks Imogen decided to change tack, maybe she could unsettle the wannebe godling, although the arrogance that Lucienne was displaying made Lord Steel look like ... well someone who wouldn't say boo to a goose.

"Wow is that the best you can do after so looong waiting, were you too terrified to show your face before now. I mean if I was as empty as you then I would cower and hide in the deepest pit I could find as well. And now that you have appeared in all your "glory" ... "

you could almost see the quote marks round the word 'glory' as Imogen spoke

" ... we meer mortals are still kicking your regal behind. I mean would you want to show your face in heaven hell wherever after this pitiful display. Really you are nothing and not even a footnote in history."

OOC

Use intimidation to demoralise Lucienne
Nightbird Intimidation: 1d20+11 30
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird
Above Shambhala

If Lucienne still had an eyebrow on her face of exotic subatomic particles it would be twitching. Her luminous body is pure, bright white, and where your attacks have cracked her skin to reveal the dark matter beneath it is as black as deepest space. But on all those alien, godlike features there is a very familiar, very human emotion - wounded pride.

"Not a footnote, you say?"

"A pitiful display, you say?"

Lucienne spreads her hands wide. "It seems killing your beloved mentor was letting you off easy. Yes. Killpatrick died by my hand! Him, and the Saito heir, and Michelle's brother, too. It was I who drew the attention of Kinian Khan's Armada, I who lured its scouting forces to Phoenix Bay where they killed him. Chew on that as you die, emphemeral vermin!"

She is so distracted by her evil gloating that for a critical moment she leaves herself open.
OOC
Lucienne has a (relatively) low Insight but is technically fearless. But it seems a shame to just invalidate a good post and characters that invest into social skills for that. So, I will rule that instead of being immune, intimidation against her works as Taunt. Not only does this seem to fit your post better, and still has the same effect of demoralize, but Satan's chief sin was Pride after all.

AA Lucienne Insight DC 30: 1D20+8 = [3]+8 = 11
Demoralized, -2 all checks until the end of your next turn

Interaction skills do not provoke the Light of Judgment

Round 2
42 Lucienne Lightbringer (-3, Demoralized, Effect ranks -10 until R3i42)
-- Lemurians
21 Moonlight
19 Kisai *
15 Qora
09 Gelert

Kisai is up!
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai
HP: 5 (-1=4), Condition: Bruised x1, Fatigued at end of round

Philip places himself point-blank with Lucienne, with his two teammates flanking him so they won't get hit by what he does next.

"Ahh, isn't that sweet. You're trying to take credit for someone else's actions... just like every other loser we have defeated."

"Seiryu has a message for you."

The Dragon rises up behind him with a roar.

"Die."

Seiryu then unleashes a torrent of flame on the self-proclaimed Lightbringer.
Spent and HP to counter Fatigue
Move so teammates are outside of the cone area.
Use Dragon Fire, DC 21/26 Cone Area.
Use Extra effort for another action and repeat.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 5 LP: 1
Condition: Normal

"What did you just say?" Imogen couldn't help herself reacting to Lucienne's gloat, the Star God's acknowledgment of setting in motion the invasion that led to so much destruction and death in Phoenix Bay felt like a kick in the stomach.

Centering herself, Imogen made minute changes in her stance and posture, she now knew what she was going to do.

"Take her down."
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

With Kisai going, I can finally take my turn

Qora
HP 3 -> 2

Toughness: 1d20+14 22

hp to reroll
Toughness: 1d20+14 33

well, I have to pay that back:
attack: 1d20+8 28. Natural 20, so that's DC 34 TOU
---

Wordlessly, Qora roars through the searing light to tackle and mercilessly pummel the Lightbringer, refusing to stop until one of them falls
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Kisai
Above Shambhala

Under your guidance Seiryu roars right in Lucienne's face, and the torrent of flame burns away her hair, the last vestige of her human facade. The fire flows past her features, pure and white-hot, and blossoms behind her into the form of a great phoenix, its eyes staring down at you like newborn stars. A woman's voice says in your head: "I thank you, bearer of the dragon. You have restored the flame of the south to burn bright and pure and forever free." The fire flares powerfully, and Suzaku is gone.

"Unforgivable!" Lucienne screeches, and white light lances out from her halo to strike you. But her luminous power is weak and faltering compared to before, suppressed by the Lemurians' most ancient and potent curses.

You are very, very high above Shambhala by now; the city below you is a dot among the vastness of the Himalayas. You are high enough to see the curvature of Earth's surface, and the speed at which the chunk of rock both you and the Library stand on seems to be accelerating. High above, in orbit over the planet, is Kaak-Shar's burning form, War Incarnate.
OOC

With -3 from bruises, -2 from demoralize, and -10 from the Lemurians, Lucienne's defenses are at a remarkable -15.

AA Lucienne Lightbringer Dodge DC 21, Toughness DC 26/21: 1D20+20-15 = [5]+20-15 = 10
1D20+20-15 = [2]+20-15 = 7

Failed 3 degrees.
Instead of suffering the Staggered condition, as a plot device Lucienne loses Suzaku of the South. This lowers her PL and all traits by 2, and Kisai gains 1 HP.

AA Lucienne Lightbringer Dodge DC 21, Toughness DC 26/21: 1D20+20-15 = [11]+20-15 = 16
1D20+20-16 = [6]+20-16 = 10

Failed 3 degrees, Staggered.

Lucienne then uses Light of Judgment on Kisai as a reaction and hits. Make a DC 18 (yes 18) Toughness check vs Damage.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Qora
Above Shambhala

You lunge in, dodging the laserlike beams from Lucienne's halo, and connect with a mighty torrent of punches. With immense satisfaction your knuckles snap her head first this way, then that, smashing fist against cheek again and again. Your final blow lands with such terrifying force it smashes Lucienne's entire head to bits, like a doll's porcelain head.

Her body trails smoky black exotic matter from her neck for a moment, which coalesces behind her into the form of a titanic tortoise, green-black scales crusted with countless eons of algae and barnacles, a flowing white beard from its beak. "Well done, daughter of Oziri," it says, and a throaty laugh fills the air. "Take heart. You have only a little more to go, before final victory is yours."

The tortoise's form dissipates into black smoke, but even as it does, the shattered fragments of Lucienne's head reassemble themselves into her evil, grinning face. "Not... enough..." she croaks, smiling through immense strain.
OOC
AA Lucienne Lightbringer Toughness DC 34: 1D20+20-18 = [17]+20-18 = 19
Failed 3 degrees.
Instead of suffering the Staggered condition, as a plot device, Lucienne loses Genbu of the North. This lowers her PL and all traits by another 2, and Qora gains 1 HP.

Lucienne then uses Light of Judgment on Qora as a reaction but misses.

Round 2
42 Lucienne Lightbringer (-6, Demoralized, Power Level -4, Effect ranks -10 until R3i42)
-- Lemurians
21 Moonlight
19 Kisai
15 Qora
09 Gelert *

Gelert is up!
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:15 pm "Do not listen to her, Gelert!"

There is the snap of a teleportation spell, and suddenly a dozen Lemurians stand by you on the battlefield. It is the High Master of Shambhala and the Lemurian conspirators you fought earlier. With them are Simon and Zhang Chong-Ren, the High Master's son.

"Gelert, remember!" Simon cries. "Remember all the children you made laugh. Remember all the lives you touched and all the smiles you brought to people! There's selfish cruelty aplenty in the world, Gelert. But there's also something else, something far, far stronger that makes this world worth it!"

"Sins of the fathers shall be absolved by the sons," Zhang intones. "Together we will make right the wrongs of old. Together!"

The High Master slams his staff into the ground. "Lemurians and hominids shall stand together in Earth's defense today. Hazzvarash! This is your moment!"
Gelert's face is technically not capable of a real smile. In light of seeing everyone rallying together to counter the threat of annihilation he has the happiest damn doggy face in the world.

His ring flares, its light blazing and brilliant.
"The cavalry's here. Everyone's behind us. Lucienne, you are going DOWN!"
Ysariel wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:15 pm
OOC
Lucienne then uses Light of Judgment on Qora and Gelert as a reaction.
AA Lucienne attack vs Qora, Gelert:
1D20+10 = [17]+10 = 27
1D20+10 = [11]+10 = 21

Hits both; both of you must make a DC 30 Toughness check.
Toughness: 1d20+13: 29
1 degree of failure. Bruised -1

Lucienne's counterattack hurts but Gelert rushes on even as it burns through his shields singeing patches of his fur.
Ysariel wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:36 pm Kisai
Above Shambhala

Under your guidance Seiryu roars right in Lucienne's face, and the torrent of flame burns away her hair, the last vestige of her human facade. The fire flows past her features, pure and white-hot, and blossoms behind her into the form of a great phoenix, its eyes staring down at you like newborn stars. A woman's voice says in your head: "I thank you, bearer of the dragon. You have restored the flame of the south to burn bright and pure and forever free." The fire flares powerfully, and Suzaku is gone.
Ysariel wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:39 pm Qora
Above Shambhala

You lunge in, dodging the laserlike beams from Lucienne's halo, and connect with a mighty torrent of punches. With immense satisfaction your knuckles snap her head first this way, then that, smashing fist against cheek again and again. Your final blow lands with such terrifying force it smashes Lucienne's entire head to bits, like a doll's porcelain head.

Her body trails smoky black exotic matter from her neck for a moment, which coalesces behind her into the form of a titanic tortoise, green-black scales crusted with countless eons of algae and barnacles, a flowing white beard from its beak. "Well done, daughter of Oziri," it says, and a throaty laugh fills the air. "Take heart. You have only a little more to go, before final victory is yours."

The tortoise's form dissipates into black smoke, but even as it does, the shattered fragments of Lucienne's head reassemble themselves into her evil, grinning face. "Not... enough..." she croaks, smiling through immense strain.
And that's when Gelert zips up next to her head. "But wait, there's more!" Before blasting the weakened Stargod.
"You thought you could break us, drive wedges between us with fear and confusion, steal away the strengths of others for your own gain. How's that working out for you? Not too good it seems to me."

OOC: Blast 1d20+10: 24 DC27
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Gelert
Above Shambhala

Your point-blank blast hits her in the ear and blasts little bits of glittering, porcelain-like shell off her skull to reveal the swirling exotic matter beneath. Lucienne shudders, and a ghostly shadow swirls out of her orifices to form into the phantom of a great white tiger.

"To think that I would owe my freedom to a pup!" booms a bemused voice. "My thanks, little one. You are truly the bringer of Hope."

There is the roar of a mighty tiger,
OOC
AA Lucienne Toughness DC 27: 1D20+20-17 = [5]+20-17 = 8

Failed 4 degrees. As a plot device, instead of suffering the Unconscious condition, Lucienne loses Byakko of the West and Gelert gains 1 HP.
All
Above Shambhala

The platform of stone, Akashic gate on it, continues to rise at accelerating speed. You are high above the Himalayan mountain range, the smoking ruins of Shambhala a tiny dot below you, and from here you can see the curvature of the Earth's surface.

"Ahh! All the guardians are gone," Lucienne says, and for the first time you hear a little wistfulness in her inhuman voice. "I had hoped that it would not come to this. But I have come too far to stop now. If this is the sacrifice I must make, then so be it!"

She turns, makes a fist with one hand, and shatters the gate of the Akashic Library.

The strongest wards ever laid down by mortals, the work of generation upon generation of Master Mages, crumple. The stone gate explodes and hurls chunks of molten rock into the deep blue sky. Through the hole in the gate you see a nothingness so pure and absolute, it is not even black. No light penetrates into the forbidden dimension where the secret knowledge of Master Mages past is hoarded.

No light but the Morningstar's. Lucienne reaches in with her right arm, and screams as the wards burn her horribly: her porcelain skin turns angry red, then magma-orange, and melts off her arm. She reaches deep in, all the way to her shoulder, and you see disintegrating fingers pluck a single, glowing spell out of the Library. She reaches up with her good hand to catch it as her right arm disintegrates all the way up to the shoulder, and this time, it does not regenerate.

She holds up her prize with her good hand, a single glowing mote of light. "Do you see this, maggots? The spell that will end civilization on this world: BABEL!"

"I will eradicate all tongues and reduce you to speaking your most ancient, primal language: violence and terror. There will be no diplomacy, no dialogue, no understanding. There will only be war!"

"Earth will descend into an orgy of bloodshed as you sort out your myriad differences in the only way left to you. With this act, I shall prove myself the embodiment of War Incarnate, and take Kaak-Shar's place."

She grins. And then her voice grows intimate.

"And when you have finished painting the planet red with your massacres and genocides, I will descend once more. I will make you mighty, raise you high, and bring you to the stars. All humanity will be my heralds - my standard bearers - in a future grim and dark where the galaxy burns with the fire of unending war. Bwahahahaha!"
OOC
At the start of her next turn Lucienne's powers return to normal, and she no longer has -10 effect ranks.

Lucienne maintains her concentration duration telekinesis. She also surges and uses [UNTRANSLATABLE] on the gate of the Akashic Library, destroying it and withdrawing the spell Babel from within. However, doing so irreversibly cripples her: she suffers another -2 PL, for a total of -8 PL after losing all 3 guardian spirits.

The Lemurians delay their action until after Nightbird. This is an OOC editorial decision, to avoid making posts that are too long all at once; it is not any deliberate tactical decision or deception on their part.

Round 3
42 Lucienne Lightbringer (-7, Demoralized, Power Level -8)
21 Moonlight *
-- Lemurians (delaying)
19 Kisai
15 Qora
09 Gelert

Moonlight is up!
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
HP: 2 LP: 0
Condition: -1 Toughness [heals in 2 rounds]

"A fallen goddess drove mad, to think I would get to see such a sight in my life. You would take away the free will of living beings, push them towards only violence, and plunge the universe into a state where peace is all but forgotten. The world, the universe, has no want nor need of such. Today nature itself will answer, helping to burn away the plague you would unleash." With a force of will alone, Aranel begins to gather every spark, every ember of flame left from her previous attacks, and stokes them bigger and brighter with each moment until a massive fireball of white-hot flames hovers over Lucienne. Waving her arms in a downward motion, Aranel wills the fireball to descend with the speed of a comet upon the mad ex-goddess.

OOC: Elemental Blast [fire descriptor] +5 DC/-5 Atk: Attack roll: 1d20+7 25 DC 30 if that hits.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Moonlight
Above Shambhala

The comet of flame explodes on Lucienne's head and leaves a black starburst pattern on the ground where she stands before the ruined Akashic gate. Through the fire, you see her body is beginning to shudder and fall apart; bits and pieces of her exotic-matter form crumbling away at the edges and wisping away into smoke. Her one good hand clutches the glowing spell shakily.

But the clearest sign that you have struck a telling blow is that her mouth is shut.

"She is almost beaten! Do not relent!" the High Master urges.
OOC
AA Lucienne Toughness DC 30: 1D20+20-17 = [15]+20-15 = 18
Failed 3 degrees. Lucienne is Staggered now.
"Oh no no you don't. You do not hurt my friends and turn my planet into a bad WH40K parody."

Lucienne's glowing halo lights up as it prepares to rain holy judgment on you. However, before she can do so, the flying chunk of rock you stand on shudders as a much larger entity draws close. Your headquarters - Lord Steel's crashed battleship - roars into the sky. Gone is the rusted hull and the dirty thermonuclear drives; in their place have been installed lightweight composite armor, shield projectors and hyperdrive engines. On the bridge, at the controls, stands Amethyst, her suit plugged directly into the ship's core through power cables that drive the vessel.

Amy's voice fills the air from speakers in the hull. "Matching course and velocity. Engaging shield drones. Deploying launch bay." Dozens of shield drones swoop down and deploy forcefields. Lucienne's Light of Judgment obliterates them but the absorb the retribution intended to burn Moonlight to a crisp. The launch bay swings open and there stand Glitch, and Beatrice, and dozens of other heroes, hastily assembled from all over the United States and the world. Together they open fire on Lucienne in a rain of missiles, energy blasts, telekinetic shockwaves, explosive arrows and ninja stars. Lucienne's halo shoots down the projectiles in a dazzling rain of light but you sense that with her defenses occupied she is vulnerable.
OOC
As Moonlight's turn ends Amethyst and friends join the battle. Their attacks saturate Lucienne's defenses, and therefore her Light of Judgment no longer counterattacks.

Round 3
42 Lucienne Lightbringer (-7, Demoralized, Power Level -8)
21 Moonlight
19 Nightbird*(higher bonus)
-- Lemurians (delaying)
19 Kisai
15 Qora
09 Gelert

Nightbird is up!